Forums > Model Colloquy > Magazine reveals disparity between models+women

Model

LizzyB

Rochester, New York, US

i'm sorry, but there really are some models who are underweight/anorexic, and i find that sad because such mental disorders are NEVER a good thing. i think these girls you can usually tell just by looking at them.
BMI is usually a pretty good indicator, but i'll admit it's not totally accurate. There are some women who are below the 19% minimum and who are healthy.  Hence why i think declaring if a model is underweight/anorexic should be taken on a case-by-case basis, and not by numbers alone.

Apr 22 12 07:01 am Link

Photographer

Abbitt Photography

Washington, Utah, US

"shocking insight into the disparity between models and the real-life women they are purporting to represent."

I don't think models and those using models do indeed purport they proportionately represent the physical characteristics and looks of all women.  Being representational is not why most people hire models or display images of models.

The sunsets I photograph and frame don't represent most sunsets. 

Being representational is simply not what most image making is about, so any argument based on that assumption is a inherently flawed argument.

Apr 22 12 09:29 am Link

Photographer

moving pictures

Paris, Île-de-France, France

This is so stupid.

First of... ""shocking insight into the disparity between models and the real-life women they are purporting to represent."  Models are aspirational, not representational.  Most women don't want to look at a cow in a Dior and hope to look like a cow in a Dior.  The dream is... I put on that Dior, I'll look like that lithe model.   

And the "real-life women" comment?  Shessshhhh.  It's just an excuse to make over-weight women feel better about themselves.  Truth is, being overweight isn't attractive and no amount of "opening the minds of the fashion industry" is going to change it.  This was a PR stunt, that's all.  They happen every few months.

As for models going on diets and stressing themselves.  Boo-hoo-hoo.  What professional athletes don't go on strict diets and push their bodies to extremes?  In sports and modeling, you don't get paid to be average.  You're job is to be in the physically .1%

And most models won the DNA lottery to start with, have the physique and bone structure to model.  You know what?  So did all high-end athletes.  So put away the hanky and get real.

Apr 22 12 01:01 pm Link

Model

KCLynne

Omaha, Nebraska, US

moving pictures wrote:
And the "real-life women" comment?  Shessshhhh.  It's just an excuse to make over-weight women feel better about themselves.  Truth is, being overweight isn't attractive and no amount of "opening the minds of the fashion industry" is going to change it.  This was a PR stunt, that's all.  They happen every few months.

Comments like that one actually irritate the hell out of me.  I'm overweight....I've done runway work as a plus model.  I've worked as a standard model.  My size doesn't not reflect beauty or lack there of.  I understand what the average woman is saying.  Someone mentioned that you can be 5'10 and 120lbs and healthy.  Guess what you can also be 5'10 and 220 lbs and healthy.  That person hit the nail on the head with the statement about only a physician can determine healthy.  I've seen countless overweight women (and really, what are we basing overweight on anyway?) who are attractive and beautiful.  Then again, I'm a firm believer that everyone is beautiful.  Frankly, I wish the industry would show more models of VARIOUS sizes since the world is full of people from all shapes and sizes.

Apr 22 12 01:37 pm Link

Photographer

moving pictures

KCLynne wrote:
Comments like that one actually irritate the hell out of me.  I'm overweight....I've done runway work as a plus model.  I've worked as a standard model.  My size doesn't not reflect beauty or lack there of.  I understand what the average woman is saying.  Someone mentioned that you can be 5'10 and 120lbs and healthy.  Guess what you can also be 5'10 and 220 lbs and healthy.  That person hit the nail on the head with the statement about only a physician can determine healthy.  I've seen countless overweight women (and really, what are we basing overweight on anyway?) who are attractive and beautiful.  Then again, I'm a firm believer that everyone is beautiful.  Frankly, I wish the industry would show more models of VARIOUS sizes since the world is full of people from all shapes and sizes.

KC, I'm sorry you find my comments irritating.  That's not the intent.  Honestly is.

The runway work that you did and what the original article was referring are two separate worlds.  Likewise, playing pick-up basketball at the Y does not equate to the demands of being in the NBA.  It doesn't take a physician to say that overweightness is unhealthy as study after study demonstrated that carrying abundantly excessive weight (as the plus-size model did in the original article) is intrinsically unhealthy.  Similar point can be said about the lack of needing a doctor to point out a smoker's health risks.

IMHO, women who say it's okay to be overweight and everyone is beautiful not matter what the poundage, contribute to the obesity problem in America.  I know you'll hate reading that.  It's not PC.  But is what I see.  Words like yours may sooth egos in the short term, but these self-delusions lead to problems in the long term.  I'm originally from a country where it is socially unacceptable for young girls to be fat.  We have lots of problems there, but obesity is not among them

Apr 22 12 03:09 pm Link

Model

Rachael Bueckert

Red Deer, Alberta, Canada

I kind of agree with moving pictures... I mean, beauty is completely in the eye of the beholder, and everyone is beautiful to someone. But beauty and health are two completely different things. If you can't run up a flight of stairs without heaving for breath, your most likely unhealthy, wether your 'skinny' or 'fat'. In fact, physical appearance altogether has little to do with actual physical health.

Apr 22 12 03:56 pm Link

Photographer

Abbitt Photography

Washington, Utah, US

It's precisely the disparity that makes them models and not just average women, not to mention some models aren't women at all and most certainly shouldn't represent women...

Apr 22 12 04:18 pm Link

Model

Damianne

Austin, Texas, US

KCLynne wrote:

The industry isn't about reflecting reality, it's about promoting products as helping create an ideal. So, the problem isn't the industry, it's the consumer. You get society to want to look like a curvier lady, and there will be curvier models.

However, then, there won't be skinnier models. The whole spectrum of marketability would move. Having variety would be stupid for the whole purpose of the industry.

Apr 22 12 04:26 pm Link

Model

KCLynne

Omaha, Nebraska, US

Damianne wrote:
The industry isn't about reflecting reality, it's about promoting products as helping create an ideal. So, the problem isn't the industry, it's the consumer. You get society to want to look like a curvier lady, and there will be curvier models.

However, then, there won't be skinnier models. The whole spectrum of marketability would move. Having variety would be stupid for the whole purpose of the industry.

I didn't say get rid of skinnier models.  Actually I stated the industry should show all shapes and sizes because that's what the rest of the world looks like.  I never said that all overweight women are healthy.  I never said all thin women are unhealthy.  To me weight shouldn't be an issue for ANY woman, and neither should self acceptance.   The issue I have is that through the media, society portrays thin beautiful women as the only way a woman can be accepted in society.   Degrading thin women who are beautiful models doesn't help, but neither does degrading overweight women.  All I'm saying is we are all diverse, and the industry should be to.  Why is that so hard?

Apr 22 12 05:07 pm Link

Photographer

moving pictures

KCLynne wrote:
I didn't say get rid of skinnier models.  Actually I stated the industry should show all shapes and sizes because that's what the rest of the world looks like.  I never said that all overweight women are healthy.  I never said all thin women are unhealthy.  To me weight shouldn't be an issue for ANY woman, and neither should self acceptance.   The issue I have is that through the media, society portrays thin beautiful women as the only way a woman can be accepted in society.  No wonder so many people have eating disorders are over weight.  I've been both sides of the spectrum.  Degrading thin women who are beautiful models doesn't help, but neither does degrading overweight women.  All I'm saying is we are all diverse, and the industry should be to.  Why is that so hard?

It's no hard.  It's just irrelevant.  Fashion is not about reality, nor about promoting social utopia.  It's solely and exclusively about selling dreams the public wants and those dreams are to be young, beautiful, and thin.

Apr 22 12 05:15 pm Link

Model

Damianne

Austin, Texas, US

KCLynne wrote:

I didn't say get rid of skinnier models.  Actually I stated the industry should show all shapes and sizes because that's what the rest of the world looks like.  I never said that all overweight women are healthy.  I never said all thin women are unhealthy.  To me weight shouldn't be an issue for ANY woman, and neither should self acceptance.   The issue I have is that through the media, society portrays thin beautiful women as the only way a woman can be accepted in society.   Degrading thin women who are beautiful models doesn't help, but neither does degrading overweight women.  All I'm saying is we are all diverse, and the industry should be to.  Why is that so hard?

I don't think you read my post.

Apr 22 12 05:17 pm Link

Model

KCLynne

Omaha, Nebraska, US

Damianne wrote:

I don't think you read my post.

Sorry, I went back and reread and realized I misconstrued what you said.  So ok, if the consumer calls the shots the thin models lose out, but the industry has been calling the shots and curvier women (until now) have been losing out.  There is no easy way around it to be honest.  It's a debate that will go on and on.  I still stick by my thoughts that for everyone to be happy, then the industry should be more diverse.  We have models of all ethnicities, why is it so hard to have models of all sizes without fighting over it?

Apr 22 12 05:37 pm Link

Model

Keri Atkins

Portland, Oregon, US

Bah. All sized women are real women. Women, come in all shapes, sizes and heights. Some women are healthy being thinner, some women are healthy being larger. Your perfect weight and size is not my perfect weight and size...ect.

All women, of all sizes, need to have a place to go for fashion. All shapes and sizes need to be represented: that means size 00 models all the way through to the 20's.

As there are more women world wide that wear a size 4 through a size 14, you will see more spreads, articles, heck, fashion in general, catering to those sizes, using models that around those sizes. Its always about demand.

Just my thoughts,

Keri
www.modelfashion.info

Apr 22 12 06:16 pm Link

Model

KCLynne

Omaha, Nebraska, US

Keri Atkins wrote:
Bah. All sized women are real women. Women, come in all shapes, sizes and heights. Some women are healthy being thinner, some women are healthy being larger. Your perfect weight and size is not my perfect weight and size...ect.

All women, of all sizes, need to have a place to go for fashion. All shapes and sizes need to be represented: that means size 00 models all the way through to the 20's.

As there are more women world wide that wear a size 4 through a size 14, you will see more spreads, articles, heck, fashion in general, catering to those sizes, using models that around those sizes. Its always about demand.

Just my thoughts,

Keri
www.modelfashion.info

++

Apr 22 12 06:22 pm Link

Model

Damianne

Austin, Texas, US

KCLynne wrote:
Sorry, I went back and reread and realized I misconstrued what you said.  So ok, if the consumer calls the shots the thin models lose out, but the industry has been calling the shots and curvier women (until now) have been losing out.  There is no easy way around it to be honest.  It's a debate that will go on and on.  I still stick by my thoughts that for everyone to be happy, then the industry should be more diverse.  We have models of all ethnicities, why is it so hard to have models of all sizes without fighting over it?

Curvier models used to be in vogue. That's why Dean Johnson was so popular, she was a new trend.

Curvier models are only recently "losing out".
Not everyone gets to be a model, that's the point of models. Not everyone gets to be happy, that's stupid. It's the opposite of the purpose of a model.

The debate isn't really raging, this isn't really questioned off the internet. I'm more concerned about changing the way the industry's labor laws work, but you can keep raging until everyone gets to win and get a trophy in the industry based on exclusivity, if you'd like.

Apr 22 12 06:26 pm Link

Photographer

Tyler C Johnson

San Diego, California, US

KCLynne wrote:

The consumer has always called the shots because at the end of the day, they are the ones buying the clothes. When the consumers stop responding to advertising featuring skinny models than the industry will change.

Apr 22 12 06:59 pm Link

Photographer

moving pictures

The other way to look at this is to consider the issue of breast size in fashion models.  Nearly all fashion models have small breasts.  Swimsuit models have ample breasts.  While there are exceptions (Lara Stone in fashion) the rule sticks.  It's  mainly because big breasts take attention away from the clothes and fashion photography is ultimately about selling clothes.  The same would go with other body parts: big thighs, big stomach, big butt, etc, would take away from the clothes.

Apr 22 12 11:49 pm Link

Photographer

BT Imagery

Christiansted, Saint Croix, Virgin Islands of the United States

Somewhere in the middle would be nice. Neither one looks particularly attractive to me.

Apr 23 12 06:08 am Link

Model

Scarlett November

Seattle, Washington, US

Oh my god. America refuses to believe that they are getting fatter. Instead, it's everyone else fault.

Get off the damn couch. Love yourself. Stop worring about the girls in magazines who apparently aren't "REAL women." (what a load of hose sh!t)

Not everyone gets to play. That's the point. If models looked like "real women" supposedly do, they wouldn't be different and grab your attention. They wouldn't sell things and then why have models? People are moronic sometimes. *head desk*

Apr 23 12 11:12 am Link

Photographer

Arno Nieuwhof

Ridderkerk, Zuid-Holland, Netherlands

Scarlett Renee wrote:
Oh my god. America refuses to believe that they are getting fatter. Instead, it's everyone else fault.

Get off the damn couch. Love yourself. Stop worring about the girls in magazines who apparently aren't "REAL women." (what a load of hose sh!t)

Not everyone gets to play. That's the point. If models looked like "real women" supposedly do, they wouldn't be different and grab your attention. They wouldn't sell things and then why have models? People are moronic sometimes. *head desk*

I think one thing to consider though is thqt there are plenty of 'fuller'models out there that are anything but average. there's not a lot of average going on here

https://wilhelminamodels.typepad.com/.a/6a00e54f970c598833014e8bc80f1a970d-500wi

the industry is not as simple as people are stating it here. it's not simply about ''young, thin and beautiful''

Apr 24 12 02:50 am Link

Model

Anna Adrielle

Antwerp, Antwerp, Belgium

^^^^^^

grrrr

sorry, post above was from me, I keep forgetting when my boyfriend logged in, sorry!

Apr 24 12 02:56 am Link

Model

K I C K H A M

Los Angeles, California, US

Keri Atkins wrote:

Just my thoughts,

Keri
www.modelfashion.info

Agreed. Not to mention that people can have unhealthy weights (on either side) due to more than eating disorders/ not working out/ etc... why is it OUR job to be all high and mighty and tell them they need to look differently?

Here's my ideal vs reality.

If it were an ideal world: I would hope that all sizes would be used, however, it would still be the "ideal" of those sizes, meaning the girls with proportionally longer legs, the girls with prettier faces, and the girls (especially on the bigger end) would look more in-shape than their same-sized non-models.

Reality: We use, generally, mainstream and plus models, or commercial models that may or may not be otherwise agency standard. When people go outside of these bounds, usually it's either with a girl "close enough" to make an exception, or a girl so different to make a splash (using a size 22 girl on a runway graced otherwise by only fashion-stat girls). Being that, it seems very unlikely that the average 5'5 and size 8-12 girls will get their chance in the spotlight.

Apr 24 12 12:17 pm Link

Model

Venessa Baez

NORTH HOLLYWOOD, California, US

ShivaKitty wrote:
A. I tend to regard everything on the FoxNews site with a high level of cynicism.

B. Women who are 5'10 and 120 pounds are "real women," just like everyone else.

C. Women can be 5'10 and 120 pounds, can be perfectly healthy. That's for a medical professional to decide, not random people looking at pictures.

D. Many people feel "butthurt" when they realize they do not fit idealized beauty standards. Instead of either learning to love their bodies, or working to make changes to themselves, they choose to bitch about the people who do fit those standards.

E. I tend to regard everything on the FoxNews site with a high level of cynicism.

+100.

I'm nowhere near 5' 10" but it's always bothered me when people refer to models as if we're objects or robots without feelings. We're real people too - sure there's some that have bad health habits but that doesn't mean we all do.

Apr 24 12 08:01 pm Link