Forums > Photography Talk > Tall Model v.s. Short Photographer

Photographer

Yusra Siddiqui

Chattanooga, Tennessee, US

I am a measly 5'5'', while my models (especially males) are usually a foot/foot and a half taller than myself. ANDAND I usually have to stand on my tippest-tip-toes to aim the lens just right ;_;
I, being 17 now, don't think I'm gettin' much taller than this.

I do use step-stools occasionally, but sometimes terrain becomes a drawback, what with living in hilly Tennessee.

I was just wondering if anyone had creative tips hehe~
c:

Jan 21 11 12:44 pm Link

Photographer

Jerry Nemeth

Dearborn, Michigan, US

Always bring along a small step-stool.

Jan 21 11 12:46 pm Link

Photographer

Andrew Thomas Evans

Minneapolis, Minnesota, US

I regret not buying a pair of 6 inch platform tennis shoes back in my raver days. They would come in handy now at times.

Andrew Thomas Evans
www.andrewthomasevans.com

Jan 21 11 12:49 pm Link

Photographer

Photography by BE

Midland, Texas, US

Stand on higher ground (than the model).

Jan 21 11 12:49 pm Link

Photographer

Steve Gould

Milwaukee, Wisconsin, US

Jan 21 11 12:50 pm Link

Photographer

Yusra Siddiqui

Jan 21 11 12:51 pm Link

Photographer

Ezhini

Wichita, Kansas, US

Take a little practice but looks like fun:  http://www.tooled-up.com/MicroCategory. … &MCID=1735

tongue

Jan 21 11 12:56 pm Link

Photographer

Leonard Gee Photography

Sacramento, California, US

Yusra Siddiqui Imagery wrote:
I am a measly 5'5''

You are too tall. A pro photographer should only be about 3 feet tall.

Jerry Della Femina also claims they have long arms that drag the ground from carrying all that equipment.

Jan 21 11 12:58 pm Link

Photographer

Yusra Siddiqui

Ezhini wrote:
Take a little practice but looks like fun:  http://www.tooled-up.com/MicroCategory. … &MCID=1735

tongue

AH
That's perfect~~

Jan 21 11 01:00 pm Link

Photographer

Chuckarelei

Seattle, Washington, US

Yusra Siddiqui Imagery wrote:
I am a measly 5'5'', while my models (especially males) are usually a foot/foot and a half taller than myself. ANDAND I usually have to stand on my tippest-tip-toes to aim the lens just right ;_;
I, being 17 now, don't think I'm gettin' much taller than this.

I do use step-stools occasionally, but sometimes terrain becomes a drawback, what with living in hilly Tennessee.

I was just wondering if anyone had creative tips hehe~
c:

tips is shoot at a lower angle, be creative. You don't have to shoot at eye level everytime.

And if you have to shoot at eye level in hilly terrain, just go to higher ground and tell your models go to lower ground. Problem solved?

Jan 21 11 01:00 pm Link

Photographer

Yusra Siddiqui

Leonard Gee Photography wrote:
You are too tall. A pro photographer should only be about 3 feet tall.

/sad panda tears
; n;

brb, getting the chainsaw.

Jan 21 11 01:01 pm Link

Photographer

Yusra Siddiqui

Chuckarelei wrote:

tips is shoot at a lower angle, be creative. You don't have to shoot at eye level everytime.

And if you have to shoot at eye level in hilly terrain, just go to higher ground and tell your models go to lower ground. Problem solved?

Actually

That first piece of advice was especially helpful.
I'll have to experiment. ; u;

Thank you ♥

Jan 21 11 01:02 pm Link

Photographer

Microwave Photo

Freeland, Michigan, US

it's a good thing...you don't have to buy a waist level finder for your camera.

Jan 21 11 01:05 pm Link

Photographer

tbarker

Orlando, Florida, US

I'm not exactly short at 5'11, but I still have a step stool always at hand - either in the studio or in my location gear.

(Though I confess that when I saw the title of this thread, I was hoping for a link to a video showing a cage match between a small photographer and large model. Oh well:)

Jan 21 11 01:06 pm Link

Photographer

Dalyimages John J Daly

Calgary, Alberta, Canada

I am 5ft 2 in  never gve it much thought

Jan 21 11 01:10 pm Link

Photographer

T Kelly Photography

Massillon, Ohio, US

I am 5' even. It definitely has it's disadvantages. I have been known to climb up on chairs, railings, window ledges etc to get my shots. You do what ya gotta do. smile

Jan 21 11 01:23 pm Link

Photographer

Yusra Siddiqui

Microwave Photo wrote:
it's a good thing...you don't have to buy a waist level finder for your camera.

I suppose I do have the lesser of two evils~
c:

Jan 21 11 01:24 pm Link

Photographer

Yusra Siddiqui

Tim Barker Photography wrote:
I'm not exactly short at 5'11, but I still have a step stool always at hand - either in the studio or in my location gear.

(Though I confess that when I saw the title of this thread, I was hoping for a link to a video showing a cage match between a small photographer and large model. Oh well:)

That's a good sign of an artistic mind, hehe! ♥

Jan 21 11 01:26 pm Link

Photographer

Yusra Siddiqui

T Kelly Photography wrote:
I am 5' even. It definitely has it's disadvantages. I have been known to climb up on chairs, railings, window ledges etc to get my shots. You do what ya gotta do. smile

Oh my gosh- you must have crazy awesome balance.
I'm really inspired now.

I probably need a grow an imaginary pair and follow your ways :'

Jan 21 11 01:28 pm Link

Photographer

T Kelly Photography

Massillon, Ohio, US

I've had a few scares, lol. I almost teetered off an ottoman once, almost slid down hills etc. tongue

Jan 21 11 01:36 pm Link

Photographer

Jaysen R Lee

Anaheim, California, US

Or make the model crouch down big_smile

Jan 21 11 01:41 pm Link

Photographer

Fleming Design

East Hartford, Connecticut, US

Jump.  you are young and probably have at least a 14-18 inch vertical leap.  Fast shutter and great timing and serious hang time and you are all set.  Ha ha!

Jan 21 11 01:45 pm Link

Photographer

Photos by Lorrin

Eugene, Oregon, US

think about

D5000 or 60D with articulated screen so you can hold camera above your eye level.

When Rollie was popular that was a common technique.

Jan 21 11 01:45 pm Link

Photographer

NocoJoe

Seattle, Washington, US

Take the GWC approach and chop off the models heads.  lol. That is what I would do. smile

Jan 21 11 01:50 pm Link

Photographer

Amanda Stevens

New York, New York, US

I'm the same height and mostly shoot concerts...I always wear at least a 3-4" heel to a concert and get sh*t from male security guards who dont think I know what I'm doing...until I'm calling crowd surfers for them

as per modeling, if there is higher ground for you to stand on do that and just shoot with a 70-200 or something of the like...a small stool from like home depot is like $5 or less ... I use them all the time in group portraits for people in the back to stand up on and sometimes for myself

Jan 21 11 01:50 pm Link

Photographer

Amanda Stevens

New York, New York, US

Fleming Design wrote:
Jump.  you are young and probably have at least a 14-18 inch vertical leap.  Fast shutter and great timing and serious hang time and you are all set.  Ha ha!

LOL and then you'll get some "creative" "motion blur" too!

Jan 21 11 01:51 pm Link

Photographer

Images by MR

Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

Jump...

Jan 21 11 01:59 pm Link

Photographer

YnY Photography Studios

Legal, Alberta, Canada

I don't get this thread at all... Being shorter than your model only means that you don't have to crouch down as much to get that flattering waist-height angle without a vari-finder (since vari -finders are out of style now, though the Olympus PEN is bringing them back).

I'm only 5'6" and I'm always crouching down to get the right angle on my models.

Only if I'm doing headshots on a really tall model who's standing up, do I need a higher vantage point. But even in that situation it's only to save time since she could just as easily be sitting for a headshot.

Jan 21 11 04:13 pm Link

Photographer

Roy Lett

Tallahassee, Florida, US

To the O.P.- you say you are 17; I am now 58...where I am going or heading with this- there are items I use for the various task I engage in (photography is one) and have been using for many years. I am always on the look out for "what works best". An example: I have more than a dozen different types of hammers- some for woodworking, jewelry making, welding, etc.,. I have loads of photo "accessories" I have acquired over the years searching for "better/best/etc.,. I am not alone here ;-)
If you are height challenged (under 6ft) I would always be on the lookout for different types of  step-stools, homemade boxes of differing sizes,etc.,.-and chances are good that along the way you will find a device or two, or three that works for you. You may also be inspired to create an innovative new/different type of "height adder" that may be so neat and or different you could make you career out of producing and selling them...
As mentioned, try to "pre-visualize" and attempt to use the environment you are working in to your advantage (re:You-higher, Model-lower when necessary). "Adapt and Overcome"...good luck!

Jan 21 11 04:33 pm Link

Photographer

Kousoulas Photography

Surfside, Florida, US

You can shoot from any angle and be creative---however I think you are asking the question because you want to shoot straight ahead with a level camera and you think the models tower over you.

This is actually good...You will see the pros shooting catalog work and such that the camera is level and at about waist level (or someplace better). The reason is that a level camera will still reveal its altitude in the picture. Classic picture of a guy shooting his girlfriend as he stands produces a shot where the lens see the tops of her shoulders and looks down on everything else, even though it is level. The girl looks short and dumpy.

Aim the camera at the rough midpoint of the model and she will have a perspective and proportion in the frame that flatters and doesn't distort. Your height is not a disadvantage.

Jan 21 11 04:41 pm Link

Photographer

Studio 205

Worcester, Massachusetts, US

+1

I'm 6'1 and I stand on step stools and chairs.

Jan 21 11 04:43 pm Link

Photographer

Ryan L Holbrook

Raleigh, North Carolina, US

I am about 5' 11".  Even when shooting models about my own height, I often find my self on my knees shooting full body shots.  Only on close ups do I need to be on their level.

Jan 21 11 04:46 pm Link

Photographer

Oliver Anderson Fashion

San Francisco, California, US

As an ex runway model and being 6'2" and totally hotttt I'm jealous.  I have to crouch to shoot fashion models.  The sweet spot is mid body and I'm going to have to bend down to shoot.  It's not bad to be short like you are.....and see that penny on the ground???? I do but its way tooooo far to bend down and pick up

Jan 21 11 04:47 pm Link

Photographer

Philipe

Pomona, California, US

Why would want to shoot at eye level?

Jan 21 11 04:50 pm Link

Photographer

Beyond Vanilla

Minneapolis, Minnesota, US

I'm 5'6" short and take way more pictures from my knees than I do standing. Rules are made to be broken, but, they are still there for a good reason.

For full-length photos, (The ones that include the model's head and feet), the camera should be about the same height as the model's waist...ie: the middle of the image.

For head shots, the camera should be about the height of the model's nose...ie: the middle of the image.

I had an instructor though, who sounded like a broken record for two semesters. He repeated over and over his two favorite suggestions to improve photographs...
1. Get closer.
2. Get lower.

Your height isn't a curse, it's a blessing.

Jan 21 11 04:54 pm Link

Retoucher

Benski

London, England, United Kingdom

Yeah I'd actually surprised 5'5's a problem at all - I'd have thought it would be an advantage! Usually fashion photographers can't get low enough.

I'd normally shoot between a model's chest height and crotch height. But I've seen my favourite photographers shooting from shoe height.

Jan 21 11 04:58 pm Link

Photographer

JC Strick

Dalton, Georgia, US

I use a wheelchair to get around so I know all too well what it's like to shoot at fart level.

I say shooting at eye level is boring. I find the best pics are from the models waist level with an upward angle.
If that doesn't work, I just hold the camera above my head. Or use a monopod and a remote to hold the camera way up there.

Jan 21 11 05:01 pm Link

Photographer

Bob Helm Photography

Cherry Hill, New Jersey, US

Have them lay down, then you are a lot taller.

Jan 21 11 05:01 pm Link

Photographer

Yusra Siddiqui

JC Strick wrote:
I use a wheelchair to get around so I know all too well what it's like to shoot at fart level.

I say shooting at eye level is boring. I find the best pics are from the models waist level with an upward angle.
If that doesn't work, I just hold the camera above my head. Or use a monopod and a remote to hold the camera way up there.

I would have never of guessed; your photos don't reflect it at all.

Thank you for the advice ♥

Jan 21 11 05:03 pm Link

Photographer

Jay Terry Photography

London, Ontario, Canada

Ditto, although I'm 6'3" and not 5'11". A 3-step, wide platform ladder is a must have (unless, of course, you can stretch like Mr. Fantastic ... big_smile).

Jan 21 11 05:04 pm Link