Forums > Model Colloquy > Tattoos on art nude models - advice/opinions?

Model

P I X I E

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Doll Face Imagery wrote:
I personally am in LOVE with tatted models. I seek them out over non-tatted ladies. I love to photograph women who have made art pieces of their bodies! I too am pretty covered in tats and had lots of jobs when I was modeling before I started being the photog instead of the subject!

smile

Jul 11 12 08:50 am Link

Model

Loona Wynd

South Portland, Maine, US

Most of the art classes I have applied to do modeling work for actually look for models with tats and body modification as they add an additional challenge to the figure drawing classes as you have to make sure you incorporate the lines of the tat with the lines of the body.

Jul 11 12 09:53 am Link

Photographer

Thornton Harris

San Francisco, California, US

P I X I E wrote:
Yeah, some of my art nudes have been in art expos in the past. My tattoos were visible on the photos. Gawd, what was the photographer thinking? roll tongue

Most of the photographers on this site are trying to copy work that was shot about 50 years ago. Thus they don't like tattoos. In new art, some models have tattoos, some don't. There are fewer people making new art.

Jul 11 12 05:56 pm Link

Photographer

CS Dewitt

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Ally JH wrote:
Hey there, just a quick question on behalf of a friend whos looking to get into modelling, so not on here as of yet.

She is interested in getting into artistic nude work (not glamour/playboy style) but is quite heavily tattoed, ie sleeves and a couple on legs, feet and back I think. But is otherwise fairly natural looking - no fake tans, cosmetic surgery, bleached out hair.

Anyway, question being would her tattoed look impact negatively on getting art nude work? Is it more desireable to have a more natural look or would it not make a big difference?

I couldn't really give her any advice on this subject and whats more desireable for the genre, so any advice would be greatly appreciated I'm sure.

Cheers!

I enjoy models that have Tattoos.... And sometimes, the more the better....

Jul 11 12 07:26 pm Link

Model

Loona Wynd

South Portland, Maine, US

So far it hasn't been an issue with my shots, but that's all right.  The people who have worked with me have done so knowing about the tattoos and we have worked with it or around it.

Jul 11 12 09:02 pm Link

Model

Uber Dami

New Haven, Connecticut, US

some photogs will love it, some will loathe it.  as for everyones bickering over copyright issues and releases for tattoo work let's set this very straight....1. a copyrighted logo tattooed on a model in an image that is sold of course can cause a huge issue for the company that logo is associated with.  i have a gears of war tattoo and of course im sure that video game company would not like their logo in some images hence why if its an image i know will be used in marketing for another product, i hide it.  as for a tattoo artist getting all uptight over their original work being shown, about .01% may be famous enough for this to be a concern....so get over it.  this goes for tattoo artists and models alike.  2.  needed to add this in....models with teeny tiny tattoos on them don't quite qualify as tattooed models and their input isn't relevant when it comes to heavily tattooed models asking advice.  just my 2 cents there.  but honestly....your tiny butterfly in comparison to my large arm pieces or the model in questions large pieces don't really compare, so your experience doesn't help in this situation.

Jul 11 12 09:13 pm Link

Photographer

dcsmooth

Detroit, Michigan, US

Thornton Harris wrote:
Most of the photographers on this site are trying to copy work that was shot about 50 years ago. Thus they don't like tattoos. In new art, some models have tattoos, some don't. There are fewer people making new art.

This. Exactly. Although I think that number might even be 100 years ago in some cases, and you also have to throw in artwork like drawings and paintings done by the well known leaders of the day like Schiele and Klimt.

You just didn't find tattooed female models in traditional artwork or in fine art photography as recently as 50 years ago. The exceptions were very few and far between.

Someday just to be different, I may choose to do a photo session with a female who is totally covered in tattoos.

Jul 11 12 09:14 pm Link

Model

Jen B

Phoenix, Arizona, US

Über Dami wrote:
some photogs will love it, some will loathe it.  as for everyones bickering over copyright issues and releases for tattoo work let's set this very straight....1. a copyrighted logo tattooed on a model in an image that is sold of course can cause a huge issue for the company that logo is associated with. ...

Tattoos as copyrightten images? Who would be the one to get sued, the person bearing the tattoo, the person who inked the tattoo or the late comer who happened took of picture of the other two's collaboration?

This is such a crazy idea! I think a tattoo belongs to the wearer created by the artist who made it. I seriously cannot imagine any tattoo artist wanting the wearer to keep it covered and 'not dare' let it be seen or photographed.

Crazy idea.
Jen

Jul 12 12 10:32 am Link

Model

Laura BrokenDoll

Modena, Emilia-Romagna, Italy

I have noticed that a lot of heavily tattooed model work a lot with the art nudes, and the number seems to increase.

I think what is to avoid is the in-between: you should keep your skin "clean" (or get small tattoos easy to hide), or go for bigger pieces.

Jul 12 12 12:17 pm Link

Photographer

Rays Fine Art

New York, New York, US

Gennaver wrote:
Tattoos as copyrightten images? Who would be the one to get sued, the person bearing the tattoo, the person who inked the tattoo or the late comer who happened took of picture of the other two's collaboration?

This is such a crazy idea! I think a tattoo belongs to the wearer created by the artist who made it. I seriously cannot imagine any tattoo artist wanting the wearer to keep it covered and 'not dare' let it be seen or photographed.

Crazy idea.
Jen

Doesn't matter what you think.  It's what the law says that counts.  The copyright belongs to the creator of the art work in its original fixed permanent form.  The medium doesn't matter.  A good place to visit:  http://www.copyright.gov/

Jul 13 12 08:09 am Link

Photographer

Rob Photosby

Brisbane, Queensland, Australia

Just adding a vote for the negative.  As a rule of thumb, the bigger and more prominent the tattoos, the less likely I am to engage a model.

Jul 13 12 08:06 pm Link

Photographer

GER Photography

Imperial, California, US

Kent Art Photography wrote:
She is unlikely to be successful;  anything that breaks up the lines and flow of the body is bad.

This, 100%!!

Jul 13 12 08:11 pm Link

Photographer

Farenell Photography

Albany, New York, US

Ally JH wrote:
Anyway, question being would her tattoed look impact negatively on getting art nude work? Is it more desireable to have a more natural look or would it not make a big difference?

I can pretty much guarantee you that having tattoos WILL lose her jobs. The philosophy being many people don't want their art to compete w/ someone else's. Course growing a thick skin & handling rejection is part of the territory regardless of what content they end up doing.

That being said, there will be many people (like myself) who are either indifferent about body art or are fascinated by it & thus having it will be an asset.

If its something your friend wishes to do, tell her to go for it. A person only lives once.

Jul 13 12 08:17 pm Link

Photographer

Silverstone Productions

Eugene, Oregon, US

Personally, I do not mind tattoos one way or the other. I've shot models who had lots of tattoos and it worked out great! Photographers who agree with me, however, appear to be the exception to the rule.
So be sure that she knows it will not be easy to fine work as a tattooed model, but if she works hard, learns the ropes, and has a strong portfolio and good networking skills, she can definitely make it.

Also be sure to let her know about alternative beauty sites such as SuicideGirls and other similar sites. There are quite a few, and they are always looking for new talent.

Jul 13 12 08:27 pm Link

Photographer

Saint Robert Photog

San Antonio, Texas, US

I think it would be nice if a "Tattoo Box" can be put on the browse/search menu.

I prefer none, as long as I'm not looking at a billboard of tat's.

Aug 01 12 11:10 pm Link

Model

Nicolette

Houston, Texas, US

Meh.. Just to break shit up for a minute, I shoot art nudes for a living and I have 8 tattoos. 4 of them are fairly large. None of them are concealable. Yet, I've been in books. I've had images of me sold in gallery showings. I make a fairly comfortable living.

Yes, I market myself for genre's outside art nudes as well. A successful model can shoot more than one genre. I try to make sure I'm capable of shooting more than one genre. But, most of my money comes from shooting art nudes.

I've done just fine.
/shrug.

Aug 02 12 08:40 am Link

Model

Koryn

Boston, Massachusetts, US

Nicolette wrote:
Meh.. Just to break shit up for a minute, I shoot art nudes for a living and I have 8 tattoos. 4 of them are fairly large. None of them are concealable. Yet, I've been in books. I've had images of me sold in gallery showings. I make a fairly comfortable living.

Yes, I market myself for genre's outside art nudes as well. A successful model can shoot more than one genre. I try to make sure I'm capable of shooting more than one genre. But, most of my money comes from shooting art nudes.

I've done just fine.
/shrug.

If you notice, no one paid much attention to commentary from actual, working/income-earning nude models who posted in the thread.

Kind of the way of MM.

There's this magical, unwritten rule that applies to posts in Model Colloquy. If the OP is seeking experiential information, particularly information relevant models' experiences, the first page will be full of photographers bickering with each other, with maybe 4 random interjections by models - which no one seems to read.

Aug 02 12 12:18 pm Link

Photographer

Jhono Bashian

Cleveland, Ohio, US

Jeffrey M Fletcher wrote:
Yes it has an impact. She'll get work from photographers who want to shoot models with tattoos and will not get work from photographers who don't want to shoot models with tattoos. There is a preference and it does affect availability of gigs. Sometimes it will work in her favor, other times not. She'll probably have to work harder networking to access favorable markets and individuals.

Plain and simple, nuf said....

Aug 02 12 12:22 pm Link

Model

P I X I E

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Nicolette wrote:

I've done just fine.
/shrug.

ShivaKitty wrote:
If you notice, no one paid much attention to commentary from actual, working/income-earning nude models who posted in the thread.

Kind of the way of MM.

There's this magical, unwritten rule that applies to posts in Model Colloquy. If the OP is seeking experiential information, particularly information relevant models' experiences, the first page will be full of photographers bickering with each other, with maybe 4 random interjections by models - which no one seems to read.

Ain't it the truth... Sigh.

Aug 02 12 12:37 pm Link

Artist/Painter

ethasleftthebuilding

Key West, Florida, US

To me, there is no absolute rule concerning tattoos on a model.

There are some who, in my opinion, are not suitable for my work because of their tattoos.

There are some who have tattoos I can work around or cover up.

There are some who have tattoos that I incorporate into the work or even feature as the focus of the work.

It all depends on the individual model.

Aug 02 12 12:40 pm Link

Photographer

TEB-Art Photo

Carrboro, North Carolina, US

I really prefer un-inked, but it's not an absolute deal-killer. If you ARE inked, please disclose in your self-description or portfolio.

Aug 02 12 12:56 pm Link

Model

Nicolette

Houston, Texas, US

ShivaKitty wrote:

Kind of the way of MM.

Trufaxx.

Aug 02 12 12:59 pm Link

Model

opioid

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, US

JadeDRed wrote:
If she is heavily tattooed then she must accept that will define her as a model and she will mostly need to look for people who want to hire a tattooed model. As long as she accepts those limits she should give it a go and see if the market is there.

The only problem is when people dont accept what they are and try to chase jobs they are unsuitable for, that just wastes time and breeds bitterness. She has to accept she WILL be rejected on the basis of her tattoos.

yup. i know a lot of girls who do art nudes and are heavily tattooed out in my area, but that isn't the only type of work they do. they work with photographers who look for that sort of thing. it's a niche...but it's a popular niche.

and no, BDSM/fetish isn't the only kind of work you can do. i'm heavily tattooed. though i don't do art nude, so it hasn't been something i've had to consider...i do have to seek out alt gigs. but there is far more to the alt world than "bdsm" at one person seemed to suggest. there's far to to fetish itself than bdsm, even!

your friend should just try to break into modeling, period. and follow the types of gigs and networking that comes out of it. modeling is a social thing, based heavily on that sort of thing...finding the gigs that want you, or getting to a position where the ones that want you just come in.

as JadeDRed said, if she accepts what her look her is and who she is and uses that within her modeling pursuits, she'll be fine. If she picks a niche before she has any gigs...that doesn't work out so well.

Aug 02 12 03:39 pm Link

Digital Artist

Bryan Paul Photography

BOISE, Idaho, US

Depends on the shoot and what you're doing. I prefer models WITHOUT tattoo's. I usually have to have them cover them up. Takes more time.
For some shoots you want tattoo's. JMHO

Aug 02 12 03:47 pm Link

Photographer

GER Photography

Imperial, California, US

The problem I see with tattoos and art nudes is that the tattoos are someone else's idea of art rather than what the photographer may have in mind. Tattoos kind of limit you to photpgrhers who are looking for tattoos, (there are allot out there who do).

Aug 02 12 03:58 pm Link

Photographer

ontherocks

Salem, Oregon, US

tons of models have tattoos. she will have company. small tattoos can easily be photoshopped out or hidden on set. large ones (or full sleeves) can be problematic. i prefer no tattoos given a choice.

some photographers think tattoos are cool and others do not. i saw a playboy-type model refer to tattoo whores the other day. so even the models are divided on this one.

Aug 02 12 04:00 pm Link

Photographer

EyePhoto Photography

Phoenix, Arizona, US

It depends on the type of shoot she wants to work on ...

Aug 02 12 04:02 pm Link

Photographer

EyePhoto Photography

Phoenix, Arizona, US

twoharts wrote:
tons of model have tattoos. she will have company. small tattoos can easily be photoshopped out or hidden on set. large ones (or full sleeves) can be problematic. i prefer no tattoos given a choice.

some photographers think tattoos are cool and others do not. i saw a playboy-type model refer to tattoo whores the other day. so even the models are divided on this one.

To a model that calls another model a "tattoo whore", remember this..

"The only difference between a tattooed person and a person who isn't tattooed is that a tattooed person doesn't care if you're tattooed or not."

Aug 02 12 04:03 pm Link

Photographer

Images By Joseph

Naperville, Illinois, US

If I am shooting art nudes I would go with the model with few or no tattoos every time.

Aug 02 12 04:14 pm Link

Model

Raquel Rayne

New York, New York, US

Nicolette wrote:

I've done just fine.
/shrug.

ShivaKitty wrote:

Kind of the way of MM.

Quoting this for emphasis.

A few more MM models I can think of off the top of my head who are significantly tattooed and make an income shooting art nudes (among other genres):
Cam Damage
Echo Nittolitto
Lauren Peralta
Palesaent

I don't know if the girl the OP is talking about can be as good as these women, but maybe she has the same flair.

Aug 02 12 09:10 pm Link

Body Painter

Extreme Body Art

South Jordan, Utah, US

Raquel Rayne wrote:
Quoting this for emphasis.

A few more MM models I can think of off the top of my head who are significantly tattooed and make an income shooting art nudes (among other genres):
Cam Damage
Echo Nittolitto
Lauren Peralta
Palesaent

I don't know if the girl the OP is talking about can be as good as these women, but maybe she has the same flair.

Too many photographers speak with 'certainty'.

and you know what?

Just like Rachel posted... the answer is "it depends".

There are so many GWCs on this site that as long as the model "gets naked"... they will be happy to call it "fine art" if that is what it takes to get a naked model in front of their lens.

There are artists on here too, I'm not contesting that, but it really seams to me that a model will make money if she has a great look and willing to do nudes (tattooed or not... generally speaking of course.).

Aug 02 12 10:06 pm Link

Model

Tera Sonin

Winston-Salem, North Carolina, US

Just checking in! *boop!* ^_^ That is all!

Good day!

Aug 02 12 10:21 pm Link

Photographer

Designit - Edward Olson

West Hollywood, California, US

ShivaKitty wrote:

Kind of the way of MM.

And there is a second rule that a model will incorrectly posit that the OP was asking particularly for a model's experiential input (when, in fact, they were asking for input from no one specifically), often based solely on the model's incorrect belief that "Model Colloquy" is for discussions between or seeking responses from models.

I believe that a model's perspective is limited only the jobs that they either got in spite of having tattoos or where they were told that they weren't getting the job because of their tattoos. They will never know about the jobs they weren't told they didn't get because of their tattoos.

Photographers will know exactly how many jobs they did or didn't give to a model because of or in spite of tattoos.

Aug 02 12 10:29 pm Link

Photographer

Laurence J Power

London, England, United Kingdom

Personally I shoot mainly swimwear, I will not shoot any girl with either tattoos or piercings (other than ears). Those people wanting tattoos in shot are better off hiring a clean model and a bodypainter, that way the "tattoo" will work with the image required.

Aug 03 12 01:25 am Link

Model

P I X I E

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Nicolette wrote:

Yes, I market myself for genre's outside art nudes as well. A successful llama can shoot more than one genre. I try to make sure I'm capable of shooting more than one genre. But, most of my money comes from shooting art nudes.

I've done just fine.
/shrug.

But you could be making soooooooooooo much more money if you didn't have tattoos! Think of all the gigs you lost because of them!

roll

Aug 03 12 06:33 am Link

Photographer

S

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, US

There's a heavily tattooed nude model with whom I shoot on a regular basis, and our photos are being featured in two upcoming anthologies.  I also exhibit images from her on a regular basis.  Sometimes even in actual art galleries.  People buy them.

Go team.

Aug 03 12 06:36 am Link

Model

P I X I E

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Sita Mae wrote:
There's a heavily tattooed nude model with whom I shoot on a regular basis, and our photos are being featured in two upcoming anthologies.  I also exhibit images from her on a regular basis.  Sometimes even in actual art galleries.  People buy them.

Go team.

But it's impossible! Tattooed models can't make it to actual art galleries!

tongue

Aug 03 12 06:49 am Link

Model

Nicolette

Houston, Texas, US

Designit - Edward Olson wrote:

And there is a second rule that a model will incorrectly posit that the OP was asking particularly for a model's experiential input (when, in fact, they were asking for input from no one specifically), often based solely on the model's incorrect belief that "Model Colloquy" is for discussions between or seeking responses from models.

I believe that a model's perspective is limited only the jobs that they either got in spite of having tattoos or where they were told that they weren't getting the job because of their tattoos. They will never know about the jobs they weren't told they didn't get because of their tattoos.

Photographers will know exactly how many jobs they did or didn't give to a model because of or in spite of tattoos.

IN short, ladies and gentlemen, PHOTOGRAPHERS KNOW EVERYTHING AND US POOR LITTLE MODELS HAVE NO IDEA OF OUR OWN WORTH/LACK THEREOF.

https://26.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lvphyg2NLX1qd4i1ao1_400.gif

Aug 03 12 10:02 am Link

Model

Nicolette

Houston, Texas, US

P I X I E wrote:

But you could be making soooooooooooo much more money if you didn't have tattoos! Think of all the gigs you lost because of them!

roll

For every gig I lost because I have tattoos, I gained even more. Lots of people  really fucking dig my ink, especially my ribs and leg. The few nerds that recognize the tattoos on my back flip their shit.

I've been told I don't fit a project because of my ink. I'm cool with that. I've also been told [and far more often] that someone wants to work with me AND pay me BECAUSE of my ink.

/shrug/

Aug 03 12 10:06 am Link

Model

Poses

Kansas City, Missouri, US

Yes, I have lost work because I have tattoos (when I modeled nude). I am 100% certain I could have made more money had I been unmodified. I never once had anyone tell me I was hired because of my tattoos, despite them being elegantly done.  I have modeled off and on for about seven years.

If she wishes to pursue exclusively art nudes, she should consider art schools and drawing groups in addition to photographers.

Aug 03 12 10:30 am Link