Forums > Critique > Should I add any of these? (18+)

Model

Shauni Mary Jane

Thief River Falls, Minnesota, US

Got some more images back from working with Billy Monday #7980. I was wondering if I should add any. I already have a couple, but I am actually quite fond of these as well.

Let me know what you think, I will give your port a glance and comment on my favorite image.

http://imgur.com/R9fbT 18+

http://imgur.com/plalN 18+

http://imgur.com/jDZi3 18+

Nov 04 12 06:03 am Link

Photographer

toesup

Grand Junction, Colorado, US

I prefer #1..
Love the colors and your figure in with all the natural features..

Not keen on #2 and #3..
#2 your thigh looks distorted where you are against the rock..
#3 the pose looks 'stiff' and un natural

Nov 04 12 06:26 am Link

Photographer

AWHill Photography

New York, New York, US

The first shot is the best one. The colors and the mystical nature of the water work great with your pose. It is really beautiful. I would like the third one more if your shoulders were slightly down and your hair was not covering your neck - other then that they are really well done.

Nov 04 12 06:29 am Link

Photographer

jkcphotography

Youngstown, Ohio, US

#1 is your best shot. As much as I love B&W I think your pose just misses it, perhaps your shoulders as someone else said

Keep up the good work, you look is evolving and you are going some great work.

Nov 04 12 06:31 am Link

Photographer

Red Baron Photography

Montreal, Quebec, Canada

1st one please:)

Nov 04 12 06:47 am Link

Photographer

dgold

Pawtucket, Rhode Island, US

I am liking #1 and #2...
Add both!

Nov 04 12 06:48 am Link

Photographer

TerrysPhotocountry

Rochester, New York, US

Nov 04 12 07:01 am Link

Photographer

The Aperture Studio

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Nov 04 12 07:10 am Link

Photographer

Gippingvalleyphotograph

Ipswich, England, United Kingdom

The first is best and most interesting. Love the movement and the fact that the models nudity is not "in your face", but rather arty and appealing.

No 2 does not have the same punch, No 3 (sorry) the model looks as is she is freezing.

Nov 04 12 07:18 am Link

Photographer

J Welborn

Clarksville, Tennessee, US

They are all nice but number one is the best by far smile

Nov 04 12 07:30 am Link

Photographer

PhotoDynamics

Martinsburg, West Virginia, US

I like #1 first, #2 second !!

Nov 04 12 07:37 am Link

Photographer

L2Photography net

University City, Missouri, US

Yes to 1

Nov 04 12 07:40 am Link

Photographer

Klassic Photo

Bullhead City, Arizona, US

#1  absolutely

Nov 04 12 07:44 am Link

Photographer

MKPhoto

Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada

Seems MM has spoken wink ..and one more vote for #1

Nov 04 12 08:04 am Link

Model

Bengali

Amsterdam, New York, US

seems you've already decided on #1 but it gets my vote also.

Nov 04 12 08:06 am Link

Photographer

Dan OMell

Charlotte, North Carolina, US

Nov 04 12 08:07 am Link

Photographer

David D Photography

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

I like #1 the best. Very nicely done!

Nov 04 12 08:18 am Link

Photographer

Eclectic

Toledo, Ohio, US

I freaking love number 1!!!

Nov 04 12 08:27 am Link

Photographer

Don Garrett

Escondido, California, US

OK, I'm going against the grain here, not because it is my nature, (which it is), but because #1 displays one of my pet peeves - running water that is blurred because of a slow shutter speed. I also think the colors are a bit too saturated and unnatural, and the composition is not to my liking, (I haven't exactly figured that one out yet).
  I favor #2. I like the position of the subject crossing what would otherwise be a boring, horizontal composition. I also like the light on the subject, just the right amount, in my opinion.
-Don

Nov 04 12 08:28 am Link

Artist/Painter

MainePaintah

Saco, Maine, US

I really love #1, and I really like #3.
So I would add both!

Great job, nicely done, kudos to all involved!

Wished you lived closer, I have been dying to paint an outdoor nude, either in a stream or in a pond!

Nov 04 12 08:29 am Link

Photographer

Sharfman Photography

Purcell, Oklahoma, US

#1 and #3

Nov 04 12 08:30 am Link

Photographer

M Pandolfo Photography

Tampa, Florida, US

Personally, I think #2 is over-processed and not flattering to your hips. #3 is also not a flattering pose.

And while #1 is the most sound image overall, it's more about the technique of the photographer than it is any representation of you as a model.

We see the slow shutter speed technique on the water and highly saturated colors and it would make a good image for a photographer's portfolio. But it isn't an upgrade to a model's portfolio where the images should be about you.

So, for different reasons, I wouldn't add any of them.

Nov 04 12 08:41 am Link

Photographer

TS Imagery

Laguna Beach, California, US

Number 1.  Much more vibrant.  More art than the other two.  Thanks for sharing.

Nov 04 12 08:43 am Link

Photographer

Black Dog Studios RI

Providence, Rhode Island, US

Michael Pandolfo wrote:
Personally, I think #2 is over-processed and not flattering to your hips. #3 is also not a flattering pose.

And while #1 is the most sound image overall, it's more about the technique of the photographer than it is any representation of you as a model.

We see the slow shutter speed technique on the water and highly saturated colors and it would make a good image for a photographer's portfolio. But it isn't an upgrade to a model's portfolio where the images should be about you.

So, for different reasons, I wouldn't add any of them.

+1

Nov 04 12 08:52 am Link

Photographer

FJR Photography

Pekin, Indiana, US

# 1 for sure.

Nov 04 12 08:58 am Link

Photographer

Light and Lens Studio

Sisters, Oregon, US

toesup wrote:
I prefer #1..

Not keen on #2 and #3..

+1

And, the backgrounds are distracting in #2 and #3

Nov 04 12 08:58 am Link

Photographer

Managing Light

Salem, Virginia, US

I prefer #1 as well, but I would consider cropping a bit off the top and maybe a bit of the right side too.

Nov 04 12 09:19 am Link

Photographer

fsp

New York, New York, US

1 or 2..

both are very nicely done.

Nov 04 12 11:31 am Link

Photographer

E H

Calgary, Alberta, Canada

Don Garrett wrote:
OK, I'm going against the grain here, not because it is my nature, (which it is), but because #1 displays one of my pet peeves - running water that is blurred because of a slow shutter speed. I also think the colors are a bit too saturated and unnatural, and the composition is not to my liking, (I haven't exactly figured that one out yet).
  I favor #2, it is solid. I like the position of the subject crossing what would otherwise be a boring, horizontal composition. I also like the light on the subject, just the right amount, in my opinion.
-Don

I have to agree with Don,,, and blows my mind why so many photographers voted 1.
  I have to agree the slow shutter speed could be done better but the thing at blows be away is that the photograph is for a model port. It is done to benefit her and,,, well,,, few things:(1) your face is covered, (2) pet peeve you are unsexed,(3) and my biggest pet peeve you are photographed dead.... (4) the photograph shows the landscape not you... hmm  etc. etc.   Just makes me,,,, well, just sad...
Images you need will/and should benefit you. You need to work with photographers who do benefit you and understand how and why the image benefits you... This image does not benefit you....

My 2 cents

Nov 04 12 12:25 pm Link

Photographer

Digital Hands

Milton, Ontario, Canada

I'd choose number 1.  You are sort of blending with the leaves on the rock.  The pose is lovely and sweet.

Nov 04 12 12:35 pm Link

Photographer

BanzaiStudios

Evansville, Indiana, US

Yes.  #1 is definitely the most interesting and balanced.

Thanks for sharing.

Nov 04 12 12:37 pm Link

Photographer

DanaBarrett Photography

Franklin, Tennessee, US

I agree with the masses 1

Nov 04 12 12:53 pm Link

Photographer

Mark

New York, New York, US

The first photo is OK- but wouldn;t use it as an avatar

2nd photo- dont like how your right leg looks and the exposure is off

3rd odd pose looks like you aren't relaxed- shoulders hunched

Nov 04 12 07:48 pm Link

Model

Shauni Mary Jane

Thief River Falls, Minnesota, US

Thank you all for the feedback. I really appreciate your time, and the thought you put into your replies. I chose to put the first image into my portfolio.

Some have replied that the image is not beneficial for me because it does not show me off as a model. I am an art model, so this does not concern me. I am in it for the art, and occasionally make good money posing nude. I won't be successful in any other genre due to my stats and look. Bill and I collaborated and made artwork that I am very, very happy with, not just meaningless images that "show me off" as a model. It is in no way his fault for not making me the "main subject", or "showing me of", this was a mutual agreement to create wonderful artwork.

Sometimes MM really confuses and disappoints me. Isn't a model there to help complete the image, bring it together, and make it work? I don't see why I shouldn't use an image that would be beneficial to a photographers portfolio as well? Wouldn't that show that I work and take direction well, and can mold into what the photographer has in mind?

Sorry for the rant, but I felt the need to get this out of the way and feel better for getting it out.

Nov 04 12 09:23 pm Link

Photographer

Camerosity

Saint Louis, Missouri, US

Merry Jane wrote:
Thank you all for the feedback. I really appreciate your time, and the thought you put into your replies. I chose to put the first image into my portfolio.

Some have replied that the image is not beneficial for me because it does not show me off as a model. I am an art model, so this does not concern me. I am in it for the art, and occasionally make good money posing nude. I won't be successful in any other genre due to my stats and look. Bill and I collaborated and made artwork that I am very, very happy with, not just meaningless images that "show me off" as a model. It is in no way his fault for not making me the "main subject", or "showing me of", this was a mutual agreement to create wonderful artwork.

Sometimes MM really confuses and disappoints me. Isn't a model there to help complete the image, bring it together, and make it work? I don't see why I shouldn't use an image that would be beneficial to a photographers portfolio as well? Wouldn't that show that I work and take direction well, and can mold into what the photographer has in mind?

Sorry for the rant, but I felt the need to get this out of the way and feel better for getting it out.

+1

Yes, and it can work both ways. Not all models see it that way.

I'd use the first image for sure. The second one is a distant second to the first one.

Nov 04 12 09:40 pm Link

Photographer

James Barry

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

I really like #1

Nov 04 12 09:42 pm Link

Photographer

E H

Calgary, Alberta, Canada

Merry Jane wrote:

If you both are happy with the work then I am happy for you,,, you aked if you should add these I was just giving my 2 cents,,, that's all. As for the benefical??? You are the model trying to work so you need images that show you as a model,,, to inspire more and other photographer to use you not someone else. It is like sending your model friend's port to a job you want...We don't go to Moxie's and ordering a Big Mac, kinda thing. Why can't the photographer use an image that benefits you and him in, his or her port.  Makes a win win that's all I was saying.
  If your happy with your work, that is the main thing, enjoy what you do...

Nov 05 12 04:51 pm Link

Photographer

WZ Photography

Squamish, British Columbia, Canada

toesup wrote:
I prefer #1..

Not keen on #2 and #3..

Same here.

Cheers,

WZ

Nov 05 12 04:57 pm Link

Photographer

Brett Hunt

Washington Court House, Ohio, US

toesup wrote:
I prefer #1..

Not keen on #2 and #3..

pretty much my thoughts but I like 3 too

Nov 05 12 04:59 pm Link

Photographer

Steve Thompson

Los Angeles, California, US

+1 for #1

Nov 05 12 05:03 pm Link