Forums > General Industry > Models.....How honest are you when listing your stats?

Photographer

Marvin Dockery

Alcoa, Tennessee, US

A lot of models have stats listed, that can not be correct. Their weights and measurements do not add up to their height.  Also I have watched one Tennessee model's OMP page for over two years, and she has stayed twenty nine, but looks thirty seven

One of my former models has updated her stats, and has dropped her age by two or more years. I know because I have a photo copy of her drivers license on file.  I will not name any  names, but I am just wondering how many are being honest.

Aug 04 05 12:48 am Link

Model

Samantha Smead

Clive, Iowa, US

I'm one hundred percent honest with mine.  I even update the weight when i gain wink

Aug 04 05 12:51 am Link

Photographer

area291

Calabasas, California, US

Actually, listing an age range is far better.  18-22, 20-29, etc.

Listing a specfic age gives connotation.  That's neither good nor bad, it just does.  Listing a range extends the thought of possibility.

Aug 04 05 12:59 am Link

Photographer

Marvin Dockery

Alcoa, Tennessee, US

Age range will work most of the times, but models often see themselves as looking younger than they do. 

Aug 04 05 01:02 am Link

Model

Samantha Smead

Clive, Iowa, US

betcha i look younger then i am. lol j/k

Aug 04 05 01:03 am Link

Model

Jessika Rae

Akron, Ohio, US

I honestly don't know my stomach or hip size. So I kinda guestimate?  But I try and come close..

Aug 04 05 01:05 am Link

Model

Samantha Smead

Clive, Iowa, US

Shame shame Jessika a tape measurer is a model's best friend

Aug 04 05 01:06 am Link

Model

Jessika Rae

Akron, Ohio, US

Posted by paleosam: 
Shame shame Jessika a tape measurer is a model's best friend

I know.  All I've got is ruler for school.  :-(

Aug 04 05 01:07 am Link

Photographer

William Kious

Delphos, Ohio, US

Does it really matter?  There's more to a model than a collection of measurements (unless, of course, you want to know for wardrobe reasons.) 

And, as I see it, age is entirely irrelevant.  If you like a models port, who cares if she fudges her age (so long as she's legal to shoot with.)

Aug 04 05 01:08 am Link

Photographer

Brian Diaz

Danbury, Connecticut, US

Posted by William Kious: 
Does it really matter?  There's more to a model than a collection of measurements (unless, of course, you want to know for wardrobe reasons.) 

And, as I see it, age is entirely irrelevant.  If you like a models port, who cares if she fudges her age (so long as she's legal to shoot with.)

Your parentheticals answered your questions exactly.

Aug 04 05 01:11 am Link

Photographer

Marvin Dockery

Alcoa, Tennessee, US

Our body's go through several changes as we age. I do a lot of nude shoots to create prints that collectors and galleries buy.  A model at eighteen to twenty can do certain poses, that most twenty eight year old models can not. (remember I said most)

One example is a pose with the buttocks turned toward the camera, and then turning the shoulders and face to one side in profile The older models will get a crease or fold in the waist, where the younger models with the same stats will not.

For dressed shoots, I think that a models dress size is often  the best way to judge her true size.  Almost every model will know what size dress she wears.

Aug 04 05 01:18 am Link

Model

Lapis

Chicago, Illinois, US

Since photographers have been known to whip out tape measures and also the dress sizes stated, it is stupid to lie on stats. Weight can be misleading...many women vary by about 5-10 lbs during their cycle. So, of course, I pick the lower number...as to my age, I am actually 58, but figure that no one would believe that.

Aug 04 05 01:29 am Link

Photographer

Star

Los Angeles, California, US

for me, out in sunny southern ca, age is very important since people's skin out here can age very quickly. Many models I work with are 27,28 or 29 but these are usually the gothic girls who never go out into the sun. I use natural light with a reflector, so girls who say they are 25 and show up looking 40 just waste my time,

Star

Aug 04 05 01:32 am Link

Makeup Artist

Camera Ready Studios

Dallas, Texas, US

Posted by Star: 
for me, out in sunny southern ca, age is very important since people's skin out here can age very quickly. Many models I work with are 27,28 or 29 but these are usually the gothic girls who never go out into the sun. I use natural light with a reflector, so girls who say they are 25 and show up looking 40 just waste my time,

Star

yep, that Califonia life, sun, alcohol etc.....I would not test with anyone I have not seen in person again.  EVER.  I have learned the hard way about the lies lies lies. 

Aug 04 05 01:50 am Link

Model

Lapis

Chicago, Illinois, US

Posted by Marvin Dockery: 
Our body's go through several changes as we age. I do a lot of nude shoots to create prints that collectors and galleries buy.  A model at eighteen to twenty can do certain poses, that most twenty eight year old models can not. (remember I said most)

One example is a pose with the buttocks turned toward the camera, and then turning the shoulders and face to one side in profile The older models will get a crease or fold in the waist, where the younger models with the same stats will not.

For dressed shoots, I think that a models dress size is often  the best way to judge her true size.  Almost every model will know what size dress she wears.

Collectors will buy art done by models with more experience (age) and the ability to throw a dramatic pose as well as photos of flexible 18 y.o. olds. However, if you are selling in galleries, it probably makes more sense to look at them in person then to judge them by age. Also, yoga does wonders for us 58 year olds. lol.

Aug 04 05 02:05 am Link

Photographer

New York, New York, US

For sizes it matters so,  so greatly for clothing.

For age who cares.   Two of my favorite models are 52 and 55 I think.
( tonight I will change my avatar to one of them.)

Aug 04 05 02:08 am Link

Model

Lapis

Chicago, Illinois, US

Posted by marksora: 

As I already wrote, I think that one should always be accurate about measurements and size for that exact reason.

Aug 04 05 02:13 am Link

Model

Amy Harber

Chicago, Illinois, US

heck even agents lies about talents' ages. That's how you end up with 30-yr-old actors playing high school seniors on tv.

Aug 04 05 02:20 am Link

Photographer

New York, New York, US

Posted by Lapis: 

Posted by marksora: 

As I already wrote, I think that one should always be accurate about measurements and size for that exact reason.

You think I actually read threads when I post this fast?

Aug 04 05 02:22 am Link

Model

Lola Babalon

Seattle, Washington, US

I'm honest about everything in my profile. I don't think it's fair to lie about anything, since I certainly wouldn't want a photographer to lie to me.

Aug 04 05 02:23 am Link

Photographer

Marvin Dockery

Alcoa, Tennessee, US

Posted by Diabolica Robotica: 
I'm honest about everything in my profile. I don't think it's fair to lie about anything, since I certainly wouldn't want a photographer to lie to me. 

I like your answer. If we are to act in a professional way, we should not lie. This goes for photographers, and everyone connected to this business. 

Aug 04 05 02:29 am Link

Model

Kat McGeough

Seattle, Washington, US

100% honest.  Although it hurt a bit to select 30 for my age.  I just don't believe it most days.  I'm too young to be 30.

Aug 04 05 02:32 am Link

Model

top asian model

San Francisco, California, US

Whoever lie's about there age is just hurting themselves. If an agent thinks your a size 24 waist and they come out to be a size 31 the model is waisting the agent's time and there time. So I'd suggest a lieing is a NO NO!

Aug 04 05 03:21 am Link

Model

Pinky

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, US

I feel I don't need a reason to lie about anything in my profile, measurements, height, weight, or age.  A combination of those stats together, I think I look good and should be proud of that fact.  I'm 6 feet tall weigh 130 pound AFTER having 2 children and I'm 34 years old.  (Oh, I took yoga and I'm more flexible than most 20 year olds I know in person.)

Aug 04 05 03:43 am Link

Model

Daphne G

New York, New York, US

I am just wondering how many are being honest.

If I lie in my profile and then the lie is revealed sometime during my conversations or meetings with a photographer (which at some point it most definitely will), that sets a horrible tone for the working relationship that I'm trying to develop with that photographer.

I keep my profile updated to reflect the truth.  Lies generally don't last forever, and I don't want to kill a good working relationship before it's even had the chance to blossom.

Aug 04 05 05:08 am Link

Model

LORA

Washington, District of Columbia, US

It's just really funny how some of the descriptions are obvious untruths. Like a recent photo shoot that shows twenty pounds more than the description...Or "experienced" with only webcam shots... we could go on and on.

Aug 04 05 05:10 am Link

Model

LORA

Washington, District of Columbia, US

phantom post

Aug 04 05 05:13 am Link

Photographer

bobby sargent

Deming, New Mexico, US

This is a trick question RIGHT?

That is to funny.  You have got to be kidding me!!!! RIGHT?

Pink Floyd rules for sure. bs

Aug 04 05 05:24 am Link

Model

Chill Factor

New York, New York, US

My stats are right on the money!

Aug 04 05 06:20 am Link

Photographer

Peter Dattolo

Wolcott, Connecticut, US

(Sneaks in and pulls the $100 out from Chill stats and goes and buys a candy bar, then puts change back)

I will pay you back on tuesday   smile

Aug 04 05 09:25 am Link

Photographer

Marvin Dockery

Alcoa, Tennessee, US

Posted by bobby sargent: 
This is a trick question RIGHT?

That is to funny.  You have got to be kidding me!!!! RIGHT?

Pink Floyd rules for sure. bs

Bobby,

Not a trick question. 

One of my part time activities is to find models, from OMP, and now MM, for the Annual Spring Break Calendar shot each March, in FL.
(ClassmateUSA.com)

We select six models, to fly in, plus ask about fifteen to drive to the shoot.  Often when the models arrive, their looks, and measurements, do not match their stats.  With plane tickets, meals, and lodging, this can add up to a lot of wasted money.

This past spring we had to do two additional shoots, in April, to have enough good images for the calendar.

Aug 04 05 10:50 am Link

Model

Cat O Nyne

Saint Louis, Missouri, US

My measurements and age are right on. I changed my weight to fit what I think someone my size normally weighs since I think my actual weight might make people think there was something wrong with the measurements I gave. No one has ever believed me when I tell them what I weigh. Plus I don't really know why anyone would need to know my weight here. Unless they want to set me up with a fight...
Please let me know if I'm wrong... if there is a legitimate reason to be more honest about the weight.

Aug 04 05 11:24 am Link

Model

Naomi Jay

New York, New York, US

People told me to lie about my height yet, agencies measure you no matter what. Weight;that can fluctuate 2-5 lbs. Measurements; I see models pics and I see what some have listed...I laugh. Age: I think age ranges would be better. Because usually the cut off is 30-35...and at 37...I miss searches. And I can play 34 let's say.

Aug 04 05 12:01 pm Link

Model

Holly T Morgan

Garland, Texas, US

Posted by paleosam: 
I'm one hundred percent honest with mine.  I even update the weight when i gain wink

Alas, I am too...I keep my measurements exact...I just had to change mine, some for the better, some for the worse, but at least the photographers know what will be walking in the door.....

Holly

Aug 04 05 12:29 pm Link

Model

Sharon Nadac

New York, New York, US

Wow, I didn't know so many people lied. I'm honest with mine. I mean sometimes I gain two pounds, loose two pounds, but everything else is correct. I always weigh between 108-112

Aug 04 05 12:35 pm Link

Model

Jacqui

Cincinnati, Ohio, US

A lot of models have stats listed, that can not be correct. Their weights and measurements do not add up to their height.

I have made the exact same observation about weight and measurements, specifically, although I am aware that weight is basically meaningless if the measurements are correct (after all, size is all that matters when considering clothing).

But yeah, I've noticed the same trend. The question (for me) is that if you're going to be honest (or almost honest) about measurements anyway, what's the point in lying about your weight? Measurements give a better idea of your real size, so wouldn't it logically make more sense to lie about your measurements if you want to seem smaller? tongue

Aug 04 05 12:47 pm Link

Model

pamela mars

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

i am very honest.
sometimes i don't update right away.
as a female certain things cause temporary weight gain-you don't have to be too imaginative to figure out what i'm refering to.

Aug 04 05 12:52 pm Link

Photographer

Star

Los Angeles, California, US

In this age of digital cameras, if you book paying gigs with transportation and all, why not ask for the models to send an image of themselves holding the newspaper, it works in kidnappings?

as well as other images of course...

Aug 04 05 12:55 pm Link

Model

Juliette

Salem, Oregon, US

I keep my measurements and other stats on my profile up to date.  They are as accurate as possible (with the exception of weight - I'm not about to change that on a daily basis!) I have been told by other models and photographers that they thought I stretched the truth on my information, as my pictures made me appear much taller than my 5'1"/90-something lb frame actually is. 

Aug 04 05 12:59 pm Link

Model

Barbray

Atlanta, Georgia, US

A lot of models have stats listed, that can not be correct. Their weights and measurements do not add up to their height.  Also I have watched one Tennessee model's OMP page for over two years, and she has stayed twenty nine, but looks thirty seven

One of my former models has updated her stats, and has dropped her age by two or more years. I know because I have a photo copy of her drivers license on file.  I will not name any  names, but I am just wondering how many are being honest.

I do not see the point in lying about your age or measurements.
Any SEASONED photographer, designer, wardrobe, stylist, and MUA can tell if you are lying with one look. I am measured often, and when I had strep, and was on antibiotics I put on 10 pounds, and as much as I hated to...I changed my stats to reflect the weight gain and the changes in my measurements.

But you can BET the minute I got back down to 117-120, I changed my stats to reflect it!

I have had photographers meet me the first time and ask to see my driver's license because they did not believe I was really my stated age at the time...but I REALLY am 21.

smile

Mollie

Aug 04 05 01:25 pm Link