Forums > Photography Talk > Terry Richardson Isn't a Photographer.

Photographer

Christopher Hartman

Buena Park, California, US

Efan Bruder wrote:
This is an idea that recently popped into my head:

Terry Richardson isn't a photographer.  He's a performance artist seeing how much crap people will put up with from someone calling himself a photographer (and having a somewhat famous father in the photo business).

Discuss.

I think you're half right.

He IS a photographer. But he's likely also a performance artist.

Jul 05 12 01:06 pm Link

Photographer

radar

New York, New York, US

As far as the IRS is concerned, they define you as a pro if you make 50% or greater of your income in photography.   As far as the IRS is concerned,Terry Richardson is a pro-photographer.

Jul 05 12 01:09 pm Link

Photographer

john_ellis

Spokane, Washington, US

Nobody has the right to "rule" as to what someone else is - or isn't.

As long as Terry considers himself to be a photographer, isn't that what matters?  If someone here tells you that they think you aren't a "real photographer" based on something they didn't like or get, does that really change anything?

Nah, that's called an "opinion" and I'll spare us the expected analogy.

We really need to stop the bitchfest.  Hope everyone had a great 4th.

Jul 05 12 01:09 pm Link

Photographer

WIP

Cheltenham, England, United Kingdom

Christopher Hartman wrote:

I think you're half right.

But he's likely also a performance artist.

So that people can post forums about him such as MM.

Jul 05 12 01:11 pm Link

Model

K I C K H A M

Los Angeles, California, US

I'm not generally a huge fan of his work, but it sells...

And there are plenty of people, of plenty professions, who are creeps and low-lives. It doesn't mean they aren't still members of that profession, it just means they are creepy, low-life members of it...

Jul 05 12 01:14 pm Link

Photographer

DG at studio47

East Ridge, Tennessee, US

Jul 05 12 01:16 pm Link

Photographer

Laubenheimer

New York, New York, US

Jul 05 12 01:18 pm Link

Photographer

Don Garrett

Escondido, California, US

Don Garrett wrote:
Ya know, if I made as much money as he does, getting blow jobs, I wouldn't give a rat's ass what a handful of idiots on Model Mayhem thought of me. And I'm sure that is how he feels about it too, (if he is even aware that we exist) !
-Don

Doug Jantz wrote:
Nor does he have time for threads like this lol

He is too busy enjoying his life. Some should take that as a hint about how they should be conducting their own lives, and time.
-Don

Jul 05 12 01:20 pm Link

Photographer

john_ellis

Spokane, Washington, US

Don Garrett wrote:
He is too busy enjoying his life. Some should take that as a hint about how they should be conducting their own lives, and time.
-Don

Don, I just wanna say that it's cool having some chill people in this forum.

Hopefully it will be infectious to others. big_smile

Jul 05 12 01:30 pm Link

Photographer

Christopher Hartman

Don Garrett wrote:
Ya know, if I made as much money as he does, getting blow jobs, I wouldn't give a rat's ass what a handful of idiots on Model Mayhem thought of me. And I'm sure that is how he feels about it too, (if he is even aware that we exist) !
-Don

I think he used to be a member of MM a LONG time ago...so he probably does know we exist.  That doesn't mean he cares...but I think he knows of us.

Jul 05 12 01:31 pm Link

Photographer

Laubenheimer

New York, New York, US

I think he used to be a member of MM a LONG time ago...so he probably does know we exist.  That doesn't mean he cares...but I think he knows of us.

let me guess....terry's dad photographed him for TFMMVIP.

Jul 05 12 01:36 pm Link

Photographer

Christopher Hartman

c_h_r_i_s wrote:

I think he does it as part of his branding to land more jobs in the style he likes to shoot rather than perhaps other styles he's good at but less interested in shooting.

Jul 05 12 01:37 pm Link

Photographer

photosbydmp

Shepparton-Mooroopna, Victoria, Australia

End of the Road Studio wrote:
I don't know who he is???????

Nor i.

Jul 05 12 01:38 pm Link

Photographer

john_ellis

Spokane, Washington, US

c_h_r_i_s wrote:

I think he does it as part of his branding to land more jobs in the style he likes to shoot rather than perhaps other styles he's good at but less interested in shooting.

Or, he may do it because he's at a place where he does whatever the fuck he wants - no matter if others get offended by it.

I really don't care for the dude myself, but I respect the fact that you essentially hafta live under a rock to not know what Terry's about (if you follow fashion and/or high-profile photographers).

The funny thing is, I'm willing to bet that Terry couldn't give to fucks about the way I shoot, or you shoot, or anyone else does.

We should all just do our own thang, and let Terry worry about the shit Terry does.

Jul 05 12 01:41 pm Link

Photographer

Laubenheimer

New York, New York, US

john_ wrote:

c_h_r_i_s wrote:

Or, he may do it because he's at a place where he does whatever the fuck he wants - no matter if others get offended by it.

I really don't care for the dude myself, but I respect the fact that you essentially hafta live under a rock to not know what Terry's about.

The funny thing is, I'm willing to bet that Terry couldn't give to fucks about the way I shoot, or you shoot, or anyone else does.

We should all just do our own thang, and let Terry worry about the shit Terry does.

unless of course terry is photographing your sister.

Jul 05 12 01:42 pm Link

Photographer

john_ellis

Spokane, Washington, US

Mark Laubenheimer wrote:
unless of course terry is photographing your sister.

If my sister was at that caliber of modeling, I'm pretty sure she'd have an inkling as to how Terry was.

Just like if any of us were shooting at that level, we'd likely be apprised of the divas and princesses models.

Jul 05 12 01:50 pm Link

Photographer

Laubenheimer

New York, New York, US

john_ wrote:

If my sister was at that caliber of modeling, I'm pretty sure she'd have an inkling as to how Terry was.

Just like if any of us were shooting at that level, we'd likely be apprised of the divas and princesses models.

caliber is irrelevant when casting a female for a particular look.

Jul 05 12 01:59 pm Link

Photographer

john_ellis

Spokane, Washington, US

Mark Laubenheimer wrote:

It doesn't??? So are you under the impression that Terry fishes for models through Craigslist?

I'm being serious with that, because I'll likely never get to the rockstar status that Terry is, but I'd expect or assume he mostly works with agency models, which I'd say are typically more higher caliber on average than what we network with through our channels.

Jul 05 12 02:06 pm Link

Photographer

WIP

john_ wrote:

There are maybe a handful of photographers in the world that can dictate terms, do their own thing and get paid Terry isn't one of them. He's just good for the hype in selling clients products.

I don't think he'll be running as an iconic photographer such as Avedon or Bailey.

Jul 05 12 02:10 pm Link

Photographer

Laubenheimer

New York, New York, US

john_ wrote:
It doesn't??? So are you under the impression that Terry fishes for llamas through Craigslist?

not at all.

Jul 05 12 02:22 pm Link

Photographer

Better Souls

Cleveland Heights, Ohio, US

Mike Adams Photos wrote:
I love haters, they do so much promoting.

This. I take my stand by not talking about him.

Jul 05 12 02:24 pm Link

Photographer

Moon Pix Photography

Syracuse, New York, US

People will remember and discuss TR.

People will forget and barely mention his work.

I liken him to Snooky on Jersey Shore... She's getting paid too and no, I am not jealous of her either.

Jul 05 12 02:33 pm Link

Photographer

Mosttry

Mark Laubenheimer wrote:

is jesus the son of god?

I have to admit, I have no idea where you're going with this one, Mark.

Jul 05 12 02:35 pm Link

Photographer

AJ_In_Atlanta

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Mark Laubenheimer wrote:

At the level Terry normally shoots model selection is more a chess game with agencies, publishers, and designers.  Rarely is it just based on looks at that point.

Jul 05 12 02:35 pm Link

Photographer

Laubenheimer

New York, New York, US

AJScalzitti wrote:
At the level Terry normally shoots llama selection is more a chess game with agencies, publishers, and designers.  Rarely is it just based on looks at that point.

regardless....photographer's should be professional and act professional (regardless of who it is).  llamas should feel comfortable when doing a photoshoot, and should not be taken advantage of (regardless of who it is).

Jul 05 12 02:44 pm Link

Photographer

MC Photo

New York, New York, US

ArtGlo wrote:

are you certain? do you know the exact details of his finances? smile

The fact that Art Partner is his agency gives pretty good clues to the type of work and rates he gets.

Jul 05 12 02:46 pm Link

Model

The Grace Gabbana

Santa Rosa, California, US

Better Souls wrote:

This. I take my stand by not talking about him.

But you just talked about him with your "not talking about him" contribution. I get what you mean, but that was definitely a contradictory statement.

The the OP: you are welcome to your opinions, but is this type of trash-talking really necessary? It's already been proven that he absolutely is a photographer, and a professional one at that. You can begrudge him his success, and you can even disparage his character and intentions, but your opinions about this man who you don't personally know; seem more like projections, than an accurate portrayal of the individual.

Sounds like a bad case of sour grapes.

When will we start to celebrate our differences? Or be congratulatory instead of envious? Of course, this is all just my humble opinion.

G

Jul 05 12 03:26 pm Link

Photographer

New Art Photo

I wouldn't presume to comment on his photography; but  as someone that photographs women exclusively,  his  behavior  is the stereotype I have to fight against constantly...

http://nymag.com/daily/fashion/2010/03/ … _form.html

Jul 05 12 03:49 pm Link

Photographer

Laubenheimer

New York, New York, US

weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!

https://fashaddix.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/03/terry-richardson-dressed-as-a-woman.jpg

Jul 07 12 02:27 pm Link

Photographer

Doug Jantz

Tulsa, Oklahoma, US

MC Photo wrote:

The fact that Art Partner is his agency gives pretty good clues to the type of work and rates he gets.

Ha, I would say so!

Jul 07 12 02:31 pm Link

Photographer

Doug Jantz

Tulsa, Oklahoma, US

End of the Road Studio wrote:
I don't know who he is???????

Why are you asking????  smile

Jul 07 12 02:35 pm Link

Photographer

billy badfinger

Grand Rapids, Michigan, US

Jul 07 12 03:25 pm Link

Photographer

Kevin Russo Photography

Runnemede, New Jersey, US

It really doesn't matter what you think of him, or of me or of anyone.

It is only what you think of yourself that is of concern.

Kevin Russo -Photographer
www.KR-Photos.Com

Jul 07 12 07:29 pm Link

Photographer

BOYWITHCAMERA

Regardless of what Terry Richardson may be (in your opinion), he's having a hell of a lot more fun than you are doing whatever it is he does.  Furthermore, through this he has money that you only see in your dreams, if that.  And the fact that you feel the uncontrollable need to bag on him in an online forum, having done absolutely nothing comparable, is indicatory of something obvious.  You're just another sad dude wrongly focusing your attention.  Whether you truly hate him for vague reasons given (not likely) or you envy the shit out of him and refuse to admit it because you know you can't be his best friend (very likely), your words are meaningless until you become a crazy fuck with a connected father - and one who's published worldwide.  You know, since that's all that made him famous.  Show the world you can do what he does and then talk shit.  If not, stfu and go read Jezebel with your own kind.

Jul 07 12 09:50 pm Link

Photographer

Laubenheimer

New York, New York, US

B R U N O wrote:
Regardless of what Terry Richardson may be (in your opinion), he's having a hell of a lot more fun than you are doing whatever it is he does.  Furthermore, through this he has money that you only see in your dreams, if that.  And the fact that you feel you feel the uncontrollable need to bag on him in an online forum, having done absolutely nothing comparable, is indicatory of something obvious.  You're just another sad dude wrongly focusing your attention.  Whether you truly hate him for vague reasons given (not likely) or you envy the shit out of him and refuse to admit it because you know you can't be his best friend (very likely), your words are meaningless until you become a crazy fuck with a connected father - and one who's published worldwide.  You know, since that's all that made him famous.  Show the world you can do what he does and then talk shit.  If not, stfu and go read Jezebel with your own kind.

it's sad when the world can put terry on a pedestal.

https://fashaddix.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/03/terry-richardson-with.jpg

Jul 07 12 10:52 pm Link

Photographer

Doug Jantz

Tulsa, Oklahoma, US

B R U N O wrote:
Regardless of what Terry Richardson may be (in your opinion), he's having a hell of a lot more fun than you are doing whatever it is he does.  Furthermore, through this he has money that you only see in your dreams, if that.  And the fact that you feel you feel the uncontrollable need to bag on him in an online forum, having done absolutely nothing comparable, is indicatory of something obvious.  You're just another sad dude wrongly focusing your attention.  Whether you truly hate him for vague reasons given (not likely) or you envy the shit out of him and refuse to admit it because you know you can't be his best friend (very likely), your words are meaningless until you become a crazy fuck with a connected father - and one who's published worldwide.  You know, since that's all that made him famous.  Show the world you can do what he does and then talk shit.  If not, stfu and go read Jezebel with your own kind.

+1

Jul 07 12 10:58 pm Link

Photographer

Armando D Photography

Houston, Texas, US

Doug Jantz wrote:
Nor does he have time for threads like this lol

-Don

+1

My thought, yes he is. If you looked at his web diary as my opinion he has improved. Three parts that he in way imparts all of us. 

1. Where he has the model next to the window with natural light shining through using a board to the models right side to softly reflect light is = aesthetics of photography.

2. The "techinical" is when he uses the mirror less camera to produce a beautiful high ISo makes a pleasing photo, hint: its a Panasonic'

3. The perversion side that comes out :-) Consider this when as people when we can slip out of our business suit and technical perfect lighting / 50 ISO photography suit. To put on our Hawaiian shirts, beatup shorts, and tattered hats (this isn't just one sided to men (to be fair) and embrace being Pervy smile

Jul 07 12 11:52 pm Link

Photographer

WIP

Terry brings hope to GWC's and pervs.

Jul 08 12 03:18 am Link

Photographer

KFM Designs

Augusta, Missouri, US

You people are funny!

It does not matter what we think, he makes a living at a trade that he enjoys, that is better than 1/2 of the photographers on here.

I look forward to the next judgement in these forums.

Jul 08 12 10:11 am Link

Photographer

udor

New York, New York, US

Efan Bruder wrote:
This is an idea that recently popped into my head:

Terry Richardson isn't a photographer.  He's a performance artist seeing how much crap people will put up with from someone calling himself a photographer (and having a somewhat famous father in the photo business).

Discuss.

Yet, the result of this "performance artist" is used in ad campaigns etc.

I think what you see as performance artistry is simply a knack for PR!!!

Jul 08 12 10:13 am Link