This thread was locked on 2013-01-24 00:51:37
Forums > Off-Topic Discussion > What's with the "What's with the [...]?" threads?

Photographer

Fotografia-di-Asia

Park City, Utah, US

Benny-H wrote:

ok so how is this for a change, and i will shoot it, unless someone does it first...ok here is the idea

2 models... female... nude...

the location - construction sites with a toilet out in the open

1st model, is stuck in the toilet, with caution tape wrapped around the toilet with ducktape holding her arm over her head.

2nd model, with her booty facing the camera is wearing nothing but a construction belt and an american flag smile

i'm gonna steal your idea. big_smile

Jan 22 07 04:27 pm Link

Photographer

UIPHOTOS

Dayton, Ohio, US

David (6of7) wrote:
I thought it was Seinfeld starting all those threads.

"what's with those airplane peanuts?"
"what's with taxis in NYC?"

OMG, i spit out my peach tea.. I LUV SEINFELD and there is a seinfeld reference for every situation in life..

Though i think his standup sucks, his show changed the vocabulary of a generation..

YES, I double dip but I am not a close talker.. LOL

Ok.. back to the thread at hand..

Jan 22 07 04:55 pm Link

Photographer

Vida Studios

New York, New York, US

Whatever pay the bills, if they paying I do it over and over or even do the most famous poses ever, ass facing me and the girl looking back,lol If she is paying she is the boss im just another worker .....

Feb 09 07 03:21 am Link

Photographer

nathan combs

Waynesboro, Virginia, US

i shoot a lot of small town photoj now of coarse if you looked in my port

http://www.photo.net/photodb/folder.tcl?folder_id=77308

you would see the same photos that is in every small town photojournalist's port i not stilling ideas there is only some menny way you can photo a car wreck, sporting event or house fire. but the fact is that pretty much every things been dun in fact it was already dun a 100 years a go so where doomed to repeat it agen and  agen .........

Feb 09 07 03:41 am Link

Photographer

re- photography

San Francisco, California, US

march24girl wrote:

ducktape over the mouth to relay a message like hear/see/say no evil shot with naomi campbell and i think cindy crawford back in the 80's. i think its a cute look. but just like he said everyone's just trying to do their thing. there's only so much originality in the world eventually someone is going to repeat an idea since everyone is influenced by someone.

I'm sure someone already pointed this out, but I believe the point being made was that it's "duct-tape" (originally for taping vents/ducts) not "duck-tape" which would start all the PETA people yelling about the cruelty of taping up all those innocent ducks.......

Feb 09 07 03:48 am Link

Photographer

udor

New York, New York, US

Bumpizzle Fashizzle

Mar 25 07 02:54 am Link

Photographer

Elizabeth May

Edinburgh, Scotland, United Kingdom

I agree.  I don't give a damn whether or not an aspect of a photo is cliche as long as the photographer has done something to make it their own. 

~Aurie

Mar 25 07 03:03 am Link

Photographer

Lily of the Valley

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Bravo!!!

Mar 25 07 03:08 am Link

Photographer

SLE Photography

Orlando, Florida, US

This needed a bump

Sep 02 07 01:38 pm Link

Photographer

RSM-images

Jacksonville, Florida, US

Christine wrote:
haha ducktape..I used to call it that too!

Edit: for people who didn't get it...its duct tape

Actually, when the tape was developed for military use during the Korean War, it was first called "duck tape", because water rolled off it as water does off a duck's back.

The popular name changed during the late 50s to "duct tape" when air conditioning became more ubiquitous and the tape was found to be the answer for sealing metal air ducting.

Oooops!  I should have read the entire thread before posting as my comment regarding "duck tape" was already mentioned.

Sep 02 07 03:15 pm Link

Model

Jenna Gianni

Sacramento, California, US

udo needs a bj.

Sep 02 07 03:15 pm Link

Photographer

GAETANO CATELLI STUDIOS

Oxford, Mississippi, US

udor wrote:
Ya know...?

Those threads were photographers/models complain about a specific type of often used shooting "themes", because the "creator" seem to lack the creativity to do something new...

What's up with that?

Why are you disturbed by "cliches", such as booty shots, arm over the head, duct tape, girls on toilettes, caution tape, girls wrapped in the American flag, on construction sites, with construction belts on their hips, with... arrrghhhh...?

I am more offended by such a snobbism than by the "lack of inspiration".

If you, the complainer, are so much better and so much more creative, why don't you rather post examples of your totally unique ideas, that have not been done in a similar way already a few million times on this planet?!

Just my few cents... stop bitching how the others are not up to your standards, and take care of your very own vision and art, and let others do their thing, let them experiment and grow in their own art.

Cool?!

UdoR

Edit: I want to include the habit of some photographers who try to diminish the talent and achievement of famous photographers with the "they don't deserve their fame, their work sucks" attitudes. Dudes... maybe you are not good enough to see the subtleties in those photos... there is so much more to what makes a photographer famous. (This Edit is also the latest entry in this thread.)

i don't care what anyone says about my voicing my opinion:  Canon rules, and Nikon drools!

Sep 02 07 04:41 pm Link

Photographer

coach moon

Pensacola, Florida, US

PK Digital Imaging wrote:
Preaching to the choir here.  smile

Now I'm off to shoot a model having sex standing on her head in a hammok.

-PKD

haha. WOW! that'd be something to see, fersure!

Sep 02 07 05:09 pm Link

Photographer

udor

New York, New York, US

*Walking down the threads and stumbling over a few bumps*

wink

Sep 19 07 05:54 pm Link

Photographer

udor

New York, New York, US

Jenna Gianni wrote:
udo needs a bj.

Errrr... yeah!  wink

Sep 19 07 05:54 pm Link

Photographer

Minx & Fox

Palm Springs, California, US

I actually miss a good railroad track picture.

And bumping because there are still some relevant POV in here that the usual whiners of MM should read.

Jan 14 13 09:41 am Link

Photographer

Justin

Fort Collins, Colorado, US

Portraits are so cliche.

But seriously, folks. The reason things get cliche is because they work for people. After a couple times now of telling a model, "No, I wasn't planning on a hand bra shot, because they're so cliche," and hearing, "But I want a hand bra shot," (no, I'm serious) I gave in and took 'em, and whaddya know, the models liked them. Who am I to argue with that?

Here's yer railroad tracks shot. I like 'em, too.

https://cdn2.istudio.com/0077/391/tm_562045.jpg

Jan 14 13 10:36 am Link

Photographer

DougBPhoto

Portland, Oregon, US

Jenna Gianni wrote:
udo needs a bj.

Hopefully that need finally got taken care of !!

Jan 14 13 10:45 am Link

Photographer

Compass Rose Studios

Portland, Oregon, US

I blame it on Seinfeld.

(goddammit someone beat me to the punchline). 

nevermind.

Jan 14 13 11:06 am Link

Photographer

DougBPhoto

Portland, Oregon, US

Compass Rose Studios wrote:
I blame it on Seinfeld.

(goddammit someone beat me to the punchline). 

nevermind.

I love Seinfeld and I love RR tracks, cause that is where the choo choos are. tongue

Jan 14 13 11:26 am Link

Photographer

udor

New York, New York, US

DougBPhoto wrote:

I love Seinfeld and I love RR tracks, cause that is where the choo choos are. tongue

I am at a toss between 2 1/2 Men and Seinfeld... I love both... but Seinfeld is now kinda dated with the jokes because... well... they didn't even have cell phones... big_smile

Jan 14 13 04:18 pm Link

Photographer

DougBPhoto

Portland, Oregon, US

udor wrote:
I am at a toss between 2 1/2 Men and Seinfeld... I love both... but Seinfeld is now kinda dated with the jokes because... well... they didn't even have cell phones... big_smile

both classics...

my personal choice to be tired of the overdone...

the aforementioned toilet and for me, musical instruments... posing with guitars facepalm

Hmmm... on a toilet, with a guitar, and caution tape... and an American flag

Jan 14 13 04:45 pm Link

Photographer

Hank Pegeron

STATEN ISLAND, New York, US

Thank you for that post .... well said and on point.

Jan 23 13 10:18 pm Link

Photographer

Photos 4 The Memories

Kewaskum, Wisconsin, US

WOW what a zombie thread!

Jan 24 13 12:38 am Link