This thread was locked on 2010-03-08 06:50:23
Forums > Model Colloquy > Is there a way to warn models about bad photograph

Model

Aisha Rose

Rio de Janeiro, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil

I had a shoot that ended up sending me to the hospital because of bad preparation and a pushy photographer. He would not listen to me when I told him I was in pain... is there a way to red flag photographers like this?

Mar 07 10 08:23 pm Link

Photographer

Good Egg Productions

Orlando, Florida, US

Aisha Rose wrote:
I had a shoot that ended up sending me to the hospital because of bad preparation and a pushy photographer. He would not listen to me when I told him I was in pain... is there a way to red flag photographers like this?

Seems like that might be a case for law enforcement or a lawyer.

Unfortunately, you're quite vague here and we are only hearing one side of the story.

Are there any details to this claim?

Mar 07 10 08:27 pm Link

Photographer

Lifestyles photography

Jasper, Missouri, US

When a model calls you to check his referances you give them an honest reference.
There is a strict no Outing rule on MM

But at some point some of the responsabilty has to fall on you. If you were in so much pain you ended up in the hospital at some point you have to say to hell with this and stop doing what ever he was asking you to do.  I am not excuseing his behavior however as a photographer I have worked numerous times with with woman doing boudoir shots and it is my job to push them as far as they will be pushed. I know the two may not be the same but in the future it is your job to say when enough is enough.
wayne

Mar 07 10 08:29 pm Link

Photographer

SLE Photography

Orlando, Florida, US

Aisha Rose wrote:

What, EXACTLY, happened?  Bad preparation on WHOSE part?  Please explain what you mean by "in pain" and why you had to go to the hospital, and if these were things the photographer was aware of & understood?  Why, when you were in pain and he refused to listen, did you not just STOP and LEAVE?

Those're all some REALLY pertinent questions here, CERTAINLY things people deserve to know before someone's reputation is smeared.

What you are ALLOWED to do on MM is put "I do not recommend so-and-so" and then tell people why if they ask you, but ONLY in private messages.  Be aware, tho, that many photographers see such a listing as a big red "do not work with her" flag.  You are also certainly allowed to tell models in your area.

However, be aware that people will ask you questions like the ones I asked, and will wonder about YOU if there aren't good answers.

Honestly, from what you posted so far this sounds like a classic she-said situation where it looks like a good chunk of the blame is on YOUR shoulders... absent any details to the contrary.

Part of the problem with "warnings" is that they're often hearsay of questionable nature & many of us are loathe to slam someone on one disgruntled person's word.  You may be 100% right in this situation and bear NO blame, but no one's going to take that on faith.

Mar 07 10 08:31 pm Link

Model

Aisha Rose

There are a number of details, and I do have a witness who literally carried me away to safety. I might bring the law into this, which is why I am not giving too many details here, just in case it hinders my case.
But is there anything on MM that would let me warn other models about this guy??

Mar 07 10 08:32 pm Link

Photographer

Connor Photography

Newark, Delaware, US

Aisha Rose wrote:

1.  Need more details
2.  If you are in pain, why don't you stop and walk out.  Safety comes first.
3.  Can this be a case of poor communication?
4.  Three sides of argument here.

Photographer

Good Egg Productions

Orlando, Florida, US

Lifestyles photography wrote:
When a model calls you to check his referances you give them an honest reference.
There is a strict no Outing rule on MM

But at some point some of the responsabilty has to fall on you. If you were in so much pain you ended up in the hospital at some point you have to say to hell with this and stop doing what ever he was asking you to do.  I am not excuseing his behavior however as a photographer I have worked numerous times with with woman doing boudoir shots and it is my job to push them as far as they will be pushed. I know the two may not be the same but in the future it is your job to say when enough is enough.
wayne

You're probably going to wish you didn't type this.

Model

Aisha Rose

I could not walk out! I was nearly unconscious, I could not stand on my own... and he kept taking pictures!

Mar 07 10 08:34 pm Link

Photographer

Good Egg Productions

Orlando, Florida, US

Aisha Rose wrote:
There are a number of details, and I do have a witness who literally carried me away to safety. I might bring the law into this, which is why I am not giving too many details here, just in case it hinders my case.
But is there anything on MM that would let me warn other models about this guy??

If you're not going to share details:

1.  We can't really offer you suggestions or help, since without these details, any suggestions we offer could be irrelevant.

2.  You should have never posted this.

Mar 07 10 08:35 pm Link

Model

Iona Lynn

Oakland, California, US

Lifestyles photography wrote:
I am not excuseing his behavior however as a photographer I have worked numerous times with with woman doing boudoir shots and it is my job to push them as far as they will be pushed. I know the two may not be the same but in the future it is your job to say when enough is enough.
wayne

Bull fucking shit, it is your job to push clients, No self respecting business person will agree with that statement.

Photographer

5th Element Photography

Manteca, California, US

Aisha Rose wrote:
I could not walk out! I was nearly unconscious, I could not stand on my own... and he kept taking pictures!

What did he make you do? were you holding your breath or something?

Photographer

Lumigraphics

Detroit, Michigan, US

Aisha Rose wrote:

You are allowed to put on your profile: MM#XXXXXX not recommended

Be aware that people will ask both you and that person what happened...

As for this thread, so far you have:

1. made vague allegations against a photographer

2. refused to go into any kind of detail

3. given only one tiny part of one side of the story

People are going to be rather skeptical unless you can do a LOT better than that. We have no idea what you are even going to warn about.

Mar 07 10 08:36 pm Link

Photographer

5th Element Photography

Manteca, California, US

Iona Lynn wrote:

Bull fucking shit, it is your job to push clients, No self respecting business person will agree with that statement.

lol I was thinking the same thing

Mar 07 10 08:37 pm Link

Photographer

Connor Photography

Newark, Delaware, US

Aisha Rose wrote:

1.  Why would it hinder your case? 
2.  Are you manipulate the situation to get rich ?
3.  If you bring legal action against the photographer, I am sure everyone here will know.  You don't need to warn others.

Photographer

M Pandolfo Photography

Tampa, Florida, US

Aisha Rose wrote:
He would not listen to me when I told him I was in pain...

Such pain that it required you go to the hospital. Did he handcuff you and force you to remain at the shoot against your will? Did he threaten your well-being if you left? Those would both be actions that would warrant contacting the police.

Short of that, which I'm not hearing is the case, the only one to blame if the photographer WANTED you to stay and you accommodated the request, is you.

The bottom line is you could have said you were in pain, he could have pressed you to suck it up and work. But you made the choice to stay when you certainly had an opportunity to leave (unless the above factors were true).

We certainly don't know all the details. But to complain about the photographer after the fact because he was pushing for you to continue to work while you were in pain (and you stayed) really doesn't raise any red flags for me.

What was the "bad preparation"? Is this a shoot you should have even attended in the first place if there was a pre-existing condition?

Photographer

DigitAl Photographix

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia

I don't know the laws in your country but, regardless of the nation, the photographer OWES a DUTY OF CARE (as does any citizen) to you . . . and especially so as he has employed you (even in "time for" situations)

The health and safety of everyone at the shoot comes before the actual act of photographing. It is paramount. I am sure he would not want YOU to keep posing if he had collapsed with a stroke or heart attack.

See a lawyer . . . preferably one experienced in Workcare issues.

Good luck,
Al
in Melbourne, Victoria, Australia

Mar 07 10 08:38 pm Link

Photographer

M Pandolfo Photography

Tampa, Florida, US

Aisha Rose wrote:

How could you be both unconscious and telling him how much pain you were in?

Edit: And there was another person there on the shoot that had to carry you to safety. What was this person doing when this photographer was forcing you to stay and shoot and ignoring your pain? Why did this person wait until you were nearly unconscious to carry you off to safety?

And I'm still wondering how your initial statement of being unprepared plays into this. Was there a pre-existing condition?

I'm sure I'm wrong but this just smells like a big tuna and drama sandwich

Mar 07 10 08:40 pm Link

Photographer

Image K

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Aisha Rose wrote:

No...and rightfully so, since we are only getting one side of the story.

Mar 07 10 08:40 pm Link

Photographer

SLE Photography

Orlando, Florida, US

Aisha Rose wrote:

Wait, WHAT?  You had a "witness" there and you were STILL in such "danger" that you might bring the law in?  Your "witness" had to "carry" you away to "safety" but between the 2 of you there was no way you could just LEAVE?  Was the photographer holding you at GUNPOINT or something?

I'm sorry, this's sounding more than a bit unreal.

Like I said, you can put a "I do not recommend" note on your profile, but that's it... and most folks will take that as a sign not to work with you.

Mar 07 10 08:41 pm Link

Model

Aisha Rose

Look all I wanted to know is if there was some way to warn models about him... I'm not trying to offend anyone, I was just asking a question. I'm sorry if my not giving details angers anyone, but that is between me, him, and if I so chose the courts. I just wanted one question answered that is all. Sorry I asked.

Model

Aswald

Detroit, Michigan, US

You need to post details. If you want help from us, but currently this story is sounding a bit odd.

Photographer

SLE Photography

Orlando, Florida, US

Aisha Rose wrote:

neutral

So why did you ALLOW it to get to that point?  Obviously you must have some sort of medical condition?  You still haven't explained "preparation."  Was the photographer fully aware of health issues?

From looking at your portfolio, you don't do any bondage or fetish work.  The ONLY thing I can think of is since you have a lot of corset shots you overdid a tight-lace.  If so, especially if the photographer's not familiar with corsetry, that's FAR more on YOU than on the photographer.  If I'm right, you should've said "Screw this" and stopped MUCH sooner and loosened the damn thing.

Mar 07 10 08:43 pm Link

Model

Miss AY

Bulqizë, Bulqizë, Albania

SLE Photography wrote:

Wait, WHAT?  You had a "witness" there and you were STILL in such "danger" that you might bring the law in?  Your "witness" had to "carry" you away to "safety" but between the 2 of you there was no way you could just LEAVE?  Was the photographer holding you at GUNPOINT or something?

Like I said, you can put a "I do not recommend" note on your profile, but that's it... and most folks will take that as a sign not to work with you.

this. seriously.

OP, it sucks that you were put in a bad situation. but man up, and take care of yourself. if someone is pushing you to the point of severe pain, you need to put your big girls panties on and STOP.

Mar 07 10 08:43 pm Link

Photographer

M Pandolfo Photography

Tampa, Florida, US

SLE Photography wrote:

Ding. Ding. Ding.

Mar 07 10 08:44 pm Link

Photographer

Lumigraphics

Detroit, Michigan, US

Aisha Rose wrote:
Look all I wanted to know is if there was some way to warn models about him... I'm not trying to offend anyone, I was just asking a question. I'm sorry if my not giving details angers anyone, but that is between me, him, and if I so chose the courts. I just wanted one question answered that is all. Sorry I asked.

No, when you start a thread like this, we need to know if you are telling the truth or full of shit. Unfortunately, there is NO WAY to verify anything that you say without details.

If you refuse to post them, we'll assume that you are making something up just to slander someone. Yes, it has happened before.

Photographer

Image K

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Aisha Rose wrote:

How would you feel if he started a thread about how he could warn us about a model...and gave a choppy, erroneously-detailed story that made little sense?

Photographer

SLE Photography

Orlando, Florida, US

DigitAl Photographix wrote:
I don't know the laws in your country but, regardless of the nation, the photographer OWES a DUTY OF CARE (as does any citizen) to you . . . and especially so as he has employed you (even in "time for" situations)

The health and safety of everyone at the shoot comes before the actual act of photographing. It is paramount. I am sure he would not want YOU to keep posing if he had collapsed with a stroke or heart attack.

See a lawyer . . . preferably one experienced in Workcare issues.

Good luck,
Al
in Melbourne, Victoria, Australia

Uh... no.  Not in the US on any kind of freelance gig, and especially not on a trade deal.  There might be some civil liability for other reasons, but not under any sort of labor law.

Mar 07 10 08:45 pm Link

Photographer

5th Element Photography

Manteca, California, US

Im curious as to what kind of shoot it was?? Was the OP nakey in the snow? Did she just not eat, needed a break and the Photographer insisted on shooting? Was she tied upside down and stuff????

Mar 07 10 08:47 pm Link

Model

Aisha Rose

Fine I will let everyone know the details AFTER I talk to my lawyer. Not before. I realize you cannot know if I am telling the truth by just a post, but even if I gave details they could be made up. I don't care if you believe me... I just wanted to know. Now I have my answer. Thanks.

Mar 07 10 08:47 pm Link

Photographer

SLE Photography

Orlando, Florida, US

Aisha Rose wrote:

BULLSHIT it's between you & him!  You're looking for an excuse to ruin someone's reputation publicly here on the forums by "warning" people about him based ONLY on some vague & frankly, at this point, nonsensical accusations.  Threads like this DAMAGE the credibility of people who DO have real, serious issues because they make people skeptical about them.  People are usually "sorry" they asked when they find out everyone doesn't rush to give them sympathy.

Sorry, we've seen too many "hard luck" stories that turn out to be BS or someone looking to evade responsibility for their OWN poor choices.

Mar 07 10 08:48 pm Link

Photographer

Image K

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Aisha Rose wrote:
Fine I will let everyone know the details AFTER I talk to my lawyer. Not before. I realize you cannot know if I am telling the truth by just a post, but even if I gave details they could be made up. I don't care if you believe me... I just wanted to know. Now I have my answer. Thanks.

So, let me get this straight...

You wanted to warn models about a photographer before it's been established that he did anything wrong?

Wow...

Mar 07 10 08:49 pm Link

Model

Ashley Graham

Saint Petersburg, Florida, US

Theres not much we can tell you without details. You can CAM and put do not receommend

Mar 07 10 08:49 pm Link

Photographer

M Pandolfo Photography

Tampa, Florida, US

Aisha Rose wrote:

And the entire MM community that you injected into the situation by posting the thread. I seem to recall you were the one that gave just enough details of the sordid affair to make everyone request additional facts. Why? Because facts are what decisions are based upon and we didn't have enough of them.

If this really is something you feel warrants contacting authorities you don't start a public forum thread about it.

Of course people want to know more...to form a true opinion and respond. Now you're getting answers you don't like so you're saying "that's between me and him and the authorities..."

No, you can't have your cake and eat it too. Lock this one and then start a new thread when you've got him locked up for insensitivity.

Mar 07 10 08:50 pm Link

Model

Jalanis

NORTH HOLLYWOOD, California, US

SLE Photography wrote:

+1

Photographer

Keys88 Photo

New York, New York, US

Aisha Rose wrote:

Ok, your question has been answered. The answer is NO.

The only thing you can do is list him in your credits as "not recommended."  If you post any details about the "incident" you will get in trouble.

Several people have already given you this answer. Several people have also told you that MANY photographers are going to be dissuaded from working with you if you choose to use your profile to take pot-shots at a photographer.

Photographer

SLE Photography

Orlando, Florida, US

Image K wrote:

How would you feel if he started a thread about how he could warn us about a model...and gave a choppy, erroneously-detailed story that made little sense?

+1

Model

Aisha Rose

If i wanted to damage his reputation I would have told everyone who he is... I didn't, I honestly just wanted my freaking question answered. Ok obviously a mistake by the number of pissed off people.

Mar 07 10 08:51 pm Link

Photographer

Good Egg Productions

Orlando, Florida, US

Aisha Rose wrote:

Shouldn't the lawyer talk have happened BEFORE you went anonymously on some website and asked a bunch of photographers and models what you should do?  Good lord, girl.  You're getting attacked her but that's because you brought it on.  If I'm at a grocery store, and someone causes me to go to the hospital... I'm not going to go onto a vegetable website and ask the forum people what I can do to warn others of this grocer.

I suspect we'll never hear from you again.

Photographer

Good Egg Productions

Orlando, Florida, US

Aisha Rose wrote:
If i wanted to damage his reputation I would have told everyone who he is... I didn't, I honestly just wanted my freaking question answered. Ok obviously a mistake by the number of pissed off people.

And if you would have done that, this thread would have been locked and hidden.

Photographer

Image K

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Aisha Rose wrote:

It's been answered multiple times.

The only reputation that has been damaged by this thread is...

Mar 07 10 08:53 pm Link