Forums > Contests > Model Mayhem Banner Contest Winner!

Photographer

Matt Ford

Los Angeles, California, US

looks great!

May 07 12 04:17 pm Link

Model

TSJK

MacMurdo - permanent station of the US, Sector claimed by New Zealand, Antarctica

The new banner looks great, congrats to all smile

May 07 12 04:48 pm Link

Photographer

Brian Scanlon

Encino, California, US

This new one is too much like to old one.  The photo is ok as it goes.  Maybe there is something to be said for continuity, but I thought we were going to get a change.

May 07 12 04:58 pm Link

Photographer

Photos by James Michael

Roscoe, Illinois, US

I agree with most of the others. I was let down by not having a refreshing of the banner. In fact, I didn't know it was changed until someone mentioned the girl with the sunglasses. Sorry...doesn't do anything for me.

May 07 12 05:22 pm Link

Photographer

EDO Photomedia

Jamaica, New York, US

Banner looks cool...if this was a music site. This is straight outta headphone stock photography.

so the image is cool- respect- but the art direction is off.

May 07 12 05:29 pm Link

Photographer

Tim Commons

Ballarat, Victoria, Australia

This year at LMFF2012 I shot a great photo of a model in hair/makeup wearing, you guessed it, headphones, so to me the new banner image is real and representative.

May 07 12 05:31 pm Link

Photographer

Paindancer Productions

Long Beach, California, US

So we get to look up Mosh's nose for the next couple of years?

unimpressed

May 07 12 05:37 pm Link

Photographer

AlanEdward

Royal Oak, Michigan, US

yea disappointed again. If i were to show this site now to friends they are going to think its an emo photography site. what you need to do is change those stylish ads on the side under the vip people. That girl in the black bikini looks awkward as all get out and unprofessional. You've gotta be making money from this site, you charge enough. Step it up guys!!

May 07 12 05:39 pm Link

Photographer

GER Photography

Imperial, California, US

I like it, she cute!:-))

May 07 12 05:47 pm Link

Photographer

RP Chicago

Chicago, Illinois, US

I'm a graphic designer and I build a lot of websites these days. The new banner is ok, nothing ground-breaking. The better solution would have been to a) make the banner twice as deep (taller) to accommodate a wider range of imagery, and b) make the banner rotate among a pool of 10 to 15 banners, continually adding and updating them.

Model Mayhem as a whole needs a redesign to take advantage of the larger monitors most users have. This site is 800 pixels wide, but many designers are building at 950 pixels or wider. Doesn't sound like much, but it would allow for much larger portfolio images.

May 07 12 05:48 pm Link

Photographer

Gary Cutrell

Fort Valley, Georgia, US

I think MM needs a new Banner contest......already !

May 07 12 05:59 pm Link

Photographer

Eddie BABAian

Thank you!  Should share multiple banners that cycle daily.

May 07 12 06:09 pm Link

Photographer

David Hirsh

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

RP Chicago wrote:
llama Mayhem as a whole needs a redesign to take advantage of the larger monitors most users have. This site is 800 pixels wide, but many designers are building at 950 pixels or wider. Doesn't sound like much, but it would allow for much larger portfolio images.

If you click on the edu section of MM, you'll notice that the width is at a more appropriate setting for most monitors these days. I believe this is a test of sorts, and we will likely see it become site-wide at some point in the future.

May 07 12 06:26 pm Link

Photographer

Eric Simard

Penticton, British Columbia, Canada

two thumbs down.
with all the brilliant artists on mm, it would have been good to see something new instead of an almost exact duplicate of the previous one.
what a shame!

May 07 12 07:09 pm Link

Photographer

CP_

Seattle, Washington, US

Sorry but it looks like she's wiping drool from her face.

May 07 12 07:17 pm Link

Photographer

RedwoodForest

Jacksonville, Oregon, US

David Hirsh wrote:

If you click on the edu section of MM, you'll notice that the width is at a more appropriate setting for most monitors these days. I believe this is a test of sorts, and we will likely see it become site-wide at some point in the future.

Some people with wide monitors like the option of having two browser windows open side by side, and still have space for the program icons on the side.

May 07 12 07:32 pm Link

Photographer

RedwoodForest

Jacksonville, Oregon, US

RP Chicago wrote:
I'm a graphic designer and I build a lot of websites these days. The new banner is ok, nothing ground-breaking. The better solution would have been to a) make the banner twice as deep (taller) to accommodate a wider range of imagery, and b) make the banner rotate among a pool of 10 to 15 banners, continually adding and updating them.

Model Mayhem as a whole needs a redesign to take advantage of the larger monitors most users have. This site is 800 pixels wide, but many designers are building at 950 pixels or wider. Doesn't sound like much, but it would allow for much larger portfolio images.

There seems to be no need for larger portfolio images since the images can enlarge. Enlarging the small sizes would slow down the initial loading of pages. And combined site-wide, would affect servers and server needs. Seems that enlarging one photo at a time as a slideshow is more practical. The way it is now.

Agree that the banner could be a bit bigger. I'm fine either way with it though.

May 07 12 07:37 pm Link

Digital Artist

Mads Design

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Glad I abandoned the idea of submitting - my suspicions about the likelihood of adopting real change were correct - just another couch potato.  Sorry, totally love this site - but the new banner is already 7 years old. They call me Mads for a reason!

May 07 12 07:47 pm Link

Model

T A Y L O R

Seattle, Washington, US

One of the best photographers on MM paired with one of the best models.

Still doesn't make it a killer banner, even if the image in full is pretty cool.

Until the font goes, the quality of the images under it will be brought down immensely. I love both of the people involved in this, but I do think this was a pretty poor choice for a banner. Like others have said, a huge focus here is the headphones... which makes little sense.

May 07 12 07:47 pm Link

Photographer

K E E L I N G

Peoria, Illinois, US

Yeah..... ummm...... no.

Good photographer, good llama, good shot...... but horrible choice for this website, it makes one wonder what the hell you guys were thinking?  This just makes no sense.

Headphones?

May 07 12 08:04 pm Link

Photographer

Marshall n Julia

Memphis, Tennessee, US

Very dissappointed. How much time and consideration were given to picking out the new one? hahahaha that's funny.

Why even bother changing the banner at all when it pretty much looks the same...couch, blonde yada yada.  So much for something different, fresh and exciting. What a joke!!

Headphones....really?

I'll ignore it like I did the old one.

May 07 12 08:07 pm Link

Photographer

MoorePhotography

Canberra, Australian Capital Territory, Australia

I'm no statistician but reading through the comments I'm pretty sure the vast majority of commenters agree that this was a bad choice - unoriginal and irrelevant. At least the runner up did something that looked like a fashion model not just some cute teenager listening to music on their headphones whilst hogging the couch - as they all do! (no disrespect to the model or photographer intended).

If Model Mayhem really wants this to be a "community" then the competition should have been judged by the subscribers - they clearly would not have made the same choice! If you're afraid of leaving such an important decision purely to popular choice then just conduct a vote only on a selection of maybe ten to twenty varied entries that you would find acceptable.

There was an opportunity here but you missed it. sad

May 07 12 08:20 pm Link

Photographer

Philip R

Agoura Hills, California, US

Fantastic!!!

p.s. I'm no teenager.

May 07 12 08:24 pm Link

Photographer

Eric Wimberly

Portland, Oregon, US

I don't like the old or the new. Especially with that font.
Maybe we can change banners every now and then from a pool submitted by artists..?

Also- why is she wearing headphones? This banner could also be used for iTunes, Rolling Stone, Spotify, etc..
  There isn't really anything about it that says "model".

May 07 12 08:27 pm Link

Photographer

Squirrels On Film

A poor effort.

May 07 12 08:27 pm Link

Photographer

Eric Wimberly

Portland, Oregon, US

Wait.. Is she flipping a gang sign??

(kidding)

May 07 12 08:31 pm Link

Model

Lauren Calaway

Marc Rosebeck wrote:

To be honest, not much fashion left on MM, Glamour Mayhem, seems to have the fashion folk on the run
outta here, lacing up.

+1

May 07 12 08:31 pm Link

Photographer

NYB

Albany, New York, US

This banner doesn't really portray any type of modeling theme. Is she just listening to music or experiencing a big O??

May 07 12 08:33 pm Link

Photographer

Dan Warbrick

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia

Way too much like the old one!!!  It should be the banner for Beats By Dre or something...  The banner which came in second was a better choice.

I don't think this issue is resolved yet MM'ers...

May 07 12 08:36 pm Link

Photographer

Dan Warbrick

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia

Yeah...agreed! 
Should have had a voting system on the banner like 'pic of the day'

May 07 12 08:41 pm Link

Photographer

Blue Moon Photos

San Ramon, California, US

It's a nice picture and all, but it's so similar to the last one I didn't even notice that it had changed until I saw the "winner" announcement.  Second, I like Mosh, but what are the odds that the winner would be the same model???  Is it the same photographer too???  Obviously the fix was in!!!

May 07 12 08:46 pm Link

Model

orias

Tampa, Florida, US

beautiful photo but like others have mentioned the contest might as well have been "who can create a banner most similar to the one we already had for years so we can pretend to update the site with something new by doing the same stuff over and over"

there were so many amazing, innovative and truly more mass appealing additions just to have the same old stuff by the same old crew and the same old style to win after this supposed competition.

also what in the modeling world is this symbolizing?  she looks stoned and is just sitting there listening to music lol.  it would have been better if she were on a runway or posing with a camera or lights in view if it were supposed to represent the industry in any way shape or form.

truly disappointing

May 07 12 08:52 pm Link

Photographer

I M N Photography

Boston, Massachusetts, US

Headphones?

May 07 12 08:55 pm Link

Photographer

DRImages

San Diego, California, US

CP_ wrote:
Sorry but it looks like she's wiping drool from her face.

Or "something else"  (squirt squirt) wink

May 07 12 09:37 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Barbara1923

Lagos, Lagos, Nigeria

Congrats guys.

May 07 12 09:43 pm Link

Photographer

J O H N A L L A N

Rev  Arielle wrote:

The model isn't different. Mosh was the model in the other banner as well.

Much love.

Like the image, but really... Doesn't that sound a bit suspect to anyone? What's the natural chances of that?

May 07 12 09:44 pm Link

Model

kassandra love

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Rev  Arielle wrote:

The model isn't different. Mosh was the model in the other banner as well.

Much love.

I'm pretty sure the other banner WAS NOT Mosh.

May 07 12 09:48 pm Link

Photographer

Brian Diaz

Danbury, Connecticut, US

John Allan wrote:

Like the image, but really... Doesn't that sound a bit suspect to anyone? What's the natural chances of that?

https://www.modelmayhem.com/po.php?thre … st17075507

May 07 12 09:56 pm Link

Photographer

Next Generation Photos

Marysville, Washington, US

I didnt even notice the banner was different until I saw the link that said "model mayhem banner contest winner" >_

May 07 12 10:22 pm Link

Photographer

RedwoodForest

Jacksonville, Oregon, US

MoorePhotography wrote:
I'm no statistician but reading through the comments I'm pretty sure the vast majority of commenters agree that this was a bad choice - unoriginal and irrelevant. At least the runner up did something that looked like a fashion model not just some cute teenager listening to music on their headphones whilst hogging the couch - as they all do! (no disrespect to the model or photographer intended).

If Model Mayhem really wants this to be a "community" then the competition should have been judged by the subscribers - they clearly would not have made the same choice! If you're afraid of leaving such an important decision purely to popular choice then just conduct a vote only on a selection of maybe ten to twenty varied entries that you would find acceptable.

There was an opportunity here but you missed it. sad

I have need for little typing ^

Your comment about the preponderance of replies sums up my latest thoughts.

May 07 12 10:24 pm Link