Forums > Model Colloquy > "Sexy face"

Model

Mychal Duran

Ashland, Oregon, US

If you are just starting, and want that face in your portfolio, see if a photographer you've shot with before and enjoy will shoot it. I always felt kind of ridiculous making the sexy face until one of my frequent photographer and good friends shot me in lingerie. We had a good time with it, laughing and such. Now that I have my own personal formula down I can shoot it with anyone, but it's a good way to start.

Mar 09 11 06:59 pm Link

Photographer

ThatLook Visual Media

Nashville, Tennessee, US

Deanna Lindsey wrote:
I need help!  I can't seem to pull off the sexy, open mouthed, slight squinty eyed face, a la ................

I have really round eyes so it just looks like I'm sleepy or bored.  I can, however, do the sexy smirk thing.  Any other ideas for "come hither" type looks for someone who doesn't have almond-shaped eyes?  Or makeup tips to make my eyes look wider?

Hopefully this belongs here.

Thanks in advance.  smile

Anytime I see a girl "try" to look sexy, it pretty much sucks.  It should come naturally.  Maybe with tons of practice and trial and error, you'll get it.  But I don't think there's a magic formula for it.  Slightly open mouth, squinty eyes, arched back are starting points but I think there's so much more to it.  I think the solution is unique to each model.

Mar 09 11 08:50 pm Link

Model

Deletedelete

Aniak, Alaska, US

it is all on the eyes! You have to think about sex to give that sexy face.

Mar 10 11 10:09 am Link

Photographer

Grit City Pinups

Seattle, Washington, US

Deanna Lindsey wrote:

Yeah, the "think of something sexy" and "pretend the camera is a hot guy" don't really work for me.  ;/

To me, the sexy face is more of a smirk, like "I have a secret". I watched a photographer one time tell the model to think of a time when she got away with something she shouldn't have been doing. BAM! Sexy face!

Mar 10 11 11:32 am Link

Photographer

TerrysPhotocountry

Rochester, New York, US

QuettaMarie wrote:

IA. As simple as it sounds this is very true. I had (and still slip up ) trouble with this and the best thing a photographer told me was 'turn yourself on'. You have to imagine the hottest guy in the world is right in front of you and you're putting on a show for him. Practice in front of a mirror, it seems absurd at first but after awhile it'll start to make sense.

HTH

Agree! Plus the photographer needs to get your eyes brighter!

Mar 10 11 11:43 am Link

Model

Kitty LaRose

Kansas City, Missouri, US

I can't do the traditional "sexy face" either. I usually just think of "Oh, is that so?" and go from there:

https://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/110302/17/4d6ef311d921d_m.jpg
https://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/110302/17/4d6ef355e882d_m.jpg

Mar 10 11 11:43 am Link

Model

Laurel Rae

Tucson, Arizona, US

Deanna Lindsey wrote:

That's a really great idea, the music part.  I should get a little CD player or something.  I have an MP3 player but no base w/ speakers.

YES! music totally lets me show way more emotion than crickets chirping and the camera clicking...

Mar 10 11 02:22 pm Link

Photographer

Mark

New York, New York, US

David-Thomas wrote:

Yeah, I actually tried telling a model to do that once. She did this:

https://www.techdigest.tv/orgasm-face-thumb-200x180.jpg

I go with what Sophistocles said, now.

looks like she is at the dentist's office

Mar 12 11 04:01 pm Link

Model

Tori Long

Louisville, Kentucky, US

David-Thomas wrote:

Yeah, I actually tried telling a model to do that once. She did this:

https://www.techdigest.tv/orgasm-face-thumb-200x180.jpg

I go with what Sophistocles said, now.

lololol

Mar 12 11 04:07 pm Link

Photographer

MichaelClements

Adelaide, South Australia, Australia

Optical Delusions wrote:
This may sounds odd, but try pressing the tip of your tongue firmly against the roof of your mouth.  I picked up this tip a ways back and found it actually does subtly but noticeably change the distribution of tension in your facial muscles.  Lets you relax your mouth without looking slack-jawed.  Weird but it works...

Wow. Just tried that and it works. Keeper.

Mar 12 11 04:12 pm Link

Photographer

Photography by Alex M

Houston, Texas, US

C A T H Y     wrote:
When I am shooting lingerie or bikini, I usually think 'sexy' ...sorta like seducing the camera...but don't think too much about it because then the photos will come out un-natural. Just go with the flow...wink

I think this is good advice

Mar 12 11 04:14 pm Link

Model

Maja Stina

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, US

Laureate wrote:

That doesn't work for me either. Sometimes I pretend that I am alone, actually.

I think I kinda do the same! I look at the camera like I look at my mirror when I'm practicing alone. Well, I try to. The camera ain't as pretty as my mirror! ;-) Just kidding. :p But it doesn't give me feedback. xD

Mar 12 11 04:17 pm Link

Model

Maja Stina

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, US

M Clements wrote:
Wow. Just tried that and it works. Keeper.

Hell nah! Makes me look like a frog! It pushes my muscles behind my chin out...Not a nice look for me!

Mar 12 11 04:19 pm Link

Model

Laureate

Chicago, Illinois, US

Maja Stina wrote:

I think I kinda do the same! I look at the camera like I look at my mirror when I'm practicing alone. Well, I try to. The camera ain't as pretty as my mirror! ;-) Just kidding. :p But it doesn't give me feedback. xD

Yay! I feel the sexiest when I am home alone in a big t-shirt and my glasses. I pretend that I am back there. Works every time!

Mar 12 11 04:23 pm Link

Photographer

MichaelClements

Adelaide, South Australia, Australia

Maja Stina wrote:
Hell nah! Makes me look like a frog! It pushes my muscles behind my chin out...Not a nice look for me!

Hahahaha oh well good to know it doesn't work for everyone. Maybe if a frog were to try it they'd look like Heidi Klum.

Mar 12 11 04:25 pm Link

Model

Marie Ford

Lakewood, Ohio, US

great thread

Mar 18 11 01:45 pm Link

Model

Faith EnFire

Milwaukee, Wisconsin, US

Hillary Devi R wrote:
I have really round eyes too.

For me, trying to look "evil" helps me achieve that alluring, sensual expression (while trying to look sexy makes me look derranged - go figure).

I always think of the evil female characters from Disney movies (like Malevolent) as my inspiration.

Worth a try I guess smile

on the similiar note. I think angry. I don't do sexy intentionally.
I call it sexy implied

Mar 18 11 02:22 pm Link

Photographer

Ivan Galaviz - Photo

Juárez, Chihuahua, Mexico

Use a fan to blow a little into the eyes, that will help to close them a little... the mouth will relax if you give yourself a couple of open-handed slaps, take it easy on the slapping but I sure works...

Also thinking about sex, focus on the area around the belly button, focusing lower doesn't get the best effect.

Mar 18 11 02:32 pm Link

Photographer

Black Swan

Prescott, Arizona, US

I guess it all depends on what is meant by a sexy face or look.  The descriptions include all kinds of looks. 

For me the hard part is getting away from the "projected" sexy look to something much more natural.  To do that requires trust between the model and the photographer that isn't at all easy to develop.  Not so much a matter of trying to look a certain way as it is letting go and being a certain way.  The models I work with all have their own methods for achieving that look but it is always a look that is them and not the look they would like to be...  Or it is them and not a false projection of what they think they want to look like.

Ask the people that are close to you what they think.  When are you the sexiest to them?  Then somehow be open enough to bring that look to the set...

Mar 18 11 02:40 pm Link

Photographer

Athena Sanctuary

Rockville, Maryland, US

Deanna Lindsey wrote:
I need help!  I can't seem to pull off the sexy, open mouthed, slight squinty eyed face, a la https://www.singingblogger.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/07/megan-fox-sexy-eyes-and-face-image-6792.jpg

I have really round eyes so it just looks like I'm sleepy or bored.  I can, however, do the sexy smirk thing.  Any other ideas for "come hither" type looks for someone who doesn't have almond-shaped eyes?  Or makeup tips to make my eyes look wider?

Hopefully this belongs here.

Thanks in advance.  smile

I always thought the 18 years old Jennifer Connelly will be on the "list"

https://www.jenniferconnelly.net/coppermine_gallery/albums/userpics/10001/normal_the_hot_spot7.jpg

Mar 18 11 11:36 pm Link

Model

Deanna Lindsey

Houston, Texas, US

Richard Dubois wrote:
I think you pull off a great sexy face here:

https://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/101130/13/4cf571373603e_m.jpg

It works best when you don't overthink it.

Thanks!  I definitely wasn't overthinking at that moment. 

And thanks to everyone else for the suggestions.  The movement of the lips during vowel sounds seems interesting so I'm going to check that out, as well as the different facial movements (squinting, tongue on top teeth, etc etc)

Sorry I haven't been around.  Work has been crazy and now I have the flu but I really do appreciate everyone's input and I'm so thankful that you guys picked up on what I was saying and gave me some specific ideas other than "imagine sexy things."

And I'm definitely going to try thinking about food, too.  I love food! haha big_smile

Mar 19 11 12:22 am Link

Model

Anna Adrielle

Antwerp, Antwerp, Belgium

I don't think you can just cope any kind of expression when you have a completely different facial structure. Look for your own kind of sexy smile.
no matter what you do, it will never look like the picture you showed in your original post.

I think you're doing a pretty good job here, your own kind of sexy
https://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/100119/00/4b557376cf0c0_m.jpg

another tip I do have is looking up people who have similar faces, and see what they do. when it comes to the eyes, I see a bit of anne hathaway going on there... she has a very chique, understated kind of sexy, with always a hint of sadness or madness

https://2.bp.blogspot.com/_OitPVueOrz8/SV9dmBoYqjI/AAAAAAAABFY/5wqzeIfTadg/s400/anne_hathaway_sexy_wallpapers_005-1024x768_hollywood%20desktop%20wallpapers.jpg
https://slash44.com/wp-content/uploads/anne-hathaway-corset-sexy-in-gq-march-2010-2.jpg
https://static.thehollywoodgossip.com/images/gallery/anne-hathaway-w_311x416.jpg

so just work with what you've got, and find your own type of sexy face, because copying someone elses probable won't work smile

Mar 19 11 01:33 am Link

Model

ciaogoodbyeadios

Los Angeles, California, US

It's always good to take a look at what the photographer is shooting.

That way when you try different facial expressions, you can know which ones look good and which ones don't..

HOWEVER, some of my "sexy faces" look great in some lighting.. but look AWFUL in other lightings... so it's very important to learn how your face looks in all types of light.  Lighting, styling, story, and all that... these are very important things that attribute to which kind of sexy look you should give.

Mar 19 11 02:18 am Link

Photographer

Neil Snape

Paris, Île-de-France, France

A great photographer needs only let the model be who they are or want to be. What makes you feel sexy is all that counts. Sleepy eyes can be sexy for those who like sleepy eyes. If you feel sexy because you are let express yourself then a great photographer will have you see through the camera past the photographer and hit home to the viewer.

That is a photographers job, when it works it comes off whatever the light, or anything else.

If you feel you want to play the part, then you do so with the right people.
A long time ago there was a film (I still have it) When Harry met Sally?? and there is a scene where she (Meg Ryan?) fakes a orgasm in a restaurant. Super funny, and a glimpse into what an actress can do. Good models can do the same.

Mar 19 11 02:33 am Link