cameraman K

Brooklyn, New York, US

Jan 28 12 11:48 am Link

Photographer

HJM Photography

Malibu, California, US

cameraman K wrote:
http://www.facebook.com/l.php?u=http%3A … M4GznbIUTA

A lot of photographers could save their jobs by learning how to shoot stills & video @ the same time.

Jan 28 12 11:55 am Link

Photographer

Kevin Russo Photography

Runnemede, New Jersey, US

This is nothing new, it has been going on for a few years now.

Kevin Russo -Photographer
www.KR-Photos.Com

Jan 28 12 12:01 pm Link

Photographer

slave to the lens

Woodland Hills, California, US

What's a newspaper?

Is it that thing like an e-reader, but on actual paper?

How charmingly archaic.

Jan 28 12 12:33 pm Link

Photographer

Dan Howell Tearsheets

Jersey City, New Jersey, US

HJM Photography wrote:

A lot of photographers could save their jobs by learning how to shoot stills & video @ the same time.

really? care to prove that? seriously, quantify that statement with actual facts or admit you don't know what you are talking about.

Jan 28 12 12:39 pm Link

Photographer

HJM Photography

Malibu, California, US

Dan Howell Tearsheets wrote:

really? care to prove that? seriously, quantify that statement with actual facts or admit you don't know what you are talking about.

well, you could use doug mills of the nyt's method:
http://lens.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/07/1 … e-at-once/

or our method:
http://9shooter.com

or compare the two leading methods & decide:
http://blog.9shooter.com/2011/07/top-10 … et-is.html

it strikes me as strange that with all the photographers losing jobs/work/etc., and with the rise/ease of video, so relatively few are adapting and surfing the new technologies, which instead of putting them out of work, could find them even more work.

Jan 28 12 12:43 pm Link

Photographer

Dan Howell Tearsheets

HJM Photography wrote:

well, you could use doug mills of the nyt's method:
http://lens.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/07/1 … e-at-once/

or our method:
http://9shooter.com

or compare the two leading methods & decide:
http://blog.9shooter.com/2011/07/top-10 … et-is.html

it strikes me as strange that with all the photographers losing jobs/work/etc., and with the rise/ease of video, so relatively few are adapting and surfing the new technologies, which instead of putting them out of work, could find them even more work.

gawd...are you really that dense? There is has been an epic shift in the publishing industry. Companies are consolidating or closing. How fatuously naive of you to suggest that photographers adding a skill set would change this.

Jan 28 12 12:45 pm Link

Photographer

Laubenheimer

New York, New York, US

HJM Photography wrote:

a lot of photographers could save their jobs by learning to shoot better photographs.

a lot of videographers could save their jobs by learning to shoot better videos.

Jan 28 12 12:48 pm Link

Photographer

The Dave

Ann Arbor, Michigan, US

a lot of photographers could save threads by not taking the bait.

Jan 28 12 12:50 pm Link

Photographer

HJM Photography

Malibu, California, US

gawd...are you really that dense? There is has been an epic shift in the publishing industry. Companies are consolidating or closing. How fatuously naive of you to suggest that photographers adding a skill set would change this.

yes, learning new skills that are seeing augmenting demand is a bad idea, especially when one's former job is being phased out.

Jan 28 12 12:50 pm Link

Photographer

HJM Photography

Malibu, California, US

Mark Laubenheimer wrote:
a lot of photographers could save their jobs by learning to shoot better photographs.

a lot of videographers could save their jobs by learning to shoot better videos.

yes--never do both.

also, never learn photoshop, nor marketing and business skills.

focus on one thing, and one thing only.  that is the future 4 sure.

shoot stills, and only stills. don't play piano either, or cook, or drive yourself.

Jan 28 12 12:51 pm Link

Photographer

Dan Howell Tearsheets

HJM Photography wrote:

yes, learning new skills that are seeing augmenting demand is a bad idea, especially when one's former job is being phased out.

And newspapers that have required their staffs to incorporate video have been laying photographers off and reducing their staff size. Kinda pokes a hole in your asinine theory. Stick to something you actually know something about.

Jan 28 12 12:53 pm Link

Photographer

Laubenheimer

New York, New York, US

HJM Photography wrote:
yes--never do both.

also, never learn photoshop, nor marketing and business skills.

focus on one thing, and one thing only.  that is the future 4 sure.

//end of thread.

Jan 28 12 12:53 pm Link

Photographer

HJM Photography

Malibu, California, US

And newspapers that have required their staffs to incorporate video have been laying photographers off and reducing their staff size. Kinda pokes a hole in your asinine theory. Stick to something you actually know something about.

lol!  well, i guess you're right again--you're better off being a photographer with no video skills, so as to assure yourself no job.

Jan 28 12 12:54 pm Link

Photographer

HJM Photography

Malibu, California, US

Mark Laubenheimer wrote:

//end of thread.

lol!  //end of thread = this thread has been Laubenheimed, and everyone can go on home now, as it will soon be careening off track. smile

Jan 28 12 12:56 pm Link

Photographer

The Dave

Ann Arbor, Michigan, US

Would you turn down free money?  If not then why do you think the newspapers will? 

Not shooting Video and Stills together is NOT what is causing pubs to layoff photographers. The pubs are getting their content for free now from almost every Joe and Jane Public that has a camera phone. 

Almost every newspaper now asks you to "Send us your news photos" and guess what? People do, and for free.

Why would you pay a staff of a dozen or so photographers to run around catching news when you have 1000's of people willing to send you content and they are already at the event, location, crime scene, wherever...

Pubs will still keep a few shooters around to cover the things that Joe Public can't do, other than that... well, hope you can do more than just shoot news.

Jan 28 12 01:00 pm Link

Photographer

The Dave

Ann Arbor, Michigan, US

I'll tell you one thing, the day I pick up a newspaper and it plays video will be the day I check myself into rehab. smile

Jan 28 12 01:01 pm Link

Photographer

HJM Photography

Malibu, California, US

-The Dave- wrote:
Would you turn down free money?  If not then why do you think the newspapers will? 

Not shooting Video and Stills together is NOT what is causing pubs to layoff photographers. The pubs are getting their content for free now from almost every Joe and Jane Public that has a camera phone. 

Almost every newspaper now asks you to "Send us your news photos" and guess what? People do, and for free.

Why would you pay a staff of a dozen or so photographers to run around catching news when you have 1000's of people willing to send you content and they are already at the event, location, crime scene, wherever...

Pubs will still keep a few shooters around to cover the things that Joe Public can't do, other than that... well, hope you can do more than just shoot news.

True.

And shooting stills & video @ the same time greatly ups your chances for employment. 

And too, there are still a lot of events that require press passes to shoot, especially from the best vantage points.

Jan 28 12 01:02 pm Link

Photographer

HJM Photography

Malibu, California, US

-The Dave- wrote:

I'll tell you one thing, the day I pick up a newspaper and it plays video will be the day I check myself into rehab. smile

Have you read a newspaper on an ipad?

A newspaper/magazine is simply a broken ipad:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=APE8M9MeOWA

Jan 28 12 01:03 pm Link

Photographer

slave to the lens

Wow, this thread turned into a shameless infomercial within 1 post. New MM record.

Jan 28 12 01:09 pm Link

Photographer

HJM Photography

Malibu, California, US

slave to the lens wrote:
Wow, this thread turned into a shameless infomercial within 1 post. New MM record.

With so many photographers losing so much work/jobs and being laid off, why are you so against the free sharing of information concerning philosophies & strategies of shooting stills & video @ the same time reported on in the NYT, which will help photographers find new revenue streams/opportunities?

What's up with the h8?

Jan 28 12 01:10 pm Link

Photographer

The Dave

Ann Arbor, Michigan, US

HJM Photography wrote:
And shooting stills & video @ the same time greatly ups your chances for employment.

As a PJ I can tell you that this is BS.

HJM Photography wrote:
And too, there are still a lot of events that require press passes to shoot, especially from the best vantage points.

However this is a true statement.

Jan 28 12 01:11 pm Link

Photographer

slave to the lens

HJM Photography wrote:

With so many photographers losing so much work/jobs, why are you so against the free sharing of information concerning strategies of shooting stills & video @ the same time reported on in the NYT?

What's up with that?

What's up with you carpet bagging the fora under the guise of "free sharing of info"?

Jan 28 12 01:12 pm Link

Photographer

HJM Photography

Malibu, California, US

-The Dave- wrote:

HJM Photography wrote:

As a PJ I can tell you that this is BS.

However this is a true statement.

Yes, but if you became a PJ/VJ instead of just a PJ, it would be true! smile

Jan 28 12 01:13 pm Link

Photographer

i c e c o l d

Fort Myers, Florida, US

-The Dave- wrote:
a lot of photographers could save threads by not taking the bait.

https://ubosna.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/03/facebook-like-button1.jpg

Jan 28 12 01:13 pm Link

Photographer

HJM Photography

Malibu, California, US

slave to the lens wrote:

What's up with you carpet bagging the fora under the guise of "free sharing of info"?

wot? 

what exactly don't you like about my use of the first amendment to share novel ideas, philosophies, and wisdom?

Jan 28 12 01:14 pm Link

Photographer

Jeff Fiore

Brooklyn, New York, US

Mark Laubenheimer wrote:

Also learning how to build a good website is a useful skill......

Jan 28 12 01:17 pm Link

Photographer

slave to the lens

HJM Photography wrote:

wot? 

what exactly don't you like about my use of the first amendment to share novel ideas, philosophies, and wisdom?

I don't find it topical, and I honestly feel its merely a thinly veiled attempt to insinuate the sale of your product.

Carry on, no h8 here. I just like my spam cooked.

Jan 28 12 01:17 pm Link

Photographer

Imageri by Tim Davis

Minneapolis, Minnesota, US

So if the editors and the publisher of the newspaper is telling current photographer and future photographers to add video capture and editing to their skill-set. It makes sense since many magazines and newspapers are becoming online publications and displaying more video. Especially since many local and national television organizations are delving into the web world as well. Competition is stiff between them.

Jan 28 12 01:20 pm Link

Photographer

HJM Photography

Malibu, California, US

slave to the lens wrote:
I don't find it topical, and I honestly feel its merely a thinly veiled attempt to insinuate the sale of your product.

Carry on, no h8 here. I just like my spam cooked.

dude, how do you not find it topical?  The thread laments all the layoffs of photographers from newspapers.  If photographers were able to deliver both stills & video @ the same time, they would greatly up their chances for employment & future opportunities.

Why do you so h8 new ideas which can be helpful to millions?  I mean why not just ignore the novel ideas, instead of h8ng on them?  How does a new idea personally harm you?

Jan 28 12 01:22 pm Link

Photographer

HJM Photography

Malibu, California, US

Imageri by Tim Davis wrote:

So if the editors and the publisher of the newspaper is telling current photographer and future photographers to add video capture and editing to their skill-set. It makes sense since many magazines and newspapers are becoming online publications and displaying more video. Especially since many local and national television organizations are delving into the web world as well. Competition is stiff between them.

+1,000,000

editors and clients are wanting more and more video in addition to stills. smile

Jan 28 12 01:24 pm Link

Photographer

FullMetalPhotographer

Fresno, California, US

This has been going for sometime. The quality, quantity is not the issue. A simple example.When I worked Lee Enterprises had eight publications in the California Central Valley. They now have four most likely 3 by this time next year if Lee survives. I left before they started killing publications including a spanish publication in a population that has a 53% hispanic population.

I had an on going joke that One does not live by journalism alone. What you are seeing is the rise of the independent contractor. No health or retirement benefits. People going into photojournalism are now going to have to learn the economics of making a living with a camera like any other shooting pro.

Basically the corporate model for newspapers and news publication has failed. So photojournalists are now redefining themselves with a new economic model.

Jan 28 12 01:27 pm Link

Photographer

Julian W I L D E

Portland, Oregon, US

This change is not "about photographers."  It's about a "non-reading public."  We don't get our news from the newspapers anymore.  We get all the news we can stomach from our computers.  Give us the updates on our fave celebrities and we're happy.  And we don't seem to need any more than that.

Less demand, less revenue.  Fewer staff.

I'ts just economics.  ;-)

-JULIAN

PS. And besides, who would WANT to shoot for a "newspaper!???"

Jan 28 12 01:30 pm Link

Photographer

slave to the lens

HJM Photography wrote:

dude, how do you not find it topical?  The thread laments all the layoffs of photographers from newspapers.  If photographers were able to deliver both stills & video @ the same time, they would greatly up their chances for employment & future opportunities.

Why do you so h8 new ideas which can be helpful to millions?  I mean why not just ignore the novel ideas, instead of h8ng on them?

It's a novel idea. It's your opinion that the reason photographers are being laid off is that they limit their skill set, a position that is worth defending because you offer a remedy to this obvious problem.

I don't think diversifying skills is the problem, which is why I find your assertions to be off topic and guided by your desire to sell a remedy for a different malady.

It's like a penicillin salesman trying to sell the idea ( and in turn, his product) to cure polio with antibiotics.

Again, you have a neat product and I wish you well. I'm all for industry and creative innovation. I just disagree that it's the band aid for newspapers outsourcing.

Be well, and best of luck

Jan 28 12 01:32 pm Link

Photographer

Imageri by Tim Davis

Julian  W I L D E wrote:
This change is not "about photographers."  It's about a "non-reading public."  We don't get our news from the newspapers anymore.  We get all the news we can stomach from our computers.  Give us the updates on our fave celebrities and we're happy.  And we don't seem to need any more than that.

Less demand, less revenue.  Fewer staff.

I'ts just economics.  ;-)

-JULIAN

PS. And besides, who would WANT to shoot for a "newspaper!???"

What's wrong with shooting for a newspaper?

Jan 28 12 01:38 pm Link

Photographer

HJM Photography

Malibu, California, US

What's wrong with shooting for a newspaper?

Yes--What's wrong with shooting for a newspaper?  Or a magazine?  A lot of photojournalists are awesome, award-winning photographers.  Again, why all the h8 for excellence?

Jan 28 12 01:49 pm Link

Photographer

HJM Photography

Malibu, California, US

slave to the lens wrote:
It's a novel idea. It's your opinion that the reason photographers are being laid off is that they limit their skill set, a position that is worth defending because you offer a remedy to this obvious problem.

I don't think diversifying skills is the problem, which is why I find your assertions to be off topic and guided by your desire to sell a remedy for a different malady.

It's like a penicillin salesman trying to sell the idea ( and in turn, his product) to cure polio with antibiotics.

Again, you have a neat product and I wish you well. I'm all for industry and creative innovation. I just disagree that it's the band aid for newspapers outsourcing.

Be well, and best of luck

Dude.  You keep accusing me of selling and spamming, when I am sharing a philosophy and ideas.  Why are you falsely and repeatedly accusing me?  What, exactly, am I selling?  What's the price?  Where can you buy it?  Why all the knee-jerk, unsubstantiated, blind, raging h8?  It's a nice day in Woodland Hills--enjoy it!

Jan 28 12 01:53 pm Link

Photographer

Imageri by Tim Davis

HJM Photography wrote:

Yes--What's wrong with shooting for a newspaper?  Or a magazine?  A lot of photojournalists are awesome, award-winning photographers.  Again, why all the h8 for excellence?

+1
I've shot for newspapers, magazines and local, regional and national television affiliates. Money is money. All of them are in competition with each other, each of them demand excellence. Sometimes a still image says it all. Other times a video clip of the same situation captures the mood and ambiance the still can't deliver. But all in all if the editors and publishers want their staff to to multidimensional in their skill-set does it not makes sense to learn how to turn a camcorder and learn to edit a couple frames of video?

Jan 28 12 01:57 pm Link

Photographer

HJM Photography

Malibu, California, US

+1
I've shot for newspapers, magazines and local, regional and national television affiliates. Money is money. All of them are in competition with each other, each of them demand excellence. Sometimes a still image says it all. Other times a video clip of the same situation captures the mood and ambiance the still can't deliver. But all in all if the editors and publishers want their staff to to multidimensional in their skill-set does it not makes sense to learn how to turn a camcorder and learn to edit a couple frames of video?

Yes!  So strange to see how many vocal opponents there are here who strongly oppose:

1. Shooting for newspapers
2. Shooting video/learning new skillsets
3. Innovating and trying new things
4. Leveraging new technologies
5. Adapting to the new workplace
6. Better-serving client/editorial demands

I thought artistes would be for other artistes making money and thinking differently, innovating and having fun?

The raging, seething, anti-progress, anti-technology, anti-art, anti-business h8 has oft puzzled me. smile

Jan 28 12 02:01 pm Link

Photographer

Jhono Bashian

Cleveland, Ohio, US

Times are changing with technology in many industries

Jan 28 12 02:07 pm Link