Forums > Model Colloquy > Using pasites for implied?

Photographer

dbrealey photography

Sarasota, Florida, US

Hey, models!  I have a shoot coming up where the model is going to be topless, but she is considering wearing pasties to make sure she stays covered.  I'm new to beauty/fashion shooting.  Is this typical?  Are there any other tricks I can suggest to future models?  And any photographers, if you've experienced this, does it really matter?  By no means do I want her to be uncomfortable, I'm just curious what others do/have done and if this could cause an issue for post edit?

Jan 08 13 11:46 am Link

Photographer

Hero Foto

Phoenix, Arizona, US

FLESH toned pasties ... PLEASE ... nothing more irritating than editing an "off" colored pastie

Jan 08 13 11:57 am Link

Model

Brightonn

New Orleans, Louisiana, US

I create pasties and have shot in silver elaborate ones with dangling beads once.  The elaborate, well-made pasties invoke classy burlesque and are really interesting, but they should be part of the focal point as you might have seen in alt. beauty shots.  I don't feel they look good as small stickers that are pre-bought. 

A model doing implied usually feels comfortable doing art nude, but for the shoot knows the photographer will be deleting any shots (or cropping out) that show nipples or vagina.  Flesh-colored well made pasties might be fine if your prepared to move the drapery up a bit or to the side post-processing or shoot arm angles until breasts are covered but the body is still relaxed and natural - this may be a challenge but its well worth it.

Jan 08 13 11:58 am Link

Photographer

L2Photography net

University City, Missouri, US

pasties are not topless

If she is uncomfortable about topless or pasties you will see it in her face find a model that will do topless for you.
L2

Jan 08 13 12:08 pm Link

Model

Isis22

Muncie, Indiana, US

I don't think this is typical. I find it odd and very telling. I agree with the photographer that said if she is uncomfortable being nude it will show.

Jan 08 13 12:21 pm Link

Photographer

ontherocks

Salem, Oregon, US

you can get stripper tassels at adult stores. have her wave those boobies around for you :-;

get something that looks nice without editing.

and of course there's always the hand/arm bra. which works out really well if they let you do that part. i think i need a date night stat.

Jan 08 13 12:25 pm Link

Photographer

PDF IMAGES PHOTOGRAPHY

Jacksonville, Florida, US

Isis22 wrote:
I don't think this is typical. I find it odd and very telling. I agree with the photographer that said if she is uncomfortable being nude it will show.

agree !

Jan 08 13 12:35 pm Link

Photographer

Brian Scanlon

Encino, California, US

How are pasties applied?  Do they come self adhesive or do you need some type of glue?

Jan 08 13 01:00 pm Link

Photographer

AJ_In_Atlanta

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Isis22 wrote:

QFT

During a implied shoot implies the photographer should have clicked next...

I have used them during a fashion shoot, but that is just to prevent any "distractions" caused by the AC; The clothes must be the focus.

Jan 08 13 01:11 pm Link

Model

Lynn Elizabeth

Palm Beach, Florida, US

The only time I ever used pasties was when I was body painted and it was at the request of the artist. If a model feels that she needs them then she should not be doing any type of topless work, implied or not. That type of uncomfortableness will be noticed in her face and body. I don't see any images coming out well.

Jan 08 13 01:29 pm Link

Photographer

myfotographer

Fresno, California, US

I have worked with experienced implied models that do this for peace of mind.

Jan 08 13 01:32 pm Link

Photographer

B R U N E S C I

Bath, England, United Kingdom

dbrealey photography wrote:
I have a shoot coming up where the llama is going to be topless, but she is considering wearing pasties to make sure she stays covered.

NEXT!

The "implied only" or "implied with pasties" llamas are absolutely the most difficult and annoying to shoot as they're always worrying about whether they're covered or not and it shows in the pictures.

Personally, I won't work with llamas with limits like this unless it's for an agency test or a client shoot where I'm being paid. Major PITA. Avoid at all costs!

Just my $0.02

Ciao
Stefano

www.stefanobrunesci.com

Jan 08 13 02:15 pm Link

Photographer

Azimuth Arts

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

More times than not I have found that llamas who aren't comfortable topless end up having it show in the photos.  I find that at least 25% of the shots taken have the llama glancing down to make sure nothing has slipped out.

I've worked with plenty of llamas who don't want to do topless shots - but they have no problem being topless on set, and could care less if the photographer, MUA, etc. see a bit of nipple.  As long as the final released images have everything covered up they are happy.

If you really need the implied shot find a llama who is comfortable working in that environment.  Otherwise, just work at the level the llama is comfortable with.  Because instead of the llama constantly worrying about whether her nipple is exposed she will now be worrying about whether the pastie is exposed.

Just my $0.02

Jan 08 13 03:06 pm Link

Photographer

ChadAlan

Los Angeles, California, US

-B-R-U-N-E-S-C-I- wrote:
NEXT!

The "implied only" or "implied with pasties" models are absolutely the most difficult and annoying to shoot as they're always worrying about whether they're covered or not and it shows in the pictures.

Personally, I won't work with models with limits like this unless it's for an agency test or a client shoot where I'm being paid. Major PITA. Avoid at all costs!

+1

Nipple covers have been a pain on a couple of the shoots I've done where the model felt the need to be covered. They often encompass a wider area than the nipple and have to be edited out, whereas a bare nipple in the same shot would not have shown. It's good when there's a certain amount of trust between the photographer and the model, that any slips will not be shown or used.

That being said, I can understand the desire for some models wanting to be covered. It's not a bad thing, just not ideal for me.

The best implied models are also those who are comfortable topless or nude, imo.

Jan 08 13 03:17 pm Link

Photographer

J Welborn

Clarksville, Tennessee, US

It's very simple get some one else --end of problem

Jan 08 13 03:23 pm Link

Model

Nikki Magnusson

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

yawn..https://a3.ec-images.myspacecdn.com/images02/43/3c652048ad4144b2b346d2bbb5870272/l.gif

Jan 08 13 03:23 pm Link

Photographer

J O H N A L L A N

Los Angeles, California, US

chadsimages wrote:
The best implied models are also those who are comfortable topless or nude, imo.

I find the same and am reluctant to use models who are excessively anal about their precious nipples. My experience is that the result are images that look forced, manipulative of the viewer and have an overall cheezy glamory feel. As opposed to an 'implied' where the obscuring of the bits results from what appears to be naturally occurring.

Jan 08 13 03:35 pm Link

Photographer

robert b mitchell

Surrey, British Columbia, Canada

Some models feel better with the pasties and others prefer not to use them. If the shoot was an agreed implied and the model has no nipple covers and I shoot her uncovered I do not use those pics as trust is important. I use the flesh tone ones as they can be edited out much cleaner.
   I need my models relaxed around me for those kind of shots so what works for them is no big deal to me for implieds.

Jan 08 13 03:36 pm Link

Photographer

JeanDphoto

Knowlton, Quebec, Canada

what about pasties over photographer's eyes ?

Jan 08 13 03:38 pm Link

Photographer

Fotographic Aspirations

Long Beach, California, US

Only worry when she says " all three nipples pierced " !

Jan 08 13 03:43 pm Link

Photographer

Sal W Hanna

Huntington Beach, California, US

IMO if a model is worried about a nipple slip even with pasties on she will still be worried. That will translate into the image and no one will benefit from bad images. My basic rule is no pasties. If you aren't confident enough in your own skin, we simply won't shoot any form of nudity. In some cases I simply won't shoot the model at all. Confidence and trust must be there regardless of what is being captured.

Jan 08 13 04:15 pm Link

Photographer

David_V

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

John Allan wrote:

I find the same and am reluctant to use models who are excessively anal about their precious nipples. My experience is that the result are images that look forced, manipulative of the viewer and have an overall cheezy glamory feel. As opposed to an 'implied' where the obscuring of the bits results from what appears to be naturally occurring.

Agreed... unless the "nervous contortionist chic" is the look you're going for.

Jan 08 13 04:40 pm Link

Photographer

Patrickth

Bellingham, Washington, US

Hey, models!  I have a shoot coming up where the model is going to be topless, but she is considering wearing pasties to make sure she stays covered.  I'm new to beauty/fashion shooting.  Is this typical?  Are there any other tricks I can suggest to future models?  And any photographers, if you've experienced this, does it really matter?  By no means do I want her to be uncomfortable, I'm just curious what others do/have done and if this could cause an issue for post edit?

Cover her up completely and let the chips fall where they may :-)

https://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/120920/13/505b7893bbcef_m.jpg

Jan 08 13 04:47 pm Link

Photographer

American Glamour

Detroit, Michigan, US

chadsimages wrote:
They often encompass a wider area than the nipple and have to be edited out, whereas a bare nipple in the same shot would not have shown.

That annoys me so much when that happens.  If I know, in advance that a model plans to wear pasties, I just move onto someone else.

I agree with everything being said.  If they aren't comfortable, there is no point in "tricks."  Move onto someone else.

Jan 08 13 04:50 pm Link

Photographer

Wolfy4u

Grand Junction, Colorado, US

the biggest problem with pasties is that they are much bigger than would be necessary. For you project, the size of a US quarter would be the best size. I always have some available should a model get shy at the last minute. Yes, most of the slips showing the pasties end up being areas where nipple would have shown, but you still have to retouch the pastie away.
Most are self sticking, btw, and they really stick. They'll be leaving red marks for a while after they are removed and it does sting a bit taking them off.

Jan 08 13 04:57 pm Link

Photographer

Good Egg Productions

Orlando, Florida, US

Nipples are much easier to conceal and/or photoshop out.

If she's not comfortable with being topless for a topless shoot, you might be better off finding someone who is.

Jan 08 13 05:07 pm Link

Photographer

afplcc

Fairfax, Virginia, US

I understand about models not wanting to pose nude.  Everyone should decide what they're comfortable posing/doing and stick to it, not let themselves be pressured into shooting something they're uncomfortable with or are afraid of seeing in public.  That said, even if you don't pose nude, you're likely going to get nude (especially with location shoots).  If a model is afraid to be nude or show skin around a photographer, that's going to be a major challenge.

Ed

Jan 08 13 05:39 pm Link

Photographer

Top Gun Digital

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

L2Photography net wrote:
If she is uncomfortable about topless or pasties you will see it in her face find a model that will do topless for you.
L2

I have to agree.  I've done a couple of shoots with models that do not do topless but said they would do implied.  In each case they seemed to be very worried about the possibility of a nipple being exposed.  For implied work you are better off using a model that normally does topless.  If your model is uncomfortable at all it will be reflected in your pics.

Jan 08 13 05:47 pm Link

Photographer

Jon Winkleman Photo

Providence, Rhode Island, US

FYI they also have "modesty pouches" for men that are frequently provided on film sets for actors who are doing rear nudity but are concerned about inadvertent full frontal flashes.

If there was a hard agreement to show cleavage but no nipples I wouldn't care as it wouldn't matter either way. However it is easier and there is less risk for problems using a model who is less concerned about nipples even if there is no intention to shoot them.

Jan 09 13 12:58 am Link

Photographer

Jon Winkleman Photo

Photographer

Jon Winkleman Photo

Model

Scarlett November

Seattle, Washington, US

I think that's really odd.

I shoot a shit ton of implied, I know the photographer is going to see my bits and I'm 100% ok with that. Implied to me IS a form of nudity, just in the end result you cannot see the two parts of my anatomy that would make the photo "nude" in many people's opinions. I dont work with people I don't trust, so I've never worried about "nipple slip" shots being posted on the net. It's important that you make sure this model is really completely comfortable with her body and being naked because she needs to feel free to move around infront of your camera while transitioning between her poses. If she's going to keep her hands firmly attached to her boobs if she doesn't have pasties on you wont ever get past the hand bra thing, which while it can have its place will get old after so many shutter clicks.

If a model isn't comfortable with the fact that someone is going to see her bits, she probably shouldn't shoot implied until she is. A little bit of something covering her nipple probably isn't going to ease her mind, and uncomfortabless, as everyone else has said - will show on her face. It used to show on mine when I first started and I had to decide to either get over it or shoot something else.

Jan 09 13 01:14 am Link

Model

Miroslava Svoboda

Seattle, Washington, US

I think I will have one of the most "stupidest" questions of all times. How is that covered? You are either covered or you're not as in you are alright with topples or you're not. I don't understand how a pastie is any sort of coverage. In my book even a see trough top isn't.

On the subject of pasties there are some adhesive ones that are very good, i see them being used when a model needs to go without a bra but doesn't want her nipples to be too obvious under the clothing she's wearing; sold in many stores that sell undergarments.

Jan 09 13 01:19 am Link

Photographer

RKD Photographic

Iserlohn, North Rhine-Westphalia, Germany

I'd only consider using pasties in a shot if they were a feature of the concept we were working on - like a 'Showgirl' shoot and part of the 'costume'...

Otherwise I think they're just bloody stupid. If a model said that to me I'd tell her to just keep her bra on.

Jan 09 13 01:22 am Link

Model

Miroslava Svoboda

Seattle, Washington, US

Pasties that make sense
https://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/120707/21/4ff90f06b00fc_m.jpg

Jan 09 13 01:30 am Link

Photographer

RKD Photographic

Iserlohn, North Rhine-Westphalia, Germany

Miroslava Svoboda wrote:
Pasties that make sense
https://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/120707/21/4ff90f06b00fc_m.jpg

That's exactly what I was talking about - thank you... big_smile

Jan 09 13 02:37 am Link

Photographer

Matt Knowles

Ferndale, California, US

I'll add to the chorus that pasties for an implied shoot are a bad idea, for all the reasons already mentioned.

I can respect a model who wants to keep her clothes on.

I can respect a model who is comfortable taking her clothes off.

I can't respect a model who is fine showing off 90% of her breast, but for some reason has a problem with that 10% in the middle. One I don't understand that arbitrary reasoning, this part of my breast is ok to show, but this part isn't. Two, a model who wants to wear pasties is also telling the photographer, I don't trust you. I don't like shooting with models who don't trust me.

Jan 09 13 11:14 am Link

Photographer

Rob Photosby

Brisbane, Queensland, Australia

Go ahead with the pastie idea.  I am sure that you will regret it, but experience is a great teacher.

Jan 09 13 08:13 pm Link

Photographer

Cherrystone

Columbus, Ohio, US

Find another model that might trust you, isn't that inhibited about you seeing her nipps, or doesn't care. Pasties suck

Jan 09 13 08:15 pm Link

Photographer

Art of the nude

Grand Rapids, Michigan, US

I tend to use something called "Trust" for "implied" shoots.  This model was topless, and I made sure that she was comfortable with what showed in the final images before anyone else saw them.

(18+ due to an abundance of caution, basically)
https://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/pic/27743432

Jan 09 13 09:03 pm Link