Forums > Model Colloquy > Tattoos on art nude models - advice/opinions?

Model

P I X I E

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Nicolette wrote:

For every gig I lost because I have tattoos, I gained even more. Lots of people  really fucking dig my ink, especially my ribs and leg. The few nerds that recognize the tattoos on my back flip their shit.

I've been told I don't fit a project because of my ink. I'm cool with that. I've also been told [and far more often] that someone wants to work with me AND pay me BECAUSE of my ink.

/shrug/

I know, love. smile

It's kinda ridiculous, really. Sigh.

Aug 03 12 10:41 am Link

Model

Nicolette

Houston, Texas, US

P I X I E wrote:

I know, love. smile

It's kinda ridiculous, really. Sigh.

I agree. My height and half-shaved head and [once upon a time tongue] blue hair was a MUCH bigger limitation that my tattoos ever were

Aug 03 12 11:06 am Link

Model

P I X I E

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Nicolette wrote:

I agree. My height and half-shaved head and [once upon a time tongue] blue hair was a MUCH bigger limitation that my tattoos ever were

Agreed on the height thing. So much more limiting than tattoos.

Aug 03 12 11:19 am Link

Model

Nicolette

Houston, Texas, US

P I X I E wrote:

Agreed on the height thing. So much more limiting than tattoos.

Trufaxx.

Aug 03 12 11:46 am Link

Photographer

Rick Athearn

Boulder, Colorado, US

J  Welborn wrote:

This is the answer

+1

Aug 03 12 11:53 am Link

Photographer

GeM Photographic

Racine, Wisconsin, US

Nicolette wrote:

Blue hair is good, it made you really easy to spot at the train station.

Aug 03 12 08:44 pm Link

Photographer

Model Mentor Studio

Saint Catharines-Niagara, Ontario, Canada

I freekin love nicely tattoed models. Trouble is many of them go for cheap artists...and like everything else, it shows.

Aug 04 12 04:47 am Link

Model

Nicolette

Houston, Texas, US

GeM Photographic wrote:

Blue hair is good, it made you really easy to spot at the train station.

Hahaha! This is true, this is true. big_smile

Aug 04 12 12:14 pm Link

Photographer

Jerry Nemeth

Dearborn, Michigan, US

It all depends on how many tattoos, the size of the tattoos and where they are located on the body.

Aug 04 12 12:21 pm Link

Photographer

Mark C Smith

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

In my opinion, heavily tattooed is a lot less limiting than having one small tattoo right in the middle of your arm or above your breast. When a photographer wants an inked model, he doesn't want somebody with Mickey Mouse on their ankle. When you've got a full-sleeve or back piece or what have you, it'll become much more part of the scene/feel than a small tattoo that will just draw the eye to one very small spot.

Aug 04 12 12:58 pm Link

Model

Grouchy Retired Nova

Tucson, Arizona, US

ShivaKitty wrote:

If you notice, no one paid much attention to commentary from actual, working/income-earning nude models who posted in the thread.

Kind of the way of MM.

There's this magical, unwritten rule that applies to posts in Model Colloquy. If the OP is seeking experiential information, particularly information relevant models' experiences, the first page will be full of photographers bickering with each other, with maybe 4 random interjections by models - which no one seems to read.

I'm with you two.  I have 10 tattoos (14 if you count the radiation markers) and have them exactly where it counts:  biceps, lower back, shoulders, ankle, thigh, chest. 

I have been told occasionally that my tattoos were unacceptable and I wasn't booked because of it.  However, I regularly heard that my tattoos were the reason why I was booked.  I've been published with them quite a few times.  I've had plenty of prints sold with them.  For every photographer that bristled at the fact that I have tattoos, there were plenty that were thrilled with them and I made a nice living as a model for many years.  Of course, I worked in every genre that I could, but art nudes made up the bulk of my income.

There's really something for everyone, when it comes to the modeling/ photography arena.   Tattoos, height, hairstyle, age... it can be worked with, in most situations.  If the OP's friend pays her dues, builds up a good port, a good reputation and has some talent for modeling, she'll find work.

Aug 04 12 01:21 pm Link

Model

Nicolette

Houston, Texas, US

Lieza Nova wrote:
I'm with you two.  I have 10 tattoos (14 if you count the radiation markers) and have them exactly where it counts:  biceps, lower back, shoulders, ankle, thigh, chest. 

I have been told occasionally that my tattoos were unacceptable and I wasn't booked because of it.  However, I regularly heard that my tattoos were the reason why I was booked.  I've been published with them quite a few times.  I've had plenty of prints sold with them.  For every photographer that bristled at the fact that I have tattoos, there were plenty that were thrilled with them and I made a nice living as a model for many years.  Of course, I worked in every genre that I could, but art nudes made up the bulk of my income.

There's really something for everyone, when it comes to the modeling/ photography arena.   Tattoos, height, hairstyle, age... it can be worked with, in most situations.  If the OP's friend pays her dues, builds up a good port, a good reputation and has some talent for modeling, she'll find work.

https://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m3kv37BxqS1r40nd2.gif

I have a small one on my chest and shoulder blade, 2 on my lower back, my ribs, my calf, my thigh/hip [and the thigh piece is massive], and my foot. Can't hide them. But I do just fine.

Aug 04 12 01:56 pm Link

Photographer

CS Dewitt

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Ally JH wrote:
Hey there, just a quick question on behalf of a friend whos looking to get into modelling, so not on here as of yet.

She is interested in getting into artistic nude work (not glamour/playboy style) but is quite heavily tattoed, ie sleeves and a couple on legs, feet and back I think. But is otherwise fairly natural looking - no fake tans, cosmetic surgery, bleached out hair.

Anyway, question being would her tattoed look impact negatively on getting art nude work? Is it more desireable to have a more natural look or would it not make a big difference?

I couldn't really give her any advice on this subject and whats more desireable for the genre, so any advice would be greatly appreciated I'm sure.

Cheers!

I LOVE photographing Models with Tattoos... Especially, if many are colored. If they are Outline/un-filled in tattoos, in my opinion, take away from the artistic value in the photos.....

Aug 05 12 12:36 pm Link

Model

P I X I E

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

CSDewitt Photo wrote:

I LOVE photographing Models with Tattoos... Especially, if many are colored. If they are Outline/un-filled in tattoos, in my opinion, take away from the artistic value in the photos.....

Big tattoos can't be finished in one sitting. Just throwing this out there.

Aug 06 12 07:59 am Link

Model

Andy Virus

Richmond, Virginia, US

P I X I E wrote:
I do art nudes and I have tattoos. It depends on the photographer's preference. Most of whom I've worked with didn't care.

+1

I did a few art nude shoots and I have a chest piece.  It's all just personal preference.  Personally, for my photography, I'd shoot art nude models both ways.  That's just me.

Aug 06 12 08:10 am Link

Model

Nicolette

Houston, Texas, US

P I X I E wrote:

Big tattoos can't be finished in one sitting. Just throwing this out there.

Indeed. My thigh isn't done yet because it's massive and will take multiple sittings to finish.

Aug 06 12 10:35 pm Link

Photographer

R.EYE.R

Tokyo, Tokyo, Japan

Why not?

Aug 06 12 10:38 pm Link

Model

P I X I E

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Nicolette wrote:

Indeed. My thigh isn't done yet because it's massive and will take multiple sittings to finish.

Same for my calf. I need to get it finished by next month, hopefully!

Aug 07 12 06:57 am Link

Model

Nicolette

Houston, Texas, US

P I X I E wrote:

Same for my calf. I need to get it finished by next month, hopefully!

I'm hoping to have my thigh done [and colored] by September. Then.. on to my shin!

Aug 07 12 11:44 am Link