Forums > Model Colloquy > Any Vegan or Vegetarian Models Here?

Model

Nym Faea

San Francisco, California, US

Pesce-baca-tarian! I realize you didn't ask for us, but we're out there too! Bacon and fish are great.

"I feel like you're not a real model until you cut something out of your diet" - joking around with my model bestie the other night.

Mar 11 13 12:59 am Link

Photographer

Eyesso

Orlando, Florida, US

Vegan with the exception of cheese on pizza.

Mar 11 13 09:19 pm Link

Model

DaniNikole

Sacramento, California, US

I was vegan for a few years then switched to vegetarian smile and I don't have any "exceptions"
Perhaps the only exception I had as a vegan was I would eat organic honey. I called it finders keepers wink

Mar 11 13 11:09 pm Link

Model

Miss Sucker Punch

Newark, New Jersey, US

Completely Vegan!!

Mar 11 13 11:19 pm Link

Model

Koryn

Boston, Massachusetts, US

Eyesso wrote:
Vegan with the exception of cheese on pizza.

if you make "exceptions," then you are not vegan. You are lacto-vegetarian.

There are no such things as "part-time" vegans. Veganism even extends to the clothes you wear, the way you shop, clean your house, and the products you use to wash your body.

Even people who eat turkey once per year, for Thanksgiving with family, are not vegetarians. It might only be once a year, but you are still eating it consciously (as opposed to an accident) so still an omnivore.

Mar 12 13 10:27 am Link

Model

JASONRAYONLINE

New York, New York, US

Koryn Locke wrote:

There are no such things as "part-time" vegans. Veganism even extends to the clothes you wear, the way you shop, clean your house, and the products you use to wash your body.

Even people who eat turkey once per year, for Thanksgiving with family, are not vegetarians. It might only be once a year, but you are still eating it consciously (as opposed to an accident) so still an omnivore.

I get what you're saying, but  I can appreciate a person saying that they strive towards being a vegan with the exception of cheese on pizza or that they fall to pressure to eat turkey once per year but otherwise follow a vegan or vegetarian diet.  I can appreciate that effort, the move towards consciousness behind it, the environmental impact of that move, and the vote for fewer unnecessary deaths that it makes via one's pocketbook even if you personally are more inclined to call them hypocrites.

Progress requires some latitude; we should simply ask that people be clear and responsible when they sometimes decide to act outside the bounds of a given ethical code.  This latitude allows us all to move forward as a whole rather than form a group so rigid that it can't appreciate others' work towards progress and thereby does little in the way of progress itself.

Latitude and hypocrisy aren't one in the same; we can afford the former while still repudiating the latter.

Mar 12 13 11:30 am Link

Model

Nym Faea

San Francisco, California, US

According to the all knowing Wikipedia, there is also a thing known as the Paris Exception. It's based on the idea that if you're in Paris, at a fine restaurant, you might break your rules.

I think everyone should be free to define their eating habits however they want. It is, after all, a personal choice about their lifestyle.

Mar 12 13 12:25 pm Link

Model

Koryn

NYMPH wrote:
According to the all knowing Wikipedia, there is also a thing known as the Paris Exception. It's based on the idea that if you're in Paris, at a fine restaurant, you might break your rules.

I think everyone should be free to define their eating habits however they want. It is, after all, a personal choice about their lifestyle.

When you hear people accuse you enough times, "Oh, I'm sure you're only vegan until you want a steak," and roll their eyes, after you have lived as a committed vegan for awhile (including hygiene and clothing choices), then you understand why people who aren't completely veg*n would be better-suited to calling themselves "flexitarian." This is why that term was invented. I don't care what people eat. It's none of my business, but individuals who call themselves vegan or vegetarian when they are actually not, make those of us who are devoted to our lifestyles seem well...flakey. There's nothing wrong with continuing to live as an omnivore, if that's what works for you. Go right ahead, but please be aware that lifestyle veggies really do deserve to be taken seriously, and should you ever decide to go full-veggie, you will probably come to understand where I'm coming from.

Mar 12 13 12:59 pm Link

Model

Onyx_More

Charlotte, North Carolina, US

Vegetarian smile

Mar 12 13 06:07 pm Link

Photographer

M Pandolfo Photography

Tampa, Florida, US

I guess it takes so much focus to be a Vegan that there's no time to read the date of the OP was 2011.

Mar 12 13 06:21 pm Link

Model

Alina Belle

Los Angeles, California, US

Vegetarian

Mar 12 13 11:44 pm Link

Model

S. Stark

vegetarian.  16 years.

90-95% vegan diet- cheese or ice cream as it calls to me.

Mar 14 13 04:09 pm Link

Photographer

Thomas Van Dyke

Washington, District of Columbia, US

Vegetarian...  really tried the vegan route but it was way too complex... if I was a nutritionist maybe I could have handled it... really great concept, very difficult to do the nutritional calculations...  I just don't eat animals... period...

Mar 14 13 05:31 pm Link

Model

Elle Astoria

South Bend, Indiana, US

I'm a vegetarian. I would like to be vegan, but for the time being I just make sure that my milk, eggs, and cheese is organic.  I also prefer that I know whoever raises the animals that produce the products. I live close to farmers who raise free-range egg chickens and cute happy cows. So I know my animal products don't come from factory farms. However, many people who live in large cities do not have the privilege of getting their eggs from local farmers, so I won't criticize you if you think it's too much of a hassle. 

My vegetarianism is not for vainly maintaining my weight, it's for ethical reasons.  I've been vegetarian since I was 6. It was a conscious decision that I made for myself. My father is vegetarian (he's Hindu) but my mother and siblings eat meat. I asked my dad one day why he didn't eat meat, and I decided that I agreed with him on the basis of vegetarianism (I am also now Hindu like my father, but since I'm not from India I just call myself religiously eclectic).  I have upheld that decision ever since.

I wouldn't want to force anyone to be vegetarian, I won't throw fake blood on people who cook meat or anything like that. It's merely my personal choice that I hope you can respect, just as I respect you. I don't like it when people shove hot dogs in my face as if it's supposed to tempt me, so I don't wave signs in their faces saying "Meat is Murder!" That doesn't mean that I wouldn't like to, but I try to be respectful so that I don't brand vegetarians as annoying.

Mar 14 13 08:34 pm Link

Model

DaniNikole

Sacramento, California, US

Koryn Locke wrote:

When you hear people accuse you enough times, "Oh, I'm sure you're only vegan until you want a steak," and roll their eyes, after you have lived as a committed vegan for awhile (including hygiene and clothing choices), then you understand why people who aren't completely veg*n would be better-suited to calling themselves "flexitarian." This is why that term was invented. I don't care what people eat. It's none of my business, but individuals who call themselves vegan or vegetarian when they are actually not, make those of us who are devoted to our lifestyles seem well...flakey. There's nothing wrong with continuing to live as an omnivore, if that's what works for you. Go right ahead, but please be aware that lifestyle veggies really do deserve to be taken seriously, and should you ever decide to go full-veggie, you will probably come to understand where I'm coming from.

Lol for years I was a vegan. Vegan make up, vegan friendly clothing, etc. never would I get upset if someone said something about "oh but I bet you cave when you drive by a Taco Bell" lol
It's a personal choice, not something to flaunt

Mar 14 13 10:18 pm Link

Photographer

Shy L

Burlington, Vermont, US

Dani Nikole Feist wrote:
Lol for years I was a vegan. Vegan make up, vegan friendly clothing, etc. never would I get upset if someone said something about "oh but I bet you cave when you drive by a Taco Bell" lol
It's a personal choice, not something to flaunt

I do cave when I go by Taco Bell, and get a 7 layer burrito with no sour cream & no cheese.  It's been months since I've seen a Taco Bell sad

Mar 15 13 06:13 pm Link

Model

J Jessica

Coconut Creek, Florida, US

I'm vegetarian.
smile

Mar 15 13 06:20 pm Link

Model

Alexey VS

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

No reason to be a vegan at all! I am a vegetarian because I don't want to sacrifice a sentient being without an utmost purpose. Which means that if I have to take an animal's life to survive, I will. And with deep sense of gratitude, because nothing wrong with living in harmony with the world and taking what you need from others, as long as you give a greater value to the world in return :-)

Mar 16 13 06:56 am Link

Model

The Grace Gabbana

Santa Rosa, California, US

Peskatarian.

Mar 16 13 07:04 am Link

Model

Chyna N

Houston, Texas, US

I wish I was vegan, but I like bacon too much.

Mar 16 13 08:14 am Link

Model

Jeslynmara

Abee, Alberta, Canada

I'm getting into 80-10-10. It's Awesome!

Mar 20 13 01:06 pm Link

Model

Koryn

Jessica Sodenkamp wrote:
I'm getting into 80-10-10. It's Awesome!

I enjoyed the food on 80-10-10, but I noticed a pretty obvious decrease in my muscle recovery rate after hard workouts. The soreness was more intense and lasted longer.

Mar 21 13 08:11 am Link

Model

SparkySparkz

Hilversum, Noord-Holland, Netherlands

I'm a vegetarian as well! Going to slowly transition to vegan soon. smile

Mar 21 13 08:37 am Link

Photographer

Hjermitslev photography

Århus, Midtjylland, Denmark

I'm vegan, and I will never work with fur and leather in photoshoots etc.

Mar 21 13 09:25 am Link

Model

Destiny Carlisle

Belfast, Northern Ireland, United Kingdom

Veggie here smile Glad to hear there are so many others.

Mar 25 13 09:36 am Link

Model

Rachel in GR

Grand Rapids, Michigan, US

I'm raw-curious... and by that, I mean that, on a daily basis, I eat anywhere from 50-100% raw. Yes, I know that's an outrageous difference in percentage, but I'm working on it. When I'm not eating raw, the only meat product I'll eat is wild-caught salmon.

What I like about the raw community is that the people tend to be much less judgmental than vegans and vegetarians. When I was vegetarian, no matter what I cut out of my diet, I was never "good enough." Ridiculous.

Also, just as a protective measure: Apparently there's been a lot of mud-slinging on this thread. Don't bother flaming me, as I'm not going to see it (not coming back to the thread) and don't care what you think anyway.

smile

Mar 29 13 10:37 am Link

Model

SHAYNA ALEXIS

Veggie, here!

Mar 29 13 10:42 am Link

Model

Alvina Torres

Virginia Beach, Virginia, US

Vegan, rawfoodist, gluten free

Mar 31 13 08:00 am Link

Photographer

Eyesso

Orlando, Florida, US

Koryn Locke wrote:

OK....it's not a fad for me.  I was raised as a vegetarian and have been mostly vegan.  We are ALL 'mostly vegan' anyway...aren't we?   Our society doesn't afford us the ability to be "fully" vegan.  We either pursue it for health reasons or guilt reasons.   I'm into it for the health reasons....cause even though I love the little animals, I recognize that I cannot escape the meat industry's reach. 

https://simplepimple.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/03/Products-Made-From-Cattle1.jpg

Mar 31 13 09:19 am Link

Photographer

Eyesso

Orlando, Florida, US

I've been photographing a lot with FILM lately.....dang it!   Sorry cows....

Mar 31 13 09:20 am Link

Photographer

Eyesso

Orlando, Florida, US

Here are some features of a....

REAL VEGAN

NO CLOTHES, ever.....because the development of textiles utilizes cattle byproducts.  But further, the industry as a whole is supported by the large companies that profit off of animal cruelty.

NO CAR....tires and asphalt uses animal products as a binding agent.  The glue, plastics and fabrics that hold a car together are made with animal products. 

NO PRODUCTS..... at least none that ever use plastic, since plastic production depends on the use of animal products. 

NOT AMERICAN.....since July 4th fireworks use animal products and so do the big bombs we drop on human animals overseas. 

NO PETS.....since pet food is other animals and captivity, even if pleasant, is still cruel.

NOT A MODEL (or photographer).....since cameras, clothes, film, and computers use animal products.

NEVER BORN.....the rubber/latex gloves used to deliver you were made with animal products.  The plastics and medicines used in your healthcare as an infant were unfortunately, animals.

Mar 31 13 09:33 am Link

Model

Koryn

Eyesso wrote:
I've been photographing a lot with FILM lately.....dang it!   Sorry cows....

People make the BEST choices they can make. No, no one is 100% vegan if you are technical about it, but that is not an excuse to eat turkey on holidays then CLAIM you are a vegan.

Mar 31 13 07:04 pm Link

Model

P I X I E

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Koryn Locke wrote:

People make the BEST choices they can make. No, no one is 100% vegan if you are technical about it, but that is not an excuse to eat turkey on holidays then CLAIM you are a vegan.

Truth.

Apr 01 13 09:13 am Link

Photographer

Eyesso

Orlando, Florida, US

Koryn Locke wrote:

But I've never had turkey for Thanksgiving.....have you? 

Vegans make up 1% of the population, 75% are females.

The average vegan adopts the lifestyle in their mid-20's.....only about 10% remain vegans after 10 years.   

It's cool to have an awakening and to adopt a responsible mantra towards the animals.  What is not cool is when vegans adopt a sanctimonious attitude regarding diet choices and the appropriate use of the term "vegan" when 90% of vegans have been, or will become, flakey about the lifestyle.  It's kind of a fad diet....statistically speaking. 

So NOBODY is vegan, if you get technical about it.  Everything else is left to be described as a percentage of vegan, so 95% or 99% vegan is a fair descriptor.  But at what point does one stop deserving the title?   I don't know the answer to that....

People just make the BEST choices they can make.  wink

JASONRAYONLINE wrote:
Progress requires some latitude...latitude allows us all to move forward as a whole rather than form a group so rigid that it can't appreciate others' work towards progress and thereby does little in the way of progress itself.

Latitude and hypocrisy aren't one in the same; we can afford the former while still repudiating the latter.

Apr 01 13 04:12 pm Link

Model

Jeslynmara

Abee, Alberta, Canada

Koryn Locke wrote:

I enjoyed the food on 80-10-10, but I noticed a pretty obvious decrease in my muscle recovery rate after hard workouts. The soreness was more intense and lasted longer.

Are you doing it right? For me the results were exactly the opposite.

Apr 01 13 06:16 pm Link

Model

Damianne

Austin, Texas, US

bumping the top thread because I really am that bothered by doubles showing up on the main page after a thread is moved.

Apr 01 13 07:00 pm Link

Model

Maja Stina

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, US

I am, apparently, "pescan". It's like being vegan, except I eat some fish/seafood. There's a lot of foods I can't actually eat because of my disease and crap, so I eat fish and whatnot. Plus, I'm still transitioning to vegan. Hopefully one day.

Apr 01 13 07:21 pm Link

Model

Nico K

Auckland, Auckland, New Zealand

Koryn Locke wrote:

I totally agree with what you're saying Koryn.
I started out vegetarianism about 6 years ago but can remember at least a dozen instances when I've swayed to the lure of leftover chicken pieces or sweets from people... I wish I had a stronger will to stick to my ideal diet, but the social consequences weigh too heavily on my feeble mind sad

When I used to dumpster dive I would justify eating meat products because I wasn't contributing economically to the meat industry, but later gave that up too because I just felt much better NOT eating meat.

I'm now trying to stay gluten free due to skin breaks and stomach pains, but that can also be difficult and stressful living in a country where GF (or veganism) is virtually unheard of...

At home I'm a complete vegan because I have easier control over what I bring back into my house, but once I step outside I find myself making a lot of compromises... Can not WAIT to travel to the US this summer to gorge on so much gluten free vegan nosh!!!

Apr 01 13 08:54 pm Link

Model

J Emma

MONROE TOWNSHIP, New Jersey, US

Lacto-ovo veg! And currently trying to cut out that lacto-ovo part... For ethical and environmental reasons...

Apr 02 13 10:05 am Link

Model

J Emma

MONROE TOWNSHIP, New Jersey, US

Alexey Sun wrote:
No reason to be a vegan at all! I am a vegetarian because I don't want to sacrifice a sentient being without an utmost purpose. Which means that if I have to take an animal's life to survive, I will. And with deep sense of gratitude, because nothing wrong with living in harmony with the world and taking what you need from others, as long as you give a greater value to the world in return :-)

Love it! Yes yes yes. I think everyone's choice is their own. But for me, it's a very similar mentality to this.

Apr 02 13 10:11 am Link