Forums > Model Colloquy > Thoughts for newer models seeking to go full-time:

Model

Nicolette

Houston, Texas, US

Dido_Wend wrote:
Adding:
- Keep in mind English is not everybody's first language, and sometimes it may be difficult to communicate. You should be ready to manage it with a smile.
- Be prepared for receiving all kind of weird comments when people know what you do/see your pics (Mine's last one was: "You have implants in your ass, don't you?")

I can not tell you how often I get comments and messages asking if I have breast implants.
Annoying, yes. But, just like anything else, take it with a smile and move on.

Never linger over something that upsets you. You never know when that person is gonna sign your paycheck.

Jul 24 10 07:53 pm Link

Model

RoseBee

Bridgend, Wales, United Kingdom

Will keep this in mind. Thanks

Aug 06 10 05:05 am Link

Photographer

Jerry Nemeth

Dearborn, Michigan, US

All Yours Photography wrote:

If it isn't in the model release that all credits be given in your stage name, ask for it (in advance of the shoot).  Many photographers that won't change anything else will agree to this.  If they don't, do your REALLY need their photos?

Most models that I have worked with use their stage name all the time.  They only use their real name when they sign the release.

Aug 06 10 05:16 am Link

Photographer

Jerry Nemeth

Dearborn, Michigan, US

theda wrote:
I didn't lose any old friends over modeling, but I did find I had to miss a lot of social events because of shoots, many of which fell through anyway.

I also spent almost no time at all on the road. I decided I'd rather make less than knock myself out roaming the world looking for work.  This only worked because I live in NYC. 

Pretty much everything that I would had added has already been said, but I'll reiterate a few points.

Expect cancellations and lots of non-committal behavior. It may or may not have anything to do with you, and you won't often know which is the case.

Expect to spend at least two to three hours on unbillable work (seeking out and answering castings, go-sees, negotiating, bookkeeping, website/profile management, etc) for every hour you bill.

Don't put all your eggs in one basket. Unless you're a fashion model with an exclusive contract, you'll need to scour multiple sources for jobs. And you'll need to be on the look out for the next job pretty much all the time.

I don't commit unless I am absolutely sure I can do the shoot. I don't want to flake on the model!

I just had a shoot last week in NYC.  There were a lot of PMs and a cellphone call to set that up.

Aug 06 10 05:23 am Link

Model

Leila Ghauri

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Thanks for the advice!
smile It's quite helpful, and probably needs to be pinned onto the forum.

Aug 06 10 06:04 am Link

Model

LoveKimmy

London, England, United Kingdom

Im so glad I found this post! As a model that is just starting out, it really helped me to consider things that I would never have thought of!

Great Job!

Aug 19 10 03:07 am Link

Model

Isobel Wren

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, US

This is SUCH a great thread!  Thank you Shiva for starting it.  This should be required reading for all the eager, frightened girls who start out internet modeling careers.  I was totally one of them and I would have loved this.

I agree with basically everything that anyone has said here!  Definitely second the limits growing, the travel being tough and the "these photos are out there forever".  You may not want to consider a career in politics, even if you used a stage name (which you should) it's unlikely that someone will recognize you unless you're ULTRA famous, but it can happen and it will if someone wants to embarrass you enough.

I've been doing this for 6 or so years and I've had 2 ppl recognize me in person.  Fairly frequently I get ppl finding my "real person" profiles (once or twice a month) and going, "Gee you look familiar.  Do I know you from somewhere?"  I don't know if that's a modeling thing or a come-on thing but I just say "I have one of those faces" and leave it alone.

Oh, and the fans.  You should hope you get fans, but get a PO Box, get a stage name, protect your WhoIs on your website, hide your luggage tags at conventions, guard your name and address from fans as though it were gold.  It IS gold.  Fans are great, they are cool ppl and when YOU want them to come to you, they're really awesome.  When you want to just be you, the you in real life and they intrude upon that...well...that can be....problematic.  Fans don't like YOU, they like who they think your stage name, your persona that you've cultivated (based on other advice in this thread) is.  They like the idea of you that they have in their minds.  That person is not you and when a fan finds this out all kinds of bad things can happen ranging from the simply awkward and uncomfortable to the psychologically scarring.

You can be a model.  You will be a model if you want to be and you're pretty and smart and determined.  It's so much fun and so rewarding and I can only think of one other thing I might rather be doing in the world (seriously, only one!).  Take the advice in this thread to heart and know that we're all saying, "here are the risks and we're telling you to protect you from them"

Aug 19 10 08:54 am Link

Model

Rose Froze

Seattle, Washington, US

This thread is most insightful and informative. Many thanks to contributors !!

Aug 19 10 05:38 pm Link

Model

B R E N N A N

Charlotte, North Carolina, US

Why why why am I just finding this fantastic thread?! yikes

Bump for a great thread

Sep 02 10 07:42 pm Link

Model

ashara

Brewster, New York, US

This is a REALLY GREAT thread!!
( and I find A LOT of threads to be fluff)

Sep 02 10 08:30 pm Link

Model

M E L U X I N E

Sydney, New South Wales, Australia

Best thread ever! I can really relate to the things you posted and couldn't have put it better myself! Thank you.

Hard to add anything but here goes....

Know your niche and what you are capable of. If you want less rejection, be honest with yourself when approaching photographers/designers/castings. If they're asking for someone who's 5'11'' and you're the world's tallest midget, then move along to one you KNOW you are capable of doing. If someone is after an alternative look complete with tats and you're a squeaky clean commercial model, then don't just blindly jump in there.

These examples sound obvious, but it's amazing how many models aim for things that are just not right for them. It's better to channel the look you already have, and find the people that match accordingly.

I'm not being negative, just realistic. You can't avoid rejection altogether, but you can reduce it by only approaching those projects you are suitable for. It's not about resigning to work merely within your comfort zone either. Aim high, but keep that scope within the range of your potential. Of course, there's no harm in trying because sometimes that's the only way you learn what your capabilities are. Just ask yourself whether you can honestly see yourself doing that type of work before hitting the send button.

Sep 06 10 11:09 am Link

Model

Nymphette Noire

Sonoma, California, US

So true!

Sep 26 10 09:06 pm Link

Model

Alisyn Carliene

San Bernardino, California, US

Thanks for this. Everything you said is dead on! especially the travelling thing... My grandpa just got a new car in June. It's up to 29,000 miles tongue cause he's been taking me around.

Sep 26 10 09:11 pm Link

Photographer

Jerry Nemeth

Dearborn, Michigan, US

Ashley Graham wrote:
Great post.

Also, when you start travelling be sure you know how you can get home if all your paid works fails

This is a very good point!

Sep 27 10 04:12 am Link

Photographer

Jerry Nemeth

Dearborn, Michigan, US

Alisyn Carliene wrote:
Thanks for this. Everything you said is dead on! especially the travelling thing... My grandpa just got a new car in June. It's up to 29,000 miles tongue cause he's been taking me around.

You have been very busy!
You're going to wear out your grandpa's car.   smile

Sep 27 10 04:22 am Link

Model

Chloe Model

Staines, England, United Kingdom

Wooooo, I recognise all of your points Shiva, brilliant post!

Sep 27 10 04:31 am Link

Model

Tina Rex

Lakeland, Florida, US

Incredibly infomative! Thank you! smile

Sep 27 10 05:56 am Link

Photographer

EleGlance Photography

Woodside, South Australia, Australia

Can I just say that as a brand new photographer to MM this thread has been invaluable in giving me insight to the sorts of things I should be considering when looking for and getting models to collaborate with in my early development phase. Thank you for such a valuable resource Shiva.

Sep 28 10 01:56 am Link

Model

Koryn

Boston, Massachusetts, US

I am amazed that people are continuing to read and contribute to this thread.

Awesome!

Sep 28 10 11:20 am Link

Model

Engel Schrei

Indianapolis, Indiana, US

ShivaKitty wrote:
I am amazed that people are continuing to read and contribute to this thread.

Awesome!

http://travelingmodels.blogspot.com/

Would you like to be added to the contributing list? You can post lots of this type of stuff there, and I'm hoping to add a few more models to it. Some of the girls have been busy lately and are unable to contribute as much as one would like.

*Edit.. if you or any one else is interested in contributing, I need an email address and a link to a personal blog/site. This offer is available to any model who travels frequently & is interested in participating in a group blog.

Sep 28 10 11:36 am Link

Model

Koryn

Engel Schrei wrote:

http://travelingmodels.blogspot.com/

Would you like to be added to the contributing list? You can post lots of this type of stuff there, and I'm hoping to add a few more models to it. Some of the girls have been busy lately and are unable to contribute as much as one would like.

*Edit.. if you or any one else is interested in contributing, I need an email address and a link to a personal blog/site.

I tried working on a blog last year, and found it difficult to keep up with. If you wanted to re-post this information on your blog with my byline, feel free to do so, though I am not interested in being a regular contributor at this time. There just isn't enough time to spend on it, unfortunately.

Sep 28 10 11:42 am Link

Model

Engel Schrei

ShivaKitty wrote:

I tried working on a blog last year, and found it difficult to keep up with. If you wanted to re-post this information on your blog with my byline, feel free to do so, though I am not interested in being a regular contributor at this time. There just isn't enough time to spend on it, unfortunately.

Most of the girls just post sporadically. That's why I want a larger number of people contributing.. because you don't have to post as much.

Sep 28 10 11:44 am Link

Model

Koryn

Engel Schrei wrote:
Most of the girls just post sporadically. That's why I want a larger number of people contributing.. because you don't have to post as much.

I will be starting to do some traveling again at the end of October, which is likely to provide me with new material to talk about. If I find that it encourages me to start writing again, I will let you know. wink

Sep 28 10 11:47 am Link

Photographer

Le Beck Photography

Los Angeles, California, US

Superb post!

What I would expect from someone as intelligent and together as you are.

The other side of the coin is that we photographers are blessed to know and make photographs with remarkable women like you because you travel!

Sep 28 10 11:49 am Link

Model

Engel Schrei

ShivaKitty wrote:

I will be starting to do some traveling again at the end of October, which is likely to provide me with new material to talk about. If I find that it encourages me to start writing again, I will let you know. wink

smile

Til then, let me know whenever you make threads/post like these big_smile I added your post to the blog.

Sep 28 10 11:50 am Link

Model

rhus

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, US

Isobel Wren wrote:
hide your luggage tags at conventions

Whoa, really good point!  I would never even have THOUGHT of that.  Thank you!

Sep 28 10 11:51 am Link

Photographer

AJ_In_Atlanta

Atlanta, Georgia, US

I love this thread and wish more new models would read it.  Several points are covered and I want to add from a photographers view:

1. Although they are seldom actual Polaroids any more, please consider providing potential clients with same basic front/profile un edited images.

2. Research your rates carefully, and not just by reading this site.  You will no doubt start low.  Start to raise rates when you are overbooked and until you are *almost* always fully booked.  You want to be busy but not turning down work.  Over time you should charge more as you get better.  An excessively low rate is as much a red flag as an overinflated one.

Sep 28 10 11:53 am Link

Model

Koryn

Engel Schrei wrote:

smile

Til then, let me know whenever you make threads/post like these big_smile I added your post to the blog.

Okie dokie. Thanks. Your avatar is beautimus, btw.

Sep 28 10 11:56 am Link

Model

Engel Schrei

ShivaKitty wrote:

Okie dokie. Thanks. Your avatar is beautimus, btw.

Thank you lady smile I heart the photo of yours I pulled for the post in the blog. Is awesomeness.

When you gonna be where I am so we can hang out?

Sep 28 10 11:57 am Link

Model

Koryn

Engel Schrei wrote:
Thank you lady smile I heart the photo of yours I pulled for the post in the blog. Is awesomeness.

When you gonna be where I am so we can hang out?

No idea. I will be in Utah, then on the west coast at the end of the year. I've still never worked in the mid-West really.

Even then, I will still be a LONG way from Indianapolis.

Sep 28 10 12:06 pm Link

Model

KariMarie

Amundsen-Scott - permanent station of the US, Unclaimed Sector, Antarctica

ShivaKitty wrote:
No idea. I will be in Utah, then on the west coast at the end of the year. I've still never worked in the mid-West really.

If you find yourself in northern Colorado, you've got crash space at my place.

Sep 28 10 12:10 pm Link

Model

Andy Virus

Richmond, Virginia, US

Even though I am a male model, this was very helpful.  Thank you very much ^_^

Sep 28 10 12:16 pm Link

Model

Paper Doll Nudes

Chicago, Illinois, US

Fabulous and honest post!!

Sep 28 10 12:16 pm Link

Model

Koryn

KariMarie wrote:

If you find yourself in northern Colorado, you've got crash space at my place.

Because of financial obligations on the east coast, I have to do really specific trips, for set amounts of time. I've never had the luxury to just go as I please like some people do. I can't just randomly decide to to extend a trip for another week, unless I already had that planned months in advance. At the same time, I consider it a great experience to do any traveling at all for modeling, and am so thankful I can do those out-of-region trips, even if they are somewhat limited time-wise, and do not generally allow for unexpected itinerary changes. When I started doing figure modeling in 2005, it was hard to imagine that I would still be doing it five years later, let alone that I would have people across the country want to work with me.I consider just getting to do out-of-region travel, to be a huge accomplishment.

Sep 28 10 12:18 pm Link

Model

Engel Schrei

ShivaKitty wrote:

I might be out on the west coast at the end of October.

Sep 28 10 12:25 pm Link

Photographer

Tito Goya

Pompano Beach, Florida, US

I see where you are going with this but it's bullshit. No one will pay you especialy any photograhers. If they do they are hobbyists not photographers. I don't know about how it works in Mass. But in Miami models pay photographers or they trade so they can get signed. If it anything less you might as well be a hooker. Selling you body to the highest amatuer bidder.

Sep 28 10 12:32 pm Link

Model

Koryn

Tito Goya wrote:
I see where you are going with this but it's bullshit. No one will pay you especialy any photograhers. If they do they are hobbyists not photographers. I don't know about how it works in Mass. But in Miami models pay photographers or they trade so they can get signed. If it anything less you might as well be a hooker. Selling you body to the highest amatuer bidder.

Awesome fourth post.

Great way to endear yourself to working models on this site. 

hmm

Sep 28 10 01:42 pm Link

Model

Engel Schrei

ShivaKitty wrote:

Awesome fourth post.

Great way to endear yourself to working models on this site. 

hmm

Especially considering the "trades" that a lot of the girls in Miami are doing lol

Sep 28 10 01:44 pm Link

Model

Koryn

Engel Schrei wrote:

Especially considering the "trades" that a lot of the girls in Miami are doing lol

hmm

It  was nice finally having a positive, constructive thread in the model forum, that people felt provided answers to specific questions ...

Sep 28 10 01:47 pm Link

Model

Model MoRina

MacMurdo - permanent station of the US, Sector claimed by New Zealand, Antarctica

Tito Goya wrote:

Models in my line of work don't get signed - there are no agencies for art nude models.  I make my living working with a lot of extremely talented photographers, some who do so as a hobby and some not. 

And, just so you know....a hooker is the lady I saw two nights ago giving a guy a blowjob in the bushes at the back of a parking lot.  She and I have nothing in common.

Sep 28 10 01:49 pm Link