Forums > Model Colloquy > Does photographer need to provide meal for model?

Model

angel emily

Boston, Massachusetts, US

No.

Jan 31 13 10:15 am Link

Photographer

Daniel Sulla

Chicago, Illinois, US

Your studio then you're host. On location not a bad idea to have some drinks and snacks. Why not? Just my opinion, but especially if I initiate then its on me. Not that expensive and a little kindness goes a long way.

Jan 31 13 10:19 am Link

Photographer

Jean Renard Photography

Los Angeles, California, US

commercial day shoots are always catered.

Half day provide drinks,

In rental studios most have espresso bars with juices etc.

When doing "tests" for a llama, the smart ones will bring coffee or snacks for crew, when the favor goes the other way we do.

Jan 31 13 10:25 am Link

Photographer

Studio MD - Casting

Star wrote:
I unfortunately just don't have the money to feed me, my assistant, 2 models, 3 make-up and hair people and a wardrobe stylist.

Then why do you have that argument on your page that says "This work presented here, can not exist without monetary compensation. I can't exist as a photographer doing this level of work and this volume of work without compensation."?! That makes no sense- either you don't understand how to make your business work or you're cheap. I can't see any other explanation for someone to have 7+ years of work, and great work at that, and still be too broke to pay $20 on pizza to feed a crew.

I would have sent you a PM to offer you some advice (I'm looking at your book and see an EASY way for you to earn cash while you sleep with your work - that Dita shot should be making you a ton off licensing).... But you blocked me. I guess you have all the answers already.

Jan 31 13 10:38 am Link

Photographer

Christopher Hartman

Buena Park, California, US

money_train wrote:
during the short/long short,

Does photographer need to provide meal for model?

If you're going to take a break long enough to eat and you're in the middle of nowhere to make it practical for them to get food...yeah, you should probably provide it.

Jan 31 13 10:43 am Link

Photographer

MMR Creative Services

Doylestown, Pennsylvania, US

Depends on everyone's circumstances. We always have bottled water and light snacks available. It's my experience that a model has no use for eats before a shoot. If she does during- has already brought her own (what she likes). We shot beyond 4 hours once with a model and we all (me, my wife-model's assistant, model) got lunch at a local restaurant and it was a joy to have her company. We were all tired and hungry. For the purpose of this thread- I payed. It's my town, you're my invited guest.

If we're out in the wild. You better grab the camera and take pics of me dragging in fish from the stream or battling bear for fur and dinner or be tossing me ammo or a band-aid or something. Don't be on the dead cell phone calling your mom!

Jan 31 13 11:08 am Link

Photographer

L o n d o n F o g

London, England, United Kingdom

All day shoots in the studio are catered for, pasta, rolls, fresh salads, sandwiches, fresh fruit, juices, teas, coffee, cookies and our favourites, choccie muffins! The muffins are especially sought after!

½ day in the studio, juices, hot drinks and yesss...the chocco muffins!

Location shoots, pastries, coffee etc before we start out as these tend to be just after lunch!

A happy model and MUA makes for great pics!

Jan 31 13 11:17 am Link

Photographer

Daeda1us

Little Rock, Arkansas, US

-B-R-U-N-E-S-C-I- wrote:
Define "short" and "long" big_smile

Generally if a shoot is more than 3-4 hours I will offer models a snack or some fruit.

You'll find many will refuse it anyway if they're worried about bloating but it never hurts to offer.

Just my $0.02

Ciao
Stefano

www.stefanobrunesci.com

This.

During a recent shoot in a remote location, I brought trail mix, granola bars and water.  Models were told to grab what they wanted when they wanted.  One model didnt touch a thing.  Another was snagging treats fairly constantly.

I was also going to offer them dinner after the shoot, but the model who rode with me had other plans.

Daeda1us

Jan 31 13 11:34 am Link

Photographer

Daeda1us

Little Rock, Arkansas, US

London Fog wrote:
All day shoots in the studio are catered for, pasta, rolls, fresh salads, sandwiches, fresh fruit, juices, teas, coffee, cookies and our favourites, choccie muffins! The muffins are especially sought after!

Location shoots, pastries, coffee etc before we start out as these tend to be just after lunch!

No choccie muffins on location???
You are living dangerously!!!
big_smile

Jan 31 13 11:35 am Link

Photographer

TerrysPhotocountry

Rochester, New York, US

A model can bring pizza & coffee. This Sunday and next Sunday I will be feeding about 7 people with a veggie platter and subs cut to Sandwich size along with water & soft drinks diet and verity of regular sodas. I better feed them. This will be a 8 hour session with all these people. or things will get real ugly around meal time!  smile`

Jan 31 13 11:40 am Link

Photographer

Kyle T Edwards

St Catharines, Ontario, Canada

DOUGLASFOTOS wrote:
llamas.....Hell I will even accept a Happy Meal!!! lol

I've done that with a llama before.  I was at a workshop shoot (not as organizer) and I offered to give the llama a ride home, since I was going that way anyway.  In some secret, "let's go meet my dealer" tone, she asked if we could stop off at McDonald's for some food.  So, I took her to McDonald's for dinner!  Sure, she had that ten year old "I'm doing something I shouldn't be" look on her face, but boy, she was enjoying every bite of it!

I tell ya, the look on her face alone was more than worth it.  If McDonald's had seen how much she loved that burger, I swear they'd hire her for their next campaign.

Jan 31 13 11:41 am Link

Photographer

Francisco Castro

Cincinnati, Ohio, US

money_train wrote:

Making sure that the model is comfortable (no hunger pangs) just helps make the shoot go a lot smoother.

I treat models just like I do any guest to my home, studio, or office. Just because they're there in a working capacity does not negate my responsibilities as a polite host.

I also expect models to act just like any guest I might have.

Jan 31 13 11:53 am Link

Model

Goodbye4

It's not their obligation to no. But I find that most photographers and clients tend to provide at least a snack and drinks (if not more) if it's a long day. Always bring water and snacks with you in case there's nothing though.

Jan 31 13 04:46 pm Link

Photographer

Joshua Remigius

Bangalore, Karnataka, India

To me any studio where I organize the shoot is the home for the day and all catering is taken care off. It may not be something extravagant, but there are always options for food and drink available at the appropriate times. Usually I just order in after getting the respective choices from the crew.

Of course sodas and water will be stocked adequately in the fridge at all times.

Jan 31 13 08:56 pm Link

Model

Sullen Garbo Siren

Atlanta, Georgia, US

MMR Digital wrote:
If we're out in the wild. You better grab the camera and take pics of me dragging in fish from the stream or battling bear for fur and dinner or be tossing me ammo or a band-aid or something. Don't be on the dead cell phone calling your mom!

Not sure if sarcasm, but I only let two people touch my camera: My boyfriend and my dad, both of whom are skilled photographers and know how to respect equipment. I wouldn't dare touch a photographer's camera if it's not on him/her.

I'd assist with the bandaids, though.

Jan 31 13 09:20 pm Link

Model

Erzsebet

BARNSTABLE, Massachusetts, US

I don't EXPECT it at all, but it's nice when at least water is provided... I usually bring a few provisions of my own though, since assuming things is never a good idea.

Jan 31 13 09:42 pm Link

Model

Raven-Lily

Eastbourne, England, United Kingdom

Usually when booking a photographer will ask if i have dietary requirements, normally as im shooting 4 hours and travelling a long way.

I normally have to take so much stuff to a shoot i simply cant carry food or bottles of drink or i might just collapse under the weight of it all.

so being greeted with a lunch of sandwiches, a cup of tea and a chocolate bar always goes down well, and that gives me enough energy to carry on shooting.

Feb 01 13 09:22 am Link

Photographer

ImageCRAFTbyAleks

Albany, New York, US

Dang, boy did I just learn something... I thought it was my talent that was drawing them in. I need to put the brakes on that free-pour, top-shelf bar trolley and see if anyone ever shows up for a shoot again. (But the wedges of lemon, oranges are still okay along with the marachino cherries to nibble on, right?)

But I still can sip on a sidecar? Manhattan? Limoncello martini? ...COME ON! It's what separates us from cubicle people!

Feb 01 13 11:25 am Link

Model

Greeneyed Goddess

Salt Lake City, Utah, US

I usually bring my own high protein snacks, water and/or coffee but extra water provided by the photog is always appreciated if I get extra thirsty.

This may be off topic, but one thing I dont understand is how models can easily eat pizzas/cookies/muffins mentioned here during or after the shoots? Are they plus size models? If I would be eating all that several times a week I would not be hirable. hmm Maybe my metabolism sucks.

Feb 04 13 10:33 am Link

Model

Leone P

Batley, England, United Kingdom

London Fog wrote:

Oh dear lord! You would be my favourite person for atleast a week haha!

Feb 04 13 11:02 am Link

Model

Leone P

Batley, England, United Kingdom

Greeneyed Goddess wrote:
I usually bring my own high protein snacks, water and/or coffee but extra water provided by the photog is always appreciated if I get extra thirsty.

This may be off topic, but one thing I dont understand is how models can easily eat pizzas/cookies/muffins mentioned here during or after the shoots? Are they plus size models? If I would be eating all that several times a week I would not be hirable. hmm Maybe my metabolism sucks.

If they're anything like me, it's because we can't kick the habit haha. I have a deep love for all things junk food. I can't help it. Have i tried cutting it all out? Sure! Did i end up stuffing my face after 24 hours..better believe it!

I'm a food lover! Man Vs Food Adam Richman would be my best friend if i lived in the US haha.

I'm a slob. sad

Food makes me happy. big_smile

Feb 04 13 11:06 am Link

Model

Greeneyed Goddess

Salt Lake City, Utah, US

Leone P wrote:

If they're anything like me, it's because we can't kick the habit haha. I have a deep love for all things junk food. I can't help it. Have i tried cutting it all out? Sure! Did i end up stuffing my face after 24 hours..better believe it!

I'm a food lover! Man Vs Food Adam Richman would be my best friend if i lived in the US haha.

I'm a slob. sad

Food makes me happy. big_smile

Hmmm I am a food lover too. Huge one. If it was up to me, I would be living on pizza and cookies, but thanks God I chose a different profession for this moment, and I need to have flat stomach, kick ass body, glowing skin and high energy to make my living these days. smile

Feb 04 13 03:07 pm Link

Artist/Painter

MainePaintah

Saco, Maine, US

A few years ago, in a different studio, I had a beautiful La Pavoni espresso machine, and it seems that after a long morning of work, the models loved to stay and have cappuccinos!

Different studio now, no espresso machine, but if we work a long morning, I always offer lunch (usually fruit salad and yoghurt), but lately, only one model stayed for lunch once!

Feb 04 13 03:20 pm Link

Photographer

Delvin D Wilborn

Oakland, California, US

No, But it shows what kind of person you are if you do https://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/130204/23/5110b45422b09_m.jpg

Feb 05 13 12:21 am Link

Model

Stormee

San Antonio, Texas, US

Feb 05 13 12:37 am Link

Photographer

Drew Smith Photography

Nottingham, England, United Kingdom

money_train wrote:

YES!

Always feed your models. Over time they will become 'tame' and you can shoot with them again.

Feb 05 13 06:17 am Link

Photographer

Jim McSmith

Edinburgh, Scotland, United Kingdom

You can get a big bag of meal at the pet shop really cheap.

Feb 05 13 07:28 am Link