Forums > Model Colloquy > Modeling and getting paid

Model

Shelby Carter Model

Houston, Texas, US

Let's talk about getting paid. This is more for llamas but photographers can chime in too. And mainly I am posting this because I get messages from "models" all the time asking how to get paid.

Ladies and gentlemen, you can't just wake up one day and decide that you want to get paid. If you are not with an agency and you are working as a freelance llama then you need to build a portfolio and market the hell out of yourself. Because honestly as llamas we are a product. But it doesn't just take beautiful images to get to the professional level, and if it was just images then anyone could photoshop themselves and brand themselves a pro. It takes experience, knowledge of posing, being able to express and emote, and being able to inspire who you work with. But not everyone can be a llama, you either have "IT" or you don't. And if you have been llamaing for years and haven't gotten to the level of pro then maybe you should find another job...that is if a professional llama is what your goal career is.
A llama will get paid by (a) a photographer who want to improve their skills (b) a photographer that really loves your look and can't live without it in their book (c) GWC's who just want to spend some time with a pretty girl (d) a photographer who wants to hire you for his or her revenue producing project - book, calendar, website, etc (e) a client who hires a llama and photographer, and both parties get paid.
There are standards in this industry for a reason. Don't question them or complain that they are there. They won't change for you. Deal with them, understand them, and move on. Because I am 100% sure that there are millions of girls out there who either fall into that standard or don't complain about them. And they WILL get the job before you.
After working with numerous agencies I have compiled a list of general standards
Bikini/Lingerie Glamour llama: 5ft6-5ft8 34"-24"-34" Cup: B to D (Petite, or slender, well proportioned)
Runway llama: 5ft8-6ft Bust 32"-34" waist 22"-26" hips 32"-34" Cup A to C
Catalogue llama: 5ft7-5ft9 Bust 32"-36" Waist 24"-26" Hips 33"-35" Cup A to D
Art Nude llama: 5ft-6ft any size or shape

Let me also add this. Not everyone can be a llama or photographer.
A good photographer working with a bad/ugly llama just produces good pictures of a bad/ugly llama. A good llama working with a bad photographer just produces bad images of a good llama....

THIS IS NOT GEARED TOWARD HOBBY llamaS OR PHOTOGRAPHERS. THIS IS FOR PROFESSIONAL llamaS WHO WANT TO MAKE llamaING THEIR CAREER.

Jun 21 12 08:00 am Link

Photographer

ontherocks

Salem, Oregon, US

i've read about hobby models who got paid on their first shoot and that doesn't surprise me. if you have the look (and personality) go for it. i think it's more than just wanting to spend time with a pretty girl (plus we've had models in all shapes and sizes and ages). if your day job doesn't involve much creativity it's fun to play around with photography. the last set i did for zivity was more like shooting a little film than still photography. it's like a guy version of playing with dolls. too much fun.

Jun 21 12 08:07 am Link

Model

Shelby Carter Model

Houston, Texas, US

hartcons wrote:
i've read about hobby models who got paid on their first shoot and that doesn't surprise me. if you have the look (and personality) go for it. i think it's more than just wanting to spend time with a pretty girl (plus we've had models in all shapes and sizes and ages). if your day job doesn't involve much creativity it's fun to play around with photography. the last set i did for zivity was more like shooting a little film than still photography. it's like a guy version of playing with dolls. too much fun.

I think zivity is great! I am a model for them and have been for the last 2 years. I think it helps photographers tell a story.

But this isn't for hobby models. I was speaking about real models.

Jun 21 12 08:10 am Link

Model

Anna Adrielle

Antwerp, Antwerp, Belgium

Shelby Carter Model wrote:

I think zivity is great! I am a model for them and have been for the last 2 years. I think it helps photographers tell a story.

what exactly is the difference between a hobby model and a "real" model??

Jun 21 12 08:12 am Link

Photographer

Jeff Fiore

Brooklyn, New York, US

Anna Adrielle wrote:

Hobby models aren't looking to make a living with modeling although if some wants to pay them they won't object. they are in it more for artistic expression - at least the ones I work with.

"Real" models as she means are models looking to make a living with modeling

Jun 21 12 08:23 am Link

Photographer

Abbitt Photography

Washington, Utah, US

For the most part I agree with you.

For me, it really comes down to having a look better than the typical TF model.

I'm not going to pay for what I can get TF, and I feel I need see a return on my expenditure.  - Either a look, that will pay me back with image sales, or something I appreciate as a hobbyist.  Certainly nudes help - basic supply and demand, but just because a model does nudes, doesn't mean I'll pay.  Having tattoos has been a reason I haven't offered pay when I otherwise would have - again:  looks.

The act of filling out a MM model profile most certainly doesn't automatically make one a model deserving of pay which is an attitude I came across often.

Jun 21 12 08:24 am Link

Model

Shelby Carter Model

Houston, Texas, US

Jeff Fiore wrote:

Hobby models aren't looking to make a living with modeling although if some wants to pay them they won't object. they are in it more for artistic expression - at least the ones I work with.

Jeff said it.

BTW Jeff I am planning a trip to New York smile

Jun 21 12 08:27 am Link

Model

Dekilah

Dearborn, Michigan, US

I would be interested in hearing what your definition of a "real" model is. Edit: Just saw the response.

And the way I read this, it seems as though you are saying Zivity is not real modeling. I know a good many people who would beg to differ.

I think your relatively good advice in your OP may end up clouded by these points of seeming negativity and arguing over definitions.

Photographer

AJ_In_Atlanta

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Very true, I do however think you are being a bit generous on those heights.  I don't think, at least in larger markets, that a 5'8 model would do fashion or runway when there are a lot of 5'10 models looking for work.  Granted an amazing look can make all the difference.

Photographer

ontherocks

Salem, Oregon, US

i've shot local girls, traveling llamas and agency-represented llamas (but not through the agency). they all considered themselves llamas and they all made at least some money from it. now if you're talking about runway/fashion llamas who make their living from llamaing then that is different from a casual/glamour llama who works a lot with hobbyist photographers. maybe it comes to whether a photographer is paying or a client.

it's tough these days to define things like "real" or "pro". the lines have all been blurred to some extent.

Shelby Carter llama wrote:
But this isn't for hobby llamas. I was speaking about real llamas.

Model

Shelby Carter Model

Houston, Texas, US

Abbitt Photography wrote:
For the most part I agree with you.

For me, it really comes down to having a look better than the typical TF model.

I'm not going to pay for what I can get TF, and I feel I need see a return on my expenditure.  - Either a look, that will pay me back with image sales, or something I appreciate as a hobbyist.  Certainly nudes help - basic supply and demand, but just because a model does nudes, doesn't mean I'll pay.  Having tattoos has been a reason I haven't offered pay when I otherwise would have - again:  looks.

The act of filling out a MM model profile most certainly doesn't automatically make one a model deserving of pay which is an attitude I came across often.

I agree sir.

Model

Anna Adrielle

Antwerp, Antwerp, Belgium

Jeff Fiore wrote:

I really don't think it's that black and white. plenty of models on mayhem do this as a parttime or fulltime job, but also enjoy making art.
plenty of models on here that don't do paid shoots don't do it for the artistic expression but just want pictures of themselves looking hot.

not to mention there's a whole area between "doing a couple of paid shoots" and "being abe to live off your modelling".

but you know, maye that's just a different debate

Jun 21 12 08:29 am Link

Model

Shelby Carter Model

Houston, Texas, US

Dekilah wrote:

I would be interested in hearing what your definition of a "real" model is. Edit: Just saw the response.

And the way I read this, it seems as though you are saying Zivity is not real modeling. I know a good many people who would beg to differ.

I think your relatively good advice in your OP may end up clouded by these points of seeming negativity and arguing over definitions.

I am repeating what Jeff said because he describes it best.Hobby models aren't looking to make a living with modeling although if some wants to pay them they won't object. they are in it more for artistic expression - at least the ones I work with.

And I will add that Hobby models do it for fun, because they enjoy it, it's a way they express themselves and they aren't in it for the money.

Jun 21 12 08:30 am Link

Model

Dekilah

Dearborn, Michigan, US

AJScalzitti wrote:
Very true, I do however think you are being a bit generous on those heights.  I don't think, at least in larger markets, that a 5'8 model would do fashion or runway when there are a lot of 5'10 models looking for work.  Granted an amazing look can make all the difference.

Well, I could say she's not being generous enough. I fall outside of her height range for an Art Nude model (which is what I am in part) at 4'10" and I know I am not the only one. I think she ballparked it pretty well. Height is only part of the equation, like you said an amazing look can make the difference.

Jun 21 12 08:31 am Link

Model

Shelby Carter Model

Houston, Texas, US

Dekilah wrote:

I said zivity is great, because I think it is. lol And I do think it is real modeling. You get paid to do it, and it's a good way to be creative.

Jun 21 12 08:32 am Link

Model

Shelby Carter Model

Houston, Texas, US

Dekilah wrote:

Well, I could say she's not being generous enough. I fall outside of her height range for an Art Nude model (which is what I am in part) at 4'10" and I know I am not the only one. I think she ballparked it pretty well. Height is only part of the equation, like you said an amazing look can make the difference.

I said they were general standards. I was being very broad on the heights and measurements. Because there is always and exception.

Jun 21 12 08:33 am Link

Model

Shelby Carter Model

Houston, Texas, US

Anna Adrielle wrote:

I really don't think it's that black and white. plenty of models on mayhem do this as a parttime or fulltime job, but also enjoy making art.
plenty of models on here that don't do paid shoots don't do it for the artistic expression but just want pictures of themselves looking hot.

not to mention there's a whole area between "doing a couple of paid shoots" and "being abe to live off your modelling".

This is how an agency would view hobby, and real models.

Jun 21 12 08:34 am Link

Model

Dekilah

Dearborn, Michigan, US

I said they were general standards. I was being very broad on the heights and measurements. Because there is always and exception.

I was actually agreeing with your standards in that post. He was saying you were too broad, I was just basically saying we could all nitpick them but I think it was a good ballpark.

Jun 21 12 08:35 am Link

Photographer

ontherocks

Salem, Oregon, US

i believe that some of the traveling mayhem llamas make a living shooting with hobbyist photographers. to me when i say "hobby llama" it could mean that the llama is a hobbyist or the photographer (so probably more clear to say "hobby llamaing"). basically it's not a pro fashion shoot funded by an end client. but the photographer could be a working pro (depending on your definition of pro) doing side stuff. on my last zivity shoot a llama/photographer on mayhem was going to join in on the fun with the main llama but then apparently got nervous because i'm a "pro" photographer (that's probably stretching it a bit but i am trying to make money although not in fashion).

but if this thread is geared toward agency llamas who make a full-time living on fashion-type llamaing then obviously a lot of the llamas on mayhem aren't in that category. but look at the stuff that Kate Upton does (bless her, um, heart. lol) is all of that really llamaing?

also i've seen some posts recently where a llama said "hey i'm 5'6" or plus-sized and just got signed. so there" but i guess that's not the norm.

Jeff Fiore wrote:
"Real" llamas as she means are llamas looking to make a living with llamaing

Jun 21 12 08:35 am Link

Photographer

Gary Melton

Dallas, Texas, US

...A model will get paid by (a) a photographer who want to improve their skills (b) a photographer that really loves your look and can't live without it in their book (c) hobbyists or gwc's who just want to spend some time with a pretty girl OR (d) a client who hires a model and photographer, and both parties get paid...

You left out one other scenario: (e) a photographer who wants to hire you for his or her revenue producing project - book, calendar, website, etc. (ie: sometimes the photographer is also the client).

Jun 21 12 08:38 am Link

Model

Shelby Carter Model

Houston, Texas, US

hartcons wrote:
i believe that some of the traveling mayhem models make a living shooting with hobbyist photographers. to me when i say "hobby model" it could mean that the model is a hobbyist or the photographer (so probably more clear to say "hobby modeling"). basically it's not a pro fashion shoot funded by an end client. but the photographer could be a working pro (depending on your definition of pro) doing side stuff. on my last zivity shoot a model/photographer on mayhem was going to join in on the fun with the main model but then apparently got nervous because i'm a "pro" photographer (that's probably stretching it a bit but i am trying to make money although not in fashion).

but if this thread is geared toward models who make a full-time living on fashion-type modeling then obviously a lot of the models on mayhem aren't in that category.

I'm gonna have to check you out on zivity!

But yeah, this is geared towards models who want to make a full time living on being a model in whatever genre they choose.

And I thought it was already known that a lot of models on mayhem don't fall in that category. However there are a lot that do.

Jun 21 12 08:41 am Link

Model

Shelby Carter Model

Houston, Texas, US

Gary Melton wrote:

You left out one other scenario: (e) a photographer who wants to hire you for his or her revenue producing project - book, calendar, website, etc. (ie: sometimes the photographer is also the client).

You are very correct. I will have to add that on my blog.

Jun 21 12 08:41 am Link

Photographer

AJ_In_Atlanta

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Dekilah wrote:

In your case its your look, its different and interesting as well as pretty.  That makes a big difference smile

Jun 21 12 08:42 am Link

Photographer

ontherocks

Salem, Oregon, US

i'm twoharts on zivity.

so far i've only run across a couple agency models on mayhem and they worked with me outside of their agency. the ones i know who are getting paid typically do glamour or art nudes or fetish (or stuff that isn't allowed on here). one model i know has been hung in a gallery as a result. but oregon isn't exactly fashion-central although i have seen some fashion/editorial/lifestyle guys in portland.

And I thought it was already known that a lot of models on mayhem don't fall in that category. However there are a lot that do.

Jun 21 12 08:44 am Link

Photographer

ontherocks

Salem, Oregon, US

on my last zivity shoot the model brought a friend who was curious and she had such a great look and was so nice and helpful that i would shoot her anytime. that's the fun thing about photography. it doesn't always have to be about making money. sometimes you just do it because you want to and you can.

AJScalzitti wrote:
In your case its your look, its different and interesting as well as pretty.  That makes a big difference smile

Jun 21 12 08:51 am Link

Model

Shelby Carter Model

Houston, Texas, US

hartcons wrote:
on my last zivity shoot the model brought a friend who was curious and she had such a great look and was so nice and helpful that i would shoot her anytime. that's the fun thing about photography. it doesn't always have to be about making money. sometimes you just do it because you want to and you can.

I am a photographer, wardrobe stylist, makeup artist, and I organize photography workshops too. I shoot 1-4 times a week. I'm not always getting paid. I just love shooting, and modeling. It's my outlet. It's not just my job, it's my lifestyle. I spend like 6-15 hours a day working on something. Right now I am starting a magazine, designing a couture lingerie line, and organizing workshops. I do it all because I love it.

Jun 21 12 08:58 am Link

Photographer

ontherocks

Salem, Oregon, US

awesome. i admire models who can do it all. for my part i have a full plate just being a photographer and retoucher. although i did host one group shoot. it's all good. fun to be a part of.

I am a photographer, wardrobe stylist, makeup artist, and I organize photography workshops too. I shoot 1-4 times a week. I'm not always getting paid. I just love shooting, and modeling. It's my outlet. It's not just my job, it's my lifestyle. I spend like 6-15 hours a day working on something. Right now I am starting a magazine, designing a couture lingerie line, and organizing workshops. I do it all because I love it.

Jun 21 12 09:02 am Link

Model

Shelby Carter Model

Houston, Texas, US

hartcons wrote:
awesome. i admire models who can do it all. for my part i have a full plate just being a photographer and retoucher. although i did host one group shoot. it's all good. fun to be a part of.

I love them. All I ever wanted out of this was to inspire those I work with. That's why I do the workshops. To know that I inspire those that come to get better, and keep shooting, and setting goals, just makes me happy.

Jun 21 12 09:04 am Link

Photographer

G Images

Lexington, Kentucky, US

I am troubled by self-proclaimed experts who think that their view of the world is so important that it should be shared with the masses.

In your OP, you stated: "A model will get paid by (a) a photographer who want to improve their skills (b) a photographer that really loves your look and can't live without it in their book (c) hobbyists or gwc's who just want to spend some time with a pretty girl OR (d) a client who hires a model and photographer, and both parties get paid." Your failure to differentiate between a hobbyist and the supposed "GWC" demonstrates to me that your knowledge is less than complete.

I am a hobbyist so by your definition, I apparently am only wanting to spend time with pretty girls. There are a lot of us on this site who have professional careers in areas other than photography but you seem to disregard the possible existence the individual who enjoys photography and doesn't need to make any money from it. The day all of this becomes work, I will give it up and go find something else. If you are going to categorize people when imparting your wisdom, I would suggest that you do it with a bit more understanding of the movitvations of those who are not what you seem to consider to be real photographers.

Jun 21 12 10:26 am Link

Photographer

Photographe

Bristol, England, United Kingdom

I think the point is... you have to build a decent portfolio to expect decent money.

Jun 21 12 10:30 am Link

Model

Engel Schrei

Indianapolis, Indiana, US

Well done darlin' smile

Jun 21 12 10:36 am Link

Photographer

Mortonovich

San Diego, California, US

G Images wrote:
I am troubled by self-proclaimed experts who think that their view of the world is so important that it should be shared with the masses.

In your OP, you stated: "A model will get paid by (a) a photographer who want to improve their skills (b) a photographer that really loves your look and can't live without it in their book (c) hobbyists or gwc's who just want to spend some time with a pretty girl OR (d) a client who hires a model and photographer, and both parties get paid." Your failure to differentiate between a hobbyist and the supposed "GWC" demonstrates to me that your knowledge is less than complete.

I am a hobbyist so by your definition, I apparently am only wanting to spend time with pretty girls. There are a lot of us on this site who have professional careers in areas other than photography but you seem to disregard the possible existence the individual who enjoys photography and doesn't need to make any money from it. The day all of this becomes work, I will give it up and go find something else. If you are going to categorize people when imparting your wisdom, I would suggest that you do it with a bit more understanding of the movitvations of those who are not what you seem to consider to be real photographers.

Relax, man. I'm sure the OP would agree that you can be a hobbyist and fit into either (a) or (b) as she described it.

Jun 21 12 10:42 am Link

Photographer

G Images

Lexington, Kentucky, US

ChiMo wrote:
Relax, man. I'm sure the OP would agree that you can be a hobbyist and fit into either (a) or (b) as she described it.

I reacted to the term, "hobbyist", only being used in association with "GWC" and not with the term, "photographer". If the OP did not mean it as it is stated, I will withdraw my comment.

Jun 21 12 11:50 am Link

Model

Engel Schrei

Indianapolis, Indiana, US

G Images wrote:
I reacted to the term, "hobbyist", only being used in association with "GWC" and not with the term, "photographer". If the OP did not mean it as it is stated, I will withdraw my comment.

A hobbyist is most commonly associated with a GWC in the fact that it's someone who is doing this for enjoyment, rather then trying to make a living with it.

While GWC largely tends to have a negative connotation, it really just means the guys who go buy a camera and just take photos of pretty girls for the sake of hanging out with pretty girls. As a llama, a good portion of my income came from GWC type photographers, many of whom just wanted a pretty girl to chat with while they snapped some photos.

A good portion of very talented photographers are "hobbyists", in that photography is not their primary source of income. There are also just as many "hobbyists" who have no real "it" factor as a photographer who just shoot for the fun and sake of hanging with pretty girls.

Getting bent out of shape because she included a term in one area of the sentence rather then another is ridiculous and childish. There is no derogatory intent or negative implication for either "hobbyist" or "GWC" aside from what you personally read into it. If you want to get technical, denotatively any person who takes a photograph is a photographer, and any male who owns a camera is a "GWC", including all the "hobbyists" and "professionals".

Her post was thought out, accurate, valid, and good advice. Stop nitpicking, it's rude and all it does is make you come off as unpleasant to communicate with.

Jun 21 12 01:16 pm Link

Photographer

Bare Essential Photos

Upland, California, US

I'm a hobbyist and I pay models (hobbyists and professionals). I guess that makes me I'm one of those GWCs. Oh well, I prefer not making a living as a photographer and being able to select the models I want to shoot without the same constraints as those who work for clients. Makes life much easier that way for me.

Gabby

Jun 21 12 01:34 pm Link

Photographer

Chuckarelei

Seattle, Washington, US

Anna Adrielle wrote:

You know it when you see one.

Jun 21 12 01:37 pm Link

Model

P I X I E

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Um, I'm a hobbyist, but I'm definitely real, thanks.

Perhaps you meant professional models (in the sense that it's their profession)?

Jun 21 12 01:40 pm Link

Model

JadeDRed

London, England, United Kingdom

And if you have been modeling for years and haven't gotten to the level of pro then maybe you should find another job/hobby.

I dont think you understand the word 'hobby'.

Jun 21 12 01:50 pm Link

Photographer

Eastfist

Green Bay, Wisconsin, US

If you want to get paid AS A MODEL:

1. Find someone willing to pay you to model for them
2. Show up to the shoot and model
3. Get paid

Everything else is circumstantial.

Now... if you want the attention and publicity to go along with it, that's something else. wink

Jun 21 12 01:50 pm Link

Model

P I X I E

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

JadeDRed wrote:

I dont think you understand the word 'hobby'.

+1

Jun 21 12 01:52 pm Link