Forums > Critique > Fun and Games > Freelance models, can you convince me to hire you?

Photographer

JA Sanchez

Miami, Florida, US

This is not for agency girls, or mainstream models. I already know that you know that clients, for the most part, are going to be the ones hiring you, not photographers. Therefore, this exercise is simply for freelance girls.

If you are a freelance model, post here and I will look through your portfolio and read your profile in it's entirety. From there, I will offer insight on your sales pitch, and tell you how likely or unlikely I would be to hire you, if I were in the market for a girl with your look.

Feb 14 11 09:06 pm Link

Model

Alanna Jalkotzy

Calgary, Alberta, Canada

Hi there,
I would really appreciate your opinion!
Thanks!
~A

Feb 14 11 09:08 pm Link

Photographer

JA Sanchez

Miami, Florida, US

Alanna Jalkotzy wrote:
Hi there,
I would really appreciate your opinion!
Thanks!
~A

I do not know if you are with an agency or not, but you are what I would consider a mainstream girl. In other words, your look is suitable for fashion or commercial work. I do not consider you a freelance model. Sign with an agency. Most of your clients will come through them.

Feb 14 11 09:10 pm Link

Model

Alanna Jalkotzy

Calgary, Alberta, Canada

SouthFLpix wrote:

I do not know if you are with an agency or not, but you are what I would consider a mainstream girl. In other words, your look is for fashion or commercial work. I do not consider you a freelance model. Sign with an agency. Most of your clients will come through them.

I am not an agency girl, at the moment, but I understand what you mean.
Thanks smile
~A

Feb 14 11 09:11 pm Link

Model

Audre Lizabeth

Portland, Oregon, US

I would appreciate the feedback if you have time smile

Feb 14 11 09:15 pm Link

Model

Vita Bella

Houston, Texas, US

How  about me?
Thank you!

Feb 14 11 09:15 pm Link

Model

Rebecca E Model

Reno, Nevada, US

I am interested in your input.

Thank you

Feb 14 11 09:17 pm Link

Model

Laureate

Chicago, Illinois, US

I hope so smile

Feb 14 11 09:20 pm Link

Photographer

JA Sanchez

Miami, Florida, US

Audre Lizabeth wrote:
I would appreciate the feedback if you have time smile

I think you should sign with a commercial agency. You have a nice commercial type smile, and I happen to know that redheads are more rare and therefore sought after. Your lack of tattoos and scars are also very desirable traits for commercial work.

Build a commercial port and sign with an agency. Don't waste time trying to get photographers to hire you on the freelance market for $40 an hour when you can potentially make $5,000 and $10,000 per day working for commercial clients like JC Penny or Verizon.

Feb 14 11 09:20 pm Link

Photographer

JA Sanchez

Miami, Florida, US

Vita Bella wrote:
How  about me?
Thank you!

I don't think you should be working in the freelance market. I take it you used to model fashion as a young girl, and moved on since then? The freelance market is not right for you unless you make some sweeping changes and even then, why do all that when you can just get some fitness and commercial shots done and sign with a mainstream commercial agency? Seek mainstream work. The freelance market will be a struggle.

Feb 14 11 09:25 pm Link

Photographer

JA Sanchez

Miami, Florida, US

Rebecca Evans wrote:
I am interested in your input.

Thank you

You can make it as a commercial model, you don't need freelance work. If you want to trade for photos and mess around for fun, that's fine, but your ultimate goal should be to sign with a commercial agency.

Feb 14 11 09:28 pm Link

Model

Audre Lizabeth

Portland, Oregon, US

Thank you for the feedback, I really appreciate it!
Quick question, at 24 will an agency even be interested, or am I in all honestly past my "prime"?

Feb 14 11 09:30 pm Link

Model

Jennifer R Rose

Akron, Ohio, US

Go ahead!

Feb 14 11 09:34 pm Link

Photographer

JA Sanchez

Miami, Florida, US

Laureate wrote:
I hope so smile

Your portfolio makes me want to hire you, but you would probably benefit from some work on your written profile. I suggest making it a bit shorter, friendlier, and a tad more energetic.

65% chance of being hired.

Feb 14 11 09:35 pm Link

Photographer

JA Sanchez

Miami, Florida, US

Audre Lizabeth wrote:
Thank you for the feedback, I really appreciate it!
Quick question, at 24 will an agency even be interested, or am I in all honestly past my "prime"?

Good question. A fashion agency would not be interested, but a commercial agency would. Commercial work is not fashion work. Age is not a limitation. Post a question on the model forum about how to get started as a commercial model and I'm sure some people will chime in and point you in the right direction.

Feb 14 11 09:36 pm Link

Model

Laureate

Chicago, Illinois, US

SouthFLpix wrote:

Your portfolio makes me want to hire you, but you would probably benefit from some work on your written profile. I suggest making it a bit shorter, friendlier, and a tad more energetic.

65% chance of being hired.

Thank you! smile I will definitely clean up my profile. I also ADORE Gia. I'm traveling a lot this summer and may be heading to Florida. Hit me up!

Feb 14 11 09:37 pm Link

Model

Audre Lizabeth

Portland, Oregon, US

Thank you again, very helpful information!

Feb 14 11 09:38 pm Link

Model

Rebecca E Model

Reno, Nevada, US

SouthFLpix wrote:

You can make it as a commercial model, you don't need freelance work. If you want to trade for photos and mess around for fun, that's fine, but your ultimate goal should be to sign with a commercial agency.

Thank you for the feedback.

Feb 14 11 09:38 pm Link

Photographer

JA Sanchez

Miami, Florida, US

Jennifer R Rose wrote:
Go ahead!

Your look is very good for the freelance market. You are youthful looking and of course being open to shooting nudes helps.

Your profile is very businesslike, but not very friendly. Also stating that you want to work with full teams is probably going to scare off a lot of newbie photographers ( which will make up a large percentage of your client base ), and others will think that is sort of a 'diva' statement for a freelance model to make.

Finally, stating that you prefer to be paid because you want to buy a telephoto lens is not a good idea. Why not? Well because it's all about you. When people hire you they want to know what you will do for *them*, not what they will do for you. They are the ones that want to benefit. After all, they are the ones paying you, right?

65% chance of being hired. Great look, but I think your written profile is going to be really intimidating to a lot of people. So much so, that I think you would do better with no profile at all, other then a travel notice and some basic information.

Feb 14 11 09:42 pm Link

Model

Jennifer R Rose

Akron, Ohio, US

SouthFLpix wrote:
Your look is very good for the freelance market. You are youthful looking and of course being open to shooting nudes helps.

Your profile is very businesslike, but not very friendly. Also stating that you want to work with full teams is probably going to scare off a lot of newbie photographers ( which will make up a large percentage of your client base ), and others will think that is sort of a 'diva' statement for a freelance model to make.

Finally, stating that you prefer to be paid because you want to buy a telephoto lens is not a good idea. Why not? Well because it's all about you. When people hire you they want to know what you will do for *them*, not what they will do for you. They are the ones that want to benefit. After all, they are the ones paying you, right?

65% chance of being hired. Great look, but I think your written profile is going to be really intimidating to a lot of people. So much so, that I think you would do better with no profile at all, other then a travel notice and some basic information.

Thank you for the feedback. I made a few changes to my profile now and will do more tomorrow to try and make it more friendly.

Feb 14 11 09:54 pm Link

Photographer

JA Sanchez

Miami, Florida, US

Jennifer R Rose wrote:
Thank you for the feedback. I made a few changes to my profile now and will do more tomorrow to try and make it more friendly.

No problem. What telephoto lens did you have your eye on? For wildlife, I would think something in the 400mm range would be good.

Feb 14 11 09:59 pm Link

Model

Jennifer R Rose

Akron, Ohio, US

SouthFLpix wrote:
No problem. What telephoto lens did you have your eye on? For wildlife, I would think something in the 400mm range would be good.

I'm looking for something that hits the 300-400mm range. Not looking at a specific lens just yet. Seeing as I just bought my camera I have little spare money left for a lens...So I have some time to figure it out.

Feb 14 11 10:04 pm Link

Model

LEYoung

Middletown, Connecticut, US

Why not? I'll bite.

Feb 14 11 10:05 pm Link

Model

google

Fredericksburg, Virginia, US

Would you please give you your thoughts on my port and profile description?
Thanks. I appreciate constructive critiques

Feb 14 11 10:08 pm Link

Photographer

JA Sanchez

Miami, Florida, US

LEYoung wrote:
Why not? I'll bite.

At this point you are a good candidate for trade work. Need to build the portfolio, but before you do so, do some research on the type of photos that freelance models need in order to get hired. For example, don't try to add fashion photos to your portfolio, that would be a waste of energy since you are unlikely to work in that genre.

Feb 14 11 10:10 pm Link

Photographer

JA Sanchez

Miami, Florida, US

Kymistry wrote:
Would you please give you your thoughts on my port and profile description?
Thanks. I appreciate constructive critiques

Portfolio needs to be trimmed. There are some photos that are not flattering to your look because of retouching and lighting issues. Narrow it done to only the most flattering photos. Better to have fewer photos, then to have photos that convince people *not* to hire you.

I like your written profile. You do give off the impression that you are a very friendly person, and artistically inclined. I like the fact that you mention having a great personality. It's not perfect, but it's a good start.

I'd hire you as a promotional model. You convinced me that you have a very friendly personality and would be great around people.

As far as being hired for portfolio tests by photographers, I think you may have some trouble with that simply because the freelance market generally demands that a model be very open to showing skin, which I'm sure you probably figured out on your own. In this regard, I think you will mostly be offered trades.

Feb 14 11 10:16 pm Link

Model

LEYoung

Middletown, Connecticut, US

What genre would you suggest?

Feb 14 11 10:31 pm Link

Model

V Marie

Denver, Colorado, US

I've always lacked in this department I think, but would appreciate your input.

Feb 14 11 10:33 pm Link

Photographer

JA Sanchez

Miami, Florida, US

LEYoung wrote:
What genre would you suggest?

Freelance models typically do glamour work, fine art, fetish, erotica, and promotional modeling.

Feb 14 11 10:35 pm Link

Model

Rae Johnston

Sydney, New South Wales, Australia

Interested to know what you think smile

Feb 14 11 10:51 pm Link

Photographer

JA Sanchez

Miami, Florida, US

Veronica Marie wrote:
I've always lacked in this department I think, but would appreciate your input.

You actually have an exceptionally strong look for freelance work.

As for your written profile, I have no doubt that it is heartfelt, but I am not a believer in the 'pity me' style of advertising (even if that was not your intent). Do you know those commercials where they show children starving and they ask you to sponsor them? You have the modeling equivalent of that as a profile.

Sure, it may be honest, but I believe positive energy is going to sell you a lot more effectively then telling people about your hardships. It's not that people don't care, far from it, it's that we all have hardships of our own to deal with.

When hiring a model, people don't generally want to be made to feel sad. They generally want a girl with a very 'happy go lucky' type of personality that is going to be very fun to work with. Even if you may not feel that way all the time, sometimes you have to sort of force yourself to smile and fake it and press on.

I'd hire you based on your portfolio, but I would rethink your written profile. I think perhaps a blog or some other venue is a better platform to tell 'your story'. That being said, I think you do very good work, so I want to compliment you on that.

Feb 14 11 10:52 pm Link

Model

Miss_Jess

Perth, Western Australia, Australia

Would love your opinion smile

Feb 14 11 10:57 pm Link

Model

Miss_Jess

Feb 14 11 10:57 pm Link

Photographer

JA Sanchez

Miami, Florida, US

Rae Johnston wrote:
Interested to know what you think smile

You are not naked enough in portfolio. That sounds funny, but it's not meant to. You shoot nudes, which are a huge selling point in the freelance market, so make sure you have at least 3 good photos where the photographers can clearly see what you look like in the nude. This is not the place for artistry, it's basically a meat market. Just trying to be brutally honest here.

As for your written profile..........write something that makes me smile. Make me laugh. Make me happy. Don't just give me a page full of facts. That's a biography, not an advertisement.

I really want to hire you because I think you have a great look for freelance work, but I think you are sort of working against yourself. With a few tweaks, I think you can be extremely popular, and I want you to be popular.

Feb 14 11 11:04 pm Link

Model

Chantel chantel

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia

id love to know ur opinion about me.

but first off. please also see my other website because thats where i have all my pohotoshoots on. i cant put more then 10 on modelmayhem so it isnt that judjeable.

Thanks!

Feb 14 11 11:16 pm Link

Photographer

JA Sanchez

Miami, Florida, US

Miss_Jess wrote:

I'd hire you as a promo model. You have a great look and figure for it.

I think a lot of people are going to try to convince you to shoot nudes because you really do have a great figure for it and it would basically become a 'money printing machine' for you if you ever decided to do it.

Otherwise, I think you will mostly get offers for swimsuit work, lingerie work, and other glamour type work because that is what your look is a good fit for. Most of your work will probably be on a trade basis. That's just because the market typically demands that girls be comfortable with showing skin for paying work (in the freelance market, at least).

Feb 14 11 11:18 pm Link

Photographer

JA Sanchez

Miami, Florida, US

chantelle nicoli wrote:
id love to know ur opinion about me.

but first off. please also see my other website because thats where i have all my pohotoshoots on. i cant put more then 10 on modelmayhem so it isnt that judjeable.

Thanks!

For the time being, you are a good candidate for trade work. That may change for you later on, but for now it's probably a good idea to gain some experience in front of the camera until are able to pursue more glamour oriented work, for which your look is pretty well suited for.

Feb 14 11 11:26 pm Link

Model

Miss_Jess

SouthFLpix wrote:

I'd hire you as a promo model. You have a great look and figure for it.

I think a lot of people are going to try to convince you to shoot nudes because you really do have a great figure for it and it would basically become a 'money printing machine' for you if you ever decided to do it.

Otherwise, I think you will mostly get offers for swimsuit work, lingerie work, and other glamour type work because that is what your look is a good fit for. Most of your work will probably be on a trade basis. That's just because the market typically demands that girls be comfortable with showing skin for paying work (in the freelance market, at least).

Yeah thats what I thought, I dotn really need the money so nude will not be a option. I really appreciate your advise. smile

Feb 15 11 12:28 am Link

Model

Baeli

Truro, England, United Kingdom

Me? smile

Feb 15 11 03:29 pm Link

Model

AlexaMoore

Arlington, Texas, US

What do you think about me?

Feb 15 11 09:18 pm Link