Forums > Photography Talk > lense and camera compatibility

Photographer

Robert_Darabos

Saginaw, Michigan, US

I'm not sure if this is possible...
but do 35mm canon lenses fit on digital canon slr's?
I don't have a digi slr so i wasnt sure if that was possible or not   :-\

Aug 19 05 07:33 pm Link

Photographer

Tom Tesarik Photography

Ormond Beach, Florida, US

canon ef lenses  work with digital
but not my old canon FD lenses so it depends what canon lenses you have already

Aug 19 05 07:58 pm Link

Photographer

Robert_Darabos

Saginaw, Michigan, US

they are all  FD sad

Aug 19 05 08:04 pm Link

Photographer

Tom Tesarik Photography

I had the same problem when I got my 10d, had to get all new lenses

Aug 19 05 08:09 pm Link

Photographer

Bruce Muir

Potomac, Maryland, US

You can use  manual Focus Nikkors (AI,AIS,) on an EOS body via an adapter. You loose autofocus and have to use stop down metering but there are tons of great MF Nikkors out there for cheap compared to L glass.

Aug 19 05 08:15 pm Link

Photographer

William Herbert

Bryan, Ohio, US

Tom Tesarik Photography wrote:
I had the same problem when I got my 10d, had to get all new lenses

This is what I fear about digital. You will be forever upgrading to new lenses, computers, storage media and camera bodies. Just imagine.....

Aug 19 05 09:55 pm Link

Photographer

Tom Tesarik Photography

its not just digital, if I was upgrading to a new canon 35mm I would have had to get new lenses too

Aug 19 05 10:15 pm Link

Photographer

William Herbert

Bryan, Ohio, US

Tom Tesarik Photography wrote:
its not just digital, if I was upgrading to a new canon 35mm I would have had to get new lenses too

I can definately understand a company changing.Afterall they are in the game to make money and please the customer in the same stroke.

I sense a future of forever "updating" "upgrading" Progress is good don't get me wrong but I also like value for my dollar. Follow me?

Aug 19 05 10:24 pm Link

Photographer

Tom Tesarik Photography

I understand your point. all companys have planned obsoletion.
I remember back in the late 70s I was rebuilding a 73 ford Ranchero I went to the bone yard and got parts spanning 6 yr and they all bolted up, can't do that anymore

Aug 19 05 10:43 pm Link

Photographer

Aaron_H

Ann Arbor, Michigan, US

You can use an FD to EOS converter, but they are fraught with problems. This article explains it all http://photonotes.org/articles/eos-manual-lenses/
One thing he didn't mention was that the cheap third party adapters that do have the glass needed to allow infinity focus don't have the protrusion problem that the specialized high quality Canon made one's did, which means you can use them with all your lenses instead of the few long fast lenses with the canon. I have one of those adapters, not because I saved any of my FD lenses, but so that I could use EOS cameras on my old slide duping machine. The supposed sharpness loss due to the cheap glass element didn't seem to show up in slide dupes in a very noticeable way, but maybe in non-macro shooting it would be more of a problem?

In any event, if you're going to make the jump to digital it's going to make more sense to just bite the bullet and use the modern glass, you'll get the auto focus and both shutter and aperture priority instead of only aperture priority by manually setting the stop (and full auto if you really want for some reason), no worries about loss of sharpness.

I don't think you'll have to worry about planned obsolescence of the lenses, they'll be sticking with the EOS mount for the foreseeable future, it's the bodies that will keep changing. They made the change to the EOS mount for various technical and optical reasons, as part of the move into auto focus, including planning for future options and function with advancements, they made this major change just once, back in 1989. That means the EOS mount has now already lasted almost as long as the FD mount did. Making that change is a big part of how and why they were able to make so many technical and design advancements that catapulted them past Nikon and have allowed them to dominate the market and continue to afford the research leading to more advancements.

Aug 20 05 08:18 am Link