This thread was locked on 2013-05-05 20:16:10
Forums > Model Colloquy > Sleeping with photographers

Makeup Artist

boy does makeup

Atlanta, Georgia, US

I'm sleeping with a photographer, she gets me paid bookings...

She's my wife.

She's also a model I'm sleeping with...

I'm also a model she's sleeping with...

I'm also a photographer she's sleeping with...

it makes for interesting conversation at group shoots.

May 24 12 06:14 am Link

Photographer

ChristopherRoss

Eškašem, Badakhshan, Afghanistan

I don't think there's anything wrong with a model sleeping with a photographer, assuming they're both adults and they're both looking for a good time. I would say however that there's no place flirting during the shoot itself, it's difficult enough to do the job without wires getting crossed. Save it for after, if everybody wants it.

As for what you're describing though, that's dirty bad 101. Nobody who's looking to profit from you financially would be trying to sleep with you sexually, it's too easy to pollute the relationship

May 24 12 06:19 am Link

Photographer

GCobb Photography

Southaven, Mississippi, US

Am I the only one who acknowledges the possibility of the model being the one dropping hints or making the first move?  And it's quite possible that a model would get caught up in the moment during a specific shoot.

I'm not saying what the photographer in the OP is acceptable at all.  I know of someone who made a lot of empty promises to models.  I wouldn't ever do that.

May 24 12 06:21 am Link

Photographer

Fotografica Gregor

Alexandria, Virginia, US

In my opinion, this guy was just trying to manipulate you  - very "old school" and very deplorable.  *loser*.

OTOH if you have chemistry with someone you meet "at work" - whatever the work might be - why not pursue it and see if there's something there?   A high percentage of relationships start with work-related contact.....

my next to the last "ex" was a model - but I had never shot her til after we were involved (and I did not meet her through MM).   I've dated a couple of models I've met (NOT in my MM port)  but I was not trying to "manipulate" anyone (ie suggesting sex for some money, fame or other return)  -   

I think that hooking up just happens sometimes (in any setting in which people meet), and denying our attractions is unhealthy - BUT it is NEVER cool to manipulate someone or  make someone uncomfortable 

AND it is totally unprofessional to use the photographer-model dynamic to attempt to seduce or otherwise hassle models....

May 24 12 06:22 am Link

Model

Amelia Talon

Seattle, Washington, US

Yes there a d-bags who will blow smoke up your ass and try to get into your pants, or just blow smoke period. Some of them will actually be reputable and their claims may be truthful, but stick to your guns. Sleeping around will only get you so far.

For the other part of your post, photographers and models are people, if you click with someone then why not. I've heard of many photographers and models dating.. and not for the fame and money. Just make sure the feelings are mutual before you act.

May 24 12 06:22 am Link

Photographer

ChristopherRoss

Eškašem, Badakhshan, Afghanistan

GCobb Photography wrote:
Am I the only one who acknowledges the possibility of the model being the one dropping hints or making the first move?

Absolutely not, models are just as likely as photographers to find the other attractive. That's why I say I don't think there's anything wrong with a model sleeping with a photographer (or vice versa) in theory but I suspect we can agree that the OP was describing though was really scummy, a typical "I can make you famous if you sleep with me" routine ... and there's no place for that.

May 24 12 06:25 am Link

Photographer

dgold

Pawtucket, Rhode Island, US

Fotografica Gregor wrote:
In my opinion, this guy was just trying to manipulate you  - very "old school" and very deplorable.  *loser*.

AND it is totally unprofessional to use the photographer-model dynamic to attempt to seduce or otherwise hassle models....

YUP.

May 24 12 06:27 am Link

Photographer

Sungoddess Studios

Keyport, New Jersey, US

It's hard sleeping with a photographer. The lens keeps poking you.

May 24 12 06:33 am Link

Model

Jessie Shannon

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Amelia Talon wrote:
Yes there a d-bags who will blow smoke up your ass and try to get into your pants, or just blow smoke period. Some of them will actually be reputable and their claims may be truthful, but stick to your guns. Sleeping around will only get you so far.

For the other part of your post, photographers and models are people, if you click with someone then why not. I've heard of many photographers and models dating.. and not for the fame and money. Just make sure the feelings are mutual before you act.

+1 This exactly

May 24 12 06:35 am Link

Photographer

AJ_In_Atlanta

Atlanta, Georgia, US

I am sure it happens as much as any other job where coworkers end up sleeping together.  Seriously why would it be any different, we are still talking about people.  Do people in office building end up dating or married, do they try to maintain a professional workplace, are there inappropriate advances.

In the case of the OP example it was inappropriate and unwanted, but people are going to have relationships at work (not just models and photographers).

May 24 12 06:39 am Link

Photographer

Select Model Studios

Tempe, Arizona, US

MartaBrixton wrote:
Hi there!

I've got some questions for ya.

Have you ever slept with a photographer?
Have you ever got any offers?
Have you ever felt like you want to during the shoot?
Is that a common thing or not really?

I'm asking because once I had a paid shoot for a calendar and photographer suggested that I should sleep with him after the shoot. I felt really offended, cursed him badly and left. After that he sent me an email saying that I don't know the industry and I won't achieve anything, I'm just a kid and it's not for me, he wanted to promote me but I act like a virgin and also he said all llamas that he promoted slept with him and they are big now. I didn't get pictures and money, was really pissed off because I had to travel far and he treated me like a hoe. That made me think- is it really that common? Because I consider it as prostitution (sleeping with phtographer to get paid) so it's sad what women can do for doe.

From the other hand- I had a shoot with a really cute and hot photographer and I was really horny because he was sooo sexy and the way he was looking at me was just tooo much! So I wanted to see him again one day and go for a drink but then he said he has a wife so obviously didn't happen tongue

Photographers- do you ever get horny during a shoot? You have seen sooo many beautiful women so probably not, just asking anyway.

First off, that guy is a douchebag. As far as without holding pay, is there something in the contract saying you will get pay? I'm still new to this so not sure the laws. But you could possibly sue him? I don't know.

And to answer your other questions.

Have I ever slept with a llama? No. Would I? Probably if the chance came up. I probably wouldn't make the first move though. I'm single and young. And it's no different then meeting a random person in bar, store or the beach IMO. Have I been turned on during a shoot? Yeah a bit. If you are attracted to someone and you're in a certain type of setting, who wouldn't be to an extent? It's human nature. But you still gotta keep it professional.

May 24 12 06:52 am Link

Photographer

Eastfist

Green Bay, Wisconsin, US

Who needs permission?

May 24 12 06:56 am Link

Model

Koryn

Boston, Massachusetts, US

MartaBrixton wrote:

I'm in a long-term relationship with one, 3 years, so yes - though we did not become sexually involved until we had known each other for awhile, and had developed a friendship unrelated to shooting.

MartaBrixton wrote:

Strangers whom you've just met, especially in professional contexts, should not be coming onto you (or you onto them) at all. It is, generally, in poor taste and not well-received in most professional circles.

If you meet someone through shooting, then end up developing a relationship with them in your private time, that's your business. Your choice. What legal and consenting adults choose to do in their personal lives is private. Not for anyone else to know about, or judge.

There are people who meet their partners at work (any type of work), who stay together for many years, or for their whole lives, raise families, and it works out just fine for them. There are also people who sort of randomly date people they meet through work, and it damages their reputations, impairs their ability to make sound decisions regarding their work, or at the very least ends up awkward and weird at some point or another.

What you do with your relationships is ... like I said... your business, but no one should be coming on to you. It's sketchy. Establishing appropriate, respectful boundaries is a skill that is not innate for most people; you learn it as you go along.

May 24 12 07:02 am Link

Photographer

Moon Pix Photography

Syracuse, New York, US

MartaBrixton wrote:
Hi there!

I'm asking because once I had a paid shoot for a calendar and photographer suggested that I should sleep with him after the shoot. I felt really offended, cursed him badly and left. After that he sent me an email saying that I don't know the industry and I won't achieve anything, I'm just a kid and it's not for me, he wanted to promote me but I act like a virgin and also he said all models that he promoted slept with him and they are big now. I didn't get pictures and money, was really pissed off because I had to travel far and he treated me like a hoe. That made me think- is it really that common? Because I consider it as prostitution (sleeping with phtographer to get paid) so it's sad what women can do for doe.

From the other hand- I had a shoot with a really cute and hot photographer and I was really horny because he was sooo sexy and the way he was looking at me was just tooo much! So I wanted to see him again one day and go for a drink but then he said he has a wife so obviously didn't happen tongue

Photographers- do you ever get horny during a shoot? You have seen sooo many beautiful women so probably not, just asking anyway.

If people were to answer honestly, I am sure some (not all) would answer "yes" to many of your questions.

If you asked the same questions to someone who is a server in the food industry, a lawyer, a psychotherapist, an air traffic controller, a doctor, etc... you would probably get an equal amount of "yes's".  It is human nature.

I will say I think it is a shame that people put these strange restrictions on dating someone they work with, though  I understand if it is company policy.... since having a job is important!   I think it is absolutely fine to meet, date, have sex or marry a person you met at work.  In another life I had another profession.  I met, fell in love and dated a woman for 5 years that was once a client of mine.  There is no way in hell I would ever put some BS policy or idea as more important than my real feelings.

May 24 12 07:15 am Link

Photographer

Land Imagery

Springfield, Missouri, US

I think this applies to people from any profession.  Whenever you get people together, there is the possibility of physical attraction.  If someone attempts to leverage career advancement toward getting what he/she wants sexually, they're a creep.

On a personal note:
I did a photoshoot of a beautiful young woman.  I slept with her four years later... after we got married.  :-)

May 24 12 07:27 am Link

Photographer

JerodKeller Photography

Indianapolis, Indiana, US

Sounds like a double-standard to me.  You're completely offended and grossed-out when a photographer you're not attracted to hits on you, but it's totally OK for you to hit on/consider sleeping with a "hot" photographer you are attracted to.  It sounds to me like you weren't offended that a photographer implied he wanted to sleep with you, just offended that the photographer wasn't hot enough for you to sleep with but asked anyway. 

Both are equally unprofessional and neither party should be thinking about anything other than the task at hand to create great work.

MartaBrixton wrote:
Hi there!

I'm asking because once I had a paid shoot for a calendar and photographer suggested that I should sleep with him after the shoot. I felt really offended, cursed him badly and left. After that he sent me an email saying that I don't know the industry and I won't achieve anything, I'm just a kid and it's not for me, he wanted to promote me but I act like a virgin and also he said all llamas that he promoted slept with him and they are big now. I didn't get pictures and money, was really pissed off because I had to travel far and he treated me like a hoe. That made me think- is it really that common? Because I consider it as prostitution (sleeping with phtographer to get paid) so it's sad what women can do for doe.

May 24 12 07:27 am Link

Photographer

ontherocks

Salem, Oregon, US

people don't believe me when i say that models sometimes post threads like this. but they do! at the end of the day we're human and some of us have sex drives. last time i checked consensual sex between adults is still legal?

my models have all been very professional (sometimes they give me a hug) and i don't have anything exciting to report (the wife wouldn't be pleased if i did. lol) i wouldn't want to fool around during a shoot anyway (save that for afterwards). it could ruin your reputation.

now if a model happens to be a stripper and you go visit them at their club ...

as far as the casting couch thing i do think that men tend to favor the women who are sleeping with them. but if you don't want to play that game then don't work with those guys. if those are the guys you have to work with to get ahead then maybe it's not worth it.

May 24 12 07:38 am Link

Photographer

KonstantKarma

Campobello, South Carolina, US

I've been on SSRIs for over a year. I don't 'rise' to the occasion anymore.

May 24 12 07:41 am Link

Photographer

ontherocks

Salem, Oregon, US

then give them a hug and take them out after the shoot. i just think that shenanigans during the shoot are a bad idea for anyone who considers themselves a professional no matter how much it might seem appealing at the time. word tends to get around about these sort of things. unless fooling around with your models on set somehow gives you cred that lets you get better models? sometimes the world works in mysterious ways.

if your only reason to shoot is for sex then only work with your girlfriends/boyfriends and those shoots can be very unprofessional. i've had some good shoots with the wife smile

GCobb Photography wrote:
And it's quite possible that a model would get caught up in the moment during a specific shoot.

May 24 12 07:43 am Link

Model

Anna Adrielle

Antwerp, Antwerp, Belgium

I sleep with a photographer I shoot with all the time...

isn't that normal then? 2 consenting adults?

May 24 12 07:46 am Link

Photographer

Art of the nude

Grand Rapids, Michigan, US

JerodKeller Photography wrote:
Sounds like a double-standard to me.  You're completely offended and grossed-out when a photographer you're not attracted to hits on you, but it's totally OK for you to hit on/consider sleeping with a "hot" photographer you are attracted to.  It sounds to me like you weren't offended that a photographer implied he wanted to sleep with you, just offended that the photographer wasn't hot enough for you to sleep with but asked anyway. 

Both are equally unprofessional and neither party should be thinking about anything other than the task at hand to create great work.

Actually, one adult being attracted to another and thinking about flirting is NOT the same as the person who has hired a 16 year old to model demanding she have sex with him as a requirement to get paid.

May 24 12 07:46 am Link

Photographer

ontherocks

Salem, Oregon, US

i think the photographer did more than just ask. he implied that she wouldn't get ahead without sleeping around within the industry. that's the part that didn't seem very professional (even if it may still be somewhat true in certain circles).

JerodKeller Photography wrote:
It sounds to me like you weren't offended that a photographer implied he wanted to sleep with you, just offended that the photographer wasn't hot enough for you to sleep with but asked anyway.

May 24 12 07:47 am Link

Model

P I X I E

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

MartaBrixton wrote:

Why?

Seriously??? Do you even have to ask?

May 24 12 07:48 am Link

Photographer

ontherocks

Salem, Oregon, US

a local modeling agency got shut down because the owner was (supposedly) doing the 16 year old intern. one of our models was part of that agency. there are some lines that shouldn't be crosssed no matter how horny you are or whatever part the woman might have to play in it (i think people coming of age sometimes like to play with their newfound powers).

then there was the local teacher who was found parked with an underage student at a local bird refuge. after being found out he then tried to contact her again at a coldplay concert. can you say jail time?

Art of the nude wrote:
Actually, one adult being attracted to another and thinking about flirting is NOT the same as the person who has hired a 16 year old to model demanding she have sex with him as a requirement to get paid.

May 24 12 07:49 am Link

Photographer

KC King

Brea, California, US

I would NEVER hit on a model before or during a shoot. I might stick a toe in the water during the after when we're chillin' but I've usually already found out whether they'd even entertain it during the shoot just from our conversation.

When I first started shooting models I thought I'd get turned on, but I'm too busy thinking about everything else. That being said there is usually a moment when one of the poses does hit me and I do feel a little something, but I just take that as we've done our job and created something arousing.

Even if you were using sleeping with a photographer to "move up" in the modeling world you wouldn't do it until AFTER he produced. If you do before THEN you're naive!!

I had a model friend be heavily pursued for a "reality" TV deal and when she found out what it was all about she said "No Thank You" and that she had a boyfriend who wouldn't be cool with it. One of the scouts then told her that Marilyn Monroe left a boyfriend to pursue her career in Hollywood and most girls do. And that the camera doesn't really watch everything, so if she had a few drinks and wanted to get a little crazy it wouldn't be a big deal. These are the kind of people you DON'T want to work with.

Models and photographers will always date cause it's just like any other work environment. I think most real men know how to be professional and when someone is sending them a signal.

May 24 12 07:50 am Link

Photographer

ontherocks

Salem, Oregon, US

what i've observed is many models are working two jobs to support their musician boyfriend. next life i'm picking up a guitar not a camera. lol.

KC King wrote:
Models and photographers will always date cause it's just like any other work environment.

May 24 12 07:52 am Link

Photographer

KonstantKarma

Campobello, South Carolina, US

https://chzragecomics.files.wordpress.com/2012/05/rage-comics-untitled5.png

May 24 12 07:52 am Link

Photographer

Connor Photography

Newark, Delaware, US

MartaBrixton wrote:
Hi there!

I'm asking because once I had a paid shoot for a calendar and photographer suggested that I should sleep with him after the shoot. I felt really offended, cursed him badly and left. After that he sent me an email saying that I don't know the industry and I won't achieve anything, I'm just a kid and it's not for me, he wanted to promote me but I act like a virgin and also he said all models that he promoted slept with him and they are big now. I didn't get pictures and money, was really pissed off because I had to travel far and he treated me like a hoe. That made me think- is it really that common? Because I consider it as prostitution (sleeping with phtographer to get paid) so it's sad what women can do for doe.

You did the right to walk out.  Is this common?  NO, but it does happen all the time.  Just like the director and producer sleeps with the would be actress. So many couples on MM were sleeping together first before they married.

Modeling career is just like any other careers and situation, you will be hit on.  Learn how to deal with it and focus on what is important to you. 

I am just sayin'

May 24 12 07:54 am Link

Photographer

KC King

Brea, California, US

hartcons wrote:
what i've observed is many models are working two jobs to support their musician boyfriend. next life i'm picking up a guitar not a camera. lol.

Ha ha ha!! Totally!! My brother who IS a musician has turned down more models cause he is a loyal monogamist!! So young and foolish!!

May 24 12 07:55 am Link

Photographer

KC King

Brea, California, US

Not that being a loyal monogamist is bad, as long as the person deserves that kind of loyalty.

May 24 12 07:55 am Link

Photographer

ontherocks

Salem, Oregon, US

that's how i know i've got the pose i want. the little brain tells me. lol. but usually i don't need to share that with the model. although one time i did say "OMG" when a model arched her back. but we're talking about shooting again so i guess no harm was done. i don't think women mind being appreciated as long as it's not sexual harassment.

it's the paying customers that sometimes get to me. man we've had some hot ones!

regardless, i think it's important to remain professional. you only have one reputation. then again the world being what it is terry richardson seems to be doing just fine.

KC King wrote:
That being said there is usually a moment when one of the poses does hit me and I do feel a little something, but I just take that as we've done our job and created something arousing.

May 24 12 07:56 am Link

Model

MartaBrixton

London, England, United Kingdom

Erick Prince wrote:
Lets not completely let the OP off the hook here. If the photographer that propositioned her is wrong and unprofessional she was/is as well had the guy she approached wasn't married. The question is would she have slept with him had he propositioned. See many post condemning him as there should be, but not many calling her out.

I didn't know he was married and I haven't done ANYTHING during the shoot, wasn't even flirting . After I just asked him if he wants to go for a drink one day and he told me he is married and thats the end of the story. Where do you see my mistake here??

May 24 12 07:59 am Link

Photographer

ontherocks

Salem, Oregon, US

that's how the wife and i met. when you are working all the time where else are you going to meet someone? unless you are the bar type.

but it seems like CEOs are falling right and left because they slept with a co-worker or vendor. seems kind of a shame when having a love life is grounds for dismissal. without a little romance now and then life is kind of grim.

Moon Pix Photography wrote:
I think it is absolutely fine to meet, date, have sex or marry a person you met at work.

May 24 12 08:01 am Link

Photographer

KC King

Brea, California, US

hartcons wrote:
that's how i know i've got the pose i want. the little brain tells me. lol. but usually i don't need to share that with the model. although one time i did say "OMG" when a model arched her back. but we're talking about shooting again so i guess no harm was done. i don't think women mind being appreciated as long as it's not sexual harassment.

it's the paying customers that sometimes get to me. man we've had some hot ones!

regardless, i think it's important to remain professional. you only have one reputation. then again the world being what it is terry richardson seems to be doing just fine.

The models I've worked with are so cool I can totally go "Hey, that's kinda turning me on" but that would be the extent of the conversation. If you don't really know them keep it to yourself. And yes Terry is all his Creepiness seems to be doing just fine.

May 24 12 08:02 am Link

Photographer

TouchofEleganceStudios

Vallejo, California, US

You can sleep with me but I have conditions:

1. No farting

2. No snoring

3. Shower first

4. No bad breath

5. Must wake up before I do and cook me a 5 star breakfast

6. Before you leave you must clean my house top to bottom

7. No crabs

8. No warts

9. No spider webs down there

And you must be approved by my two puppies as they sleep in the middle

smile

May 24 12 08:03 am Link

Photographer

Rays Fine Art

New York, New York, US

Fortunately (or maybe not) at 75 the direct questions no longer apply to me but it seems to me that the photographer you describe was what a lot of people call fauxtographers, not really interested in photography, other than as a method of getting into a girl's pants.  Your reaction was totally appropriate.

Generally, though, my guess would be that the incidence of sexual involvement between models and photographers is pretty much what it would be among consenting adults in any other activity.  Some will be turnons, and some will not.  Of the turnons, some will be "I would if I could, but I can't so I shan't" and some will be "Sure, why not?"  It's a personal decision between the people involved and , quite frankly, none of my business.

I doubt that very many of the twenty-somethings that I shoot would find me a sexual object but age differences are a very common fetish, so I suspect that it happens sometimes.  I know that even at my age I certainly can recognize the sexual as well as the artistic attractiveness of my models, but then I'm only old, I'm not dead.

And this is how it should be, I think.  I certainly could not create sexy pictures of my models if I did not appreciate them on a sexual basis, nor could they project that sexiness if they were unaware of or stifling their sexuality.

All IMHO, of course, as always.

May 24 12 08:08 am Link

Photographer

Pembroke Pines, Florida, US

KonstantKarma wrote:
https://chzragecomics.files.wordpress.com/2012/05/rage-comics-untitled5.png

lol yup yup ..

May 24 12 08:10 am Link

Photographer

ontherocks

Salem, Oregon, US

i had one model where we joked about going to hell for what we were doing (a set for zivity). lol. really depends on the model and how well you know and get along with them. i think some photographers get into trouble by being that way with all models and not everyone is that laid back.

KC King wrote:
The models I've worked with are so cool I can totally go "Hey, that's kinda turning me on" but that would be the extent of the conversation. If you don't really know them keep it to yourself. And yes Terry is all his Creepiness seems to be doing just fine.

Photographer

Teila K Day Photography

Panama City Beach, Florida, US

MartaBrixton wrote:
Hi there!

(( sigh )) ...

You're asking questions that a woman your age shouldn't have to ask even if only a smidgen of common sense was employed.

1.  Of course some photographers (like some models) sleep with, come onto, grope, make suggestive comments, etc., towards those they're working with, have worked with, and or want to work with.   It's been going on since the beginning of time.  Big deal.  If you're receptive to it great, because you're an adult or at least old enough to use common sense (16, 17 year olds, etc..);  If you're *not* receptive to it, then just walk away and refuse to engage in such type of conversation, and be smart enough not to encourage the idiot by cussing-him-out or any other type of knee-jerk response that makes you look like a dull minded nit, that ceases to act like a lady the instant some guy (or gal) says something you don't like.   Really, it wasn't that big of a deal to even mention.  Welcome to Life.

2.  Some photographers will get horny like some models will and sparks fly, no less common than two people working together in a law office, school district, accounting firm, medical clinic, or any number of places where adults are in contact with each other.  Attraction happens and sex happens... are you really surprised?

3.  Is is common?  Depends on your definition of "common".  Many here will say no, and quip about professionalism, but the bottom line is that it's about as common as as a soft porn model sleeping with a photographer/videographer.  Let's just say industry wide, it isn't "rare", and no less surprising than hearing about a manager sleeping with an administrative assistant.

4.  I think the photographer acted inappropriately, however I think you not getting your photos and getting paid might have been your fault because you didn't do the shoot.  Perhaps you clarified this later in the thread, but by what you wrote here, you were offended, you cussed him out, and you left.  So he didn't have anything to do with you not getting photos or paid, unless he refused to shoot you and do his duty as a photographer by generating photographs and giving you what you were due (photos and or payment) as per contract.  IF the photographer failed in that regard then you have a case, but if you simply ran off due to him offended you then the only thing the photographer is guilty of is acting like a heel.

Assuming there were others present (hair, makeup, assistant, etc.) then you could've done the shoot, got paid, and got photographs after declining his offer of sex.  If there weren't others present, I would have also declined without cussing him out- because once you did that (cussing him out), you began acting like the very type of person you accused him of treating you like in the first place (and I quote you) ....  a  "hoe".

Photographer

Philipe

Pomona, California, US

Camerosity wrote:
During a shoot, I'm focused on the shoot. If I allowed myself to be distracted in that way, it would show in the quality of the images. I have a reputation to uphold.

(edit) I did date a few models in a previous life (1970's). But during a shoot, I was still focused on the shoot. There are just too many things a photographer has to keep in mind, watch for, be aware of, etc.

+1

May 24 12 08:12 am Link