Forums > General Industry > America's Next Top Model for real or a hoax?

Model

angelavasquez

Murrieta, California, US

at first I liked it, but now its just been getting old. I know that it takes a while to become a SUPERmodel, so to speak but all the other contestants that have won like yoanna or adrienne curry or whatever her name is, they havent become , well America's next top model. what do u all think?

Jul 27 05 09:57 pm Link

Photographer

bencook2

Tucson, Arizona, US

If it is on TV for ratings...it is a hoax without exception.  You can't script life.  NOR, can life be accuratly portrayed in an  hour once a week or once a night.

Plus, since they 86'ed the nude requirement why watch? [jk]

Jul 27 05 10:01 pm Link

Photographer

New York, New York, US

I said it before,  it should be named America's next sitcom star for most of the models on the show will never work much in the industry.   They will work on name which is a big part of the deal but they will ,,,,,,,,

The fastest runner does not always win the race.

Jul 27 05 10:29 pm Link

Photographer

Monsante Bey

Columbus, Georgia, US

I've seen some of the top 3 from each season get work and go further than millions of net models. You be the judge.

Jul 27 05 10:51 pm Link

Photographer

Delete This

Indianapolis, Indiana, US

The "show" is a ratings vehicle.  Nothing more.  It's all scripted and the "winners" are selected before the "season" starts.  The producers of these scams count on literally thousands of average wanna-be models lining up to participate (and drive the ratings through the roof, which is where the money is made.) 

Jul 27 05 10:57 pm Link

Photographer

Patrick Walberg

San Juan Bautista, California, US

Posted by Monsante Bey: 
I've seen some of the top 3 from each season get work and go further than millions of net models. You be the judge.

Why are you so down on Internet models?  You and me both are Internet photographers. 

That said ...

I have a young lady who wants to try out for the show. In searching for how to go about trying out, I have googled Tyra Banks and the name of the show along with the TV network ... all lead to dead ends for me!  What makes it worse is that my firewall works overtime trying to fight off all the attempted down loads to my computer ... especially on Tyra Banks so called official site!

I told my friend to forget the stupid show, let's pack up and camp out at the offices of Elite and Fords!

Jul 28 05 12:32 am Link

Photographer

Star

Los Angeles, California, US

Posted by marksora: 
I said it before,  it should be named America's next sitcom star for most of the models on the show will never work much in the industry.   They will work on name which is a big part of the deal but they will ,,,,,,,,

The fastest runner does not always win the race.

Bring back Elise!
Bring back Elise!
We want Elise!
ok, I will settle for the little blonde one with glasses who cheated on her boyfriend...

Jul 28 05 12:52 am Link

Photographer

Brian Diaz

Danbury, Connecticut, US

I think it's a long, uphill journey, even for those catapulted along.  Their show experiences may get them through doors, but they still have to do the work.

Jul 28 05 01:12 am Link

Photographer

Michael Bell

Anaheim, California, US

Its scripted and stupid. However I thought the Swimsuit Model show was great, the winner was hot and she really appeared in the magazine. I wouldn't mind seeing another season of that.

Jul 28 05 01:48 am Link

Photographer

latex-fashions

Tampa, Florida, US

You people can't be talking about shut up and model

Jul 28 05 01:50 am Link

Photographer

XtremeArtists

No one's talking about shut up and model. Looks like they got the name right.

Jul 28 05 06:03 am Link

Makeup Artist

Tracey Masterson

Shelton, Connecticut, US

Star, here is where you can get your Elyse fix:
http://www.livejournal.com/users/elysesewell/

I only saw the 1st 2 seasons.  Those types of shows get so boring after the 1st season.  I love the coaches and thought Janice was hysterical. 

Jul 28 05 06:44 am Link

Photographer

studio36uk

Tavai, Sigave, Wallis and Futuna

Wooopie!

We had one on Brit TV as well. An absolutely wretch inducing 6 weeks of sobbing bitch-fest, little more than Big Brother with an all female cast.

The highlights included cat fights galore; crying; bitching to and about each other; more crying; having second thoughts about showing their precious tits; more crying; some of the girls getting their hair cut; more crying; the less than size 8 girl, who wouldn't cast a shadow if she stood sideways, being told by a Paris agency that she was too "fat" for Paris; more crying; the girl who was 10 min late for a casting being told to get lost because she was late; more crying; putting the size 8 girl in size 6 clothes; more crying; and on it went agonising week after agonising week.

Even after all that what happened to the winner? Who the hell knows she was never heard from again outside the insular world of "fashion". Total waste of production money and air time.

The real highlight of the show, however, and perhaps the most honest part, was former model Rachael Hunter, who was one of the show's judges, tell the lowest ranking girl each week... "You don't have what it takes... You're OUT" Hell they could have done that at the start for all but one of the girls, just as they would have done at any casting, and saved us all from the six weels of agony.

S36

Jul 28 05 07:16 am Link

Photographer

Julia Gerace

Monroe, Connecticut, US

yeah - I know it's not 'real' and all that..but I still think it's fun..and I love to watch the shoot segments...I'd love to try just about every one of those ideas....

Julia

Jul 28 05 07:24 am Link

Photographer

StMarc

Chicago, Illinois, US

Posted by Patrick Walberg: 

Posted by Monsante Bey: 

Why are you so down on Internet models?  You and me both are Internet photographers. 

That said ...

I have a young lady who wants to try out for the show. In searching for how to go about trying out, I have googled Tyra Banks and the name of the show along with the TV network ... all lead to dead ends for me!  What makes it worse is that my firewall works overtime trying to fight off all the attempted down loads to my computer ... especially on Tyra Banks so called official site! 

While I haven't visited her site and have no plans to do so, the application form for the show is quite easy to locate on the show's website. (It's HUGE. The form, that is.)

Here's how I did it.

1) Go to www.upn.com (the show's network.)

2) Click on "ANTM Central," which is prominently featured on the page.

3) Click on "Apply Now," which is prominently featured on the page.

4) Follow instructions. The page has the application form, a list of casting calls, and a video of a sample audition.

I think you're making this harder than it needs to be.

M

Jul 28 05 09:48 am Link

Model

theda

New York, New York, US

I only watched like one show form the first season. I liked Elise and from what I understand, her modeling career did a lot better than Adrienne's.

Jul 28 05 10:54 am Link

Makeup Artist

Tracey Masterson

Shelton, Connecticut, US

Excuse me Theda, but Adrienne did the Lingerie SuperBowl.  lol.

Jul 28 05 10:57 am Link

Wardrobe Stylist

stylist man

New York, New York, US

Posted by Star: 

ok, I will settle for the little blonde one with glasses who cheated on her boyfriend...

I think she went back to work at Walmart.  Sad,  she had some style in a funky way.

Jul 28 05 11:01 am Link

Photographer

StMarc

Chicago, Illinois, US

I just watched the first season on DVD (gotta love Netflix.)

While many people might have thought it was "real" that Adrienne threw up the horns and did the Gene Simmons tongue thing when she won, it told me she'd learned exactly nothing about appropriate behavior over the course of the entire process. You can take the trash out of the trailer, but you can't take the trailer out of the trash.

I followed that link to Elyse's LiveJournal. Assuming she's not making the whole thing up while lying in some opium den, it looks like she's doing about as well as anybody who's been on that show.

M

Jul 28 05 11:30 am Link

Photographer

Anthony Citrano

Venice, California, US

Posted by IndianaGlamour: 
The "show" is a ratings vehicle.  Nothing more.  It's all scripted and the "winners" are selected before the "season" starts.  The producers of these scams count on literally thousands of average wanna-be models lining up to participate (and drive the ratings through the roof, which is where the money is made.)   

I agree that it's a ratings vehicle, but you're incorrect about the other points.

By that I mean you are completely incorrect about it being scripted.  Producers do interact with them and coach them, but there are no scripts. 

Second, you are also wrong about the winner being selected in advance.  Judges and producers might have their favorites, but it is basically approached the way you see it.

Having said all that, I agree with what is being said in the thread - that UPN and Bankable Productions have no ability to just declare someone the industry's latest top model.  Sure, you can win ANTM and ride the associated wave of publicity, but then the realities of the industry and a modeling career set in.  You still need to compete with all the rest of them.

Jul 28 05 11:40 am Link

Photographer

Anthony Citrano

Venice, California, US

Posted by StMarc: 
I just watched the first season on DVD (gotta love Netflix.)

While many people might have thought it was "real" that Adrienne threw up the horns and did the Gene Simmons tongue thing when she won, it told me she'd learned exactly nothing about appropriate behavior over the course of the entire process. You can take the trash out of the trailer, but you can't take the trailer out of the trash.

Hear, hear.  smile

Jul 28 05 11:40 am Link

Photographer

Mgaphoto

San Diego, California, US

I would say that 95% of these shows are scripted. Bam, ANTM, The Real OC, etc... these are bullshit shows but people are dumb enough to think they are legit so they watch. I can understand watching the funny shows because it is more about comedy but I laugh that people take these others serious.

Furthermore, Tyra is an idiot! Her forehead is almost as big as her tits now smile

Jul 28 05 12:38 pm Link

Photographer

udor

New York, New York, US

When does an internet photographer becomes such an animal?

Just wondering, I started to photograph before the internet (okay... BBS' were up and coming), I do have a website, and I participate in online forums.

I don't search the internet for my own projects, but I send models I worked with to MM for example.

So, what exactly is an internet photographer... I know it's off topic, but you've just raised an interesting question in my molasses like mind... (where's my coffee?)

Jul 28 05 12:47 pm Link

Photographer

Anthony Citrano

Venice, California, US

Posted by studio36uk: 
Wooopie!

We had one on Brit TV as well. An absolutely wretch inducing 6 weeks of sobbing bitch-fest, little more than Big Brother with an all female cast.

The highlights included cat fights galore; crying; bitching to and about each other; more crying; having second thoughts about showing their precious tits; more crying; some of the girls getting their hair cut; more crying; the less than size 8 girl, who wouldn't cast a shadow if she stood sideways, being told by a Paris agency that she was too "fat" for Paris; more crying; the girl who was 10 min late for a casting being told to get lost because she was late; more crying; putting the size 8 girl in size 6 clothes; more crying; and on it went agonising week after agonising week.

Sounds like more fun than ANTM.  wink

Jul 28 05 01:09 pm Link

Photographer

Anthony Citrano

Venice, California, US

Posted by ( ANT ) Mgaphoto: 
I would say that 95% of these shows are scripted. Bam, ANTM, The Real OC, etc... these are bullshit shows but people are dumb enough to think they are legit so they watch.

Or people are dumb enough to think they are scripted, so they don't watch.  wink

Jul 28 05 01:10 pm Link

Photographer

Anthony Citrano

Venice, California, US

bam

Jul 28 05 01:14 pm Link

Photographer

Anthony Citrano

Venice, California, US

Posted by Udo R Photography: 

Just wondering, I started to photograph before the internet (okay... BBS' were up and coming), I do have a website, and I participate in online forums.

Before the Internet?  The BBS phenomenon came along much later than the Internet did.  And a compliment: you definitely don't look old enough to have been shooting before the Internet.  Perhaps you meant before the World Wide Web?

I don't search the internet for my own projects, but I send models I worked with to MM for example.

So, what exactly is an internet photographer... I know it's off topic, but you've just raised an interesting question in my molasses like mind... (where's my coffee?)

Yeah, I don't get this either. It's like describing a photographer who uses the phone a lot as a "telephone photographer."  Every photographer I know - regardless of skill or success - uses the Internet in some way for their work.

Jul 28 05 01:18 pm Link

Photographer

udor

New York, New York, US

Posted by Anthony Citrano: 

Before the Internet?  The BBS phenomenon came along much later than the Internet did.  And a compliment: you definitely don't look old enough to have been shooting before the Internet.  Perhaps you meant before the World Wide Web?

LOL... thanks... I am actually turning the big 4-0 in a few weeks.

Yeah,... you are right... before the www. But I remember online bulletin boards that started in the late 80's, but I started to photograph in somewhere 1976 or 1977... it's a little bit blurry...

I only remember clearly that I went to Vancouver in 1983(?) to cover the World Fair for a German Stock Agency (Ute Emmrich Foto Agentur, but there is no reference anymore, I guess they are not in business anymore).

Jul 28 05 01:27 pm Link

Photographer

justinwasik

New York, New York, US

Posted by Julia Gerace: 
yeah - I know it's not 'real' and all that..but I still think it's fun..and I love to watch the shoot segments...I'd love to try just about every one of those ideas....

Julia

Being a newer fashion photographer I too was looking at the way the shoots were setup.  I'd love to be able to try some of those ideas... tons of cool ideas.

Justin

Jul 28 05 02:02 pm Link

Photographer

Star

Los Angeles, California, US

about the scripting, right now there is a thing going through the writer's guild to give reality show writers credit on the shows.
Writers do not script the show, but they edit it to make the show say what they want it to. They are heavily involved.

Jul 28 05 02:32 pm Link

Photographer

Patrick Walberg

Posted by StMarc: 

Posted by Monsante Bey: 

That said ...

While I haven't visited her site and have no plans to do so, the application form for the show is quite easy to locate on the show's website. (It's HUGE. The form, that is.)

Here's how I did it.

1) Go to www.upn.com (the show's network.)

2) Click on "ANTM Central," which is prominently featured on the page.

3) Click on "Apply Now," which is prominently featured on the page.

4) Follow instructions. The page has the application form, a list of casting calls, and a video of a sample audition.

I think you're making this harder than it needs to be.

M

Thank you!

I guess I didn't try hard enough, but hearing the cookies try to up load and my firewall kicking into overtime freaked me out!  I hate going on sites that have so much crappy commercial ads, plus try to weigh your computer down with who knows what!

The application is long.  I bet my friend decides to forget it!  LOL

Jul 28 05 02:41 pm Link

Photographer

Patrick Walberg

Posted by IndianaGlamour: 

I agree that it's a ratings vehicle, but you're incorrect about the other points.

By that I mean you are completely incorrect about it being scripted.  Producers do interact with them and coach them, but there are no scripts. 

Second, you are also wrong about the winner being selected in advance.  Judges and producers might have their favorites, but it is basically approached the way you see it.

Having said all that, I agree with what is being said in the thread - that UPN and Bankable Productions have no ability to just declare someone the industry's latest top model.  Sure, you can win ANTM and ride the associated wave of publicity, but then the realities of the industry and a modeling career set in.  You still need to compete with all the rest of them.

I know someone local who was on a reality show.  They ARE scripted!  By that, I don't mean they tell the actors "oppps!" ... I mean the contestants exactly what to say ... but they do direct them so much that they may as well have lines.  That is where the Director of the show stops.  The only difference is the actors, (sorry!)  contestants are able to speak their own lines. 

I am so sick and disgusted with reality shows and television in general that I watch maybe 5 to 10 hours a week ... mostly news or Larry King.  Reality shows are cheap to produce, that's why network producers and sponsors LOVE 'em! But the sooner people get bored of this phenomena the better. It seems like every time I go sit in front of a TV for a few minutes, I need to rush back to my computer ... I am so disappointed with TV nowadays!

Jul 28 05 02:56 pm Link

Photographer

Patrick Walberg

Udo, I was pointing out that calling someone an "Internet model" makes about as much sense as calling you and me "Internet photographers!"

Why?

Because you and I both have been photographers before we posted out pictures on the Internet, and the models are modeling before they post their pictures too. In other words, all popular models that you can name have photos on the Internet.  All of them! 

All major talent agents have websites. I provide the website links for Elite and Fords to give to any model who wants to go the traditional route.

The Internet is a tool.  Photographers and models use it to advance their career.

Jul 28 05 03:04 pm Link

Photographer

Fred Brown Photo

Chicago, Illinois, US

I think that people confuse the title of the show to mean that the winner is now a super model and that's not the case nor did they promote the show to mean that. Everybody in the industy knows that to become a top model, it is based on client demand in both print and runway.

As far as the show being scripted, it is not. I know because I happen to know a couple of girls from the show. Neither won but both are now signed with top agencies and working and told me things that went on. The winners are also with top agencies and now they compet with the rest of the girls in the industry. Only time will determine how far they will go.

Winning the show is almost like winning Miss America which is why they say the winner was crowned Amercia's Next Top Model.

It's really just a play on words. Ratings - of course, you don't create a TV series for the heck of it. You create a show that you know will grab ratings so that you can get sponsors to pay you so you can get huge profits. Like it or not, the show is successful and Tyra has 4 more shows coming our way. One is coming this fall.

Jul 28 05 03:44 pm Link

Photographer

Patrick Walberg

Posted by Fred Brown: 
As far as the show being scripted, it is not. I know because I happen to know a couple of girls from the show.

Not scripted as in having "dialogue" but ALL shows are scripted unless it is a documentary.

People get that confused. Scripts do not need to have dialogue!  But most of the "scenes" are completely set up!  No network producer will ever shoot a reality show without a script of some kind!  The writers are getting wise to this. 

You know what? Even many documentaries have a script!

Jul 28 05 03:55 pm Link

Photographer

Anthony Citrano

Venice, California, US

I know someone local who was on a reality show.  They ARE scripted!  By that, I don't mean they tell the actors "oppps!" ... I mean the contestants exactly what to say ... but they do direct them so much that they may as well have lines.  That is where the Director of the show stops.  The only difference is the actors, (sorry!)  contestants are able to speak their own lines. 

Scripted means there is a script, Patrick.  In my original post I said they were directed but not scripted.  Above you essentially  say, "I know they don't have a script, but it is scripted."

The fact is: ANTM is not scripted.  But like any good television production, there is an element of visual and character direction.

Jul 28 05 03:58 pm Link

Photographer

Anthony Citrano

Venice, California, US

Posted by Fred Brown: 
As far as the show being scripted, it is not. I know because I happen to know a couple of girls from the show.

Not scripted as in having "dialogue" but ALL shows are scripted unless it is a documentary.

People get that confused. Scripts do not need to have dialogue!  But most of the "scenes" are completely set up!  No network producer will ever shoot a reality show without a script of some kind!  The writers are getting wise to this. 

Patrick, Fred is right.  I respectfully suggest you may be confused.  In television production parlance, something is scripted when there is a written script.  What you are describing above are direction and production, not scripting.

You know what? Even many documentaries have a script!

I'd expect all documentaries have a narration script, but my experience in that arena is precisely zero.

Jul 28 05 04:04 pm Link

Model

Joelle

Seattle, Washington, US

I had a friend try out and make it to the finals.  This is her story...
Basically here was my week:
Arrived at Beverl Hilton hotel --we weren't allowed to talk to each
other the whole week unless the cameras were on so they
wouldnt "miss anything." Tyra seemed very superficial as well as
miss jay and mr jay. there were 30 girls, we had a photo competition
and it got narrowed down to 17 girls...myself being one of the 17.
This was by Saturday. during the week we were locked in rooms,
basically hotel rooms, only allowed to talk when the cameras came
in, and when they did come in, the producer would instigate. "Who
would you like to punch in the room, who would you makeout with"
stupid shit like that. By the way...we are all running on 0 sleep,
because all week they are waking us up a 6 am, and we are going to
bed at 2am. Also, we aren't eating healthy, we had orduerves (sp? )
everyday like muffins and watermelon with water or coffee or old
room temp orange juice. Even the poor girls were angry, so i hope im
not comming off snobbish...because i dont expect much. We did things
like go out to get our nails done at the same place tyra did...and
they had about 4 psychologists and a doctor and some IQ tests. All
of which would try to find something wrong with you...and pressure
you to tell them your problems so they could tell you what was wrong
with you.
Facing the panel was nerveracking, and Tyra told me and another girl
(April) that we were "the strongest beauties there, but dull" DULL!?
DULL?, we were running on no sleep, no food, and most of the girls
had horrific stories like being raped and molested and shot at, that
we just couldnt write if we tried. We had good lives, and we weren't
drama queens.
We had a fashion show for the final 17, and then they woke us up at
3am to do the cut on the top of the roof at the beverly hilton. (by
the way, lots of celebs stay there...we saw ben affleck and jennifer
garner, and the guy from the green mile (big black dude) and nicolas
cage...)

At 4am, they told us who made it into the house....some of who were
only 5'3" and refused to put on a skirt. They were looking for drama
queens and they found them.

I'm not bitter about it at all, im actually very glad im not on the
show because of how superficial it was. the whole time my attitude
was "i really dont want to be on this show" but i made it there from
30,000 girls who tried out, some of who slept on the ground in NY,
so I thought I might as well try. But about 98% of it was
staged...they made us walk into rooms like 3 or 4 times so they
could get the perfect shots...most will end up on the cutting room
floor.

ANTM scripted...nah :-) (just for the record that's sarcasm)

I have to admit though I do like watching it.  I laugh alot watching it but, I have to admit sometimes the shoot ideas are good or original (and alot of times there not).

Jul 28 05 04:13 pm Link

Photographer

Glamour Boulevard

Sacramento, California, US

I take that show about as seriously as "Idol". They become "canned models" just like the Idol winners become "canned singers".
Canned meaning pre packaged, made to be what the Idol company and top model company wants them to be.
Just because a few select people sitting at a table like you does not mean you are going to be actually the top of anything. I mean, I totally disagree with who they chose as the winners on either show,lol.
I do not recall seeing the last top model winner in anything big. I could be wrong, since I do not really watch commercials or look through print ads.

Jul 28 05 04:21 pm Link

Photographer

Patrick Walberg

Scripted means there is a script, Patrick.  In my original post I said they were directed but not scripted.  Above you essentially  say, "I know they don't have a script, but it is scripted."

The fact is: ANTM is not scripted.  But like any good television production, there is an element of visual and character direction.

There is a script. It contains directions as to location, lighting, and directives for the participants.  There is no way you can make me believe that the director of a reality show is going to run without a script.  Even Awards shows have scripts!  They just don't tell the winners what to say!

Jul 28 05 04:30 pm Link