This thread was locked on 2012-08-24 10:23:31
Forums > Off-Topic Discussion > Why Spank Your Kids?

Photographer

Gianantonio

Turin, Piemonte, Italy

In the monster thread on spanking I ask a simple question which no one answered.

So I thought I’d ask it in its own thread to allow people to focus on just the one issue.

In asking this question, I want to get rid of all the controversy around spanking and for the purposes of my question, we can assume that there are no adverse effects of spanking.  Further, even though the peer-reviewed longitudinal research done on childrearing practices shows spanking to be among the least effective, for the sake of this discussion, we can assume that spanking works as well as any other non-spanking technique you could use.

So, even given the above—to those who do or plan to spank their kids--Why would you choose to spank your kids?

Aug 22 12 02:00 pm Link

Model

-Nicole-

Madison, Wisconsin, US

Because it works. Quickly. smile

Aug 22 12 02:10 pm Link

Photographer

Mr Banner

Hayward, California, US

-Nicole- wrote:

You need to learn to reason with them.  Appeal to them, on an adult level.

Aug 22 12 02:11 pm Link

Model

Retiredmodel

Monmouth, Wales, United Kingdom

Gianantonio wrote:
In the monster thread on spanking I ask a simple question which no one answered.

So I thought I’d ask it in its own thread to allow people to focus on just the one issue.

In asking this question, I want to get rid of all the controversy around spanking and for the purposes of my question, we can assume that there are no adverse effects of spanking.  Further, even though the peer-reviewed longitudinal research done on childrearing practices shows spanking to be among the least effective, for the sake of this discussion, we can assume that spanking works as well as any other non-spanking technique you could use.

So, even given the above—to those who do or plan to spank their kids--Why would you choose to spank your kids?

Because in the tiny minority of cases where smack is effective (and not I say 'A' smack not spanking which implies a thrashing without control) and usually only a few times in the child's life and only at the age when reasoning is unlikely to be effective; it is likely to be highly effective. And in some such cases either a child's life could depend on it or the immediate respect of animals like cats or other people's property required. Adminstered this way; the child will respond immediately. Then you can begin to explain why. I do not think in such cases I have ever seen an alternative strategy work with sometime predictable results. And if your child goes near my dog and irritates the hell out of it and you fail to respond I will smack you. In the real world violence is sometimes a last resort but an entirely necessary one. Of course you are entirely within your rights to call the police because I have slapped your face and bawled you out; but then you may have to explain what you were doing on my property with your kid annoying my dog with stick beacuse you have allowed your kid to do what the hell it wants in the name of self discovery.

Aug 22 12 02:11 pm Link

Model

-Nicole-

Madison, Wisconsin, US

Damon Banner wrote:

I don't reason with kids.

I am the adult. If I ask them to do something I expect them to do it. I'm not going to bribe a kid with cookies or anything like that.

I don't plan on having kids. I am an aunt to 5 children though.

Aug 22 12 02:12 pm Link

Photographer

ontherocks

Salem, Oregon, US

because they don't respond to the mute button on the tv remote control. i don't have kids but i can't imagine how any parent stays sane. i have enough trouble with cats. lol.

Aug 22 12 02:13 pm Link

Photographer

ontherocks

Salem, Oregon, US

i've seen this at work in the stores and it never works. never. they have little kid brains, not big adult brains. you can outsmart them but you can't reason with them.

Damon Banner wrote:

Aug 22 12 02:14 pm Link

Photographer

Mr Banner

Hayward, California, US

-Nicole- wrote:
I'm not going to bribe a kid with cookies or anything like that.

You should try it, it will work.  Or a PS3

Aug 22 12 02:15 pm Link

Model

Anna Adrielle

Antwerp, Antwerp, Belgium

because it's the quickest and easiest way to get things done from your kid

(not saying I approve of spanking, just giving you your answer)

Aug 22 12 02:15 pm Link

Model

Anna Adrielle

Antwerp, Antwerp, Belgium

Eliza C wrote:

Because in the tiny minority of cases where smack is effective (and not I say 'A' smack not spanking which implies a thrashing without control) and usually only a few times in the child's life and only at the age when reasoning is unlikely to be effective; it is likely to be highly effective. And in some such cases either a child's life could depend on it or the immediate respect of animals like cats or other people's property required. Adminstered this way; the child will respond immediately. Then you can begin to explain why. I do not think in such cases I have ever seen an alternative strategy work with sometime predictable results. And if your child goes near my dog and irritates the hell out of it and you fail to respond I will smack you. In the real world violence is sometimes a last resort but an entirely necessary one. Of course you are entirely within your rights to call the police because I have slapped your face and bawled you out; but then you may have to explain what you were doing on my property with your kid annoying my dog with stick beacuse you have allowed your kid to do what the hell it wants in the name of self discovery.

out of curiosity, couldn't you just have said "because in some cases it's highly effective"?

Aug 22 12 02:17 pm Link

Photographer

FootNote Fotography

Gainesville, Florida, US

Spank because she/he is disobeying.

A: Tell them what they can cant do.
B: Explain it to them.
C: "Train" them on what they can or cant do. So they understand and remember.
D: Spank only when the child is purposely and knowingly disobeying.

Physical correction should only be used when your child knowingly says fuck it I am not listening. That being said, each family is different, each kid is different.

I actually have a 16 month old daughter. Honestly, I dont know what I will do down the road. I dont plan on spanking my kid, but we will see what happens down the road.

Aug 22 12 02:19 pm Link

Photographer

Legacys 7

San Francisco, California, US

Your simple question got overshadowed with your lecture. If you stop that then you'll get answers. No one is going to take you serious with that nonsense. That's like me telling you how how to raise your kids in your house and that you're doing it wrong.

Aug 22 12 02:20 pm Link

Model

-Nicole-

Madison, Wisconsin, US

Legacys 7 wrote:
Your simple question got overshadowed with your lecture. If you stop that then you'll get answers. No one is going to take you serious with that nonsense. That's like me telling you how how to raise your kids in your house and that you're doing it wrong.

But he's read books!

Aug 22 12 02:22 pm Link

Photographer

Legacys 7

Anna Adrielle wrote:

out of curiosity, couldn't you just have said "because in some cases it's highly effective"?

I think the point of the long reply was needed because he, the o.p. needs to absorb and feel what she's saying. No know what I'm saying? I'd suggest that we put a belt to the o.p.'s ass. That will wake him up. smile

Aug 22 12 02:22 pm Link

Photographer

Legacys 7

-Nicole- wrote:

But he's read books!

Don't tell me, "The Naughty time out room"?

Aug 22 12 02:23 pm Link

Photographer

Gianantonio

Turin, Piemonte, Italy

-Nicole- wrote:

But the other techniques work just as well.

Aug 22 12 02:25 pm Link

Photographer

Legacys 7

Gianantonio wrote:

different strokes for different folks. Dynamics are different from person to situation.

Aug 22 12 02:26 pm Link

Photographer

Gianantonio

Turin, Piemonte, Italy

-Nicole- wrote:
I don't reason with kids.

I am the adult. If I ask them to do something I expect them to do it.
I'm not going to bribe a kid with cookies or anything like that.

I don't plan on having kids. I am an aunt to 5 children though.

Okay then!  yikes

Reason ≠ bribe, BTW...

ETA:  Your comment is actually kind of funny--in a sad kind of way...  You describe using your adult status in order to act like a child...

Aug 22 12 02:27 pm Link

Photographer

Jerry Nemeth

Dearborn, Michigan, US

Gianantonio wrote:

So you say in your opinion.

Aug 22 12 02:28 pm Link

Model

-Nicole-

Madison, Wisconsin, US

Gianantonio wrote:

I'm sure they do.

I've never had to spank any of my nieces or nephews. They are all very well behaved. I know their mother has tanned their hides a couple times.

Spanking for me would be a last resort. I'd try other techniques of course but I certainly wouldn't rule out spanking all together.

Aug 22 12 02:28 pm Link

Model

Model MoRina

MacMurdo - permanent station of the US, Sector claimed by New Zealand, Antarctica

I think most people who spank their children do so for a couple possible reasons.

They are reacting to their own inability to cope with the child's behavior and have become frustrated.  They lash out at the easy target.

They are too lazy to actually teach discipline to their child and choose to ignore the issues until they erupt.

They have no understanding or training themselves in self-discipline or teaching discipline and are unable to teach their children.

They do it because it was done to them and they figure they turned out ok.

Aug 22 12 02:29 pm Link

Model

JessieLeigh

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Gianantonio wrote:

I have some children you clearly need to meet, if you believe that.

Aug 22 12 02:29 pm Link

Model

Jules NYC

New York, New York, US

Aug 22 12 02:30 pm Link

Photographer

Gianantonio

Turin, Piemonte, Italy

twoharts wrote:
because they don't respond to the mute button on the tv remote control. i don't have kids but i can't imagine how any parent stays sane. i have enough trouble with cats. lol.

I don't think anyone has made this claim...  big_smile

Aug 22 12 02:30 pm Link

Model

-Nicole-

Madison, Wisconsin, US

Gianantonio wrote:

Okay then!  yikes

Reason ≠ bribe, BTW...

Meh.

Aug 22 12 02:31 pm Link

Photographer

FootNote Fotography

Gainesville, Florida, US

MoRina wrote:
I think most people who spank their children do so for a couple possible reasons.

They are reacting to their own inability to cope with the child's behavior and have become frustrated.  They lash out at the easy target.

They are too lazy to actually teach discipline to their child and choose to ignore the issues until they erupt.

They have no understanding or training themselves in self-discipline or teaching discipline and are unable to teach their children.

Do you think those are the only reasons? Or simply that these are a lot of the reasons?

Aug 22 12 02:31 pm Link

Photographer

Gianantonio

Turin, Piemonte, Italy

twoharts wrote:
i've seen this at work in the stores and it never works. never. they have little kid brains, not big adult brains. you can outsmart them but you can't reason with them.

Of course you can reason with them.  But they do have less-developed brains.  In the midst of a melt-down, reasoning isn't going to be that effective.  But then, reasoning doesn't work too well even when an adult is in over-load mode (which is what a kid's meltdown is).

Aug 22 12 02:32 pm Link

Model

-Nicole-

Madison, Wisconsin, US

Gianantonio wrote:

Okay then!  yikes

Reason ≠ bribe, BTW...

ETA:  Your comment is actually kind of funny--in a sad kind of way...  You describe using your adult status in order to act like a child...

Acting like a child how?

Wait...nevermind...I'm not playing this game.

Aug 22 12 02:32 pm Link

Photographer

Mr Banner

Hayward, California, US

-Nicole- wrote:

Acting like a child how?

you should have known.  tongue

Aug 22 12 02:34 pm Link

Photographer

Jerry Nemeth

Dearborn, Michigan, US

MoRina wrote:

Sometimes it is the best solution.  I don't like to spank if I don't have to.

I had some wild undisciplined kids at my house Monday.  They really needed spankings!

Aug 22 12 02:35 pm Link

Photographer

Gianantonio

Turin, Piemonte, Italy

Anna Adrielle wrote:
because it's the quickest and easiest way to get things done from your kid

(not saying I approve of spanking, just giving you your answer)

What makes you say quickest?  To hit them (and please--everyone--I'm using hit, smack, swat, spank interchangeably here so let's not flip out over the specific word...) to have to catch them first.  So just picking them up or grabbing them would be quicker.  smile  And my mom smacked herself several time trying to spank me as I tried to get out of the way.  big_smile

Aug 22 12 02:36 pm Link

Model

Retiredmodel

Monmouth, Wales, United Kingdom

Anna Adrielle wrote:

I thought I'd elaborate and make it sound more fun lol Sometimes its the parents at fault not the kid was my point.

Aug 22 12 02:36 pm Link

Photographer

Jerry Nemeth

Dearborn, Michigan, US

-Nicole- wrote:

Acting like a child how?

That is why he started this thread to continue playing games!    big_smile

Aug 22 12 02:37 pm Link

Photographer

Legacys 7

Gianantonio wrote:

Of course you can reason with them.  But they do have less-developed brains.  In the midst of a melt-down, reasoning isn't going to be that effective.  But then, reasoning doesn't work too well even when an adult is in over-load mode (which is what a kid's meltdown is).

*Smiling.* Less developed brain doesn't equate to a lack of being manipulative etc. And parents in general don't act out in anger when they are spanking their children. You show me in all cases where parents in general do. I've seen it on both ends. The angry parent and the calm parent that explain why they're getting it. All is calm. The another fact, you have messed up kids from both whipped kids and non. You also have the opposite from both.

Aug 22 12 02:39 pm Link

Model

-Nicole-

Madison, Wisconsin, US

Jerry Nemeth wrote:

That is why he started this thread to continue playing games!    big_smile

I always get reeled in.

On another note..

https://austintotamu.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/07/never_spanked_as_kids_thumb.png

Aug 22 12 02:41 pm Link

Model

Model MoRina

MacMurdo - permanent station of the US, Sector claimed by New Zealand, Antarctica

FootNote Fotography wrote:

Do you think those are the only reasons? Or simply that these are a lot of the reasons?

Oh, I am sure there are more reasons, but those are the most common ones that I have observed.

Aug 22 12 02:42 pm Link

Photographer

Gianantonio

Turin, Piemonte, Italy

Eliza C wrote:

Anna Adrielle wrote:

big_smilebig_smilebig_smilebig_smilebig_smile

Actually, I think scientists are required to use as many words as possible in their answers...   wink

Aug 22 12 02:43 pm Link

Photographer

Jerry Nemeth

Dearborn, Michigan, US

Gianantonio wrote:

Eliza C wrote:

big_smilebig_smilebig_smilebig_smilebig_smile

Actually, I think scientists are required to use as many words as possible in their answers...   wink

She researches the topic very thoroughly.

Aug 22 12 02:45 pm Link

Photographer

Arizona Shoots

Phoenix, Arizona, US

Because an ass whoopin now is better than the ass reaming they get later in prison when they've failed to learn that consequences can hurt.

Aug 22 12 02:52 pm Link

Photographer

j3_photo

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Damon Banner wrote:

Did you really just say this?  Try to reason with a kid on an adult level? 

neutral

Aug 22 12 02:54 pm Link