Forums > Critique > Fun and Games > Freelance models, can you convince me to hire you?

Model

vickie-lynn

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

I'd like to know!

Feb 28 11 06:46 pm Link

Photographer

JA Sanchez

Miami, Florida, US

vickie-lynn wrote:
I'd like to know!

I recommend more testing (TFP) for you at this time.

Feb 28 11 07:19 pm Link

Model

Bronwyn Kellie

Johnstown, Colorado, US

I've been freelance modeling for the last two years. I would love to get your feedback - especially on my profile. I feel like it definitely needs some work.

Feb 28 11 08:21 pm Link

Photographer

JA Sanchez

Miami, Florida, US

Bronwyn Kellie wrote:
I've been freelance modeling for the last two years. I would love to get your feedback - especially on my profile. I feel like it definitely needs some work.

Portfolio is kind of all over the place. You have some work that looks fashion centric, a commercial headshot, a 'foot fetish' type shot, a shot of you with vampire teeth, lingerie photos..............basically it runs the whole gamut.

For freelance work, your portfolio mostly needs photos that do a good job of showing off your figure and face and that make you look really fun or sexy. If you want to also do mainstream work (and you could), then you should make another profile for that. The two (freelance and mainstream) generally do not mix well at all.

Your written profile is short and to the point, which is good. I do not like the testimonial you have up. It does not sound like it was written by someone that is impartial. Rather, to me it reads like it was written by someone with a crush on you, who just decided to pour some over the top lavish praise. In other words, it does not seem authentic (to me).

Feb 28 11 08:44 pm Link

Model

Bronwyn Kellie

Johnstown, Colorado, US

SouthFLpix wrote:
Portfolio is kind of all over the place. You have some work that looks fashion centric, a commercial headshot, a 'foot fetish' type shot, a shot of you with vampire teeth, lingerie photos..............basically it runs the whole gamut.

For freelance work, your portfolio mostly needs photos that are do a good job of showing off your figure and face and that make you look really fun or sexy. If you want to also do mainstream work (and you could), then you should make another profile for that. The two (freelance and mainstream) generally do not mix well at all.

Thank you! Would you recommend two profiles? One for mainstream and one for freelance?

Feb 28 11 08:48 pm Link

Model

Artemis Bare

San Diego, California, US

SouthFLpix wrote:

Yes. Good portfolio. Great attitude.

You're a sweetheart

Feb 28 11 08:49 pm Link

Photographer

JA Sanchez

Miami, Florida, US

Bronwyn Kellie wrote:
Thank you! Would you recommend two profiles? One for mainstream and one for freelance?

Yes I would. Forget fashion entirely, your look is (probably) not suitable. Shoot commercial work and apply to a commercial agency when your portfolio is strong enough. You have one really good headshot right now, which is a great start.

Feb 28 11 08:52 pm Link

Model

Bronwyn Kellie

Johnstown, Colorado, US

SouthFLpix wrote:
Yes I would. Forget fashion entirely, your look is (probably) not suitable. Shoot commercial work and apply to a commercial agency when your portfolio is strong enough. You have one really good headshot right now, which is a great start.

Thank you! I really appreciate the advice.

Feb 28 11 09:00 pm Link

Model

Faith EnFire

Milwaukee, Wisconsin, US

SouthFLpix wrote:

I advise more nakedness. 3 photos that don't mess around artistically, they just show you in the flesh, stark naked with sort of a very comfortable or happy expression (nothing sexual). You need full frontal, one that shows 'booty', and I'll let you get creative with the last one.

Make a tweak to your written profile to make yourself seem a little more flirty. Not flirty  in the "I want to sleep with you" kind of way, but more like "I'd love to come hang out with you and take photos all day and it would be super fun." flirty.

I think with those two small changes, you would totally be someone that a lot of people would love to hire.

thank you for your thoughts

Mar 01 11 08:40 am Link

Model

Tamara Z

Houston, Texas, US

Curious...

Mar 01 11 11:54 am Link

Model

Lola Valentine

London, England, United Kingdom

I'm interested in what you think of me? x

Mar 01 11 12:02 pm Link

Model

Miranda Read-Wilson

Any feedback would be amazing thank you x

Mar 01 11 12:08 pm Link

Model

amaya x

An interesting exercise ... I'm intrigued.
So, give me your honest opinion.

Mar 01 11 12:10 pm Link

Model

Elisinor

Santa Rosa, California, US

I would love some constructive criticism. Thanks!

Mar 01 11 01:27 pm Link

Photographer

JA Sanchez

Miami, Florida, US

Tamara Z wrote:
Curious...

I recommend continuing to build your portfolio.

Mar 01 11 03:47 pm Link

Photographer

JA Sanchez

Miami, Florida, US

Lola Valentine wrote:
I'm interested in what you think of me? x

Based on your portfolio, yes.

I'm not terribly fond of your written profile, but since I'm in sort of a cheery mood today, I will leave it at that.

Mar 01 11 03:49 pm Link

Model

TarynEmilia

Coquitlam, British Columbia, Canada

This would be extremely helpful
Thanks for your time!

Mar 01 11 03:52 pm Link

Photographer

JA Sanchez

Miami, Florida, US

Miranda Read-Wilson wrote:
Any feedback would be amazing thank you x

Hmm, you seem like a sweet girl. Put some shots up that show your figure. I think you would make a good promo girl because you seem to have the personality for it.

Mar 01 11 03:54 pm Link

Photographer

JA Sanchez

Miami, Florida, US

amaya x wrote:
An interesting exercise ... I'm intrigued.
So, give me your honest opinion.

You do not have your profile flagged for nudity, but I see nudes in your portfolio. I'm sure you can see how this would send sort of a mixed message to a lot of people.

Mar 01 11 03:58 pm Link

Photographer

JA Sanchez

Miami, Florida, US

Alyssa Jayne wrote:
I would love some constructive criticism. Thanks!

You're young. Continue building your portfolio. Pin-up might be a good genre for you.

Mar 01 11 03:59 pm Link

Photographer

JA Sanchez

Miami, Florida, US

TarynEmilia wrote:
This would be extremely helpful
Thanks for your time!

You state that runway modeling is your passion, but I'm sure you know that runway work is typically done through an agency.

If you want to do some freelance work as well, add a few images with sex appeal.

Mar 01 11 04:02 pm Link

Model

Dovetail_Stormrider

Lansing, Michigan, US

Alright, my turn!

Mar 01 11 04:12 pm Link

Model

Josie Rosie

Oakland, California, US

I would really love to know. wink  Let me know if you're still going.

Mar 01 11 04:20 pm Link

Photographer

JA Sanchez

Miami, Florida, US

Dovetail_Stormrider wrote:
Alright, my turn!

Yes based on portfolio. Profile is very long.  Needs to be condensed.

Mar 01 11 04:33 pm Link

Photographer

JA Sanchez

Miami, Florida, US

Josie Rosie wrote:
I would really love to know. wink  Let me know if you're still going.

Yes.

Your profile is fine, but I'm going to nitpick because it touches on a personal pet peeve. You say your rates are 'reasonable'. Everyone says that and no one has a clue what reasonable is. Why does everyone use that same exact word? Why not say, "I'm super affordable! Or I'm way cheap! Or I will work with any budget!" .....why always 'reasonable'? Last girl that told me that wanted $350 an hour to pose in a bikini.

Not to pick on you personally, it's just that it sort of touched a nerve because it seems like every girl uses that same exact word to describe her rates. It almost feels like a copy-paste job. Like something maybe the first traveling model wrote, and it sort of got passed down as the 'how to bible', and now every freelance girl says the same thing.

Mar 01 11 04:37 pm Link

Model

M a r l e y D r u

Martinsburg, West Virginia, US

I would like to know if your still going.
Thanks!

Mar 02 11 10:46 am Link

Photographer

JA Sanchez

Miami, Florida, US

M a r l e y  D r u wrote:
I would like to know if your still going.
Thanks!

Need to continue testing for some better photos. Glamour would suit your look best.

Don't sit around and wait for people to contact you, find the photographers that shoot the type of photos you need and contact them directly.

Mar 02 11 11:54 am Link

Model

Melodie Mae

Tempe, Arizona, US

How about me? I know I need to build up my portfolio more but how? What do you think I specifically need to build up in my port.? What type of photos should I try and create? I am really trying to advance my skills.
Thanks so much!

Mar 02 11 04:20 pm Link

Photographer

JA Sanchez

Miami, Florida, US

Melodie Mae wrote:
How about me? I know I need to build up my portfolio more but how? What do you think I specifically need to build up in my port.? What type of photos should I try and create? I am really trying to advance my skills.
Thanks so much!

Easy question to answer. In the freelance market, if your goal is to get paid, you should built up in the following genres:

art nudes
glamour nudes
glamour (non-nude)
erotica

The more of these genres that you are willing to shoot, the greater your chances of getting hired. Of course, there is more to getting hired then a portfolio, namely marketing and getting your name out there, but having a great portfolio never hurts.

Mar 02 11 08:15 pm Link

Model

Annabella Kathryn

Brooklyn, New York, US

sure, this sounds great! thanks in advance

Mar 05 11 08:34 pm Link

Photographer

JA Sanchez

Miami, Florida, US

Annabella S wrote:
sure, this sounds great! thanks in advance

I would be doing a great disservice to you if I were to suggest that you do anything other then applying to agencies. You are young, and you have the look for it, so definitely go ahead and apply to agencies before you even consider messing around in the freelance market.

Mar 05 11 08:40 pm Link

Model

Annabella Kathryn

Brooklyn, New York, US

SouthFLpix wrote:

I would be doing a great disservice to you if I were to suggest that you do anything other then applying to agencies. You are young, and you have the look for it, so definitely go ahead and apply to agencies before you even consider messing around in the freelance market.

thanks so much! that is very encouraging smile by the way, i love your work!

Mar 05 11 09:10 pm Link

Model

l y n n e

Los Angeles, California, US

just added to my port recently. smile hit me!

Mar 05 11 10:03 pm Link

Model

ashleywagnerrr

Temecula, California, US

me? yikes

Mar 05 11 10:07 pm Link

Model

Brightonn

New Orleans, Louisiana, US

I'd like your opinion.  I have done open agency work.  My main concern is I started modeling at 24 professionally.

Mar 05 11 10:09 pm Link

Photographer

JA Sanchez

Miami, Florida, US

l y n n e wrote:
just added to my port recently. smile hit me!

For sure. Portfolio is looking good, and your profile is short and sweet.

Mar 05 11 10:10 pm Link

Photographer

JA Sanchez

Miami, Florida, US

ashleywagnerrr wrote:
me? yikes

The main thing I see is a girl that is in love with fashion, but the thing is that fashion work is booked through agencies, not on the freelance market. You would need to build a book more well suited for freelance work.

Mar 05 11 10:12 pm Link

Photographer

JA Sanchez

Miami, Florida, US

Brightonn wrote:
I'd like your opinion.  I have done open agency work.  My main concern is I started modeling at 24 professionally.

Age is only a concern for fashion work, all other types of modeling are more lenient with respect to age.

Agency and freelance modeling require entirely different approaches. For freelance work, I think you would need to test in order to acquire some photos with more sex appeal.

Mar 05 11 10:15 pm Link

Model

Kellynn P

Dallas, Texas, US

I'd love to know. Thanks wink

Mar 09 11 03:27 pm Link

Model

Heather Smythe

Sacramento, California, US

I'd love to know smile

Mar 09 11 08:07 pm Link