Azimuth Arts wrote:

+1
(especially A and E)

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/artic … ustry.html

Jan 12 12 04:42 pm Link

Model

Amelia Talon

Seattle, Washington, US

It's an equal rights issue you guys! We need to have the whole rainbow of eating disorders equalized. Publish them all.

Jan 12 12 05:47 pm Link

Photographer

BeautybyGod

Los Angeles, California, US

Fotografica Gregor wrote:
That should be corrected to read: "the Disparity between American Women and Models" -    if you walk through the streets of many European cities you will see what I mean pretty quickly.....

exactly.

i don't suppose that PLUS magazine has an agenda or anything. smile

maybe MacDonalds sponsored the article.

https://www.hallphoto.com/post/euro_vs_america.jpg

Jan 12 12 06:55 pm Link

Photographer

RacerXPhoto

Brooklyn, New York, US

Maria Michaela wrote:
3. again with the real women thing? Are fashion models made of plastic or something?

Cylons
...possibly fembots ???

Jan 12 12 06:56 pm Link

Photographer

Mike Birger Photography

Eldersburg, Maryland, US

Nedah Oyin wrote:
fashion models areNOT getting skinnier.. regular women are getting fatter.. this article is pretty obviously going for shock value..

+1

Jan 12 12 07:02 pm Link

Photographer

MichaelClements

Adelaide, South Australia, Australia

Nedah Oyin wrote:
fashion models areNOT getting skinnier.. regular women are getting fatter.. this article is pretty obviously going for shock value..

Yup

Jan 12 12 07:09 pm Link

Model

Koryn

Boston, Massachusetts, US

BeautybyGod wrote:

Agency-signed plus models do NOT look like the obese woman in the photo you just posted.

Jan 12 12 07:10 pm Link

Photographer

SEQUOIA NATIONAL PARK, California, US

BeautybyGod wrote:

ShivaKitty wrote:
Agency-signed plus models do NOT look like the obese woman in the photo you just posted.

and there's the disparity the author was seeking but clearly misunderstood.

/end

Jan 12 12 07:45 pm Link

Photographer

S W I N S K E Y

Saint Petersburg, Florida, US

for the record, every female model i know of is a "real" woman....

Jan 12 12 07:51 pm Link

Model

Christina__Smith

Modesto, California, US

"offers shocking insight into the disparity between models and the real-life women they are purporting to represent."

this is odd to me - i never thought of fashion models as representatives of the female sex....maybe representatives of the designers they are wearing but thats about it. Its not new that fashion models are tall and thin.

Jan 12 12 07:57 pm Link

Model

Abigail Rose Hill

Newcastle upon Tyne, England, United Kingdom

When did the big fashion houses start giving two hoots about whether Jo Public could fit in to, or look good in, their creations? Nine times out of ten, the sheer price of the pieces makes them unattainable to the majority. Couture to me is more like this desirable but unattainable fantasy - it's an artistic expression, that I can admire but know realistically I would never be able to carry off in the real world.

When it comes to ready-to-wear, I personally don't give a monkeys who is modelling what and what size they are - as long as they are HEALTHY. Really, some people are naturally 5'10 and size 2, in the same way some people are naturally 5'10 and size 12. A lot of the time, a size 12 model may look very different to a size 12 woman on the street - largely due to height. You're never going to get a true representation of the range of sizes, shapes and proportions out there in the real world, so the modelling industry has gone with what seems to flatter the clothes the most, and stuck with them.

Jan 13 12 03:19 am Link

Photographer

Selentia-Group

Tara, Queensland, Australia

Well of course we are all fat. I'm up to XXXXXXXXL, because my shirts are made in china where their body types are XXXXXXXS. Thank christ for globalisation and cheap arsed labour, different global dress sizes that have to go through three different interpretations, the third party importation process and on line retailers who suck it all up. Government studies clearly indicate we are fat.

Jan 13 12 05:41 am Link

Photographer

John Fisher

Miami Beach, Florida, US

I'm sorry, if Fox said the sun rises in the east today, I'd look to the west.

I couldn't get past this silliness:

"The magazine reveals that some of today’s plus size models are wearing the same size as models Christie Brinkley, Paulina Porizkova and Cindy Crawford at the height of their fame in the 1990s. Zharkova, 28, wears a size 14."

https://www.johnfisher.com/images/006273574.jpg
Paulina Porizkova, SI Swimsuit Cover (Paulina would clearly be a plus size model today!)

Paulina is model thin, even today. She might have been listed as a size 6 (US) when she modeled, but that was because they changed US sizes sometime in the 90's and a size 6 became a size 2 today and a size 8 became a size 4 (European sizes have never changed, I don't believe). While both Cindy and Christie were known for being a little bigger (listed as size 8 back then), they would be no larger than a size 4 (US) today.

This whole story is a bunch of poorly researched hooey.

John
--
John Fisher
900 West Avenue, Suite 633
Miami Beach, Florida 33139
305 534-9322
http://www.johnfisher.com

Jan 13 12 07:10 am Link

Photographer

R A V E N D R I V E

New York, New York, US

hahaha...

real women are 15% fatter

you have to leave your big cities to see this... GO TO THE AMERICAN MIDWEST, I urge you all, thats where the stereotypical cows are in abundance

you won't see them in the heavily filmed areas of the US... LA and NYC... they are in the midwestern united states in great abundance

Jan 13 12 07:31 am Link

Model

Anna Adrielle

Antwerp, Antwerp, Belgium

That should be corrected to read: "the Disparity between American Women and Models" -    if you walk through the streets of many European cities you will see what I mean pretty quickly.....

I saw a study in a German magazine not long ago about the average dress size of a 30 year old woman by nation -  there were plenty of countries where this is a "4" or less....

not necessarily. the average dutch woman for instance has a size 12. not cause she's fat, but because the dutch people are among the tallest in the world, so a size 12 just looks like a normal size there.

Jan 14 12 11:23 am Link

Photographer

Bare Essential Photos

Upland, California, US

I don't see how they can say that there's a disparity between models and women. Models come in sizes 0,2,4,6,8,10,12,14, and 16. It simply depends on what kind of genre one is referring to when using the word, "model."

Gabby

Jan 14 12 01:19 pm Link

Photographer

S

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, US

R A V E N D R I V E wrote:
hahaha...

real women are 15% fatter

you have to leave your big cities to see this... GO TO THE AMERICAN MIDWEST, I urge you all, thats where the stereotypical cows are in abundance

you won't see them in the heavily filmed areas of the US... LA and NYC... they are in the midwestern united states in great abundance

Moo.

Jan 14 12 02:20 pm Link

Model

Brightonn

New Orleans, Louisiana, US

I def. agree, with my fine art background I would say this rings of a rubenesque Romantic era painting, and the image is Reilly beautiful, but I wouldn't want to see her on the runway.  I think the realm of model is opening up currently yet retaining the features sought out in models that give it the power it holds in the modern world and the field of design.

ShivaKitty wrote:
Considering how it's gradually becoming more commonplace to see plus-size models in ads, in magazines, and how we have reached a point where certain plus-size models are relatively well known and admired by the mainstream ... I think it's a reach to say that the media is "afraid" of publicizing these women. Perhaps certain media outlets, yes, but definitely not all.

Not long ago, I was leafing through a women's magazine in a waiting room, and there was a plus-size underwear model in an advertisement for a mainstream lingerie product. I was somewhat surprised, because the last time I looked through those types of magazines was when I was a teenager in the 90s and I don't remember ever really seeing fuller-figured women in used in ads back then. In 1997, when I was a teenager, leafing through my mom's magazines, it was all Kate Moss and heroine chic.

Can't recall seeing anything like this 15 years ago:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/01/0 … 11604.html

Jan 15 12 04:50 pm Link

Model

Bella la Bell

Kansas City, Missouri, US

Nedah Oyin wrote:

you made me giggle. big_smile

Jan 15 12 04:57 pm Link

Photographer

Bare Essential Photos

Upland, California, US

To Brightonn -- Wow, I just visited that link. Some of those models on it are the most beautiful women in the world!

Gabby

Jan 15 12 04:58 pm Link

Photographer

nyk fury

Port Townsend, Washington, US

this is a tired old subject. people are fat these days. picking on coat hanger models makes them feel better. one thing that these dummies don't seem to realize is that it is not about the models in the first place. it is about design. bigger models draw attention away from the design to the model herself.

Jan 15 12 05:07 pm Link

Model

Tansy Blue

Brighton, England, United Kingdom

I hated that editorial. I think that all body shapes should be appreciated, and that editorial just didn't do it. The plus model was shown smiling, happy, engaged with the camera; we never even saw the straight size model's face. I don't think she was even credited alongside the plus model. I'd love to see all body sizes treated equally by all people...so far it just doesn't seem to be happening.

I like this better:
http://a3.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos- … 0070_n.jpg

Jan 15 12 05:35 pm Link

Photographer

moving pictures

Paris, Île-de-France, France

Ha...

What a BS article. The "big" model in the shoot is fat.  That's the bottom line.  No wonder magazines didn't want to publish it.  And to claim that the former supermodels were as overweight as the model in the editorial is either hallucinatory or downright deceitful.

Fashion is aspirational.   Women don't aspire to be as overweight as the model in those images.  That's why those "big" models don't sell.

Jan 15 12 05:55 pm Link

Photographer

Andrew Iverson Media

River Falls, Wisconsin, US

"they changed US sizes sometime in the 90's"

Going by sizes is silly for this reason. You'd really have to go by all the measurements and weights. Not only do sizes change, but so do styles, if you know any fashion history this is obvious. What is considered difficult to attain is what becomes desirable.

I do feel i have to say though that some of the insults to larger size women here is appalling. It's no different than the people calling the thin models anorexic. 

All women are real women.

Jan 15 12 06:07 pm Link

Photographer

Fotografica Gregor

Alexandria, Virginia, US

Maria Michaela wrote:

not necessarily. the average dutch woman for instance has a size 12. not cause she's fat, but because the dutch people are among the tallest in the world, so a size 12 just looks like a normal size there.

Hmm -  I would be that a size 12 in Holland is not the same as a US Size 12 -   interestingly, back in the late 80s,  sizes in the US got "super-sized" - what was a 10-12 in Marilyn Monroe's day is labeled as a 7-8 in the US now.

Jan 15 12 06:17 pm Link

Model

Anna Adrielle

Hmm -  I would be that a size 12 in Holland is not the same as a US Size 12 -   interestingly, back in the late 80s,  sizes in the US got "super-sized" - what was a 10-12 in Marilyn Monroe's day is labeled as a 7-8 in the US now.

I've heard people mention that... that in the clothes, a model who is a 12 in holland is like an 8-10 in the US. In modelling terms however, a 12 is always a 12.

Jan 16 12 12:45 am Link

Model

Anna Adrielle

moving pictures wrote:
Ha...

What a BS article. The "big" model in the shoot is fat.  That's the bottom line.  No wonder magazines didn't want to publish it.  And to claim that the former supermodels were as overweight as the model in the editorial is either hallucinatory or downright deceitful.

Fashion is aspirational.   Women don't aspire to be as overweight as the model in those images.  That's why those "big" models don't sell.

it was published. in plus model magazine, a magazine featuring plus size models. other magazines didn't publish it because it was already published.

you have no idea if the big model is "fat". that may be your opinion, but it's not a fact. they posed and photographer her in a way to emphasise her "fatness", something they tend to do when plus models get naked.

Jan 16 12 12:48 am Link

Model

Tansy Blue

Brighton, England, United Kingdom

moving pictures wrote:
Ha...

I thought she looked toned and healthy, and I'm jealous of her flexibility. (I aspire to be as flexible as her? There's more to people than their waist measurement.)

Jan 16 12 09:57 am Link

Model

liindsay ann

Cleveland, Ohio, US

IMO, I think the average size woman would be between both of them.. the one seems a little heavier, and the other one is smaller..

Jan 16 12 10:01 am Link

Photographer

dvwrght

Phoenix, Arizona, US

Plus llama Magazine is garbage, isn't it?

Apr 12 12 04:31 pm Link

Model

V Laroche

Khowmeyn, Markazī, Iran

Disparity between models and women? Here I thought I was both at the same time.

Apr 12 12 05:14 pm Link

Photographer

Fashion Photographer

London, England, United Kingdom

V Laroche wrote:
Disparity between models and women? Here I thought I was both at the same time.

IMPOSSIBLE

Apr 12 12 05:24 pm Link

Photographer

Leighsphotos

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Nedah Oyin wrote:

+1

Apr 12 12 06:09 pm Link

Photographer

Fashion Photographer

London, England, United Kingdom

Article actually has a good point in it.

THe models you see in pictures aren't strictly speaking, real women. They will typically have been digitally altered, substantially.

A trend has emerged, in the last ten years, of making models slimmer and longer-legged in post production. The images are thus of women who don't really exist in the form portrayed. The pictures are not of real women.

Before this became commonplace, the models may have been the same size, but the imagery often included women who were larger than those portrayed in the fashion imagery of today. Sure, there were slimmer women in fashion imagery too. But today we don't have that diversity. The larger women are slimmed in post production.

[img]http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_94wGm5Prdv0/S3hXkojOjRI/AAAAAAAAGdM/r_SHLThb_EY/s400/Cindy Crawford by Helmut Newton.jpg[/img]

https://theworldofphotographers.files.wordpress.com/2012/03/fernand-fonssagrives-4.jpg

v

https://stylecrave.frsucrave.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/02/maryna-linchuck_msp6.jpg
[img]http://prettyandpoor.com/media/Thin_model.png[/img]

Apr 12 12 06:59 pm Link

Model

Little Alice

Chicago, Illinois, US

Joshua Sheldon wrote:
Magazine editorial reveals shocking disparity between sizes of models and real women

http://www.foxnews.com/entertainment/20 … -size-and/

So models are imaginary women?  How about "the average woman?"  Here's a clue people- some people are thin, but they're still REAL people.

Apr 12 12 08:50 pm Link

Photographer

RacerXPhoto

Brooklyn, New York, US

Not real women....?
Cylons ??!!
I knew it!!

Apr 12 12 09:01 pm Link

Model

E M E R S O N

Tucson, Arizona, US

Why are people attacking models? We're just add real as anyone else. While I may not be a size 1, I do know plenty of women who are and happen to be extremely healthy. Look at Kelli for instance, she I'd definitely below BMI "standards" but is perfectly healthy, way healthier than me anyways. American women have been so brain washed into believing that any woman who is tall and thin is anorexic, and because of that, they get pissed off and call every tall and thin model in a magazine anorexic. Not only that, but people are taking the "big and beautiful" thing way too far. I don't care what size you are  , you should absolutely love your body, but when you become so big that you are unhealthy and need a motorized wheel chair to get around, you need to wake up. As long as you are healthy you should be able to take pride in the way you look.

Apr 12 12 09:40 pm Link

Model

Damianne

Austin, Texas, US

There are physical criteria for anorexia?
That sounds stupid and wrong.

Apr 12 12 09:43 pm Link

Model

E M E R S O N

Tucson, Arizona, US

I'm not even going to try and edit that, stupid phone.

Apr 12 12 09:45 pm Link

Model

IDiivil

Los Angeles, California, US

First thing I noticed was that the supposedly anorexic thin lady in the NSFW picture has a body nearly identical to mine in thinness...

... and I'm perfectly healthy. Just can't really skip meals.

Apr 12 12 09:54 pm Link