Forums > Photography Talk > Terry Richardson Isn't a Photographer.

Photographer

AJ_In_Atlanta

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Google  Diesel's 'Global Warming Ready' campaign.  It was before everyone really started to hire him for this P&S crap.  He can do amazing work, but he knows who signs the checks.

Jul 04 12 08:07 pm Link

Photographer

Leighsphotos

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

BMI Studio wrote:
I'm guessing the general public neither knows who he is or anything about his deviant sexual behavior. If they did, he may not be as successful as a photographer. Public outrage has shown to affect how corporate America conducts business. But because his photos tend to appear with little or no fanfare outside the photography and fashion industries, the liberal minds within those industries will continue to defend him and his behavior.

The public in general could care less about who shot whom with what. They just want to see good images. As for the deviant behaviour..thats all relative and unproven. If anyone truly had an issue with it he would have been charged and tried long ago..keep it in perspective.

Jul 04 12 08:08 pm Link

Photographer

Magic Image Photography

Temple City, California, US

And the moon is made out of Cheese.

Jul 04 12 08:10 pm Link

Photographer

New Art Photo

Los Angeles, California, US

Good photographer or not, he seems to engage in some pretty despicable conduct with vulnerable young models.  I can't imagine anyone admiring that.

Jul 04 12 08:18 pm Link

Photographer

AJ_In_Atlanta

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Illuminate wrote:
As for the deviant behaviour..thats all relative and unproven. If anyone truly had an issue with it he would have been charged and tried long ago..keep it in perspective.

Right... I am sure many new models doing their first cover shoot for a major magazine would run out of a shoot screaming because he whips it out.  None of them have been willing to risk their dreams and careers by pursuing legal action.  Its the problem with sexual harassment cases in general; just to keep it in perspective

Jul 04 12 08:21 pm Link

Photographer

Leighsphotos

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

AJScalzitti wrote:

Right... I am sure many new models doing their first cover shoot for a major magazine would run out of a shoot screaming because he whips it out.  None of them have been willing to risk their dreams and careers by pursuing legal action.  Its the problem with sexual harassment cases in general; just to keep it in perspective

Dumbest thing I have ever heard. You actually think reporting someone to the police would hurt a new models career....I know 5 models TODAY who reported sexual assaults to law enforcement...and guess what..the world still spins.

Jul 04 12 08:26 pm Link

Photographer

MC Photo

New York, New York, US

New Art Photo wrote:
Good photographer or not, he seems to engage in some pretty despicable conduct with vulnerable young models.  I can't imagine anyone admiring that.

Can you be more specific? What have you seen him do?

Jul 04 12 10:30 pm Link

Photographer

MC Photo

New York, New York, US

Illuminate wrote:

Dumbest thing I have ever heard. You actually think reporting someone to the police would hurt a new models career....I know 5 models TODAY who reported sexual assaults to law enforcement...and guess what..the world still spins.

Whether it hurts their career or not is irrelevant, it's whether they believe that it will hurt their career that matters.

Jul 04 12 10:31 pm Link

Photographer

BrandonLuong

i think people forget that photography is art, you might not just get it. His style is very gritty and has a rock star feel it. Its very refreshing to see. Not everything has to be technical and overdone.

sometimes you can make great pictures with a basic flash and some spontaneity

Jul 04 12 11:39 pm Link

Photographer

Fred Greissing

Mark Laubenheimer wrote:

and roman polanski is not a filmmaker.  ha.

It's not fair to compare Terry Richardson to Roman Polanski.

While Roman Polanski is a fine film maker he had sex with a minor.

Terry Richardson is a randy clown, but has his fun and games with
grownups.

I'd say that puts Polanski in the no class category and Terry in well let's say "a class of his own".

Jul 04 12 11:43 pm Link

Photographer

Laubenheimer

New York, New York, US

Benjamin Kanarek wrote:

Are you kidding??? Do you know anything about Terry Richardson and his pedigree. If he was so inclined he could shoot the most elaborate and complex productions. He was brought up in photography through his father Bob Richardson, a highly accomplished Fashion Photographer. He is a photographer who understands the importance of marketing, which has become in it's own right an art form of it's own, necessary for one to survive in the Biz today.

http://www.benjaminkanarekblog.com/2011 … ng-talent/

In looking at your work, "me thinks thou protesteth too much..."

now now, me thinks it best to watch out for the proverbial doorstep.

Jul 04 12 11:44 pm Link

Photographer

AJ_In_Atlanta

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Illuminate wrote:

Now that is one of the dumbest things i have ever heard.  It doesn't matter if it will or not if the model feels she has to or that she will be blacklisted by him if she does not perform as told.  Perhaps you simpy don't understand how sexual harassment works and if you don't think it's hurt people's careers (on both sides) you must not get out much.  Several models have come out and made these claims and there was an interview (I think in Jezebel) where a model said that she didn't report it because she thought it would kill her career.  She believed he would have kicked her off the set and she would loose her chance at a vogue cover.

Jul 05 12 12:00 am Link

Photographer

Don Garrett

Escondido, California, US

Ya know, if I made as much money as he does, getting blow jobs, I wouldn't give a rat's ass what a handful of idiots on Model Mayhem thought of me. And I'm sure that is how he feels about it too, (if he is even aware that we exist) !
-Don

Jul 05 12 12:24 am Link

Photographer

Frank Stephens III

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, US

I never even heard of Terry Richardson before the O.P. felt the need to hate on the guy...

I'll have to study his work and see what tips I can get so  maybe one day I can garner such hatred...

Jul 05 12 02:13 am Link

Photographer

Phil Drinkwater

Manchester, England, United Kingdom

Efan Bruder wrote:
Honestly I could give a shit about TR. He's making shit tons of money? Good for him.

The fact that he seems to be going more for reactions than quality photographs makes me think he's moved over into the performance artist category.

Who said he doesn't produce quality photographs? You're welcome to your opinion but that doesn't make it right in any way. Like any art (music, painting and so on) there's people who get your art and people who don't.

But the thing which will completely kill your argument is that a photographer is someone who takes photographs. Nothing more. He takes photographers therefore he's a photographer.

Jul 05 12 05:16 am Link

Photographer

KMP

Houston, Texas, US

Efan Bruder wrote:
This is an idea that recently popped into my head:

Terry Richardson isn't a photographer.  He's a performance artist seeing how much crap people will put up with from someone calling himself a photographer (and having a somewhat famous father in the photo business).

Discuss.

No judgement on his work...but he has as much right to be called a photographer as anyone on here...

.....And can you find something a bit more interesting, (new?) to discuss than Terry Richardson?

Jul 05 12 05:25 am Link

Photographer

Jhono Bashian

Cleveland, Ohio, US

AJScalzitti wrote:
He knows how to shoot and shoot well if you look back on his work, but people keep paying him for that crap he has done recently.   Now as far as being a sexual predator, that is totally different despite what people think here; On MM it appears as only people claiming to photographers can be sexual predators.

Good one, I too, can agree here..

Jul 05 12 05:27 am Link

Photographer

Revenge Photography

Horsham, Victoria, Australia

I don't know the man and as far as I know he isn't shit talking about me. So I'll show him the same respect.

Jul 05 12 05:33 am Link

Photographer

PhotoSeven

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, US

Efan Bruder wrote:

Terry Richardson isn't a photographer.  He's a performance artist seeing how much crap people will put up with from someone calling himself a photographer (and having a somewhat famous father in the photo business).

Discuss.

This is what drives me crazy about MM and all the rules.  It is ok for you to blast Terry Richard's work, but unwelcome crits are grounds for the BRIG.

I guess the old adage about glass houses can be fitting

Jul 05 12 07:05 am Link

Photographer

Ezhini

Wichita, Kansas, US

Efan Bruder wrote:

Discuss.

Why concern (especially negatively) yourself with a mega-successful man who has no direct relevance to your own everyday practice of your profession/craft?

Jul 05 12 07:55 am Link

Photographer

Ezhini

Wichita, Kansas, US

Revenge Photography wrote:
I don't know the man and as far as I know he isn't shit talking about me. So I'll show him the same respect.

+1

Jul 05 12 07:56 am Link

Photographer

J I M

New York, New York, US

Efan Bruder wrote:

Discuss.

Terry Richardson IS a photographer (he takes pictures with a camera),
Terry Richardson is a PROFESSIONAL photographer (he gets paid for taking pictures).

Just because you don't like his style doesn't mean he isn't a photographer.

Crap? Not sure how you are defining that. Aesthetics are a taste. Expand yours and you'll sleep better smile

Jul 05 12 08:11 am Link

Photographer

Digital Photo PLUS

Lorton, Virginia, US

Efan Bruder wrote:

Discuss.

That's how I think of him. He is a bullshit artist mocking the fashion and the art world. Seeing how far he can push his BS. I think there will be a "gotcha" part in his act where he will come out and ridicule those who thought he was a photographer.

Jul 05 12 08:14 am Link

Photographer

Leighsphotos

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

AJScalzitti wrote:
Now that is one of the dumbest things i have ever heard.  It doesn't matter if it will or not if the model feels she has to or that she will be blacklisted by him if she does not perform as told.  Perhaps you simpy don't understand how sexual harassment works and if you don't think it's hurt people's careers (on both sides) you must not get out much.  Several models have come out and made these claims and there was an interview (I think in Jezebel) where a model said that she didn't report it because she thought it would kill her career.  She believed he would have kicked her off the set and she would loose her chance at a vogue cover.

I need to get out more? lol...ok buddy

The people that have made statements about the photographers "antics" chose to charge him by wire..or media. That doesn't make it true because every story has two sides. If ten people said your work was crap should we take them at their statement and presume it as fact? I bet you hope not.

We have a principle in law called due process, the presumption of innocence until guilt is proven. When one of those models goes to the police, files a complaint which results in a charge and then conviction the industry will know what's what.

Do you think anyone in the industry really believes that they won't get another job if they report they she has been sexually assaulted?

And just who in their right mind would give hand-jobs or blow-jobs so they could stay on set? For a magazine cover?? I'm sure there are lot's of models who might, but to turn around and complain about it later would have the same net effect.

Many photographers etc have gone through the legal system for the type of behavior you are discussing. In fact I know several well known ones right here in Toronto with on-going cases. Their accusers are still agency rep'ed and working frequently on various campaigns.

Jul 05 12 08:21 am Link

Photographer

Laubenheimer

New York, New York, US

Fred Greissing wrote:

It's not fair to compare Terry Richardson to Roman Polanski.

While Roman Polanski is a fine film maker he had sex with a minor.

Terry Richardson is a randy clown, but has his fun and games with
grownups.

I'd say that puts Polanski in the no class category and Terry in well let's say "a class of his own".

i was merely separating business from pleasure.

same as R Kelly is a songwriter.....

Jul 05 12 08:25 am Link

Photographer

New Art Photo

In my experience, when people keep coming forward with the same stories, there's usually something to it...Now John Travolta may be squeaky clean also, but....I doubt it.

There are many fashion photographers with more critical respect than he has-- who probably make more money, also. --Jurgen Teller, Bruce Weber, Mario Testino-- and you don't read similar stories about  their behavior.

Google Seach >News>Terry Richardson

--The guy seems pervy.

Jul 05 12 08:32 am Link

Photographer

B R U N E S C I

Bath, England, United Kingdom

Not keen on his current output, or his offstage antics, but the guy does know his way around a camera and... more importantly... he knows what pays the bills.

Just my $0.02

Ciao
Stefano
www.stefanobrunesci.com

Jul 05 12 08:35 am Link

Photographer

KonstantKarma

Campobello, South Carolina, US

This month's Vogue had a great photo by "Uncle Terry".

Jul 05 12 08:40 am Link

Photographer

ArtGlo

Peru, Illinois, US

Carlos Occidental wrote:
Pretty dumb.
Terry gets paid to take photographs.  Therefore, he is a photographer.

+1

Jul 05 12 08:45 am Link

Photographer

ArtGlo

Peru, Illinois, US

-B-R-U-N-E-S-C-I- wrote:
Not keen on his current output, or his offstage antics, but the guy does know his way around a camera and... more importantly... he knows what pays the bills.

Just my $0.02

Ciao
Stefano
www.stefanobrunesci.com

are you certain? do you know the exact details of his finances? smile

Jul 05 12 08:46 am Link

Photographer

Laubenheimer

New York, New York, US

-B-R-U-N-E-S-C-I- wrote:

Just my $0.02

Ciao
Stefano
www.stefanobrunesci.com

ArtGlo wrote:
are you certain? do you know the exact details of his finances? smile

huh?  i'm pretty certain the companies that he works for pay him. i'm sure terry knows how to get the "money shot".

Jul 05 12 08:48 am Link

Photographer

KonstantKarma

I lol'd at 'money shot'. lol

I admit I cringed a little at cutting out his photo and plastering it in my book of awesome - But his personality or means has nothing to do with the final product.

Jul 05 12 08:52 am Link

Photographer

Michael McGowan

Tucson, Arizona, US

Perhaps the OP would have made some sense if the title was "not JUST a photographer." Obviously, he's a photographer. He takes pictures. He has them published. He's a photographer. He may be other things as well, but he's definitely a photographer.

Jul 05 12 09:00 am Link

Photographer

Laubenheimer

New York, New York, US

Michael McGowan wrote:
Perhaps the OP would have made some sense if the title was "not JUST a photographer." Obviously, he's a photographer. He takes pictures. He has them published. He's a photographer. He may be other things as well, but he's definitely a photographer.

+QFT

Jul 05 12 09:40 am Link

Photographer

WIP

Cheltenham, England, United Kingdom

Benjamin Kanarek wrote:
Are you kidding??? Do you know anything about Terry Richardson and his pedigree. If he was so inclined he could shoot the most elaborate and complex productions. He was brought up in photography through his father Bob Richardson, a highly accomplished Fashion Photographer. He is a photographer who understands the importance of marketing, which has become in it's own right an art form of it's own, necessary for one to survive in the Biz today.

http://www.benjaminkanarekblog.com/2011 … ng-talent/

In looking at your work, "me thinks thou protesteth too much..."

Doesn't mean a thing he's called Terry and his fathers called Bob, following in his fathers foot steps is a hard act to follow.
Just because someones father was a great racing driver doesn't mean the son will become one too.

You don't have to be good just have a lot of good people around you example Lord Litchfield. Brilliant; art dir, assistant and models. Litchfield just pressed the shutter.

Jul 05 12 11:01 am Link

Photographer

Steve Korn

Seattle, Washington, US

Efan Bruder wrote:

Discuss.

No offense, but I bet he'd say the same of your work, if he'd ever even bother to look at it.

Jul 05 12 11:05 am Link

Photographer

Doug Jantz

Tulsa, Oklahoma, US

Don Garrett wrote:
Ya know, if I made as much money as he does, getting blow jobs, I wouldn't give a rat's ass what a handful of idiots on Model Mayhem thought of me. And I'm sure that is how he feels about it too, (if he is even aware that we exist) !
-Don

Nor does he have time for threads like this lol

Jul 05 12 11:10 am Link

Photographer

KonstantKarma

Not true. Every evening around tea time he rings me up.

"KK? This is Terry."

"Terry, how you been man?"

"Pretty good yo. Just the usual, bitches 'n hoes and castin' couch blows! Just wonderin' what those guys on ModelMayhem.com think about me."

"Oh, same old... you're a creeper."

"Figures."

Jul 05 12 11:18 am Link

Photographer

robb albrecht

Baywood-Los Osos, California, US

End of the Road Studio wrote:
I don't know who he is???????

Glad I'm not the only one.

Jul 05 12 12:30 pm Link

Photographer

Leighsphotos

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

robb albrecht wrote:

Glad I'm not the only one.

Well he's not the Pope...and unless you follow fashion and celebrity portraits it's doubtful you will come across his name.

Then again I had a model in the studio today who was flipping through some concept images and asked who took a particular shot. I replied, Mario Testino. She looks at me with a blank stare and says "never heard of him". Yet her profile states that she has been modeling and walking runways for 4 years and is agency represented.

Jul 05 12 12:57 pm Link