Forums > Photography Talk > Photography school

Photographer

Robert_Darabos

Saginaw, Michigan, US

Does anyone know of any really good photography colleges?
I only kow of The Academy of Arts in San Francisco. :-|
I use to know a ton of them but have forgotten the names since then.

Any suggestions as to which photography college would be a good choice?
Thanks.

Aug 05 05 05:04 pm Link

Photographer

The Art of CIP

Long Beach, California, US

Life...

Aug 05 05 05:07 pm Link

Photographer

Richard Rosales

South El Monte, California, US

the only school that i am aware are in the California area
Art Center of Design College and otis college

Aug 05 05 05:11 pm Link

Photographer

C R Photography

Pleasanton, California, US

As for a specific “School of Photographyâ€? The Academy of Art is nice if you are wealthy.

If not try random photography classes provided by photographers in various parts of the country.

Most come packed with impressive credentials and love to sing the song “It’s all about me, it’s all about meâ€?. But if you look for experts in your specialty, you’ll get lucky.

Or you could go to the same school me and most of the MM photographers went to: “The Academy of Working Your Ass Off to Afford a Decent Camera then Learning by Your Mistakesâ€? or AWYAOADCLYM.com     

Aug 05 05 05:18 pm Link

Photographer

Brian Diaz

Danbury, Connecticut, US

Posted by C R Photography: 
Or you could go to the same school me and most of the MM photographers went to: “The Academy of Working Your Ass Off to Afford a Decent Camera then Learning by Your Mistakesâ€? or AWYAOADCLYM.com     

Is it accredited?

Aug 05 05 05:50 pm Link

Photographer

Utopium Photography

Bethesda, Maryland, US

Rochester Institute Of Technology

Aug 05 05 08:51 pm Link

Photographer

Snorkel

New York, New York, US

School of Visual Arts in New York - I go there so if you have questions you can e-mail me.

I looked in Rochester too - but it was all technical.

I like SVA because there is alot about concept and thinking about what your photographing. Technical is tought - but not as strong as RIT. But concept is stronger at SVA.

Cool part - You get teachers from all over. Alot are part time working professionals. I have teachers from Pratt, Columbia, ICP, etc. I have photo teachers who are workering photographers in both commercial and fine art. Eric Weeks, Sarah Friedman, Bill Brant, the list goes on an on.

Highly recommend it. Like RIT though its expensive.

Your also in New York - which is the Mecca of the photo industry. SVA is located 15 minute walk/bus (yes - same time) from Chelsea and all the big photo agencies and magazines.

I have met people from many different schools. SVA gives you alot of creative freedom - one thing I hear about many places (mostly smaller) you end up having to conform. Sometimes in what you shoot - other times in what you materials you have use. - Like I said these are things I have heard talking to people at certain schools - not all of them.

Aug 06 05 11:07 am Link

Photographer

Robert_Darabos

Saginaw, Michigan, US

Has anyone ever looked into Brooks Institute of Photography in San Francisco?
I believe its psychotically expensive, but i wasn't sure about the quality.

Aug 06 05 01:59 pm Link

Model

angelavasquez

Murrieta, California, US

AIU?

Aug 06 05 02:06 pm Link

Photographer

Robert_Darabos

Saginaw, Michigan, US

whats AIU?

Aug 06 05 02:43 pm Link

Photographer

Freelancer

Kingwood, West Virginia, US

NYIP: Ney York Institute of Photography. Established in 1911 I believe. And went to mail correspondence in 1975 for economic reasons. It cost between $750-$1,000 in 1996. I don't know how much it is now. It covered Fashion, glamour, portrait, photo journalism, landscape/nature, lighting & even how to market your work. It also covered film processing when I took the classes. You get workbooks, video tapes,  a journal to write down your technical data for your photo assignments, A light umbrella, & a manequin head to practice lighting. Just be careful. I remember one photo assignment from a workbook was to take several under-exposed images of a lighted store front to look like it was night time & so you could see the activity inside. I was suppose to take several & submit the best one. Which I did. But my instructor gave it a bad review for being under exposed. DUH!! That was the assignment. http://www.nyip.com

Aug 08 05 08:44 am Link

Photographer

Snorkel

New York, New York, US

You dont get a degree or a college experiences from NYIP

Aug 08 05 10:15 am Link

Photographer

Freelancer

Posted by MojoHamuki: 
You dont get a degree or a college experiences from NYIP

You do get a diploma. I'm looking at mine right now.

Aug 08 05 12:30 pm Link

Photographer

Low Tek Photography

Atlanta, Georgia, US

College Degree & Experience > Mail Order Diploma

Aug 08 05 01:30 pm Link

Photographer

Weldphoto

Charleston, South Carolina, US

Posted by Robert_Vega: 
Has anyone ever looked into Brooks Institute of Photography in San Francisco?
I believe its psychotically expensive, but i wasn't sure about the quality.

Brooks is in Santa Barbara and has been around since the 30's I think. My uncle taught there in the 50's. Its very expensive and very good. I understand its strong on the technical aspects of photography. It is considered one of the top in the country. Degree granting.

Rhode Island School of Design used to be good as I remember.

NYI - worked there years ago. Its not very exciting and living in NYC is off the charts expensive. Not degree granting.

Aug 08 05 01:43 pm Link

Photographer

Star

Los Angeles, California, US

Brooks has become very corporate recently and added many many students, I have been told by several working commercial photographers that it isn't the same top notch program it once was.
I start the art institute this fall, they just revamped their program so we will see how it goes,

Star

Aug 08 05 02:42 pm Link

Photographer

Snorkel

New York, New York, US

NYIP is not an accredited Bachelor Degree Program is what I mean.

Aug 08 05 03:43 pm Link

Photographer

Freelancer

Posted by MojoHamuki: 
NYIP is not an accredited Bachelor Degree Program is what I mean.

Oh ok. I understand now. But everything I found in 1996 said NYI was the oldest & most respected photography school in America. I'm sure it's better than anything else available in WV.

Aug 08 05 05:03 pm Link

Photographer

Freelancer

Posted by Low Tek: 
College Degree & Experience > Mail Order Diploma

Mail order only because they closed the campus in 1975 for economic reasons. And just because a class is mail order doesn't necessarily mean it's no good. My nephew finished high school through a mail order school & now he's a systems analyst for a university in Texas.

Aug 08 05 05:06 pm Link

Photographer

Mad Mike Photog

West Babylon, New York, US

RIT or FIT......

Those ARE the best as far as schools go.

Better knowledge is the "School of hard KNOCKS"

Mike
PPA Studios
LI, NY

Aug 08 05 05:10 pm Link

Photographer

Snorkel

New York, New York, US

Mad Mike - Everyone is gonna to have their opinion. I think its best to state more reasons as to why.

Aug 08 05 06:19 pm Link

Photographer

Freelancer

Freelancer wrote:
NYIP: Ney York Institute of Photography. Established in 1911 I believe. And went to mail correspondence in 1975 for economic reasons. It cost between $750-$1,000 in 1996. I don't know how much it is now. It covered Fashion, glamour, portrait, photo journalism, landscape/nature, lighting & even how to market your work. It also covered film processing when I took the classes. You get workbooks, video tapes,  a journal to write down your technical data for your photo assignments, A light umbrella, & a manequin head to practice lighting. Just be careful. I remember one photo assignment from a workbook was to take several under-exposed images of a lighted store front to look like it was night time & so you could see the activity inside. I was suppose to take several & submit the best one. Which I did. But my instructor gave it a bad review for being under exposed. DUH!! That was the assignment. http://www.nyip.com

I forgot that it also covers wedding photography.

Aug 09 05 03:25 pm Link