Forums > General Industry > Older models?

Photographer

RS Livingston

Grand Rapids, Michigan, US

It appears there has been a marked increase in older models coming onto the site. This is NOT a complaint. Many are quite outstanding and I wish I was in a position to shoot with some of them. Just wondering if they were modeling in past decades and have decided to jump back in. Is there something driving the move? Economy?

Dec 04 10 01:47 pm Link

Photographer

Virtual Studio

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

RS Livingston wrote:
It appears there has been a marked increase in older models coming onto the site. This is NOT a complaint. Many are quite outstanding and I wish I was in a position to shoot with some of them. Just wondering if they were modeling in past decades and have decided to jump back in. Is there something driving the move? Economy?

Supply and demand.

Dec 04 10 01:56 pm Link

Photographer

Starburst Photography

Oshawa, Ontario, Canada

RS Livingston wrote:

Someone threw up a BINGO sign lol

https://www.lostartofblogging.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/02/cows.jpg

Dec 04 10 02:33 pm Link

Photographer

Marvelous Michigan Legs

Farmington Hills, Michigan, US

I have shot several models in their thirties and forties.  Every one has been blessed not only with physical beauty, but also, was expressive and in her DNA understood that a successful photograph must communicate.  Many also work out and are very fit.  They look damn good, they know it and they want to show the world.  The facts that they are delightful to shoot and produce compelling images are simply bonuses.

Dec 04 10 03:00 pm Link

Model

Gitte

Newton, Massachusetts, US

Some, like my friend, modeled many years ago, and got back into the business,- and others, like me, got a late start in modeling and am here now. There has always been older models, of course, but maybe it's finally become more "acceptable"..? idk

Dec 04 10 04:54 pm Link

Photographer

Jerry Nemeth

Dearborn, Michigan, US

An older model that I have photographed, MO Rina.

https://modelmayhm-3.vo.llnwd.net/d1/photos/101028/19/4cca34ca9d825.jpg

Dec 04 10 04:56 pm Link

Model

Santa Claus

Seattle, Washington, US

We live in the age of digital photography.  Everybody is either a photographer or a model.  Or both:-)

Dec 04 10 05:10 pm Link

Model

miss pandora

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, US

So, are you trying to say that THIS explains why there are more older models, therefore suggesting that older models fit into that "not really a model" category? hmm.

As for me, I didn't start doing this until a year ago, when I was laid off from my marketing position. I would never have even considered doing it, had I not been encouraged by a photographer friend.  I was pleasantly surprised and still am that really good photographers would actually want to shoot with me, given my age and my shorty-ness lol

I've now found quite a bit of success in fetish work, which I really enjoy, and for which there seems to be an unending demand for older models. Many photographers tell me they enjoy working with older models because a) we tend to be the same age as a lot of photographers, so we have more in common and relate well on a personal level during a shoot; b) (and this is someone else's words, not mine) we tend to behave more professionally and less like divas; and c) let's face it, older women are really "hot" right now (partly because of the whole cougar thing, ugh, which I actually hate).

I think older women are popular now because many of us do take care of ourselves more than ever before, because we bring a lot of experience, culture and sophistication to a shoot, and because self-confidence tends to grow once you're in your 30s and 40s.  I could never have done this when I was in my 20s not only because I didn't have the curvy body then that I do now, but also because I was a neurotic mess. lol

Santa Claus wrote:
We live in the age of digital photography.  Everybody is either a photographer or a model.  Or both:-)

Dec 04 10 06:02 pm Link

Photographer

EB Photography

Santo António, Pagué, Sao Tome and Principe

Jerry Nemeth wrote:

mo is hot

Dec 04 10 06:03 pm Link

Photographer

EB Photography

Sandra W wrote:
So, are you trying to say that THIS explains why there are more older models, therefore suggesting that older models fit into that "not really a model" category? hmm.

As for me, I didn't start doing this until a year ago, when I was laid off from my marketing position. I would never have even considered doing it, had I not been encouraged by a photographer friend.  I was pleasantly surprised and still am that really good photographers would actually want to shoot with me, given my age and my shorty-ness lol

I've now found quite a bit of success in fetish work, which I really enjoy, and for which there seems to be an unending demand for older models. Many photographers tell me they enjoy working with older models because a) we tend to be the same age as a lot of photographers, so we have more in common and relate well on a personal level during a shoot; b) (and this is someone else's words, not mine) we tend to behave more professionally and less like divas; and c) let's face it, older women are really "hot" right now (partly because of the whole cougar thing, ugh, which I actually hate).

I think older women are popular now because many of us do take care of ourselves more than ever before, because we bring a lot of experience, culture and sophistication to a shoot, and because self-confidence tends to grow once you're in your 30s and 40s.  I could never have done this when I was in my 20s not only because I didn't have the curvy body then that I do now, but also because I was a neurotic mess. lol

+ a bazillion

Dec 04 10 06:05 pm Link

Photographer

Coarse Art

Lexington, Ohio, US

Dec 04 10 06:17 pm Link

Model

miss pandora

AND she's one of the most fun and sweetest models I've ever worked with.  Sorry, didn't mean to turn this into the Mo fan club...lol

EB Photography wrote:

mo is hot

Dec 04 10 06:19 pm Link

Model

miss pandora

OMG i love her, too smile I'm hoping to get to work with her someday...

Tom deL wrote:
Ohio's MzFit is awesome!

https://modelmayhm-7.vo.llnwd.net/d1/photos/100911/21/4c8c51518ca4f_m.jpg

http://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/pic/19461690 18+

Dec 04 10 06:20 pm Link

Photographer

Abbitt Photography

Washington, Utah, US

Must be regional.  I have a very hard time even finding models over 30

Dec 04 10 07:14 pm Link

Model

beautyslashing

Palmdale, California, US

I'm an oldie.  sad    And I still haven't even really started yet!

I've never modeled before, and never imagined that I would.  Then I thought about it in a totally different way, and figured I'd try it.  Weird.

Dec 04 10 07:48 pm Link

Model

miss pandora

I'd hardly call you old! lol

Maybe for fashion work, but your look is amazing for glamour or nudes. You're gorgeous-didn't people ever tell you you should be a model when you were younger?

blackviolet wrote:

I've never modeled before, and never imagined that I would.  Then I thought about it in a totally different way, and figured I'd try it.  Weird.

Dec 04 10 08:01 pm Link

Model

beautyslashing

Palmdale, California, US

Sandra W wrote:
I'd hardly call you old! lol

Maybe for fashion work, but your look is amazing for glamour or nudes. You're gorgeous-didn't people ever tell you you should be a model when you were younger?

Aww, thanks.  I neeeevvver would have when I was younger.  Hell, I'm not sure why I'm trying it now, haha.

He said older as in over 30, and I'll be 31 next month.  sad  Booo.  I think for my birthday, I'll just turn 29 instead.

Dec 05 10 12:31 am Link

Model

-Violet-

Dumbarton, Scotland, United Kingdom

Dec 05 10 12:38 am Link

Photographer

Malloch

Hastings, England, United Kingdom

By the time you are my age all models are young. Just some younger than others. Age presents no barrier in being a good model.

Dec 05 10 12:54 am Link

Model

miss h of california

San Diego, California, US

I started modeling in the 90s. Then life took over and I stopped. A few years ago, I got back into it. I'm having too much fun now...although it's still a little difficult to find the time to do it. I'll be 46 soon.

Dec 05 10 01:07 am Link

Photographer

bhb images

Rockford, Illinois, US

Since about any model here is younger than me (OK, some not by all that much) it's just a matter of appreciating the best features of a model and hopefully coming up with something that works with her looks. As a generalization, an older model tends to be easier to work with, due to overall experiences and familiarity maybe. But then I've worked with some fairly talented and professional 20 year olds, too.

Dec 05 10 01:17 am Link

Photographer

Falater Photography

Los Angeles, California, US

Of course, they're welcome to be here but I don't work with them.

Models start at age 12 and start to struggle at age 22 and are out to pasture at age 25.

Anything beyond that is pretend.

(the truth never hurts, only the sudden realization of it)

Dec 05 10 02:14 am Link

Photographer

Garry k

Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

in my view older means over 21

Dec 05 10 02:17 am Link

Photographer

Jerry Nemeth

Dearborn, Michigan, US

Garry k wrote:

lol

Dec 05 10 02:31 am Link

Photographer

Jerry Nemeth

Dearborn, Michigan, US

Falater Photography wrote:

Models start at age 12 and start to struggle at age 22 and are out to pasture at age 25.

sad     sad

Dec 05 10 02:32 am Link

Photographer

Beautiful Sundays

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Garry k wrote:

I've always seen 'older' as people who are ten or more years older than MYSELF!!

Which means virtually every model on mm is 'young' in my eyes....

I actually get a giggle from gorgeous 40 somethings who talk about being 'old'...psshh...kids these days....

PS Garry...great new avi....  borat

Dec 05 10 02:47 am Link

Model

SheaLee

Cookeville, Tennessee, US

So "Nice" to see we are Welcome here:)  I am sure models like Cindy Crawford, etc. would be glad to hear that they are just "pretend"!

Dec 05 10 02:59 am Link

Model

marissa charles

London, England, United Kingdom

SheaLee wrote:
So "Nice" to see we are Welcome here:)  I am sure models like Cindy Crawford, etc. would be glad to hear that they are just "pretend"!

And Carmen Del'Orifice must be the biggest fake model there is.She has been pretending to model for over 50 years.smile

Dec 05 10 03:34 am Link

Photographer

Self Replica

Chicago, Illinois, US

I kind of like the older ones.
It's easy to be beautiful when you are 16-25.

Older models may be somewhat blessed genetically...
but it takes a little more effort to stay attractive and fit.

Not just because the knees start to bother you and your back aches a little more..
but also...in my personal experience,, as I get older I'm more prone to just say "fuck it, I'll have that cheesecake" because life is short, and cake is delicious!

Dec 05 10 05:16 am Link

Photographer

Paul Callaby UK

Norwich, England, United Kingdom

Sandra W wrote:

I couldn't agree more. smile

Dec 05 10 05:35 am Link

Model

Kindra Ravenmoon

Montreal, Quebec, Canada

hmm you sound to be very out dated with this sort of talk haha
age should matter and outside of the fashions world it doesn't matter at all it is experience,talent and character that makes a great model and well I am now a 41 alt. model and well no struggle here I actually turn down tons of work for modelling is not my main interest at the moment have my time devoted to numerous projects and am sure it is like this for many "older" models ...
I say rethink and update your views ,you are sounding pretty old and out to pasture hon
(:

Dec 05 10 05:39 am Link

Photographer

Paul Callaby UK

Norwich, England, United Kingdom

I suppose everyone is entitled to their own opinion, no matter how misguided it is sad

Dec 05 10 05:41 am Link

Photographer

Photogdan

Louisville, Kentucky, US

Jerry Nemeth wrote:

nice job, I like older models also.

Dec 05 10 05:44 am Link

Model

Sirensong

Cardiff, Wales, United Kingdom

Nope, not in all cases, although yes many photographers dont like using older models in (in general) when compared to the amount of work a younger model gets it doesnt mean all older models are pretending either.
It just means there is more of a niche market to work within, some will do well, some will have fun and some will struggle..
Like any other model..

Dec 05 10 05:47 am Link

Photographer

Photogdan

Louisville, Kentucky, US

blackviolet wrote:

Nice port, I would love to shoot with someone with your looks and attitude..........now if there was not 2/3 of a country between us

Dec 05 10 05:48 am Link

Photographer

Trupin Photography

North Bend, Washington, US

blackviolet wrote:

Hard to think of someone who was 4 years old when I graduated high school as "an oldie."

Could you kick up any replies to this to 14 point text so I can read them? Thanks.

Dec 05 10 05:51 am Link

Photographer

Van D Lay

West Palm Beach, Florida, US

Jerry Nemeth wrote:

Mo is GREAT! I have a couple of shots of her on my port. Check out the one with the fishnets and red heels. https://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/pic/16134814

Dec 05 10 06:01 am Link

Photographer

EB Photography

Van D Lay wrote:

Mo is GREAT! I have a couple of shots of her on my port. Check out the one with the fishnets and red heels. https://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/pic/16134814

whoa.. very cool shot.. love it

Dec 05 10 06:03 am Link

Photographer

EB Photography

SheaLee wrote:

dang and you look great too.

Dec 05 10 06:04 am Link

Model

Susan West

Goshen, Indiana, US

I started this summer at age 37. Modeling is something I always wanted to try, but never had time. Between the kids and building our very busy business it was just a dream, now that the kids are older and the business makes good money with or without me it's a lot easier to focus and enjoy modeling. I know I'll never be a supermodel and can't compete with a 20 year old, but I'm truely enjoying this experience. It really feels good to know we can still be sexy and desireable in our late 30's and beyond. I can't express how much fun I've had this year and how many great people I have met because of this!
Sue.

Dec 05 10 06:12 am Link