Forums > Model Colloquy > A male and female "couple shoot" ...

Model

Stormee

San Antonio, Texas, US

Oct 04 12 08:30 pm Link

Model

Alabaster Crowley

Tucson, Arizona, US

I don't want to look like I'm in a relationship with someone that I'm not.

Oct 04 12 08:42 pm Link

Photographer

Shot By Adam

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Kelly Anne-Marie wrote:
Why are they so unpopular? If you feel they are popular, what styles and/or concept do you like? Just as a reminder: Please don't bash other posters opinions in here, Thanks. smile

Thanks for the reminder. I wasn't aware you were now a Moderator here.

That aside, what evidence do you have that couple shoots are unpopular?

Oct 04 12 10:13 pm Link

Photographer

Through Elizabeths Eyes

Yelm, Washington, US

I didn't realize they were unpopular...

Oct 04 12 10:30 pm Link

Model

CamiAnn

Los Angeles, California, US

I don't think they are unpopular.  I have one on my port and I think its romantic.  I would love to do more of them.

Oct 04 12 10:39 pm Link

Photographer

kevbailey

Hemet, California, US

I have not heard that they are unpopular, as a matter of fact, I've probably downloaded hundreds of them for ideas and concepts, many from this site. 

It may be that you've heard, or seen some people comment regarding not shooting with the opposite sex for one reason or another, but I have not noticed an issue.  I do have some female models that I shoot which will not shoot any men other than their husband or partner for shots that are implied or nude, and that is understandable, if that is their rule, I'm cool with that and honor their decision. 

As far as what I prefer, I like implied couple shots, however I do prefer to shoot them with actual couples, not models which have been put together.  I've done both, and I enjoy shooting couples where you can feel the emotions in the shot.   

That's my opinion, not worth a lot, but there it is.

Oct 04 12 10:51 pm Link

Photographer

Blaine Dixon

San Francisco, California, US

Kelly Anne-Marie wrote:
Why are they so unpopular? If you feel they are popular, what styles and/or concept do you like? Just as a reminder: Please don't bash other posters opinions in here, Thanks. smile

I don't feel they are unpopular, I have two different couples in my portfolio, one was a real couple and the other were models that had no relationship with the other...take a look and tell me which was the real couple please. I think they are popular because people in a relationship love to have it recorded by a more advanced photographer than a snapshot taken by friends. They are popular among models with ambitions to show their acting abilities.

Oct 04 12 11:09 pm Link

Model

CamiAnn

Los Angeles, California, US

Blaine Dixon wrote:

I don't feel they are unpopular, I have two different couples in my portfolio, one was a real couple and the other were models that had no relationship with the other...take a look and tell me which was the real couple please. I think they are popular because people in a relationship love to have it recorded by a more advanced photographer than a snapshot taken by friends. They are popular among models with ambitions to show their acting abilities.

+1  Mine is with an ex, of all people...he models too so it just worked...we are still friends smile

Oct 04 12 11:16 pm Link

Photographer

J-PhotoArt

San Francisco, California, US

Kelly Anne-Marie wrote:

Like a lot of others who have responded here, I too was also unaware the female and male couple shoots were unpopular.  Where are you getting your data or are you just making a statement based on your observations?

I have 3 images in my port right now from a female and male couple shoot that I shot about 2 months ago.  The two models met for the first time the day of the shoot and were instantly very comfortable working with one another.  Both models and I are very very happy with the results.  Please feel free to have a look at them and leave a comment or two if you are so inclined to do so.

Oct 04 12 11:25 pm Link

Model

zierlich

San Antonio, Texas, US

I see a lot of "couple" shots so I don't really see them as being unpopular,
I find them beautiful if the mood is right and both parties were engaged in the image.

I can see why llamas would stray away, not knowing the other llama 
if they are not a couple, and that can be nerve racking.
[i know it would take a bit of time for me to engage in the shoot with another llama]

I know for a fact my significant other would have a serious case of the giggles,not be still,not look engaged, get turned on, or be too nervous. :-|

Oct 04 12 11:27 pm Link

Model

zierlich

San Antonio, Texas, US

delete, got double posted!

Oct 04 12 11:27 pm Link

Model

Cole Morrison

Portland, Oregon, US

Ive never heard of them being unpopular. Most people are in hetero relationships, so I assume thats what most people want to see or practice.

One reason they may not be shot as much on this website would be husbands and boyfriends being "jealous" and not wanting her to shoot with another man but in general they are shot all the time for commercial ads.

As far as my own personal opinion, I have nothing against heterosexual pairings but since I'm a lesbian I am uncomfortable shooting scenes with men and prefer a girl/girl pairing.

Oct 04 12 11:56 pm Link

Photographer

DougBPhoto

Portland, Oregon, US

Kelly Anne-Marie wrote:

If you have the sense that they are unpopular based on female model's profiles saying they are not interested in doing them, I would venture a guess that it might have something to do with the possibility of the male having the wrong motivations, aka, something other than photography on his mind.

Oct 05 12 12:05 am Link

Model

Anna Adrielle

Antwerp, Antwerp, Belgium

I wouldn't mind a bit of a romantic, commercial style one.

but I'm 6'1, and there are no attractive male models of 6'4 in belgium :p

Oct 05 12 12:57 am Link

Photographer

J Wegener Photography

Savannah, Georgia, US

Kelly Anne-Marie:

Couples shoots are not unpopular so I lack understanding where you are coming from with your initial statement.

I have specialized in nude photography since the 1970s. In addition to my work with models for my artistic public work I have always done private commissions. This October I have already done two commissions with male-female couples. Both are engaged and sought intimate images of their relationship. This work is completely private. It has nothing at all to do with MM.

To address your question: I specialize in b&w photography using film with all prints made by me in a traditional darkroom. My work can be deemed romantic. I offer toning and handcoloring as well as traditional black-and-white imagery.

Decades ago I found willing couples to pose for me as models for my artistic work and thus use some of those images on my website and in my studio portfolios as examples for potential clients to view as starting places for their commissioned work. The work with my models is public and the private commissioned work is strictly private, never displayed.

I have always felt it an honor to be entrusted to preserve a couple’s loving attention in photographs. I know the created images will live on long after I have departed this place.

Oct 05 12 01:06 am Link

Photographer

RKD Photographic

Iserlohn, North Rhine-Westphalia, Germany

They're not unpopular - what they are usually is 'private' - hence you not seeing them plastered all over sites like MM...

Oct 05 12 01:42 am Link

Photographer

Black Swan

Prescott, Arizona, US

Popular?  That depends. 

Good couple shots are very hard to do especially if they represent passion and intimacy. Non-verbal communication between people is so important...

Oct 05 12 02:03 am Link

Photographer

William Kious

Delphos, Ohio, US

Unpopular? You do realize that there are photographers who have built their careers on boudoir sets for couples, don't you? You don't see them as much here on MM because they are generally private sets not intended for public consumption.

Do you start these topics just to posturbate?

Oct 05 12 02:24 am Link

Photographer

Shot By Adam

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

William Kious wrote:
Do you start these topics just to posturbate?

"Troll" is the more technical term.

Now that she knows what one is, she's getting very adept at being one:

https://www.modelmayhem.com/po.php?thread_id=842577

Oct 05 12 06:27 am Link

Photographer

Dean Johnson Photo

Minneapolis, Minnesota, US

Moderator Note!

Shot By Adam wrote:

"Troll" is the more technical term.

Now that she knows what one is, she's getting very adept at being one:

https://www.modelmayhem.com/po.php?thread_id=842577

Feeding the trolls is against the rules, so if you think someone is trolling you need to stay out of that thread.

Being that that you think she is a troll, then we should no longer see any posts from you in her threads.

Oct 05 12 06:49 am Link

Photographer

Michael Kerrek

Orlando, Florida, US

DougBPhoto wrote:
If you have the sense that they are unpopular based on female model's profiles saying they are not interested in doing them, I would venture a guess that it might have something to do with the possibility of the male having the wrong motivations, aka, something other than photography on his mind.

This.

Oct 05 12 07:06 am Link

Photographer

Christopher Carter

Indianapolis, Indiana, US

Dean Johnson Photo wrote:
Feeding the trolls is against the rules, so if you think someone is trolling you need to stay out of that thread.

Being that that you think she is a troll, then we should no longer see any posts from you in her threads.

I thought you guys handled trolls?

And are you really advocating people stop posting in the forums of your *GASP* social network?

Oct 05 12 07:31 am Link

Photographer

Blue Cube Imaging

Ashland, Oregon, US

Moderator Note!

Mnemosyne Photography wrote:

I thought you guys handled trolls?

And are you really advocating people stop posting in the forums of your *GASP* social network?

The OP looks like a completely valid question, not a troll post. There is no need to derail a legitimate (or any other) post with baiting.

Oct 05 12 07:42 am Link

Photographer

Christopher Carter

Indianapolis, Indiana, US

Post hidden on Oct 05, 2012 08:44 am
Reason: off-topic

Oct 05 12 08:04 am Link

Photographer

Skydancer Photos

Santa Cruz, California, US

Moderator Warning!
A https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-iw5TaUpM1OI/AAAAAAAAAAI/AAAAAAAAABg/oWjr6XtVW8o/s120-c/photo.jpg is someone who creates or hijacks a thread/topic to foment drama or negativity.

Don't https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-iw5TaUpM1OI/AAAAAAAAAAI/AAAAAAAAABg/oWjr6XtVW8o/s120-c/photo.jpg and you won't find yourself in the brig.

Oct 05 12 08:21 am Link

Photographer

johnreefphotography

College Park, Maryland, US

Hmmmm.

Oct 05 12 08:41 am Link

Model

Michelle Barron

Wichita, Kansas, US

I would love to expand and do this type of modeling. very romantic and exciting. I love to live on the edge and try new things..

Oct 05 12 08:51 am Link

Model

Jordan Bunniie

Salt Lake City, Utah, US

Post hidden on Oct 05, 2012 09:36 am
Reason: not helpful
Comments:
Try to stay on topic.

Oct 05 12 09:12 am Link

Photographer

PTPhotoUT

Salt Lake City, Utah, US

Most of the llamas I shoot with want to do couples shots. Surprisingly, they usually want to shoot with a "hot" guy/girl and not their significant other. When I can find the appropriate llama that meets their approval, I am happy to do the shot for them.

Oct 05 12 09:18 am Link

Photographer

Orca Bay Images

Arcata, California, US

Kelly Anne-Marie wrote:
Why are they so unpopular?

OP based on faulty premise.

Unpopular? They're not.

Oct 05 12 09:57 am Link

Photographer

Ryan South

Baton Rouge, Louisiana, US

At least here on MM I wouldn't deem them popular.  What?  1 in 100 maybe?  If referring to here on MM I think the answer lies in the fact that most of the photographers(the ones mostly responsible for picking content) are male and would rather shoot females.

Oct 05 12 10:15 am Link

Photographer

Accidental Plateau

Brooklyn, New York, US

Bee Rhiannon wrote:
I can see why models would stray away, not knowing the other model 
if they are not a couple, and that can be nerve racking.
[i know it would take a bit of time for me to engage in the shoot with another model]

I know for a fact my significant other would have a serious case of the giggles,not be still,not look engaged, get turned on, or be too nervous. :-|

That is why in professional commercial based photo-shoots (where their is a clinet, like an ad agency, who has a clinet, like an airline or hotel) there is a trend to use actors and actresses for still photo shoots.

Oct 05 12 12:30 pm Link

Photographer

fotopfw

Kerkrade, Limburg, Netherlands

I've had male and female models and even clients who wanted a couples-image, "just for fun".
I have such a shot in my portfolio, between a client and a model who was willing to do such a shot.
https://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/101214/22/4d085a72b24b5_m.jpg

Oct 05 12 12:48 pm Link

Model

Stormee

San Antonio, Texas, US

Oct 05 12 12:57 pm Link

Photographer

Yves Duchamp- Homme

Virginia Beach, Virginia, US

Kelly Anne-Marie wrote:

I see them all the time in fashion. I've done a few myself. What I will NOT do is shoot real life couples just because. Any couple being shot (for trade) will be two llamas of my choosing regardless of whether or not they know each other.

Oct 05 12 01:35 pm Link

Model

Lynn Elizabeth

Palm Beach, Florida, US

I would very much like a couple shoot but with me being only 5'2 it is hard to find a male model that doesn't tower over me. I find couple shoots to show great team work and dedication.

Oct 05 12 01:48 pm Link

Photographer

Charger Photography

San Antonio, Texas, US

Not un popular at all... This was my last shoot of 2011... These two broke out 2 months prior to the shoot.. but they stayed friends. lol
http://i1228.photobucket.com/albums/ee4 … G-1173.jpg  18+

Oct 05 12 01:57 pm Link

Photographer

Jamtron Studio

Venice, Florida, US

Just about every guy I've shot has mentioned wanting to do a couples shoot sometime. None of the girls have.

Oct 05 12 02:43 pm Link

Model

Stormee

San Antonio, Texas, US

Oct 05 12 02:55 pm Link

Photographer

rfordphotos

Antioch, California, US

Kelly,

I dont think anyone would say that couples shoots are unpopular. Many tend to be private, intimate sessions between actual couples that are not seen in public.

And you dont see as many here on MM as single model shoots.... There are probably lots of reasons for that, one is the simple complexity of organizing two compatible models. It is often hard enough to get one model to shoot, much less two that work well together.

But I have "couples" images in my portfolio--- both boy-girl and girl-girl--- with the same female model... KEY word is MODEL, she isnt in a "relationship" with either the other male or female MODEL.

Oct 05 12 03:07 pm Link