Forums > Photography Talk > Photographers without websites ...

Photographer

Chuck Holliday

New York, New York, US

Basheer wrote:
Now this makes no sense ... "beneath having a website" ...

there's quite a few photographers out there with ego's who have this theory, not me though. but i guess the idea of a photographer designing a website for another photog doesnt bode well with people. who knows.

Aug 12 05 01:13 am Link

Photographer

Michael Gundelach

Hamburg, Hamburg, Germany

Well it all depends at the contend in the end - Do I want to show I'm a good photographer in search for models or do I want to show I'm a good programmer in search for new gadets.

Aug 12 05 01:16 am Link

Photographer

Glamour Boulevard

Sacramento, California, US

Basheer wrote:
They can charge those prices because flash sites cost far more than HTML ones, not only do you need the $600 program, it requires some serious programming ability to make a flash site that is updateable yourself ...

There are plenty of flash tutorial websites that help you learn flash and there are also generic flash coding scripts you can get for free if you look, some of which can make great photography galleries.
I used to use photoshops gallery maker but I am getting fancier now.

Aug 12 05 02:08 am Link

Photographer

Glamour Boulevard

Sacramento, California, US

guzx wrote:
well if you need a website what you could do is build one in Tripod.com. i started like that then i got my domain. but for beginner i think www.tripod.com might work for now. is easy to use.

stear clear of tripod and geocities and most of the other ones like them. Last I checked, on goecities especially, they assumed copyright to all text and photos their members uploaded and could and did use whatever they wanted of their members content in their advertisements and such, especially photographs, without asking or compensation to the creator of the images/text.

Aug 12 05 02:11 am Link

Photographer

John Van

Rotterdam, Zuid-Holland, Netherlands

I have a bunch of domain names, some related to photography, and have about three of them activated to have those email addresses.

While I've dabbled at putting together a site, it doesn't look good and I'm not ready to spend money on a site to show off my shots if I can show them here and on other places as well.

That would change if photography was a professional venture for me.

Aug 12 05 06:35 am Link

Wardrobe Stylist

Basheer

Palo Alto, California, US

JvR wrote:
I have a bunch of domain names, some related to photography, and have about three of them activated to have those email addresses.

While I've dabbled at putting together a site, it doesn't look good and I'm not ready to spend money on a site to show off my shots if I can show them here and on other places as well.

That would change if photography was a professional venture for me.

Having your domain name and a website hosting where you can showcase your photos (and hundreds of photos not just 20) costs around $9/year for the domain and around $4/month for the hosting ... that's about $60/year ...

Aug 12 05 08:40 am Link

Photographer

XtremeArtists

JvR wrote:
While I've dabbled at putting together a site, it doesn't look good

Basheer wrote:
Having your domain name and a website hosting where you can showcase your photos (and hundreds of photos not just 20) costs around $9/year for the domain and around $4/month for the hosting ... that's about $60/year ...

But he needs a good site design. That's his point.

MM offers a free option that users can update daily.

Aug 12 05 08:53 am Link

Photographer

CreativeSandBoxStudio

London, England, United Kingdom

So! Jump on the bandwagon for photographers with web sites, interesting idea.....let me think about this. Wait I don't have a web site, yet still I am a working shooter. My work shows up on clients sites without a cost to me. Ok! I have nothing against web sites, but tell me what percentage from these web sites do you get paid work.....the ones that pay the utilites and all your overhead for your business. I am old school....loves the idea of direct promotional work going out to cleints every six weeks, so they get to touch it...feel it smell the chemicals on different syrfaces for which I work on....also having a rep doesn't hurt that my book is sitting in some art directors office as we speak. This is the bottom like, who views your  site and what percentage are clients willing to work with you is a lot you have to come into the idea of "Hey I need a site" or is is just another photographer looking at your stuff saying " I can do better than this guy" Well there is many ways to look at it and many ways to spend your budget on propmotional stuff out there.....choose wisely

Aug 12 05 08:53 am Link

Photographer

XtremeArtists

Great point Alex.

Aug 12 05 08:55 am Link

Photographer

CreativeSandBoxStudio

London, England, United Kingdom

Basheer wrote:
It's amazing how many photographers only have a OMP or MM or other similar portfolio page but not their own domain name or their own website??? Don't they know it only costs something like $8/year for a domain name and a few bucks/month for hosting these days?

Also here is an idea for you and others out there...When I work with a client...paying gig...I have t-shirts & sweat shirts with the image of a chock outline of a dead person on the streets of Detroit with the saying " I was Shot in Detroit" by The Photographic Studio of Gordon Alexander.

Aug 12 05 08:56 am Link

Photographer

XtremeArtists

Alex Alexander wrote:

Also here is an idea for you and others out there...When I work with a client...paying gig...I have t-shirts & sweat shirts with the image of a chock outline of a dead person on the streets of Detroit with the saying " I was Shot in Detroit" by The Photographic Studio of Gordon Alexander.

There you go. I knew Alex was the man with a plan. I love it.

Aug 12 05 08:58 am Link

Photographer

Peter Dattolo

Wolcott, Connecticut, US

I agree with alex. I had a web site with all my photos and what got me is the amount of work i actualy got from it. Granted it was a free site with exposure alllll over the world, but i aint all over the world to work with these people.
Its better to have your work sitting in an office or on someones desk that can give you a personal referral of your work.
Its easier for someone to be interested in your work and they want a photo and they say "Oh look he is in the next town, he is local"!

Aug 12 05 09:01 am Link

Wardrobe Stylist

Basheer

XtremeArtists wrote:

JvR wrote:
While I've dabbled at putting together a site, it doesn't look good

But he needs a good site design. That's his point.

MM offers a free option that users can update daily.

If you have photoshop (which I assume most photographers do), you can just use their web photo gallery option to create the site - not the best, but not limited to 20 photos and no ads ...

Then there are of tons of sites that let you create photo galleries without any extra garabage/ads ... has anyone tried www.smugmug.com

Aug 12 05 09:03 am Link

Photographer

Peter Dattolo

Wolcott, Connecticut, US

Alex Alexander wrote:

I am currently looking into some sort of advertizing prop like this.

Aug 12 05 09:03 am Link

Photographer

XtremeArtists

Basheer wrote:

If you have photoshop (which I assume most photographers do), you can just use their web photo gallery option to create the site - not the best, but not limited to 20 photos and no ads ...

Then there are of tons of sites that let you create photo galleries without any extra garabage/ads ... has anyone tried www.smugmug.com

Photoshop's web gallery doesn't work on all browsers correctly.

Aug 12 05 09:05 am Link

Wardrobe Stylist

Basheer

I know some cool place that offer non-branded sites ... anyone interested can message me ...

Aug 12 05 09:15 am Link

Photographer

XtremeArtists

Basheer wrote:
I know some cool place that offer non-branded sites ... anyone interested can message me ...

Post them here. We are all curious to know.

Why start an infomercial and cut us off before the climax?

Aug 12 05 09:16 am Link

Wardrobe Stylist

Basheer

A friend of mine got banned without notice when he posted a link to a site in the forums that appeared to be a competitor to MM !!!

... which I find ironic, since there is so much complaining about OMP not allowing various references to MM ... but I doubt anyone got banned on OMP because of a simple mention of MM in a forum posting ...

... by the way, the sites in question obviously don't include OMP

Aug 12 05 09:20 am Link

Photographer

Brian Diaz

Danbury, Connecticut, US

XtremeArtists wrote:

Photoshop's web gallery doesn't work on all browsers correctly.

Really?  I'd like to know more about this.  What are the issues?

Aug 12 05 09:25 am Link

Photographer

XposurePhoto

Houston, Texas, US

Now days if you are trying to make business and call yourself a "Pro" having a website is a must...specially when you don't have a Studio, they can see your work and see if they want to continue doing business with you, its like your resme and it is worth the investment...

My first one was flash..had all the efects and music...but then I realize I am trying to show my pics, not How much I was spending on my site...well, I got into the site biz and changed it to a HTML + some Juva to spice it up...the best thing I could have done...the question is what r u trying to sell????

after looking at proces quoted, I wonder why people thought $500.00 for a basic HTML site, with some Jeva was too much...actually is prety low, but in all Photography site..the work must dpeak for itself!

So I am offerinf my services also if anyone interested as well in a basic, none templet website.

Juancho

Aug 12 05 09:26 am Link

Photographer

XtremeArtists

Brian Diaz wrote:

Really?  I'd like to know more about this.  What are the issues?

The slideshow feature doesn't auto advance on some browsers.

There are also some poor behaviors when comparing how it looks on Mac v Windows.

Aug 12 05 09:27 am Link

Photographer

XtremeArtists

Basheer wrote:
A friend of mine got banned without notice when he posted a link to a site in the forums that appeared to be a competitor to MM !!!

... which I find ironic, since there is so much complaining about OMP not allowing various references to MM ... but I doubt anyone got banned on OMP because of a simple mention of MM in a forum posting ...

... by the way, the sites in question obviously don't include OMP

So your idea was to start an informercial and then request people contact you privately so you can advertise solomodels or a similar organization you are invloved with?

How do you think that is any different?

Why do you think photographers would trust someone who solicited for models to send photos you could use on websites rather than soliciting the images from photographers who own the copyright?

Just curious.

Aug 12 05 09:31 am Link

Wardrobe Stylist

Basheer

Not exactly, the topic started as something else but shifted to more about website providers so it seems ...

Here are some sites I have no relation with ...

www.smugmug.com
www.foliolink.com
www.qfolio.com

Aug 12 05 09:33 am Link

Photographer

XtremeArtists

XposurePhoto wrote:
Now days if you are trying to make business and call yourself a "Pro" having a website is a must...specially when you don't have a Studio, they can see your work and see if they want to continue doing business with you, its like your resme and it is worth the investment...

My first one was flash..had all the efects and music...but then I realize I am trying to show my pics, not How much I was spending on my site...well, I got into the site biz and changed it to a HTML + some Juva to spice it up...the best thing I could have done...the question is what r u trying to sell????

after looking at proces quoted, I wonder why people thought $500.00 for a basic HTML site, with some Jeva was too much...actually is prety low, but in all Photography site..the work must dpeak for itself!

So I am offerinf my services also if anyone interested as well in a basic, none templet website.

Juancho

I agree with you. There are plenty of ways to get a good website despite.

I think this infomercial of Basheer's is about over.

Aug 12 05 09:34 am Link

Model

DawnElizabeth

Madison, Mississippi, US

Basheer wrote:
It's amazing how many photographers only have a OMP or MM or other similar portfolio page but not their own domain name or their own website??? Don't they know it only costs something like $8/year for a domain name and a few bucks/month for hosting these days?

And a bit of money for the design and uploading of your site to the web....not everyone knows how to use Front Page or even the ready made templates that most hosting sites offer now. ANd they are too busy to try and figure it out.

As for you saying someone is not a pro because they don't have a website or that you 'MUST' have one in this day and age, don't be like that. Remember, there was a time when the web didn't exist..... and a professional was a professional based on his/her work and not their web presence.

I have my own site simply because it is cheaper than paying to be hosted on model/photographer listing sites. And because when I am being considered for a job (and this may sound selfish or smart), and I need to provide more photos, when I send someone to a website, I don't want them to be able to browse the other models/actors on the site. I lost one job in the beginning because of that and I finally took my brother up on his offer to build me sites for both. It only takes once, and I will never send a potential employer to any of my listing sites, only to my .com. Maybe they would not have hired me anyway, but I'll never know.

Aug 12 05 09:59 am Link

Model

DawnElizabeth

Madison, Mississippi, US

And it's kinda neat to have my name as a dot com:
www.dawneonline.com
www.dawnelizabeth.com

Yeah, I'm a nut!

Aug 12 05 10:01 am Link

Photographer

Brian Diaz

Danbury, Connecticut, US

DawnElizabeth wrote:
As for you saying someone is not a pro because they don't have a website or that you 'MUST' have one in this day and age, don't be like that. Remember, there was a time when the web didn't exist..... and a professional was a professional based on his/her work and not their web presence.

There was also a time when telephones didn't exist.  As phones increased in popularity and ubiquity, I'm sure some businesses resisted, but in the end, they all either gave in or failed.

The Internet is just too good for communication and marketing to ignore.

Aug 12 05 10:11 am Link

Photographer

XtremeArtists

DawnElizabeth wrote:
And it's kinda neat to have my name as a dot com:
www.dawneonline.com
www.dawnelizabeth.com

Yeah, I'm a nut!

Nice sites. Both of them.

Aug 12 05 10:16 am Link

Model

sthompson

k, have to interject a bit...I do some site development as a sideline "hobby" (databases and client-server software development as a main "gig") and anyone that would charge 20k for a site is insane, and to anyone that would think to pay it...outrageous.

My sites are html/javascript-based and average between 500.00 - 3,000 TOPS!  I've done some pro-bono exposure work (and am doing some for some models here on MM right now)...like I said, it's my fun.

Now for the FLASH...five words of advice:
1.) Most FLASH is not Search Engine Optimized...that is, it's not coded to be found by any of the search engines and therefore becomes "pretty" and unfindable.

2.) Unless coded REALLY cleanly (and helpfully) FLASH is a pain to update (as you have mentioned, you need Dreamweaver first, second you have to have the .fla files, know what they are, etc...)

3.) As you've also noted, it's neat for a few seconds, and then after that, it's rather slow and annoying.  After all, when you hit a site, do you want pretty shows, or do you want to content...like have a Porsche with a Hyundai engine for crying out loud.  A bit of Flash, for a title, etc...fine...making the whole site flash-based...fad.

4.) Most things you can do in FLASH you can do using Javascript, which is easier to code, easier to update and has withstood the test of time as a development tool (which leads to point number 5...

5.) Google is already moving away from FLASH as "historical" and moving to the new technology AJAX which is a combination of JavaScript and XML.

Oh...and an idea of what a straight-laced Javascript site can do (with a hint of FLASH but not enough to corrupt speed) is:

www.JimmyZProductions.com

and it cost him $1,500 to make start to finish.

Hit the portfolio for other examples of sites...I'd be more than happy to quote you a FAIR and REASONABLE price since this is my passion and not my life-blood.

Take care, and God Bless.
Shawn Thompson

Aug 12 05 10:18 am Link

Photographer

New York, New York, US

I do not really want to get into the banter.

I am changing but have not seen the need in the past.  Clients saw my books.   I  live in NY city so a bit different for me.   I have many separate and distinctive books,  such as jewelry,  jewelry on models,  fashion, beauty,  natural,  kids,  a commercial book but weak,   art fashion,  art,  light painting,  interiors and even high end weddings I do.

Putting all of those books on to a site or many sites has not made sense to me in the past.  I have a single simple password protected jewelry site.   So very simple.  I will be getting sites in the future but it is not top on my list of things to do.

It is about time not just money.   For me sites are for low end clients,    just is for me.

I will have a page in Lebook soon but no public web page. 

I guess I am a loser.

And I guess my friend who shoots for Saks and another who shoots for rebok and on ANTM as a photographer are losers too.

Aug 12 05 10:21 am Link

Model

angelavasquez

Murrieta, California, US

Not all Photogs can afford the website, some either dont have the time for one or just dont want one. you cant bash a photographer for not having a website cause they can equally turn around and say well your a model how come you dont have a website....

Aug 12 05 10:52 am Link

Photographer

Columbus Photo

Columbus, Georgia, US

I agree with the folks that say photographers should have a web site and their own domain.  It doesn't have to be designed by someone else.  FrontPage is about $90 and if you've used MS Word, you already know most of it.  Here's a link to mine: Paul's Portraits.  It's not flash nor all that fancy but it has a lot of pictures and it's fast and easy to navigate.

Paul

Aug 12 05 12:55 pm Link

Model

DawnElizabeth

Madison, Mississippi, US

Paul Ferrara wrote:
I agree with the folks that say photographers should have a web site and their own domain.  It doesn't have to be designed by someone else.  FrontPage is about $90 and if you've used MS Word, you already know most of it.  Here's a link to mine: Paul's Portraits.  It's not flash nor all that fancy but it has a lot of pictures and it's fast and easy to navigate.

Paul

Not every photographer has the time to try and figure out Front Page nor do they want to.

Mr Diaz:

Yeah, I got that comment about the telephone, but you didn't catch what I was trying to say which Mark Sora seems to understand well: websites aren't going to make you look like a professional - YOUR WORK AND YOUR BOOK WILL.

It also depends on the market you are in as a photographer too. If you are in the market of potraits and weddings, it might be nice to have a website to list on your business card and leave in flower shops and dress shops to generate an interest. People who otherwise would not know you exist, can see your work.  As a fashion photograher or a wannabe fashion photographer, a website won't make you look better than your book. You will still need a printed book to carry to potential clients. Some accept it on CD, no one accepts links to websites.

I still don't think it's right to say that someone is  not a professional if they don't have a website...

not every person is a pro just because they have a website....

Aug 12 05 01:20 pm Link

Model

DawnElizabeth

Madison, Mississippi, US

XtremeArtists wrote:

Nice sites. Both of them.

Thanks X. I think my brother went overboard, personally, but he is very proud of them. He is working on another site for me now....he says I need one dedicated to my headshot work. I think he just likes designing....

Aug 12 05 01:22 pm Link

Photographer

John Van

If I build a site, it needs to serve a purpose. That purpose can be one of many:

- it's fun for me to build it or to mark my space on the Web
- I can use it to share my images with others, family, models, friends, etc.
- I can use it to market myself
- I can use it to show off my work to the public at large

Now, my reasoning:

- I dabbled in Frontpage and didn't think it was fun; I don't think just having a site is much fun either, unless it serves another purpose
- I do use my otherwise lousy site to post gallery pages and offer access to my family back in Holland or to models I've just done a shoot with by sending them the exact URL to that one page
- this is my hobby at the moment, so I don't need to market myself
- I don't think people would find my site; if I want to show my work, I can do it on Photosig, Pbase and similar sites (I actually have space on Photosig, but getting critiques is largely meaningless there, so I no longer post there)

So, once again, why should I spend money on developing a real site?

Irony is, I used to be the content manager for a site that cost about $500k to build and was intimately involved in having it built and my current income comes from developing content for Fortune 500 Web sites, among others.

Aug 12 05 01:22 pm Link

Photographer

Hugh Jorgen

Ashland, Oregon, US

Basheer wrote:
I'm not saying you can't get a very good smooth flowing site with HTML, you can, just as you can with Flash ...

Flash does offer some options you can't do with HTML but that doesn't mean Flash is always slow and HTML is fast.

Ultimately, a good design (Flash or HTML) will shine and make the person look good ... its a good investment to have a nice site, but don't go pay $10K, search google and you'll find lots of choices ...

Time to call it a night smile

Flash sucks!!

On Dial-up!!

dreampretty.com

Aug 12 05 01:27 pm Link

Photographer

Curt at photoworks

Riverside, California, US

The web site question aside, I think it's important for a person to think to the future about how they will brand themselves and at least get a domain name that can serve as an email address that would at least forword to their (rather unprofessional) yahoo or aol account.

I think a person would make different inferences about

[email protected]
vs
[email protected]
vs
[email protected]

As others have said, it's less than $10 yr to own your domain name and it will come with email forwarding and autoreply for many addresses (ie, [email protected]). Then when you want to have your web site, you already have let people know what it will be (ie, your domain name). Anyone can afford $10 a year.

Aug 12 05 01:39 pm Link

Photographer

John Van

Curt Burgess wrote:
The web site question aside, I think it's important for a person to think to the future about how they will brand themselves and at least get a domain name that can serve as an email address that would at least forword to their (rather unprofessional) yahoo or aol account.

I think a person would make different inferences about

[email protected]
vs
[email protected]
vs
[email protected]

As others have said, it's less than $10 yr to own your domain name and it will come with email forwarding and autoreply for many addresses (ie, [email protected]). Then when you want to have your web site, you already have let people know what it will be (ie, your domain name). Anyone can afford $10 a year.

I agree with that. I've held various domain names for years, just because I don't want to risk losing what I consider good domain names for myself.

Aug 12 05 01:45 pm Link

Wardrobe Stylist

stylist man

New York, New York, US

All this talk about cheap sites.  Well I think they look cheap.   For many we are just waiting to do it to a high standard of quality.   

Cheap is often just cheap.

Aug 12 05 01:50 pm Link

Photographer

Alluring Exposures

Casa Grande, Arizona, US

I have a domain name and the hosting, but soince I suck at HTML, don't have the money to pay some else to build the site for me, and don't have the time to learn how to do it myself... it's just sitting there, half-built with a silly template provided by the hosting service... that's why I don't announce it or use it.

Basheer wrote:

Aug 12 05 02:01 pm Link