Forums > Digital Art and Retouching > What did Playboy do before Photoshop?

Photographer

Ken Marcus Studios

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Paramour Productions wrote:

If I understand what your asking about correctly, that's a function of the printing process, not the photographic process.

Exactly . . . the printers job was to reproduce the original transparencies exactly and that sometimes required extra work on their end.

KM

Jan 03 11 02:41 pm Link

Photographer

WIP

Cheltenham, England, United Kingdom

LensFlair wrote:
Ken,

I got a degree in Graphic Arts back in the 70's. We had a guest speaker who was showing dot etching techniques, and one of his examples was the Janis Schmitt centerfold that you shot. There was quite a bit of dot etch "retouching" on one of her calves. Any recollections of this?

You also had the coming of Quantel Paint box. Lot more powerful than PS which was not heard of.

Jan 03 11 02:54 pm Link

Photographer

David Mecey

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

To everyone on this thread! First, my praise and thanks to my friend Ken for taking on the task of answering all the questions concerning the ins and outs of shooting Playboy photographs.

As you either know, or might guess, there has been so much written about 'how it was done' by so many people, the reality has become more than clouded over the years. Ken, Arny, Jarmo, and myself 'lived' working for Playboy. Arny and Jarmo still do. But it's a legacy filled with so many hours of shooting to get fantastic images, none of us, and I mean none of us ever shot an image thinking it was going to be 'fixed' later. In fact, what worried me most was the fact that if I did not come back with a fantastic shot, the model would never be published. There were no re-shoots. At least not on 'girls of' features. Playmates were a different story as Mr. Hefner wanted those photographs, all the photographs to be absolutely perfect. That meant shooting enough great pictures that you could pick and choose and almost immediately send them to the printer to be published, and without any Photoshop, as it hadn't been invented yet!

So I ask you all to come to our Seminars, Workshops, all the programs we have planned at Shoot the Centerfold. You will see how we did it and do it now. You will be able to photograph the model with our light with us at your side. You will be able to ask all your questions about the myths, the truths, and even the half-truths that have floated around forever. Go to www.shootthecenterfold.com. Thanks!

Arny, David, and Jarmo (with honors to Ken)

Jan 16 11 11:12 pm Link

Photographer

Andy Wanderlust

San Jose, California, US

I hope they auction some of the articles. That's why I read Playboy.

Jan 31 11 01:37 pm Link

Photographer

TheJunction

Alvin, Texas, US

Growing up I "read" Playboy.  Do you mean that those girls were not absolutely perfect, with flawless skin?

Boy, am I bummmmed!

Jan 31 11 01:43 pm Link

Photographer

Ken Marcus Studios

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

c_h_r_i_s wrote:
Wow some of the early PB had huge firm tits. No need for image manipulation.

Ken;
"less than 1/4 stop leeway for error" can you tell 1/4 stop difference ? and what lens had 1/4 stops ? I'm yet to come across one (not digital). I don't think meters could read 1/4 stops.

Meter's that we used in those days would read to 1/8th stops.

And yes . . . you can actually see the difference of a 1/4 stop on Kodachrome.

The lenses on the 8x10 view cameras had variable diaphragms that could be adjusted to any position. Not like the digital cameras of today where it's dictated to either half stops or third stops.

Jan 31 11 01:46 pm Link

Photographer

Christopher Carter

Indianapolis, Indiana, US

c_h_r_i_s wrote:
Wow some of the early PB had huge firm tits. No need for image manipulation.

Actually, there was an article I read a few months ago, talking about how the trends in breast shape, size, look, etc have changed over the year. Someone poured through hundreds of PBs since the beginning and took note of trends and patterns. It was actually an interesting article.

Jan 31 11 02:28 pm Link

Photographer

WIP

Cheltenham, England, United Kingdom

Ken Marcus Studios wrote:
Meter's that we used in those days would read to 1/8th stops.

And yes . . . you can actually see the difference of a 1/4 stop on Kodachrome.

The lenses on the 8x10 view cameras had variable diaphragms that could be adjusted to any position. Not like the digital cameras of today where it's dictated to either half stops or third stops.

Your having a joke 1/4 of a stop. Must have incredible eyes as must the printer !
+1/4 push was common 'supposedly' cleaned up the whites.

I do know 10x8 and 4x5 (Sinar) for about 10 years. 1000 sheets of film.
Time to walk away from the forums there getting far to silly.

Jan 31 11 03:35 pm Link