Forums > Off-Topic Discussion > Country music

Photographer

CSI-PHOTO

Trenton, Michigan, US

I never thought myself a country music person. But, last night I saw this country band call BLUE COUNTY (anyone ever heard of them) and they just blew me away with some great music. I guess my question is. Has anyone else been turned on to country music.

Aug 19 05 01:38 pm Link

Model

Lapis

Chicago, Illinois, US

I used to say I hated country, but then I met someone who turned me on to the Good Stuff...and now I have to say that country isn't so bad. The best stuff is pretty hard to find on the radio though...gotta go hang out with Nashville songwriters.

Aug 19 05 01:41 pm Link

Photographer

Brian Diaz

Danbury, Connecticut, US

If it's not Hank Williams or Patsy Cline, chances are it'll make me https://www.planetsmilies.com/smilies/sick/sick0020.gif.

Aug 19 05 01:48 pm Link

Model

Lapis

Chicago, Illinois, US

Brian, I am soooo glad someone gave you a reason to vomit.

Aug 19 05 01:57 pm Link

Photographer

Dreams To Keep

Novi, Michigan, US

Cross over country I like, especially Willie Nelson.  But when it gets too twangy and caterwauling (like blue grass) then I have to shut it off. 

Although I once did write a country and western song called "He stole my girl, so I shot his dawg" - its a ballad.

Aug 19 05 02:38 pm Link

Photographer

C R Photography

Pleasanton, California, US

I never thought I'd be able to like country let alone relate to it until one day I woke up and my wife had left me, my dog had died, my pick-up was broke and my teeth were missing.

Ever since then I've been a huge fan, love Coors Beer, chew tobacco and have re-married.

Just ask my cousin whose sister is my new wife wink

Aug 19 05 02:51 pm Link

Photographer

joe duerr

Santa Ana, California, US

Shania Twain is the only country anyone needs...

Aug 19 05 02:58 pm Link

Photographer

40 Digital Photography

Tarpon Springs, Florida, US

Brian Diaz wrote:
If it's not Hank Williams or Patsy Cline, chances are it'll make me https://www.planetsmilies.com/smilies/sick/sick0020.gif.

In between the alternative and rock, I like to listen to country. Not so much the new stuff, but I do like Hank Williams, Statler Brothers (New York City is a classic), John Anderson, Merle Haggard and I especially liked the "Oh Brother" soundtrack.

Robert

Aug 19 05 03:16 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Camera Ready Studios

Dallas, Texas, US

I did the new Clint Black band CD last week (the still photos for the cd)  country musicians are the nicest of all musicians and yes, I like it now and then.

Aug 19 05 03:32 pm Link

Photographer

Freelancer

Kingwood, West Virginia, US

CS-I-PHOTO wrote:
I never thought myself a country music person. But, last night I saw this country band call BLUE COUNTY (anyone ever heard of them) and they just blew me away with some great music. I guess my question is. Has anyone else been turned on to country music.

I love country music. I also love Blues, Southern Rock, & 70's classic rock.

Aug 19 05 03:34 pm Link

Photographer

Freelancer

C R Photography wrote:
I never thought I'd be able to like country let alone relate to it until one day I woke up and my wife had left me, my dog had died, my pick-up was broke and my teeth were missing.

Ever since then I've been a huge fan love Coors Beer, chew tobacco and have re-married.

Just play that song backwards & everything should be fine. lol

Aug 19 05 03:36 pm Link

Photographer

meng

San Francisco, California, US

I love country music!
Too bad San Francisco doesn't have a country radio station any more (at least last time I was home).

The new stuff is good, but give me any of the classics by [King] George Strait anyday.

Aug 19 05 03:39 pm Link

Photographer

Freelancer

joe duerr wrote:
Shania Twain is the only country anyone needs...

I try to avoid her music whenever possible. Except her first couple singles & her newest one. I think what really turned me against her was a "Behind The Music" episode about her on vh1 a few years ago. She sounded like a total idiot talking about "her" native american heritage &  how she couldn't understand why people were bashing her for claiming it (Her STEPFATHER was native american)

Aug 19 05 03:44 pm Link

Photographer

Peter Dattolo

Wolcott, Connecticut, US

One of my friends works for Country 92.5 here in CT. I go with him to promotions all the time, concerts ect. I have taken photos for the station for various events. I took photos 2 years ago of a band that was playing on the "Intrepid" during fleet week in NY. It did a preview of a song that was not released yet so we got to hear it first. The band is LoneStar (i think that is it, im not a huge country fan) and the song they played went to #1.
We go to movie viewing alot to, just saw "RedEye" (very good) last night. We went to see the Bigalow viewing and that was real funny, people practicaly falling out of thier seats sometimes from laughing so hard.
Gonna be at either foxwoods or mohegan sun tomorrow for something for the station.

Aug 19 05 03:47 pm Link

Model

Chill Factor

New York, New York, US

Growing up in the country, thats all i heard on the radio mostly,, got SOOO sick of it , between that and my dad playing ONLY country on his 8 track, I stopped listening to it ,until just a few years ago. I am a fan of Garth Brooks, Patsy Cline,The Dixie Chicks and a few more.

Aug 19 05 03:49 pm Link

Model

Chill Factor

New York, New York, US

Oh yah and my current all time newer country song is by Leanne Womack,, "I Hope You Dance"  love it!

Aug 19 05 03:51 pm Link

Photographer

Hugh Jorgen

Ashland, Oregon, US

#1 request at photoshoots...

Dont play any Country Music..

(:-------

Aug 19 05 04:01 pm Link

Model

missavogue

Houston, Texas, US

I love country music. ... I actually grew up listening to it, then I started to hate it for a while ... then i got to where now, I'll listen to any type of music, because it's not the type of music - it's the song. ... So yeah I love country. It's one of my all-time favorites.

Especially that song "4th of July" by Shooter Jennings ... I love it! smile

Aug 19 05 04:03 pm Link

Photographer

Peter Dattolo

Wolcott, Connecticut, US

Going to see "Emerson Drive" tomorrow.

http://www.country925.com/pages/entertainment.html

Aug 19 05 04:11 pm Link

Photographer

Kentsoul

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, US

I'm a huge fan of the classic stuff:  Hank Sr.,  Willie, Merle, Patsy, J. Cash, Grahm Parsons, et. al.  Being a huge southern soul fan [Otis, Al Green, Joe Tex, etc., it's never been lost on me how similar, classic southern soul and country are in both form and content.

Aug 19 05 04:16 pm Link

Photographer

40 Digital Photography

Tarpon Springs, Florida, US

Melvin Moten Jr wrote:
I'm a huge fan of the classic stuff:  Hank Sr.,  Willie, Merle, Patsy, J. Cash, Grahm Parsons, et. al.  Being a huge southern soul fan [Otis, Al Green, Joe Tex, etc., it's never been lost on me how similar, classic southern soul and country are in both form and content.

Graham Parsons ? I don't think there is anything he recorded that I don't have somewhere. His version of "Love Hurts" blows away the Nazareth version. And "Hickory Wind" may be my favorite Byrds song.

If you want to get the place hoppin' put on some Joe Tex.

Robert

Aug 19 05 04:26 pm Link

Photographer

slushy gurl

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

" .... My dawg ran away in the  pourin' rain , my pick up truck  broke down  on third and main , my beer is warm and my second wife just ran off with the bartender , an dthe bank wants to repo my farm and even my cows hate me ... twag twang  , twang ... ?

Oh gawd , oh hoiw I absolutly hate country music .

slushy gurl

Aug 20 05 03:10 am Link

Photographer

Justin N Lane

Brooklyn, New York, US

contemporary country music is just as vapid as pop... but I'll always save a bar stool next to me for Johnny Cash.

Aug 20 05 03:37 am Link

Photographer

George Diego Photo

Leander, Texas, US

Being from Austin I can't bash country music too much, in fact I love classic country that has soul to it and even some of the more modern stuff if I can hear it live, especially if it borders on rockabilly...

On the other hand, if it goes to Nashville, it just ends up getting way overproduced and sounds like garbage IMO. i haven't bought a country album since 1994 (George Strait boxed set).I was a dance TA, teaching ballroom and the Texas two step < :- 0 What can i say - it grew on me!

-geo

Aug 20 05 04:00 am Link

Model

GeorgAnne

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, US

I LOVE country music!  I've listened to it most of my life and I just can't stop listening.

Aug 20 05 09:12 am Link

Photographer

Rick Edwards

Wilmington, Delaware, US

as a teenage punk in the 70's I had a t-shirt that said "Disco sucks, but Country swallows"  Once I got into the band biz, I realized that there are some killer artists in all genres.  ah the stupid narrowmindedness of youth

Aug 20 05 07:12 pm Link

Photographer

Boho Hobo

Santa Barbara, California, US

Other than the dueling banjos sequence in Deliverance, I can't stand country music that is makes me think of moonshine stills.

Aug 20 05 07:24 pm Link

Photographer

ClassicHorror

Spartanburg, South Carolina, US

Brian Diaz wrote:

Yeah, I like the old stuff too. The new stuff is a little too slick for  my personal taste. - CH

Aug 20 05 07:36 pm Link

Photographer

Shawn Kuck

RANSON, West Virginia, US

Before I moved to Nashville, I thought I disliked country...

Now I know I hate it, haha.

Aug 20 05 09:45 pm Link

Model

angelavasquez

Murrieta, California, US

No way! Ive been to texas, canton, Texas to be specific and I just couldnt wait to get out of there cause everytime I went into a resteraunt or something I heard country all the time! that music is just so annoying....sorry....

Aug 21 05 03:36 am Link

Photographer

Zion Imaging

Fond du Lac, Wisconsin, US

C R Photography wrote:

Ever since then I've been a huge fan, love Coors Beer, chew tobacco and have re-married.

I just have to ask, how many teeth does your new wife have? smile

Aug 21 05 08:52 am Link

Photographer

Freelancer

Justin N Lane wrote:
contemporary country music is just as vapid as pop... but I'll always save a bar stool next to me for Johnny Cash.

Don't bother. He died 9/11/03

Aug 21 05 09:50 am Link

Photographer

Freelancer

geodiego wrote:
Being from Austin I can't bash country music too much, in fact I love classic country that has soul to it and even some of the more modern stuff if I can hear it live, especially if it borders on rockabilly...

On the other hand, if it goes to Nashville, it just ends up getting way overproduced and sounds like garbage IMO. i haven't bought a country album since 1994 (George Strait boxed set).I was a dance TA, teaching ballroom and the Texas two step < :- 0 What can i say - it grew on me!

-geo

Did you ever get to see Stevie Ray Vaughan play live in Austin?

Aug 21 05 09:52 am Link

Photographer

Freelancer

Some of my current favorites are Gretchen Wilson, Martina McBride, Big & Rich, Alan Jackson, George Strait, Toby Keith, Brooks & Dunn, The Dixie Chicks music is ok. But Like Larry the cable guy said. "That little fat one needs to learn to keep her big mouth shut" LOL

Aug 21 05 09:57 am Link

Photographer

Freelancer

slushy gurl wrote:
" .... My dawg ran away in the  pourin' rain , my pick up truck  broke down  on third and main , my beer is warm and my second wife just ran off with the bartender , an dthe bank wants to repo my farm and even my cows hate me ... twag twang  , twang ... ?

Oh gawd , oh hoiw I absolutly hate country music .

slushy gurl

It sounds like you've only heard the 40 year old stuff.

Aug 21 05 10:02 am Link

Photographer

ClassicHorror

Spartanburg, South Carolina, US

Yeah, and only the bad 40 yr-old-stuff. LOL!!

Check out Merle Travis' "Dark as a Dungeon" or
"Ramblin'" Jack Eliot's "Tramp on the Street"

Probably as fine a poetry as you'll ever find!! - CH

Aug 21 05 10:23 am Link

Model

Terra Morgan

Oak Lawn, Illinois, US

I'd have to say I've grown up around the city all my life and Its amazing how much I love country That what I go to sleep to at night..

Aug 21 05 03:32 pm Link

Model

Ocean Jasper

Vatican City, Holy See, Vatican City

Most people who say they hate country.
a) base this upon a stereo typical view of country. They view country as redneck music about drunks and cheaters.
b) they have very little knowledge of country.
c) they are unwilling to distinguish good country music from bad
d) they are unaware that everyone from the beatles, to the rolling stones, to Bob Dylan, to Cheryl Crow has been heavily influenced by country music
e) They cannot be consistent and wholly dislike country if they listen to rock, folk, or blues, since all these forms are heavily laced with country influence.
f) They are close minded because only a close mind would dismiss a whole genre of art without being willing to distinguish the good from the bad.

Aug 21 05 03:46 pm Link

Model

Brandy

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

I love some country music! I came from a town from about 1,200 people (sad I know) and now in Vegas I can't find a country music station to save my life. My favorites have to be Shania Twain, Faith Hill, Faith Hill's hottie husband, and Big and Rich!

Aug 21 05 03:49 pm Link

Photographer

Christopher Wright

Lansing, Michigan, US

CS-I-PHOTO wrote:

Try a band called Rascal Flatts. If you didn't love country before hearing them you sure as hell will after hearing them.

Aug 21 05 03:58 pm Link