Forums > Model Colloquy > Using pasites for implied?

Photographer

Art of the nude

Grand Rapids, Michigan, US

Top Gun Digital wrote:
I have to agree.  I've done a couple of shoots with models that do not do topless but said they would do implied.  In each case they seemed to be very worried about the possibility of a nipple being exposed.  For implied work you are better off using a model that normally does topless.  If your model is uncomfortable at all it will be reflected in your pics.

I make it very clear for an implied shoot that they need to be comfortable with me seeing them, and they need to trust me about what will be public.  Haven't had an issue with it in years.

Jan 09 13 09:08 pm Link

Photographer

Bravo Magic Images

Temple City, California, US

I hate B big_smile big_smile IE pasties

Jan 09 13 09:12 pm Link

Photographer

dvwrght

Phoenix, Arizona, US

i've found it's a lot easier to just shoot with a model who is comfortable with nudes. then you can shoot some implied shots, and if there are some where an entire nipple is showing, that's fine, you can still use it.

nothing as frustrating as reviewing a shoot and seeing a great shot that you can't use for anything because the model doesn't want it to be made public.

Jan 09 13 09:13 pm Link

Model

J Jessica

Coconut Creek, Florida, US

I thought the title said "parasites".
Bwahaha.
big_smile

Jan 09 13 09:16 pm Link

Photographer

Art of the nude

Grand Rapids, Michigan, US

J Jessica  wrote:
I thought the title said "parasites".
Bwahaha.
big_smile

Topless, with the breasts covered with leeches, or cockroaches.  tongue

Jan 09 13 09:25 pm Link

Photographer

Jackson frontier photos

Joplin, Missouri, US

What is how to ruin a perfectly good implied shoot.  Much rather use arms, hands, tree branches, etc.

Jan 09 13 09:30 pm Link

Photographer

James Andrew Imagery

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Ditto on uncomfortable coming through the lens big time.

Topless is for experts.  smile

Jan 09 13 09:42 pm Link

Photographer

SEQUOIA NATIONAL PARK, California, US

if i'm shooting with pasties then i'm shooting the product or burlesque aspect.

if i'm shooting pasties because the model is uncomfortable showing her nipples then i'm taking the afternoon off.

Jan 09 13 10:17 pm Link

Photographer

Art Silva

Santa Barbara, California, US

The only thing "implied" about pasties is they there is an implication that there is a nipple under it, otherwise she is still (and obviously) "nude" but with round stickers covering her nipples.

At that point I would dress those babies up with some cool tassel pasties.

Jan 09 13 11:40 pm Link

Photographer

Art Silva

Santa Barbara, California, US

291 wrote:
if i'm shooting with pasties then i'm shooting the product or burlesque aspect.

if i'm shooting pasties because the model is uncomfortable showing her nipples then i'm taking the afternoon off.

Just show up to the shoot with pasties on yours to prove how ridiculous it is lol

Jan 09 13 11:43 pm Link

Photographer

Ulti

Vanderbijlpark, Gauteng, South Africa

I did a shoot with a lady bodybuilder who used these.  It all but ruined the whole shoot. Horrible stuff.

Jan 09 13 11:50 pm Link

Model

Australian Coco

Brisbane, Queensland, Australia

I don't get it. You're still topless, but having small stickers over your nipples makes you feel you can do the shoot?

Strange.

Jan 10 13 01:42 am Link

Photographer

Barely StL

Saint Louis, Missouri, US

I don't see this as normal but as a sign of the model's discomfort - unless there's some other reason for the pasties (like a burlesque theme).

Since it's implied, I suppose you can shoot with the pasties hidden, and nobody will know that they're there - but the model's discomfort will still show in her facial expressions.

Unless the intent is to show the model in a defensive posture, I prefer to shoot impliedz with the nipples, etc., hidden "naturally" by the pose - by the arms, for example, or maybe by the model's knees.

Even using her hands to cover up is a defensive position, and that becomes part of the tone and mood of the photo.

It's not uncommon in a nude or implied shoot for something that the model doesn't want to show to be exposed in a few photos. In fact it happens a few times in almost every shoot. It may even occur with open-shirt or open-jacket shoots and with corsets or very low-cut dresses.

Often I'm not aware of it until I'm editing the photos. In those cases, I just mark those images as rejects and (unless creative cropping would fix those photos) delete them.

It's helpful if the model feels that she can trust the photographer to handle these situations appropriately.

Jan 10 13 02:08 am Link

Photographer

Jeffrey M Fletcher

Asheville, North Carolina, US

Is it some sort of fetish?

Jan 10 13 09:26 am Link

Photographer

Michael Fryd

Miami Beach, Florida, US

I was hired by a woman to do her maternity images.

She wore large pasties, and ended up paying me extra to retouch them out where they were visible.

The part I found strange, was that the pasties were the only thing she was wearing.

Not that this was a problem.  She and her husband were thrilled with the images, and I got paid.  A happy ending for all.

Jan 10 13 03:13 pm Link

Photographer

Luc_Smith

Los Angeles, California, US

No. That is ridiculous.

Jan 19 13 01:05 pm Link

Photographer

Ben Hinman

Westwood, California, US

One model i had wore these transparent pasties. "they won't show, i promise", she said. they totally showed and it was a bitch to retouch.

Jan 20 13 01:23 pm Link

Photographer

Select Model Studios

Tempe, Arizona, US

I'm kinda on the fence here. If her wearing something to cover her nipples makes her feel a bit more at ease, then there is no harm with her doing it. If the pictures are suppose to be implied you won't see them in the final product anyways. But I also agree that if she really is that uncomfortable to where she can't even be topless on set, it will probably show up in the final product. Tough call!

Jan 20 13 04:20 pm Link

Photographer

Beautifully Soft Focus

Plano, Texas, US

L2Photography net wrote:
pasties are not topless

If she is uncomfortable about topless or pasties you will see it in her face find a model that will do topless for you.
L2

Amen ... just get a art nude model in the first place if you want to shoot  implieds .. they shoot just about everything anyway and when you put clothes on them they rock the look, because you are not dealing with someone who is worried if you are gonna see their stuff wink They will push it to the edge and you get much better results.

Be easy,

Alvin

Jan 20 13 04:38 pm Link

Photographer

Charger Photography

San Antonio, Texas, US

Shooting implieds with a model who isn't comfortable being topless isn't going to work... you'll see the concerned face in all the pics.
Just get a model who shoot nudes and do the implieds. smile

Jan 20 13 04:41 pm Link

Photographer

Darren Brade

London, England, United Kingdom

dbrealey photography wrote:
Hey, models!  I have a shoot coming up where the model is going to be topless, but she is considering wearing pasties to make sure she stays covered.  I'm new to beauty/fashion shooting.  Is this typical?  Are there any other tricks I can suggest to future models?  And any photographers, if you've experienced this, does it really matter?  By no means do I want her to be uncomfortable, I'm just curious what others do/have done and if this could cause an issue for post edit?

I'm afraid she's already uncomfortable hence the need for pasties, so maybe you should re-consider your shoot.

From past experience I have found implied shoots always work better with a model comfortable shooting nude, the model doesn't spend their time trying to 2nd guess what you are trying to do and don't need reassuring after every shot. Plus you're less likely to have problems displaying the pictures later in your port.

The only time I've seen pasties used is in either body painting or when shooting in a very public place.

Darren
www.facebook.com/darrenbradephotography

Jan 20 13 05:27 pm Link

Model

Greeneyed Goddess

Salt Lake City, Utah, US

If she is uncomfortable with even the slightest chance of showing her breasts why even do an implied shoot?

I agree with everyone above who said that it would be showing in the photos.

Jan 21 13 12:41 pm Link

Photographer

C h a r l e s D

Los Angeles, California, US

This is very simple.

1.  Hire an model that will pose nude.
2.  Shoot implieds.

A 'deer in the headlights' expression on any model is probably the biggest killer of an otherwise decent shot.  If she's this worried about it, she's probably not going to work out for this shoot.

Jan 21 13 02:39 pm Link

Photographer

Michael Bots

Kingston, Ontario, Canada

Brian Scanlon wrote:
How are pasties applied?  Do they come self adhesive or do you need some type of glue?

Have some eyelash glue around.

Jan 22 13 11:25 am Link

Photographer

EdwardKristopher

Tempe, Arizona, US

Lynn Elizabeth wrote:
The only time I ever used pasties was when I was body painted and it was at the request of the artist. If a model feels that she needs them then she should not be doing any type of topless work, implied or not. That type of uncomfortableness will be noticed in her face and body. I don't see any images coming out well.

+1

Jan 22 13 11:29 am Link