Forums > General Industry > When models bring ugly wardrobes on TF shoots

Photographer

Gems of Nature in N Atl

North Atlanta, Georgia, US

we keep a LOT of wardrobe alternatives in our studio however to avoid problems it is best to be very specific in telling the model what you want her to bring AND for her to indicate whether she has the item(s) or not. i.e.
do you have a sweater dress?
do you have a figure flattering long dress?
do you have jeans?
do you have a bikini?
do you have heels?
do you have a long sleeve single color blouse
whatever... item by item confirmation...

Oct 14 12 11:49 am Link

Photographer

imcFOTO

Bothell, Washington, US

Antediluvian Design wrote:
What can a photographer do?

I always have clothes that can be used (currently 2 full racks plus 30+ prs shoes) - and I tell the model to bring anything she wants but make she her items are photogenic :-)   We always do a mix and match thing - her stuff/my stuff - whatever works.

If you have a specific theme in mind, the photographer needs to either have the appropriate stuff or ensure the model does.

Many of the models I've worked with don't have lots of money - heck they are modelling sometimes to try and supplement their income. Don't expect everyone to dress like Paris Hilton.

Oct 14 12 12:22 pm Link

Model

LizzyB

Rochester, New York, US

unless nudity was already agreed upon previously, i doubt that suggestion would go over well tongue

Oct 14 12 12:27 pm Link

Photographer

Jay Farrell

Nashville, Tennessee, US

Nudes big_smile

Oct 14 12 01:28 pm Link

Model

P I X I E

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Through Elizabeths Eyes wrote:
Be more specific about you want them to bring.

Have your own wardrobe in stock.

Ask for photos before hand.

Make do.

Shoot nudes.

+1

Seriously. But then again, I'm a nude model. I don't own lots of fancy clothes. If you want a certain piece, either provide it yourself or compensate me.

Oct 14 12 02:43 pm Link

Model

Cole Morrison

Portland, Oregon, US

Be more specific in your initial message or casting as to what you want. Show example photos if neccesary. Ask for photos of what she is going to bring so you can make suggestions. There are so many things you can do.

Oct 14 12 02:44 pm Link

Photographer

AJ_In_Atlanta

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Shame this thread could not be re titled to "when photographers don't bring a stylist to a shoot..."

Seriously invest in your own work and put in the time.

Oct 14 12 02:48 pm Link

Photographer

cubicmicron photography

Atlanta, Georgia, US

I started gradually building up a little wardrobe.  It is surprising how often some of my stuff will be chosen over personal items,  accessories especially.

Oct 14 12 03:02 pm Link

Model

SweetGirlyGirl

Augusta-Richmond, Georgia, US

I LOVE when photographer's have clothing for me to choose from.
Even better when they let me keep something I've worn!
It gives me a chance to shoot in something I wouldn't have thought about, and it adds to my wardrobe!

But, I've had photographers be very specific on what they want me to bring.
Sometimes I have to go out a purchase like a white tank, but its worth it to have a great image out of.

Oct 14 12 03:23 pm Link

Photographer

Loki Studio

Royal Oak, Michigan, US

Planing produces solid results more consistently. Why waste your time on a shoot when you are not reasonably certain that you will get strong new photos for your book?  Planing meetings are the best tool to confirm the model's look and reliability, plan clothing/location/styling, and get far better results.

Oct 14 12 03:33 pm Link

Photographer

M Pandolfo Photography

Tampa, Florida, US

AJScalzitti wrote:
Why would you leave that to a model?  Seriously I know not everyone has a full team to shoot with and finding a good stylist if you don't do a lot of commercial work is difficult.  If that is the case style your own shoots.  Decide on your concepts and ideas before the shoot and work with your MUA to get an idea on colors then source wardrobe.

It's a TF* shoot so it's for your portfolio, no reason to waste time and effrot half assing it.

I'm trying to think back when I first started and had my first shoot with a model. I think I was so wrapped up in scheduling the shoot and taking care of "my end" that I never even discussed exact wardrobe with the model and she showed up with a bunch of "stuff" and we picked through it on-site.

I worked with what she had but I was such a noob I didn't then realize that wardrobe WAS a big part of the "my end." It wasn't the case that I felt like I was making demands and would be turned away by requesting certain wardrobe (though I'm sure that might be the case for some new photographers) but just ASSUMED a model would have great clothes and it never entered my mind to specify. It makes me laugh now.

Of course, as you progress, you realize all aspects of the shoot are equally vital and nothing should be overlooked. But as an inexperienced photographer it's daunting enough just to perform a shoot with a model, let alone control it.

I actually think a lot of new photographers set up at TF* shoot and everything is just a play-it-by-ear scenario. They don't really organize anything and just leave makeup and wardrobe up to the model. Beyond, "location and time" there isn't a whole lot of planning going on.

Oct 14 12 03:44 pm Link

Model

Jessie Shannon

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Pay them so they can get a new wardrobe lol

Oct 14 12 03:45 pm Link

Photographer

AJ_In_Atlanta

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Michael Pandolfo wrote:

I'm trying to think back when I first started and had my first shoot with a model. I think I was so wrapped up in scheduling the shoot and taking care of "my end" that I never even discussed exact wardrobe with the model and she showed up with a bunch of "stuff" and we picked through it on-site.

I worked with what she had but I was such a noob I didn't then realize that wardrobe WAS a big part of the "my end." It wasn't the case that I felt like I was making demands and would be turned away by requesting certain wardrobe (though I'm sure that might be the case for some new photographers) but just ASSUMED a model would have great clothes and it never entered my mind to specify. It makes me laugh now.

Of course, as you progress, you realize all aspects of the shoot are equally vital and nothing should be overlooked. But as an inexperienced photographer it's daunting enough just to perform a shoot with a model, let alone control it.

I actually think a lot of new photographers set up at TF* shoot and everything is just a play-it-by-ear scenario. They don't really organize anything and just leave makeup and wardrobe up to the model. Beyond, "location and time" there isn't a whole lot of planning going on.

That is part of the problem, at least for those that want to become professionals.  Way more time is spent as producer and project manager then actually behind the lens.

Oct 14 12 03:52 pm Link

Photographer

M Pandolfo Photography

Tampa, Florida, US

AJScalzitti wrote:
That is part of the problem, at least for those that want to become professionals.  Way more time is spent as producer and project manager then actually behind the lens.

And more time is spent behind the lens than on the pre-shoot planning to make that time behind the lens productive. Absolutely.

Oct 14 12 03:58 pm Link

Photographer

Photos by Lorrin

Eugene, Oregon, US

Model, I am currently talking to, says she has lots of clothes but since I can not see it and choose for her.

I have given her several themes to work from or from the dance outfits she has but she is still having a hard time picturing what to wear.

Her port is lacking variety.

PS she is being paid.

Oct 14 12 04:16 pm Link

Model

Lanna_

Seattle, Washington, US

I'm a model, not a wardrobe stylist.

I don't have the time, desire, or budget to style shoots to perfection.

I have basic things that I'd wear to an agency casting and occasional fun pieces for me, but my wardrobe is not particularly expansive.

If you don't like the results you're getting with your models, then get a stylist or designer involved.

Oct 15 12 10:17 am Link

Photographer

DOUGLASFOTOS

Los Angeles, California, US

I am not scared to Edit. But...I usually tell them what is cool, before the shoot. I had one model who brought all Brown clothes...and one model bring All Gray...

Made for a very quick shoot. lol

Oct 15 12 10:19 am Link

Model

P I X I E

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Lanna_ wrote:
I'm a model, not a wardrobe stylist.

I don't have the time, desire, or budget to style shoots to perfection.

I have basic things that I'd wear to an agency casting and occasional fun pieces for me, but my wardrobe is not particularly expansive.

If you don't like the results you're getting with your models, then get a stylist or designer involved.

+1

Oct 15 12 10:29 am Link

Photographer

Art of the nude

Grand Rapids, Michigan, US

If it's a problem that often, you could

Make do.

Shoot nudes.

Pretty much do that.  Or get a wardrobe stylist.

Oct 15 12 11:00 am Link

Photographer

Art of the nude

Grand Rapids, Michigan, US

Jessie Shannon wrote:
Pay them so they can get a new wardrobe lol

That way, at least the NEXT photographer won't be unhappy about what they bring.  big_smile

Oct 15 12 11:02 am Link

Photographer

RKD Photographic

Iserlohn, North Rhine-Westphalia, Germany

I've started photographing models in what they turn-up in (as well as the outfits they bring specifically for shooting-in)... just for my own amusement...

https://farm9.staticflickr.com/8055/8090914552_8edd19fd32_c.jpg

Oct 15 12 11:11 am Link

Photographer

imcFOTO

Bothell, Washington, US

DOUGLASFOTOS wrote:

I am not scared to Edit. But...I usually tell them what is cool, before the shoot. I had one model who brought all Brown clothes...and one model bring All Gray...

Made for a very quick shoot. lol

Good lesson to learn there then ... suggest they bring some variety of colors ... also have some stuff of your own - even some plain single colored t-shirts/sweaters, scarves, etc. It really doesn't take a lot of money to have some basics in say Small and Medium so you can add some variety to whatever someone has brought. (I shop at ROSS and pick up tops etc. for a few dollars each!)

Oct 15 12 07:48 pm Link

Photographer

PhotoByWayne

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

do head shots only

Oct 15 12 09:03 pm Link

Model

Miroslava Svoboda

Seattle, Washington, US

There should be a counter thread to this, like what do you do when a photographer wants you to wear something that is horrible. smile

Oct 15 12 09:40 pm Link

Model

Libertad Green

Richmond, Virginia, US

I actually get a lot of compliments on my wardrobe, and I tend to bring a lot to shoots.
I have many dance costumes, too, that people like to photograph me in.
But, not everyone has a bedroom-size closet....

Oct 15 12 10:13 pm Link

Photographer

RKD Photographic

Iserlohn, North Rhine-Westphalia, Germany

Eden Macieira wrote:
There should be a counter thread to this, like what do you do when a photographer wants you to wear something that is horrible. smile

Ask for money.

Oct 16 12 01:33 am Link

Makeup Artist

SD Makeup Artisty

Hicksville, New York, US

My photographer friend and I usually provide wardrobe if it's something specific that we want for a creative shoot, unless it's something pretty basic or it doesn't matter that much.

Oct 16 12 09:28 am Link

Photographer

Kevin Greggain Photography

Saskatoon, Saskatchewan, Canada

Shooting nudes means never having to say "Your wardrobe is ugly"

Oct 16 12 09:40 am Link

Model

Alivia Autumn

Seattle, Washington, US

Haha, this is so funny, thank goodness I've never had this complaint.  But yes, most photographers I've worked with asked specifics about wardrobe.

Oct 16 12 10:18 am Link

Photographer

Berlin, Berlin, Germany

When in doubt, I ask them to bring a wide array and I pick up things myself and we mix and match. Then again I am shooting girls in an evolving state of undress.

Oct 16 12 10:28 am Link

Photographer

Paula VM

Boerne, Texas, US

I am always specific as to what I want a model to bring and I also take clothes, shoes, accessories myself just in case I don't like what the models have come with. The latter may be easier for me as I have tons of clothes in my closet and I would assume if you are a male you don't keep a lot of female clothing on hand. wink   The second hand store has come in handy for me as I find lots of interesting wardrobe pieces at a fraction of what it would  normally cost!

Oct 16 12 10:39 am Link

Photographer

Toto Photo

Belmont, California, US

Chocolate
I have a huge fireplace with a swing-out arm that holds a 25-gallon cast iron pot. I fill that halfway with organic, dark chocolate bars then swing it over the fire. When the chocolate has melted I swing the pot out of the fire and let it cool to about 80 degrees Farenheit (27 degrees Celsius). If the model doesn't bring decent wardrobe I tell her to get naked and then climb in the pot.

Black goes with everything.

Oct 16 12 11:28 am Link

Photographer

fsp

New York, New York, US

You makle it work somehow n thank the lady for showing up.

Oct 16 12 12:00 pm Link

Photographer

Fashion Beauty Photo

Lansing, Michigan, US

Make do.

Shoot nudes.

^^ This, or bring in a stylist!

Oct 16 12 12:58 pm Link

Photographer

Bureau Form Guild

Scranton, Pennsylvania, US

I am just too fussy.

Oct 17 12 10:11 pm Link

Photographer

All Yours Photography

Lawton, Oklahoma, US

Art of the nude wrote:

Providing wardrobe is a challenge if you're not working with mainstream agency types.  Models come in a vast array of sizes and shapes.

Skirts are fairly flexible on size.  Binder clips from an office supply store on the side of the model away from the camera can make an oversized garment fit nicely.

Oct 18 12 06:44 am Link

Photographer

GER Photography

Imperial, California, US

I have a closet overflowing with wardrobe that I have chosen for just such an occasion!:-))

Oct 18 12 06:52 am Link

Model

-Nicole-

Madison, Wisconsin, US

Supply your own wardrobe.

Oct 18 12 06:56 am Link

Model

Chad Sterling

College Station, Texas, US

There is a certain reality for new photographers with not a lot of choices.
Models aren't exactly pounding down the doors clamoring to work with me.

If they are willing to TF with you, then you are valued as any other photographer they would be spending time with. The best thing for this is to be clear on communication on exactly what you plan on shooting (showing pictures helps a lot on establishing a style and wardrobe help for the model). If you both establish a clear style, then the likelihood of this problem is minimized.

Oct 18 12 07:00 am Link

Photographer

richsoansphotos

London, England, United Kingdom

Not much you can do, either cancel the shoot or carry on, but it would be down to what the model has brought along. See if the model has brought along one set of clothing or a whole suitcase, if its one set of clothing i.e. what they are wearing at the time I would be wondering if they thought you would supply them with clothes (as if).

All in all, I would give time to think whether you should cancel the shoot or not. Sometimes it may be alright to go ahead and see if you can become creative at such short notice

Oct 18 12 07:01 am Link