Forums > General Industry > Touch me not Models

Model

Retiredmodel

Monmouth, Wales, United Kingdom

Abbitt Photography wrote:

I'll say it:  It isn't entirely different.

If a model is holding a prop in a position I don't like and I move her arm so it's in a position I prefer, the purpose, and action are the same regardless of whether or not a third party is watching.   

The model's comfort level or perception may or may not be different, but my purpose and action is not any different.

In my experience most model's don't perceive it differently either.  The reason for touching them is clear and they consent just as they would if another person were present.

If the model is nude she is vulnerable. Anybody shooting nudes or partially naked women must repect that. I am pretty sure if any man was naked and somebody male or female approached them to touch without knowing their intentions they would freak out or at least instinctively fo to cover their private parts or back away. We as models generally do not; as long as you do ask and your intention is clear. That desreves a special kind of respect not taking it for granted you can touch when it is one to one. Look when I am at a fashion show or fitting I can have dozens of people in my space touching me; every part of my body including photographer. But when alone when nude/partially clothed that is not going to happen. If it needs to it needs to be done carefully and considerately. That is not a big ask.

Oct 01 11 05:37 pm Link

Model

Tansy Blue

Brighton, England, United Kingdom

NB: I understand that many people feel more vulnerable naked, but I don't. Neither do I feel more vulnerable on a one to one shoot. I don't like being touched without being warned or having given consent whether I am clothed or naked, if there is one other person in the room or 50 other people in the room.

Just putting that out there. Not all models feel the same way with regards to nudity. smile

Oct 01 11 07:24 pm Link

Photographer

MLRPhoto

Olivet, Michigan, US

Tansy Blue wrote:
NB: I understand that many people feel more vulnerable naked, but I don't. Neither do I feel more vulnerable on a one to one shoot. I don't like being touched without being warned or having given consent whether I am clothed or naked, if there is one other person in the room or 50 other people in the room.

Just putting that out there. Not all models feel the same way with regards to nudity. smile

This!!!

I'm going to ask, and be sure to respect the model's comfort whether we're alone, as is usually the case, or if there are a few others in the room.  In some sense I'm more cautious if the model is nude, but since I'll ask even if she's not, it doesn't make any real difference.

Oct 01 11 09:49 pm Link

Photographer

Innovative Imagery

Los Angeles, California, US

Jeeeez!  It is all about being professional and respectful.   If I have to touch something, I do.  I usually only do after I have tried verbal direction.  Sometimes, clothing shifts as you get into a pose so you can't do it yourself.

However, you always ask.  Once you ask and don't grope, they are usually ok without further asking.  The more intimate the area, the more I preface the touch with a comment, otherwise, I just do it.

Even when photographing fully clothed executives, they understand that the reason for touching is to make a better picture.  The same for nude models.  If it goes  beyond that, they will know it and it will get around.  So real pro's touch and real models don't mind.

Oct 01 11 10:27 pm Link

Model

Retiredmodel

Tansy Blue wrote:

ha ha. Yes but as a fitting model I just have to let sometimes dozens of people have their hands all over me constantly without having to ask. That isn't going to happen in a one to one it is entirely different; but just needs a bit of respectful common sense if required smile .

Oct 02 11 06:19 am Link

Model

Amarelle

Minneapolis, Minnesota, US

While I appreciate a verbal, "Let me get that," when moving a hair or adjusting a strap (I just realized this is my nude profile but I already typed out a bunch of nonsense so I'm rolling with it) but it's not necessary as the vast majority of people I've worked with were truly professionals and not just labeling themselves as such. Often an accidental boob knock is usually a source of comedy as they have a tendency to get in the way.

One strikingly abhorrent occasion however on a very unpleasant and bad outdoors nude shoot that I should not have agreed to, we had already gone past our time and were at the 5 hour mark and I was earnestly putting forth my best effort the entire time despite it being patently obvious that I had misjudged the character of whom I was working with. At the time I didn't want to be a diva and just cancel it or cut it off mid-way but I really should have.

I was quite exhausted at that point and they kept asking me to stop and do more poses walking back to the cars and when I say a flat out, "No, I'm sorry I'm completely spent and would like to stop." (which is the first and only time I have had to flat out say no to anything during a shoot, any of the photographers I've met praise me on being so agreeable and open)

Upon this, they said, "Just one more," I respond, "No, I'm really not up for it anymore," to which they said, "Ok, well, I'm going to touch you now." While they say that, they step forward, grab both of my wrists and pull them up over my head and push me back against a tree. It took all my effort and strength of will to not immediately break their grip and slam my forehead into their nose.

All of these gals who're so uptight about being touched or brushed in any format can unwad their panties IMHO. Do they get offended when someone new to them offers a hug when they say goodbye? What do they do when they walk down a crowded city street?

Oct 02 11 07:02 am Link

Photographer

GCobb Photography

Southaven, Mississippi, US

Augustine York wrote:
I can't recall a single time in modeling where someone had to put a hand on me to show me how to pose or to adjust a piece of clothing for me. Usually a quick "move your bra strap" or "to the left" or "look up" does the trick.

If a model is so inept at following direction, or a photographer is so inept at giving it, that the photographer needs to be physically touching the model to get her to move the way he wants her to... then someone is doing something wrong.

And yes, I know there are some exceptions where someone is in such a complicated pose they can't even reach their own panties to adjust them, but seriously, how often do those scenarios happen?

The thread should have ended here.  Some models may not mind being touched.  I, personally find it unnecessary and the photographer should be able to give them the right direction without putting their hands on the model.

Oct 02 11 07:17 am Link

Photographer

Revenge Photography

Horsham, Victoria, Australia

Bare Essential Photos wrote:
I don't see any problem with this issue. I simply move on to another model as I do with models who have other issues that show signs of a drama queen.

+1

Oct 02 11 07:20 am Link

Photographer

GCobb Photography

Bare Essential Photos wrote:
I don't see any problem with this issue. I simply move on to another model as I do with models who have other issues that show signs of a drama queen.

These "drama queens" may have been touched inappropriately too.  Open up your mind just a little. smile

Oct 02 11 07:26 am Link

Photographer

Starr Images

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Amarelle wrote:
One strikingly abhorrent occasion however on a very unpleasant and bad outdoors nude shoot that I should not have agreed to, we had already gone past our time and were at the 5 hour mark and I was earnestly putting forth my best effort the entire time despite it being patently obvious that I had misjudged the character of whom I was working with. At the time I didn't want to be a diva and just cancel it or cut it off mid-way but I really should have.

The OP never mentioned the model saying for nude shoots, which sorta snowballed in the thread & many took exception to...it's pretty obvious in a nude/semi nude setting that common sence and manners kick in, I doubt ANY photog on here disagree's as to proper decorum being the rule under those circumstances.

As stated by the OP, this model wouldn't want ( as I read it ) any touching on a "normal" shoot in which case I for one am glad she put it in her profile so I'm forewarned ( not to shoot with her ) and others are as well.

Oct 02 11 07:29 am Link

Model

Retiredmodel

GCobb Photography wrote:

These "drama queens" may have been touched inappropriately too.  Open up your mind just a little. smile

Thank you. And in a one to one situation when it then has potential to become a 'your word against his' scenario it isn't wise. In either person's favour. Yes many of us have had a problem; and there will be photographers who have done something completely innocent and the model then accuses him. The answer is in a one to one to both be very careful and respect each other and ask so there is no possible grey area which confusion about intent may take place and flare into drama.

Oct 02 11 07:32 am Link

Photographer

Revenge Photography

GCobb Photography wrote:

True they may have been.

But either way it makes them more trouble than they are worth. It's far simpler to choose another model without issues.

Oct 02 11 07:38 am Link

Photographer

GCobb Photography

David_M wrote:

True they may have been.

But either way it makes them more trouble than they are worth. It's far simpler to choose another model without issues.

It's trouble if you can't verbally instruct your models?  It's trouble if you can't put your hands on a model?  Okay...

Oct 02 11 07:40 am Link

Model

Retiredmodel

GCobb Photography wrote:
It's trouble if you can't verbally instruct your models?  It's trouble if you can't put your hands on a model?  Okay...

Thank you again.
I have been naked in front of hundreds possibly thousands of artists sculptors fashion industry professionals and photographers. I have never any problems in my 'functionality' as a model and never had anybody but one photographer do anything bad. So it is awful to suggest that a model may have 'issues' because she doesn't want a photographer to assume they can touch you without even asking in a one to one situation. Seems like to me that one or two of the photographers here actually have the issues. smile

Oct 02 11 07:44 am Link

Photographer

no1234

London, England, United Kingdom

I've never had to touch a model, except literally yesterday I tucked his shirt in because he didn't understand the word, "tuck".

I never really have to touch models, telling them clearly how to pose usually works (unless of course there is a language barrier like yesterday).

Oct 02 11 07:44 am Link

Model

Amarelle

Minneapolis, Minnesota, US

Starr Images wrote:
The OP never mentioned the model saying for nude shoots, which sorta snowballed in the thread & many took exception to...it's pretty obvious in a nude/semi nude setting that common sence and manners kick in, I doubt ANY photog on here disagree's as to proper decorum being the rule under those circumstances.

As stated by the OP, this model wouldn't want ( as I read it ) any touching on a "normal" shoot in which case I for one am glad she put it in her profile so I'm forewarned ( not to shoot with her ) and others are as well.

Good point! My indignation train got rolling and I left that little fact at the station, hah. In which case it's something I think we all can be glad to be informed of prior to the fact, because I've tended to only hear that from divas who couldn't walk the walk they talked the talk about.

Even if I was "tall/skinny/pretty enough" to get away with diva-behavior I wouldn't, I hate seeing/experiencing it from other people so under no circumstances would I engage in it myself, I aim to not be a hypocrite.

Oct 02 11 07:46 am Link

Photographer

Steve Korn

Seattle, Washington, US

i always ask first and it's usually just to adjust a stray hair.

Oct 02 11 07:48 am Link

Photographer

Revenge Photography

GCobb Photography wrote:

No, its potential trouble when a model puts anything so emphatically in their profile.

Shiva Photo wrote:
" I will not tolerate HANDS ON PHOTOGRAPHERS " This appears in a recent model portfolio

When I see any type of statement or demand in caps, I step right over the profile.  Its simply easier to avoid potential issues completely by moving on to another model. It's immaterial whether I think I will be able to verbal guide her , a problem avoided is better than a problem solved.

Oct 02 11 07:55 am Link

Photographer

Larry Quick

Lake Worth, Florida, US

The photographer should always ask the model if its ok to touch her just in case she has aproblem with that I personally have neverhad a problem if you ask first

Oct 02 11 07:56 am Link

Photographer

Starr Images

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Shiva Photo wrote:
" I will not tolerate HANDS ON PHOTOGRAPHERS " This appears in a recent model portfolio

When I see any type of statement or demand in caps, I step right over the profile.  Its simply easier to avoid potential issues completely by moving on to another model. It's immaterial whether I think I will be able to verbal guide her , a problem avoided is better than a problem solved.

So WELL PUT ! ( pardon my caps ;-) )

Oct 02 11 08:02 am Link

Photographer

New York, New York, US

Marciia Gringe wrote:

you must have worked with some ditzes then. dont generalize all models like that please.

I agree a simple 'do you mind?' solves the whole problem. As long as they are not molesting me a simple touch is not a big deal. Mind you, I have made friends with a lot of the photographers I work with and trust them. Always go for coffee with a photog/model to see what kind of person they are. Communication is key in ANY sort of relationship. Even one regarding a model and photographer.

"I have never had a model"

Did not generalize all models

Oct 28 11 11:49 pm Link

Photographer

DMesser Photography

Oceanside, California, US

I have been shooting for 1 1/2 yrs now, and to this point have never had to touch a model at all.  I just tell the what I need, or if it is a pose, show theml.  Not saying it won't ever happen, but so far I haven't found the need.  Doesen't mean I don't want to.  Just haven't had to.

Oct 29 11 12:08 am Link

Photographer

Alex Kingston

London, England, United Kingdom

I have to say I agree!

Oct 29 11 12:58 pm Link

Photographer

EdwardKristopher

Tempe, Arizona, US

I RELUCTANTLY touch models...maybe to move a strand of hair or move their hand a bit or such.  I have just heard TOO MANY stories about photographers that felt they had the right to touch a model anywhere they want and in any way they felt like.  I try to be respectful of those that I work with, so I really am hands off.  Any photographer that thinks this is a problem should consider that the models have probably run into some pretty sleazy "photographers" and are just trying to protect themselves.

Understand that your daughter is trying to model and has to be around all the different personalities that are out here.  It's not YOU, it's the OTHER less reputable ones that this is for. 

Don't feel upset unless you're actually guilty...

I'm just saying...

Kindest regards,
Edward

Oct 29 11 02:13 pm Link

Photographer

Justin

Fort Collins, Colorado, US

This has been said before in different ways by others, so I'm just adding it for cumulative value, I guess.

I generally don't touch models. I like giving direction.

If I do touch, I don't touch skin. If I do touch their hair or fabric, it's after an explanation is given, permission is requested, and granted.

Hair or clothing. The model often can't see how I want her hair. And I may like her pose just the way it is, and getting her to adjust clothing will lose the precise dynamic that I'm seeing.

Consent or not, if I sense any discomfort, I won't approach her, period. And I rarely hug, for that matter.

It's worked so far.

Oct 29 11 03:06 pm Link

Photographer

Ironworx Productions

Atlanta, Georgia, US

I always ask and have never had a problem.. 20+ years, I suppose I'm doing something right..

I would not want someone just walking up and handling me and getting all up in my space either.

Oct 29 11 03:16 pm Link

Photographer

nyk fury

Port Townsend, Washington, US

oh, i thought this was a thread telling models to not touch shooters.

touching is touchy issue in america where most everyone is repressed, neurotic, and horny.

i would suggest that shooters who are overly sexual and models who are overly frozen stay out of this business entirely.

Oct 29 11 03:17 pm Link

Photographer

Jerry Nemeth

Dearborn, Michigan, US

I was hugged by a nude model and didn't complain.   big_smile

Oct 29 11 04:16 pm Link

Model

Alice Cat

Haverfordwest, Wales, United Kingdom

I had a photographer lunge forward without asking to wipe the lipstick off my teeth. With his bare hand. I was shocked, how is that okay?

My way of thinking is tell me what I need to do with my body/face/hair to get it right, if I still don't quite get it perhaps demonstrate if possible, and then, after asking for permission and being told "yes", you can move me about.

Very few of us are or ever will be shooting for Vogue or Calvin Klein, the majority of photographers will be "Average Joe's" who could be just about anybody; anyone can create a portfolio on Model Mayhem and call themselves a professional photographer, fact is we are going off to meet and pose (sometimes scantily clad or nude) for a stranger. The likelihood that they're a dodgy character is slim if we've gone through the motions right (checked references etc.), but that doesn't mean that it's not a little uncomfortable for a person to just touch you out of the blue without asking first.

Oct 29 11 05:46 pm Link

Photographer

Miracle_Man

Raleigh, North Carolina, US

Wow... long thread.

I try to not touch the models.  I try to have a female assistant to do any adjustments, be it another photographer or a MUA/hair stylist.

If I'm in a situation where I don't have someone to do that, I very clearly ask for permission to make the adjustment I need to make and do nothing more than what I asked.

Oct 29 11 06:04 pm Link

Photographer

DC Photo - Inactive

Trenton, New Jersey, US

Fred Gerhart wrote:

Wrong on so many levels... Photographers should never touch a model without first asking and they should be very specific about what the adjust is. When a photographer invades a models space the shoot can go from great to flat faster than warp 9.

I trust this is coming from experience on large commercial sets with full teams and large budgets for big name clients?  No?

Speaking in absolutes is never absolutely correct.

There is a difference between MM hobbyist models and hobbyist photographers in regards to professional working photographers and sets.

On a professional set I'm not going to ask every 5 seconds if I can adjust a single strand of hair, if you don't trust me to not be creepy then don't shoot with me.

Oct 29 11 06:17 pm Link

Photographer

Mike Blissett

Canterbury, England, United Kingdom

Shiva Photo wrote:

Reluctance of a model to be touched by the photographer even for adjustment of a pose for best angle or lighting is counter productive to getting the best shots. Review of You tube videos and DVDS show that the best photographers in the field adjust the models face and body. It appears to be an accepted practice.

Models who are absolutely " touch me not"  must think twice about a serious career in modeling.

Photographers and Models opinions are welcome. A touchy subject no doubt.

It's been a golden rule 'Never touch'.... It's called respect for many a professional, don't ever think it's acceptable..just don't touch!

Oct 30 11 02:58 am Link

Model

MelissaAnn

Seattle, Washington, US

Tansy Blue wrote:

+1

as long as the touching is obviously for a needed adjustment, it makes no difference to me whether I'm clothed or naked.  I'd rather the photographer just touch/adjust my chin, shoulders, leg, etc, rather than continuing with "a little further down, no a little further to the right...no, no"...this gets old quickly.  I know how to take direction well, but some photographers aren't the greatest at explaining exactly how they want you to move.  Some of those same photographers that are bad at giving precise directions are amazing with their technical skills, and I trust them implicitly.  In those cases, it saves a lot of time to just let them make the "adjustments" themselves. I'd rather they just touch me and get the shot that they want.  I'm happy with my pictures, so the ones who made "adjustments" clearly knew what they were doing.

Oct 30 11 09:17 pm Link

Photographer

DC Photo - Inactive

Trenton, New Jersey, US

Mike Blissett wrote:
It's been a golden rule 'Never touch'.... It's called respect for many a professional, don't ever think it's acceptable..just don't touch!

Who's golden rule?  During a shoot does a hair-stylist, makeup artist or wardrobe stylist "never touch?" Do they ask every single time something needs to be adjusted?  Are they magic members of the team far above the photographer and blessed by some sort of holy light that allows them to touch?

Ever seen a fashion show?  There are no personal boundaries there, I can assure you.

Is it just photographers that aren't allowed to touch?  Do you have some sort of negative view of photographers that makes you think they aren't allowed to touch in an appropriate manner but everyone else is?

If I'm working with one of my stylists and I want something a certain way, I may very well use the model to demonstrate specifically what I want -- I'm not going to spend 10 minutes on the internet trying to find a "sample" image that is close and then try to explain from there, nor am I going to try to explain specifically what type of hairstyle I want because I lack the proficiency in that department to do so, hence the reason I pay someone else to be the expert.

Oct 31 11 07:52 am Link

Model

retiredanddeleted

Azul, Buenos Aires, Argentina

I posted and realized I had already answered this thread  lol

Oct 31 11 10:23 am Link

Artist/Painter

Rusty pencil

Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

It's all about the proffesional relationship that is being fostered and personal choice. Not all artists and photographers are proffesional and not all models are completly secure when working. With both of these variables you will get the no touch policy.

When I work with models I am always aware of thier space and rarely touch but it may have to happen on the ocation during long poses after a brake. The concept of building trust is important. The simple point of understanding that confidence and being secure in the environment is the key to a successful session. Many models will stagnate and not advance if they are not willing to let an artist, photographer or fashion designer adjust the garment or pose. At the same time the artist will lose respect and future opportunities if the models space is not respected.

Simply put both parties have to ask why they are doing what they are doing. Is it because they want to be poffesional, confident and respectful or because they are vain, perverted or paranoid. The last three being a negatives in the industry. This is an industry that is wide and varied with diffrent people with diffrent reasons for being here and more often than not the persons intentions are clear from they start, thier portfolio content and how they communicate. A gropy artist or a paranoid model can only go so far in a such a competitive industry.

Not all modles are expirenced enough to take direction well and not all photographers and artists are able to give direction but to assume that all photographers and artists are in this questionable reasons is absurd. To say that a photographer or artist has to touch a model because they are inept at giving is a wild assumption. Having this opinion would be a wild generalization of the artist. I'm sure that if Annie Leibovitz or Nigel Baker adjusted a garment or pose on most models there would not be a problem. There would be few complaints because it would be an opportunity of a life time.

If you have a no touch policy as a model, artist or photographer fine but to assume that all should never touch or all who do are inept or perverted is completly nieve.

Oct 31 11 10:54 am Link

Photographer

Luke Lenz

Berlin, Berlin, Germany

Damianne wrote:
It's all about attitude.
Some people are creeps and some people know how to respect obvious limits.

Right on.

Oct 31 11 11:05 am Link

Photographer

donde

Delhi, Delhi, India

Augustine York wrote:
I can't recall a single time in modeling where someone had to put a hand on me to show me how to pose or to adjust a piece of clothing for me. Usually a quick "move your bra strap" or "to the left" or "look up" does the trick.

If a model is so inept at following direction, or a photographer is so inept at giving it, that the photographer needs to be physically touching the model to get her to move the way he wants her to... then someone is doing something wrong.

And yes, I know there are some exceptions where someone is in such a complicated pose they can't even reach their own panties to adjust them, but seriously, how often do those scenarios happen?

haha! no butt ...

Oct 31 11 11:05 am Link

Model

Kitza

Columbia, Missouri, US

It's a personal choice.  Personally, I think all touching between strangers is unacceptable unless one person is on fire or there is some other emergency. 

That's why we have language so we don't have to touch each other.   If the model can't take non-physical direction, then just end the shoot.  Models are not robots.. they're human and whether someone wants to be touched or not is a personal choice.

Oct 31 11 11:15 am Link

Retoucher

Sunrise Retouching

Fort Lauderdale, Florida, US

Why do people make this an issue,if a model doesn't want touched(male or female) then don't touch them.It's a pretty simple request,not shooting them because they request that is foolish.The society we live in now is unsafe and sometimes out right dangerous.

Oct 31 11 11:20 am Link