Forums > Photography Talk > Photographers without websites ...

Wardrobe Stylist

Basheer

Palo Alto, California, US

It's amazing how many photographers only have a OMP or MM or other similar portfolio page but not their own domain name or their own website??? Don't they know it only costs something like $8/year for a domain name and a few bucks/month for hosting these days?

Aug 11 05 11:30 pm Link

Photographer

XtremeArtists

I'll be happy to put one together for anyone who needs one.

Aug 11 05 11:31 pm Link

Photographer

Chuck Holliday

New York, New York, US

i used to offer to do it for others but their egos get in the way, so i figured why just put my nose in the air. i guess $100 was too much to invest, right?

some people i guess just feel like they are "beneath" having a website of their own, ya know?

Aug 11 05 11:33 pm Link

Photographer

Brian Diaz

Danbury, Connecticut, US

I must say it was mega awesome the first time I told someone my email address was [email protected].  None of that [email protected] crap.

Aug 11 05 11:36 pm Link

Wardrobe Stylist

Basheer

Now this makes no sense ... "beneath having a website" ...

Reason I asked is that a photographer sent us their Yahoo Photos page to show some samples of their work and when we politely asked if they had their website with some larger photos, he got really mad and told us to f___ off.

Aug 11 05 11:40 pm Link

Photographer

Arizona Shoots

Phoenix, Arizona, US

I got my own website, but it is such a pain in the ass to update.. I find it easier to update my MM and OMP pages... And with the ease of updating my MM page I find that I am neglecting my OMP page more and more.

The coolest part about having my own website though, I gotta agree with Mr Diaz is that my e-mail address is [email protected].. Easy for people to remember.

And I find a lot of people ask me how the hell I got that e-mail address.. Ego boost to say the least.

Aug 11 05 11:45 pm Link

Photographer

Brian Diaz

Danbury, Connecticut, US

I'm just pissed that there was a Brian Diaz in Jersey who was faster than I at snagging the domain.

And he's not doing anything with it!

Aug 11 05 11:48 pm Link

Wardrobe Stylist

Basheer

John Jebbia wrote:
I got my own website, but it is such a pain in the ass to update.. I find it easier to update my MM and OMP pages... And with the ease of updating my MM page I find that I am neglecting my OMP page more and more.

The coolest part about having my own website though, I gotta agree with Mr Diaz is that my e-mail address is [email protected].. Easy for people to remember.

And I find a lot of people ask me how the hell I got that e-mail address.. Ego boost to say the least.

What you need is a provider that gives your own website with a content management system that lets you update it yourself.

Aug 11 05 11:49 pm Link

Photographer

rexyinc

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia

IMOH models n togs should think about using  .info domains instead of .com's

modelname.info comes across more personal and less commerical.

.info domain names only cost $2.99usd yr/ with free hosting or domain redirect to your MM or omp pages. I might be able to get you a $1 discount on that if your interested in one, but hurry my coupon is only good for the next 48 hours, and that timer started 6 hours ago...

MM mail me for info big_smile

Rexy INC.

Aug 11 05 11:51 pm Link

Wardrobe Stylist

Basheer

Go to www.godaddy.com for the best prices for domain names ...

Aug 11 05 11:54 pm Link

Photographer

rexyinc

Basheer wrote:
Go to www.godaddy.com for the best prices for domain names ...

Really? just checked, they are selling .info domains for $9.95 mate... my guys must be having a tuff time competing i guess.

next..

Aug 12 05 12:04 am Link

Wardrobe Stylist

Basheer

Where can you get the domain and hosting for $2.99/year?

Aug 12 05 12:05 am Link

Photographer

XtremeArtists

Basheer wrote:
What you need is a provider that gives your own website with a content management system that lets you update it yourself.

A template? Kind of defeats the purpose of having a site intead of using MM.

Most designers offer packages that include monthly updates, and unique design options a content management system can't compete with.

Aug 12 05 12:08 am Link

Photographer

Brian Diaz

Danbury, Connecticut, US

rexyinc wrote:
IMOH models n togs should think about using  .info domains instead of .com's

modelname.info comes across more personal and less commerical.

To me, anything that isn't .com sounds like they were too late to get what they really wanted (excepting schools, government, and charitable organizations).  Also, my hands know how to type .com without my thinking about it at all.  That can't be said for .info.  But that's just me.

(Also, I want people to think of my photography as commercial.)

Aug 12 05 12:12 am Link

Wardrobe Stylist

Basheer

Unless you pay $20K for something really different (and not necessarily better), everything is basically driven from a template of one kind or another ... with slight modifications in style or colors perhaps ...

The point is that it shouldn't contain a bunch of ads for someone else - why should you showcasing your work bring revenue to someone else - or worse yet, perhaps send them to a competitor site - and it shouldn't have some other sites header ...

Getting a domain name to only point it to MM or OMP doesn't add much value to a potential client, you might as well save the $8/year.

Look at the work from this company www.group94.com - they do amazing work but the average cost of their sites is around $10K to $15K - yes $15,000 USD (plus hosting) but it offers a system to manage your own content.

Aug 12 05 12:14 am Link

Photographer

XtremeArtists

Brian Diaz wrote:
To me, anything that isn't .com sounds like they were too late to get what they really wanted (excepting schools, government, and charitable organizations).  Also, my hands know how to type .com without my thinking about it at all.  That can't be said for .info.  But that's just me.

(Also, I want people to think of my photography as commercial.)

People don't think about .info (.org .biz etc.) so they will never remember it.

People remmber the name (i.e. eBay, Yahoo, Google etc...) and then type .com.

Also, if you just type the name into the URL window, it will usually default to .com.

Aug 12 05 12:16 am Link

Photographer

XtremeArtists

Basheer wrote:
Unless you pay $20K for something really different (and not necessarily better), everything is basically driven from a template of one kind or another ... with slight modifications in style or colors perhaps ...

I'm talking about the front end. Not every design is from a template. Some designers actually work with each image and develop the color scheme for graphic elements from the images as well as graphic elements that play of off recurring motifs etc.. etc..

Photographer's want their work to be in magazines, so they need to present their work in a very sophisticated and individualized fashion that just isn't possible with a content management system. The layout can't easily change to compliment the images from month to month.

Aug 12 05 12:22 am Link

Photographer

Arizona Shoots

Phoenix, Arizona, US

Basheer wrote:

The point is that it shouldn't contain a bunch of ads for someone else - why should you showcasing your work bring revenue to someone else - or worse yet, perhaps send them to a competitor site - and it shouldn't have some other sites header ...

Getting a domain name to only point it to MM or OMP doesn't add much value to a potential client, you might as well save the $8/year.

Look at the work from this company www.group94.com - they do amazing work but the average cost of their sites is around $10K to $15K - yes $15,000 USD (plus hosting) but it offers a system to manage your own content.

My website doesn't do that. See for yourself: http://www.johnjebbia.com

I'm just saying it's a hassle to open up dreamweaver and put the new pictures on it, therefore it gets neglected.

Aug 12 05 12:23 am Link

Photographer

Michael Gundelach

Hamburg, Hamburg, Germany

John Jebbia wrote:

My website doesn't do that. See for yourself: http://www.johnjebbia.com

I'm just saying it's a hassle to open up dreamweaver and put the new pictures on it, therefore it gets neglected.

First to pay 10 - 20 K the site must be in business a long time and pay it's dues. Second yes - it is a hassle to change dreamweaver portfolios and it's neither worth the time or the programm (when you use dreamweaver you should legally own it...). Third - you can easily put nice stuff on a "Go Daddy" site without all this fancy gadgets and make it look good anyway (chek: www.lindsayjolly.com)

And last you shouldn't pay too much for it...

Aug 12 05 12:27 am Link

Photographer

Brian Diaz

Danbury, Connecticut, US

Basheer wrote:
Look at the work from this company www.group94.com

I'm sorry, but at $15K a pop, you'd think that they could afford to put a mute button on their own site.  It was open for about 12 seconds because no one, but no one gets to interrupt Louis and Ella without asking.  Especially with airplane exhaust noise.

Aug 12 05 12:29 am Link

Photographer

Glamour Boulevard

Sacramento, California, US

Basheer wrote:
It's amazing how many photographers only have a OMP or MM or other similar portfolio page but not their own domain name or their own website??? Don't they know it only costs something like $8/year for a domain name and a few bucks/month for hosting these days?

I have one. Two in fact. One for my old business name which I am selling off due to some confusion with another company of the same name, and the new one which I am designing with a flash as well as HTML version called GlamourBoulevard.com
I know some basic HTML but the flash is the doozie,whew.My brain hurts thinking about learning it,lol.

Aug 12 05 12:29 am Link

Photographer

rexyinc

Hartsoe wrote:
(chek: www.lindsayjolly.com)

UGH FRAMES!@!!!!@!!!!

( is accually sitting right this very moment - in class - learning flash!..

onClipEvent(enterFrame){

_root.dolphin_mc._x = _root.dolphin_mc._x + dolphinSpeed
          _root.dolphin_mc._y = _root.dolphin_mc._y + dolphinSpeed
          _root.dolphin_mc._width = _root.dolphin_mc._width + dolphinSpeed
          _root.dolphin_mc._height = _root.dolphin_mc._height + dolphinSpeed
          _root.dolphin_mc._rotation = _root.dolphin_mc._rotation + dolphinSpeed

}

oh i luv it big_smile
rexy Inc

Aug 12 05 12:30 am Link

Photographer

Glamour Boulevard

Basheer wrote:

I also should let all photographers  know, I also have a server with very cheap hosting packages, especially for artists.

Aug 12 05 12:31 am Link

Photographer

Michael Gundelach

rexyinc wrote:
UGH FRAMES!@!!!!@!!!!

LOL - I told you it shouldn't cost too much... smile )

And I was too lazy for CSS this time - but work on it... smile )

Aug 12 05 12:32 am Link

Photographer

Brian Diaz

Danbury, Connecticut, US

John Jebbia wrote:

My site has each photo titled based on its location on the site.  That way, all I have to do is FTP a new photo with the right name into the images folder.  Very drag and drop.

Wardrobe Stylist

Basheer

They can charge those prices because flash sites cost far more than HTML ones, not only do you need the $600 program, it requires some serious programming ability to make a flash site that is updateable yourself ...

Photographer

rexyinc

opps forgot.

onClipEvent(load){

var dolphinSpeed = -1

}

sorry

Aug 12 05 12:33 am Link

Photographer

Michael Gundelach

Oh noo - please!! No more flash sites - games - etc....

I have flashes everywhere - even during my shoots...

Aug 12 05 12:34 am Link

Photographer

rexyinc

anyone know if i can put my flash app im workin on here?.. like we can with [img ] like?

rexy

Aug 12 05 12:34 am Link

Photographer

Michael Gundelach

I seriously doubt you can - I don't know any BB tag which will load and execute the code...

Furthermore I don't think it's desired by Tyhler or the other mods...

Aug 12 05 12:36 am Link

Photographer

Brian Diaz

Danbury, Connecticut, US

rexyinc wrote:
anyone know if i can put my flash app im workin on here?.. like we can with [img ] like?

rexy

Dear Lord, I hope not.  (No offense, but think of all the crap people would post.)

Aug 12 05 12:36 am Link

Photographer

rexyinc

_root.dolphin_mc._rotation = _root.dolphin_mc._rotation + dolphinSpeed + 50

Hey, do you see the algebra!? And you thought you would never use it.

rexy big_smile

Aug 12 05 12:37 am Link

Photographer

Glamour Boulevard

Basheer wrote:

20k is somewhat of an exaggeration. Go to google and type  website templates in quotation marks, you will find many good template selling sites which offer copies of a template for as little as 5-10 bucks, or exclusive, meaning you buy the rights to be the only one with that design, for 100 bucks or cheaper at times. The most expensive exclusive template I have seen on these sites is about 2-4k.
I bought my template from templatemonsters.com
One thing you will find is most template sites that are well known all have basically the same templates but maybe a tiny difference in price. You can actually become a template reseller yourself. A lot of the big template sites get their templates from one big template company. Then once they start making a profit they start to have people design them for resale on the site and the designer gets most of the money.

Aug 12 05 12:37 am Link

Wardrobe Stylist

Basheer

Those templates require that you own flash and know enough to modify it yourself. Not with group94, you just login and add/edit photos as you want and update other content with it.

Aug 12 05 12:38 am Link

Photographer

XtremeArtists

Basheer wrote:
They can charge those prices because flash sites cost far more than HTML ones, not only do you need the $600 program, it requires some serious programming ability to make a flash site that is updateable yourself ...

Flash sites are money makers, but once a visitor comes to a site for the second time, the last thing they want to worry about is waiting for Flash to load and watching the same reveals and effects they saw the first time.

Most user experience studies I have seen indicate that Flash sites are mostly popular with the people who sell them.

Aug 12 05 12:43 am Link

Wardrobe Stylist

Basheer

Not if its designed correctly to load "on-demand" ... flash can provide a far more professional and smoother flow than HTML sites which constantly reload with each click ...

Aug 12 05 12:46 am Link

Photographer

XtremeArtists

Basheer wrote:
Not if its designed correctly to load "on-demand" ... flash can provide a far more professional and smoother flow than HTML sites which constantly reload with each click ...

That's not correct if the HTML site is correctly coded.

Aug 12 05 12:53 am Link

Photographer

Brian Diaz

Danbury, Connecticut, US

I'm totally just a browser (which may represent "customers" to website owners...) but here's how I feel:  I like good HTML and dislike bad HTML, but I love good Flash and HATE bad Flash.

Aug 12 05 12:56 am Link

Photographer

guzx

Los Angeles, California, US

well if you need a website what you could do is build one in Tripod.com. i started like that then i got my domain. but for beginner i think www.tripod.com might work for now. is easy to use.

Aug 12 05 12:58 am Link

Wardrobe Stylist

Basheer

I'm not saying you can't get a very good smooth flowing site with HTML, you can, just as you can with Flash ...

Flash does offer some options you can't do with HTML but that doesn't mean Flash is always slow and HTML is fast.

Ultimately, a good design (Flash or HTML) will shine and make the person look good ... its a good investment to have a nice site, but don't go pay $10K, search google and you'll find lots of choices ...

Time to call it a night smile

Aug 12 05 12:59 am Link