Forums > Contests > Model Mayhem Banner Contest Winner!

Photographer

RP Chicago

Chicago, Illinois, US

David Hirsh wrote:

If you click on the edu section of MM, you'll notice that the width is at a more appropriate setting for most monitors these days. I believe this is a test of sorts, and we will likely see it become site-wide at some point in the future.

Yep. Saw that section when it appeared. It's nice and fills the browser well. That page width will work well on the entire site.

May 07 12 10:49 pm Link

Photographer

state Photo

Olympia, Washington, US

no feelin it.......doesnt work for me.

May 07 12 10:51 pm Link

Photographer

state Photo

Olympia, Washington, US

why was it even changed? it looks so much like the old one.....

May 07 12 10:54 pm Link

Photographer

RP Chicago

Chicago, Illinois, US

RedwoodForest wrote:

There seems to be no need for larger portfolio images since the images can enlarge. Enlarging the small sizes would slow down the initial loading of pages. And combined site-wide, would affect servers and server needs. Seems that enlarging one photo at a time as a slideshow is more practical. The way it is now.

Agree that the banner could be a bit bigger. I'm fine either way with it though.

I'm referring to the full-size images not the thumbnails. Vertical images can be really large but horizontal images suffer a little bit. If someone uploads an image wider than 800px, it breaks out of the page layout. If the eventual redesign of the site mirrors the page width of the EDU section that David Hirsh linked to, that would work well I think.

The MM site does what it's supposed to fairly well, but there's room for improvement. Gradual changes and tweaks to design and functionality are better than letting a site get stale. With no disrepect to the good people that run this place, that's kinda the state of things here. Teeing off on the new header is unproductive when the real issue is the need for a fresh new design.

May 07 12 11:01 pm Link

Model

Lady Medusa

Sydney, New South Wales, Australia

I am obsessed with Mosh and she is my muse, but to be honest it'll get a 'tad' annoying seeing her EVERYWHERE; as I enjoy viewing all of a sudden a new photoshoot of hers.
But I do love the tones, the concept is okay, and I actually really do like the subtle change of the layout to the original. Overall, I definitely prefer this to the old one - the old one was so 90's, haha.

May 07 12 11:56 pm Link

Photographer

MorittuPhotoGraphy

Florence, Toscana, Italy

Brian Diaz wrote:
We have a winner! The judges sorted through hundreds of submissions, got into many arguments, and got into even more arguments.

In the end, however, the contest boiled down to two favorites.

Based on the criteria of “creativity, originality, aesthetic appeal, continuity with current site banner, and clarity”, the judges picked this banner as the winner.

https://www.modelmayhem.com/images/Modelmayhem_head.jpg
MichaelO is the photographer/digital artist, and Mosh is the model. Congrats, MichaelO and Mosh! Together they win 5 years of free VIP membership.

Running a close second was this entry by digital artist Matthew Lane and model Yelena21. (Image by photographer KARELEA) Together they win 1 year of free VIP membership.

https://daydreamcreative.com/mm/banner1.jpg

Many thanks to all who participated and offered their visions as to what Model Mayhem will look like. We’re excited about the change.

...same old story:"We need to change everything, so that nothing really changes!"...

Looking at the manies works sent, there was a lot more appropriate to the task... seems like you loose a great chance to give a fresher image.

I can't even image why a picture promoting a Model's Community need to show a model with earphones, is this a DJ's community?

What does mean her pose? Is this a manicure/nails-care products website?

Notice I'm not talking about the technical skills of Photographer and Model, that would be a matter of personal taste and of course everyone has different taste.

My thought is for those who was in charge to choose the new banner's image... if a picture worth a thousand of words, that's true until you peek a photo that show and FOCUS on your core business/interest. This is a main Marketing rule.

As already stated, the picture of your choice, send too many confusing messages, especially due to the props and model's pose.

To avoid any misunderstood, notice I don't took part - nor want to take part - to the process of creating the new banner; so my thought is not due to some sort of "revenge spirit" for not being the winner.

That's just my two cents, in the hope to make improve the selecting criterias for the next time.

Cheers

Marco

May 08 12 12:46 am Link

Photographer

Mike Adams Photos

Cleveland, Ohio, US

I don't like either, but dj mayhem is an epic fail to me.

May 08 12 01:04 am Link

Retoucher

MarkusKister Retouching

Ratingen, North Rhine-Westphalia, Germany

The old one was not bad - this one is poor.
Embarrassing for such a site.

May 08 12 01:31 am Link

Model

Katlin Sumners

Fredericksburg, Virginia, US

I love Mosh, though I'm a fashion model she was one of the first people who first inspired me as a model at 17. I love Michael O's work, he does amazing stuff and that is pretty indisputable tongue...

That said, I think that this banner is a bit dark for the style of what model mayhem needs to promote, and even just to passersby on the web. I think the headphones are a bit counter productive to the image, but its really how dark and moody the image is that I feel like is a bit negatively impacting.

Regardless, after soooooooooo long and only event banners, it is nice to see a change.

Just my 2 cents. Nothing that should be taken as an absolute.

May 08 12 01:34 am Link

Photographer

Gary Cutrell

Fort Valley, Georgia, US

Too bad the new MM banner looks so Bland and so much like the old one !!!  New contest is in order with better Judges, perhaps.....

May 08 12 02:07 am Link

Photographer

Digital Photo PLUS

Lorton, Virginia, US

Why the fingers? Why the headphones? The facial expression is pretentious.

May 08 12 03:15 am Link

Model

HD Limitless

Winterswijk, Gelderland, Netherlands

Right on!

May 08 12 03:28 am Link

Photographer

Leanne Bell Photography

Dublin, Dublin, Ireland

"Am I taking crazy pills?"

It's the old banner redux, only this time, inexplicably, with headphones and someone who looks a lot like GaGa. I thought the point of the contest was to find something different.

May 08 12 03:31 am Link

Retoucher

Robert LC

Amsterdam, Noord-Holland, Netherlands

DanaColePix wrote:
hmmm...well...its darker smile

looks to much like the old one for me to really have a different opinion on it....

If you all wanted the same look with just a darker color and different model, then mission accomplished.

Haha true, it's not a revolution but definitely an evolution.
Even the crappy font looks better with this image wink . I say, well done.

May 08 12 04:30 am Link

Photographer

PhotoSeven

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, US

Nothing new here...same as the old one just add headphones and many layers in photoshop.

May 08 12 05:29 am Link

Model

Lady Medusa

Sydney, New South Wales, Australia

I just quickly went through the past entries, and its funny how this winning banner was posted once in the last minute and wins, when the second winner and a couple of other well conceptualised entries get voted by the public many, many times, and do not win.

I can't link the banner entry at the moment but, personally the second entry by photographer K I S S P H O T O is my favourite with reasons to why....

It has that lovely sharp touch to the edits.
The colour schemes are beautiful with the image.
The model looks high fashion, yets has plugs as ear piercings to also present the alternative genre of modelling.
And the composition is totally different to the original - her face is clean centred and the title us beautifully placed on the right hand side.

I'm still a major Mosh fan, and MichaelO is an awesome photographer, but like many have said it does not fit in with the 'model' theme...

May 08 12 05:33 am Link

Photographer

A-M-P

Orlando, Florida, US

I like MichaelO and Mosh but hate this banner

It's almost identical blonde model with bangs and green couch. I'm already bored with it.

May 08 12 06:48 am Link

Photographer

A M Johnson

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

A commercial web site header graphic should be fresh and exciting. This is neither. It is a trendy instagram that will be tired in months. It's too dark and the model although pretty is not conveying the message "model web site".

May 08 12 06:55 am Link

Photographer

Miss Aniela

London, England, United Kingdom

Terrible terrible choice.

Is this DJ Mayhem or Model Mayhem??

The last model had ski googles this one has headphones?!?!

Seriously who chooses these!?!?!?!?

May 08 12 07:01 am Link

Photographer

RedwoodForest

Jacksonville, Oregon, US

Glad to see that others are speaking their thoughts and not just writing sugar-coating.

It may be a good learning experience to whomever manages the site.

May 08 12 07:26 am Link

Model

Carly Ad Astra

New York, New York, US

OK so- we redesign the banner to look like the old banner, but for a music site? ? ? ?

WTH do headphones have to do with my job??

I connect as a model and photographer much more with the second banner, the runner up. The font could have been adjusted...

I guess I'll go put my model pics on ReverbNation now....

May 08 12 08:07 am Link

Photographer

Taurus Studios

BRONX, New York, US

Both images are Tops. They are inviting & alluring to me. But  in terms of relaying the site, sadly it fails.

May 08 12 08:17 am Link

Photographer

Gaze at Photography

Hilton Head Island, South Carolina, US

Bitch Bitch Bitch

Like a frickin kindergarten around here.....

May 08 12 08:33 am Link

Model

orias

Tampa, Florida, US

Gaze at Photography wrote:
Bitch Bitch Bitch

Like a frickin kindergarten around here.....

yeah rigged competitions fronting as a site pride parade with a theoretical selection process where members actually had their feedback heard is totally kindergarten. 

complaining about the legitimate feelings of betrayal from members is frickin pre-school

May 08 12 08:43 am Link

Photographer

Eastfist

Green Bay, Wisconsin, US

Taurus Studios wrote:
Both images are Tops. They are inviting & alluring to me. But  in terms of relaying the site, sadly it fails.

Yeah. It's just not as "fun" anymore, is it?  The new one is very slick and commercial looking, but where's the charm/personality of the site?

May 08 12 08:46 am Link

Model

orias

Tampa, Florida, US

Eastfist wrote:
Yeah. It's just not as "fun" anymore, is it?  The new one is very slick and commercial looking, but where's the charm/personality of the site?

it died along with the hopes and dreams of the members expecting a fair competition for a new site icon representative of members opinions and site function sad

May 08 12 08:49 am Link

Photographer

Shutterbug

San Francisco, California, US

A girl plugged into earphones who is somewhere else. Really? As sick as I was of the girl with no eyes, at least you had a sense she was in the same room. Rethink this one.

May 08 12 08:50 am Link

Photographer

L Bass

Nacogdoches, Texas, US

Way to go, Mosh!

May 08 12 09:00 am Link

Photographer

Simuel Studios

Tempe, Arizona, US

Maybe I missed it in a previous post, but here is a thought. Rotate the banner between the top 12. A Banner per month.

May 08 12 11:17 am Link

Photographer

sjx

Boston, Massachusetts, US

Yeah Mosh!

Stacy Leigh wrote:
love it!!! Mosh is so pretty too!

smile
Stacy Leigh

May 08 12 11:35 am Link

Photographer

Sage Grey Photography

Denver, Colorado, US

Still makes the site look very amateur unfortunately. Enjoy the photo but don't really see the point of having a contest for a new photo just to select an almost identical image.

May 08 12 11:44 am Link

Photographer

Niya DeGroat

Flagstaff, Arizona, US

The second runner up shot should've one.  The intensity of the eyes screams llama!  The winning selection looks like she's having an orgasm.

May 08 12 12:13 pm Link

Photographer

Jules K Photography

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

I like the new banner. Congrats to MichaelO and Mosh. Good work!

May 08 12 12:21 pm Link

Photographer

Marshall n Julia

Memphis, Tennessee, US

orias wrote:

yeah rigged competitions fronting as a site pride parade with a theoretical selection process where members actually had their feedback heard is totally kindergarten. 

complaining about the legitimate feelings of betrayal from members is frickin pre-school

Well said! I have so much love for you right now! lol

May 08 12 12:35 pm Link

Model

MandiePistol

Jacksonville, North Carolina, US

I absolutely love it! Mosh is amazing, And she deserves the recognition. She's my idol. smile

May 08 12 12:48 pm Link

Photographer

Christopher Daemon

West Hazleton, Pennsylvania, US

Great choice for a music site.

A disappointing choice for model mayhem....why headphones?

And I really, really hate the font.

May 08 12 01:10 pm Link

Model

orias

Tampa, Florida, US

Marshall n Julia wrote:
Well said! I have so much love for you right now! lol

awesome so let cut and dye my hair a retro trendy platinum bob, get stoned and have an orgasm simultaneously so we can get shots on a 3 cushioned back couch and win next years competition for site banner.  of course we'd have to get one random prop to place on my head and then become friends with the moderation staff first so they can wait patiently for our submission and pretend to go through a selection process before finally concluding our revolutionary new art is symbolic of this sites mission lol

May 08 12 01:11 pm Link

Photographer

INKEDividuals

Seattle, Washington, US

Digital Photo PLUS wrote:
Why the fingers? Why the headphones? The facial expression is pretentious.

Well, the MODS and ADMINS did pick the winner.

Fingers.... pointing blame and responsibility at others
Headphones ..... You can't hear complaints when you're diggin some sweet jams
Pretentious expression .....  seems to fit

May 08 12 01:17 pm Link

Photographer

Skydancer Photos

Santa Cruz, California, US

Professor Oni wrote:

Well, the MODS and ADMINS did pick the winner.

Incorrect

May 08 12 01:20 pm Link

Photographer

INKEDividuals

Seattle, Washington, US

Skydancer Photos wrote:

Incorrect

According to this:
https://www.modelmayhem.com/po.php?thre … st16833794

The Judges are "MM Staff."  Who is this if not Mods and Admins? 

Considering the considerable negative reaction to their choice, perhaps the "Judges" might want to identify themselves and take some accountability.

May 08 12 01:26 pm Link