Forums > Photography Talk > Photographers without websites ...

Photographer

Columbus Photo

Columbus, Georgia, US

DawnElizabeth wrote:
Not every photographer has the time to try and figure out Front Page nor do they want to.

I don't think FP is that hard to figure out.  As I said, if you know MS Word, you're more than halfway there.  Adding images is mostly drag & drop.

Paul

Aug 12 05 02:52 pm Link

Photographer

Columbus Photo

Columbus, Georgia, US

Carlos Arturo Velarde wrote:
I have a domain name and the hosting, but soince I suck at HTML,...

You can do a web site without knowing a smidgen of HTML.  Take my word for it.

Paul

Aug 12 05 02:53 pm Link

Photographer

Vegas Alien

Armington, Illinois, US

XtremeArtists wrote:
I'll be happy to put one together for anyone who needs one.

I will need a redesign for my site; long overdue.  When will your own site be up so we can see how you build sites? I only see a homepage. Do you have any other examples you've done that you can point us to?

Aug 12 05 03:18 pm Link

Photographer

BlackSkyPhoto

Danville, California, US

Well having done alot of web design and hosting....

Most business sites I run are 10 bucks a month and I charge hourly for updates - and I can do alot in an hour...

you want flash and tons of cool graphics - thats another thing....but basic design is pretty straight forward...

Sites like www.markdaughn.com are simple straightforward and classy..

Aug 12 05 03:36 pm Link

Photographer

rexyinc

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia

I like this thread.. keeping it alive hehe..

The most expensive modelling website i've worked on cost over $1million+ aust dollars to develop.

I was the BDM who brought the client in.. it cost so much the company had to partner with our development company just to keep the development going. When I brought them in, we had 2 coders on staff - by the time I left (4 yrs later) we had 28 coders on staff big_smile just for them.. now 4 years later they were brought out by their next biggest competitor.. today they are the leading site for models/actors/agencies in australia. still using the same business plan i suggested all those years ago..

so yeah, if you plan it well, you can make real money and real business from websites.. ours was basically all database with a very flash java front end.. I dont think it can be topped as they have the marketplace locked up now.. which is why they got brought out, all cos they have a brilliant business plan to start with..

so whats your business plan? you really need a good one...

oh gotta run, cyas
Rexy

Aug 16 05 12:37 am Link

Photographer

qphotonyc

New York, New York, US

XtremeArtists wrote:
Flash sites are money makers, but once a visitor comes to a site for the second time, the last thing they want to worry about is waiting for Flash to load and watching the same reveals and effects they saw the first time.

Most user experience studies I have seen indicate that Flash sites are mostly popular with the people who sell them.

i think that's very true. also, even though alot of peeps have dsl/cable, those on dialup are going to have a loooong wait unless you design your site with them in mind: lite file sizes, no flash b/s or heavy animated gifs.
as for the original poster's difficulty updating, one shortcut is just give the pics generic names ('img01, img02, etc..) and upload the new pics under the old names to replace them.
thats in html, anyway.

Aug 16 05 12:54 am Link

Model

sthompson

qphotonyc wrote:
i think that's very true. also, even though alot of peeps have dsl/cable, those on dialup are going to have a loooong wait unless you design your site with them in mind: lite file sizes, no flash b/s or heavy animated gifs.
as for the original poster's difficulty updating, one shortcut is just give the pics generic names ('img01, img02, etc..) and upload the new pics under the old names to replace them.
thats in html, anyway.

And if you throw PHP/MySQL into the mix all you need to do is keep a standard naming convention and have the database store the NUMBER of pictures on the page (that's what I do for my kids page)  That way you just upload the pics (say 2005040-V10.jpg

Meaning a vertical picture (number 10 in the series) taken in April 2005.  Then you have the PHP Page pass the prefix as a variable, run a quick count check based on that prefix for count (V and H pics) and set the values dynamically...like this:

Aug 16 05 01:03 am Link

Photographer

David Scherer

I agree with a website being essential. Without a website, it's really hard to see someone as professional. Also, if someone has a website, you know they are serious about their work because they invested money in a site. (Usually)

I'm a customer of GoDaddy.com and all I can say is they are the best host I've ever used. I use the 3.95 USD / month hosting plan and it's plenty. A quick tip: Use the Linux w/PHP hosting plan, as with that you can add your own gallery system really easy.

For example, take a look at http://www.brennan-barrett.com/gallery/. That is a site I designed and I took a freely available (GPL Licensed) image gallery and modified it to streamline into Brennan's website. It looks neat and clean, and you can go in and out of the gallery on any page. The really nice thing about that gallery system is that it's easy to setup and solves one of the biggest issues on photography websites: Updating photos.

With this gallery, all you do is resize your photos you want to add, upload it to the gallery and stick it in the correct Album as per the image type (Fashion, Art etc.,) and it's done. No html editing required and it's quick and easy. I was going to design Brennan's Gallery manually but after much thought I bit the bullet and modified the gallery to match his site and save him time. Otherwise everytime he wanted to add photos I would need to edit the html and do a bunch of work.

http://coppermine.sourceforge.net/ is the website for this gallery system. The inital setup proccess might be duanting but once it's done it will save you a tonne of time.

Also, GoDaddy, with the basic hosting plan offers free e-mail addresses that use your domain name so you are not paying extra. It's a great bonus. One tip: Buy a year's worth of hosting, it's much cheaper than going monthly.

`Fragile Avatar

Aug 16 05 01:42 am Link

Model

sthompson

David Scherer wrote:
I agree with a website being essential. Without a website, it's really hard to see someone as professional. Also, if someone has a website, you know they are serious about their work because they invested money in a site. (Usually)

I'm a customer of GoDaddy.com and all I can say is they are the best host I've ever used. I use the 3.95 USD / month hosting plan and it's plenty. A quick tip: Use the Linux w/PHP hosting plan, as with that you can add your own gallery system really easy.

For example, take a look at http://www.brennan-barrett.com/gallery/. That is a site I designed and I took a freely available (GPL Licensed) image gallery and modified it to streamline into Brennan's website. It looks neat and clean, and you can go in and out of the gallery on any page. The really nice thing about that gallery system is that it's easy to setup and solves one of the biggest issues on photography websites: Updating photos.

With this gallery, all you do is resize your photos you want to add, upload it to the gallery and stick it in the correct Album as per the image type (Fashion, Art etc.,) and it's done. No html editing required and it's quick and easy. I was going to design Brennan's Gallery manually but after much thought I bit the bullet and modified the gallery to match his site and save him time. Otherwise everytime he wanted to add photos I would need to edit the html and do a bunch of work.

http://coppermine.sourceforge.net/ is the website for this gallery system. The inital setup proccess might be duanting but once it's done it will save you a tonne of time.

Also, GoDaddy, with the basic hosting plan offers free e-mail addresses that use your domain name so you are not paying extra. It's a great bonus. One tip: Buy a year's worth of hosting, it's much cheaper than going monthly.

`Fragile Avatar

Yeah, that's why I made the one page PHP/MySQL...you upload whatever you want (naming convention), add a record to a database table (like Excel) and you're done...you can see the results here:

(Use the login: MM_TEST)

http://www.pchacker.com/personal/kids_p … ame=2004Q4

You can traverse through the years/quarters and you'll see that the pages are from a single script...no script modification, but each page has diff nbr of pics, styles, quote, auther...all database driven.  (Could have done the graphic, background, etc. the same way as well, but that would have just been silly.

I'm putting together another version for the family that will have description, date, etc. on the blow up (click the picture) as well as a link to an online development so we can stop having to ship out tons of prints to family that probably just put them in a drawer...and yes, I know I'm about 2Quarters behind...swamped...bad Daddy, bad Daddy...

But your's looks nice too.

Take care, and God Bless,
Shawn

Aug 16 05 01:51 am Link

Photographer

Snorkel

New York, New York, US

I dont think your a professional unless you have a real website. Your name or company name. Not those Geocities, Yahoo addresses. People are right - invest in the $8 or even $150.00 to host dollars a year. Its a great too.

Being professional is not all about the pictures you take.

Its not expensive and your site doesn't need to be flashy. I had no idea how to make a webpage and I designed my own site www.seansiegel.com - its currently version 54 (haha) but its looking alot better these days - still has room to grow but I just learned from a webpage for dummies book basically.

(The actual galleries are generated by a program)

Aug 16 05 08:11 pm Link

Photographer

KoolGirlieStuff

Gainesville, Florida, US

Last offer I had to build my website was about $5,000........I told the guy to STUFF it!

To have a simple site, with a flash intro and music, should`nt cost thousands of dollars.....the outrageous and ridiculous prices charged for the building of websites is the main reason why I don`t have a website........I think it might help me?  but I`ve been working over 10 years without one, so unless I can get a good deal on building one I`ll stay without one, a website`s not the most important thing to photography.......Man Ray, Richard Avedon, Henri Cartier-Bresson and many other`s did`nt have a website to be important, or professional........ the internet is a great tool for networking and contacting people, but I have way more important things to invest my money into....like that NEW lens for my Leica

Aug 16 05 10:11 pm Link

Photographer

Columbus Photo

Columbus, Georgia, US

KoolGirlieStuff wrote:
Man Ray, Richard Avedon, Henri Cartier-Bresson and many other`s did`nt have a website to be important, or professional

Well, the web wasn't around when Man Ray and Henri C-B were shooting.  And Avedon does have a web site:

http://www.richardavedon.com/menu.php

It's not a big deal to build your own with a program like MS Frontpage, or skip the flash and have someone do it for you reasonable.

Paul

Aug 17 05 12:04 am Link

Photographer

alexwh

Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

Paul Ferrara wrote:

Well, the web wasn't around when Man Ray and Henri C-B were shooting.  And Avedon does have a web site:

It's not a big deal to build your own with a program like MS Frontpage, or skip the flash and have someone do it for you reasonable.

Paul

Paul who is hosting Richard Avedon's site, St Michael or the Angel Gabriel?

Aug 17 05 12:34 am Link

Photographer

alexwh

And on the more serious side I have agonized over having a web site for years. For a while I thought the jury was out. For the last few years I have depended on a strong web presence (just Google alex waterhouse-hayward) but then I realized there was a certain market I was not getting. Since then I  have had a website designed and I have only to put pics in CDs and take them to my designer. My website will be subdivided into:

1. Commercial and editorial
2. Fine art ( I will not sell on the web since I am represented by two galleries)
3. A third section ( I am not too sure how I am going to do this) promoting the extremely lucrative portraiture by appointment only.
4. That I write.

The web site will have no movement but I will have a blog and a picture of the day (or the week, or whenever I want to change it)

I have been studying both MM and OMP for the last two months to see how pictures are viewed and which ones are viewed. It has been a most useful experience.

Aug 17 05 12:42 am Link

Photographer

rexyinc

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia

alexwh wrote:
I have been studying both MM and OMP for the last two months to see how pictures are viewed and which ones are viewed. It has been a most useful experience.

dude, I could of saved you two months work..

Anything online with b(.)(.)bies will be viewed by a factor of approxamately at least 184.36 times over any technically perfect image. big_smile

Later dude,
Rexy

Aug 17 05 12:52 am Link

Photographer

alexwh

rexyinc wrote:

dude, I could of saved you two months work..

Anything online with b(.)(.)bies will be viewed by a factor of approxamately at least 184.36 times over any technically perfect image. big_smile

Later dude,
Rexy

Rexy, there was an image that was viewed very little until I turned it upside down. I also like the convenience on how one manages one port. I was new at this. It took me over a week to figure out how to post an image right here such as this one of Johnny Thunders. I felt quite proud of myself when I did it.
https://www.modelmayhem.com/pics/20050815/5/4301705b8392b.jpg

Aug 17 05 01:00 am Link

Photographer

photosbydmp

Shepparton-Mooroopna, Victoria, Australia

domain names are a snap, try getting some one to design a website for you, WITHOUT RIPPING YOUR CONTENT AND YOUR MONEY, EVERY TIME, WITHOUT FAIL .

Aug 17 05 01:07 am Link

Photographer

Christopher Wright

Lansing, Michigan, US

XtremeArtists wrote:
I'll be happy to put one together for anyone who needs one.

I might have to take you up on that offer. I have had the domain name for a few months but know very little about building a website.

Aug 17 05 06:36 am Link

Photographer

RemonBerkersPhotography

Alkmaar, Noord-Holland, Netherlands

i dont have a website i,m just here and at www.gmork666.deviantart.com/gallery
so what do you think of my art? am i proff enough for my own website lol ?

Aug 17 05 07:43 am Link

Photographer

KoolGirlieStuff

Gainesville, Florida, US

Paul Ferrara wrote:

Paul

Paul I`m NOT STUPID....ok? What I said about Man Ray and the rest was sarcastic, and Richard Avedon has passed away in 2004.....and he didn`t need a website to make him what he was

My point here is you don`t NEED a website to be professional and to make it professionally, it`s a nice networking tool and for promo, but for what I ask for and what the designers charge, they can keep it......and I seriously don`t have time to design one myself, if someone can make me a fair deal, without being greedy then I`ll have one, but until then....

Aug 17 05 09:24 am Link

Photographer

Snorkel

New York, New York, US

KoolGirlieStuff wrote:

Paul I`m NOT STUPID....ok? What I said about Man Ray and the rest was sarcastic, and Richard Avedon has passed away in 2004.....and he didn`t need a website to make him what he was

My point here is you don`t NEED a website to be professional and to make it professionally, it`s a nice networking tool and for promo, but for what I ask for and what the designers charge, they can keep it......and I seriously don`t have time to design one myself, if someone can make me a fair deal, without being greedy then I`ll have one, but until then....

Wake up

Having a site is a must if you plan to work professionally. Its starting to replace portfolios. More people now look at sites then portfolios. You can view Fine Art photography from galleries, artists, commercial, fashion, etc. Not to mention if you are photographing people how impressed they are when you go my website is www.whatever.com and not www.yahoo.com/albums/maxteruser3945/fas … shoot.html

Samething with Deviantart, Geocities, Model Mayhem, OMP, Photo Net Etc. These are networking, critique spots and not personal websites.

Get a college design student (Junior or Senior) to do your site - Will cost way under $1,000 - I have a friend who designs corpate sites and sites for movie studios such as Warner Brothers, Dreamworks, etc and when he started getting work he charge $500 for the same kind of site that Warner Brothers paid ?????? for.

I designed my own website. It just took some learning and playing around.

Its not impossible and it moves you to the next level and if your not looking for commercial work - its a must.

Aug 17 05 12:17 pm Link

Photographer

KoolGirlieStuff

Gainesville, Florida, US

MojoHamuki wrote:

Wake up

Having a site is a must if you plan to work professionally. Its starting to replace portfolios. More people now look at sites then portfolios. You can view Fine Art photography from galleries, artists, commercial, fashion, etc. Not to mention if you are photographing people how impressed they are when you go my website is www.whatever.com and not www.yahoo.com/albums/maxteruser3945/fas … shoot.html

Samething with Deviantart, Geocities, Model Mayhem, OMP, Photo Net Etc. These are networking, critique spots and not personal websites.

Get a college design student (Junior or Senior) to do your site - Will cost way under $1,000 - I have a friend who designs corpate sites and sites for movie studios such as Warner Brothers, Dreamworks, etc and when he started getting work he charge $500 for the same kind of site that Warner Brothers paid ?????? for.

I designed my own website. It just took some learning and playing around.

Its not impossible and it moves you to the next level and if your not looking for commercial work - its a must.

My point was and still is you DON`T need a website to be professional, *I`m not an INTERNET photographer*
I think that a website  might help, and be a good networking tool, but my work`s gone all over the world WITHOUT having a website for now
I`m honestly not  going to pay the crazy prices they want to charge to design for you.........why don`t you pass along the contact for this designer who worked on WB`s and Dreamworks websites and charges $500 for a complete site that`s afforable.......

Aug 17 05 12:53 pm Link