Forums > Critique > I pick your best (if I can find it)

Photographer

MiGel

Hamburg, Hamburg, Germany

L Raye wrote:
ANything ?

(Mostly 18+)

I'm european, I'm not that easily offended by (well shot and lit) nudes. wink

You're obviously shooting with feeling and emphaty. Kudos for that, it's not that easy to find nowadays and something a lot of photographers who shoot people, even in clothes, still have to learn.
I would be happy if you'd put as much effort and heart into creating and controlling light as well. wink Not all that's not naturally there is evil.

Surprisingly enough, I chose a non-18+ as your best - not at last because of the lighting:

https://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/120405/14/4f7e093589a92_m.jpg

Feb 09 13 04:40 pm Link

Photographer

MiGel

MisterChristian wrote:

Thank you, That runs pretty much true to what I've been feeling, but it's good to hear it from an outside perspective.  Now let's see if I can follow through and take care of those details.

Cool, I seem to be quiet right at these things the most times in the last 2 days. Comforting to hear I seem to have the right feelings (&eyes).

Feb 09 13 04:45 pm Link

Photographer

Paul Tirado Photography

New York, New York, US

Take a look and let me know.

Feb 09 13 05:08 pm Link

Photographer

MiGel

Paul Tirado Photography wrote:
Take a look and let me know.

You've got a lot of great pictures on your port, but your avatar nails it in every aspect:
https://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/120722/19/500cb9ed1aa2e.jpg

But I want to pick another:
18+ https://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/pic/14032796

This one I like 'cause it's well made (apart from a bit blurred) but different from the most in your port and I like the theme and story that may be behind it.

You have a great, professional port and I would not dare to give you an advice (and you hardly need one from me), BUT I found this:
https://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/pic/8682378
I would seriously ditch this. Yes, it's fun with the perspective and a nice dress, but the lighting is quiet horrible and the whole image (post, lighting, angle) is so much below your other work!

Feb 09 13 05:33 pm Link

Photographer

Sven Lori

Brussels, Brussels, Belgium

Do u still have stamina :-) I will also have a look at your portfolio

Feb 11 13 03:12 pm Link

Photographer

Barely StL

Saint Louis, Missouri, US

What do you think?

Feb 11 13 08:00 pm Link

Photographer

MiGel

Flash-Joerg wrote:
Do u still have stamina :-) I will also have a look at your portfolio

I do.

I like this best, though it is a bit too much underexposed IMHO:

https://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/121012/10/507851930aec4_m.jpg

I don't really know what to make of your overall port. It's a very mixed bag, in terms of lighting, theme, style, post...
I wouldn't be attracted as a client nor as a llama as I wouldn't know what I'd get from you. You experient with a lot of things but I don't see any own style or direction yet.
Find out what you want to do and then strip your port and emphasize on that.

Feb 12 13 08:47 am Link

Photographer

MiGel

Barely StL wrote:
What do you think?

I like these two best:

https://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/121112/23/50a1f81601884_m.jpg

18+ https://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/pic/31148434

Get more variety. I almost thought it's the same model in all of them, alomst the same themes all over. The exceptions are the composings which I didn't like much (they are overprocessed IMHO).
Also your light looks not always entirely under control, work on the spill and definition.

Feb 12 13 08:55 am Link

Model

_eMMe_

Florence, Toscana, Italy

Il would be glad to receive any critique from you. I'll love to collaborate with you, if never possible.

Feb 12 13 08:56 am Link

Photographer

sospix

Orlando, Florida, US

Do I have any "best"  .  .  .  wink

SOS

Feb 12 13 09:14 am Link

Photographer

Drew Smith Photography

Nottingham, England, United Kingdom

Lay it on me. smile

Feb 12 13 09:15 am Link

Photographer

mtlmike

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Am I too late to the game?  I would love to hear back from you :-)

Also, I see this comment you left someone:

"I don't really know what to make of your overall port. It's a very mixed bag, in terms of lighting, theme, style, post...
I wouldn't be attracted as a client nor as a model as I wouldn't know what I'd get from you. You experient with a lot of things but I don't see any own style or direction yet.
Find out what you want to do and then strip your port and emphasize on that."

As a newbie, I am curious to such comments (which I see and hear from others as well). Why wouldn't variety and many styles be good?  Isn't that what people should go for anyway, if they wanted?  Assuming, of course, that they are doing it well or progressing positively in results.  I myself like shooting all sorts, and have many interests in life.  Would like you to further develop your points on this, make it a convincing argument!  :-)

Feb 12 13 10:34 am Link

Model

E e v a

Nashville, Tennessee, US

You definitely know what you're doing.

Critique away.

Feb 12 13 10:35 am Link

Photographer

Maria Panina

New York, New York, US

I'm interested

Feb 12 13 11:18 am Link

Photographer

Stuart C Photography

Manchester, England, United Kingdom

I respect your port so please give some feedback to a newbie smile

Feb 12 13 11:24 am Link

Photographer

David L Schneider

Lansing, Michigan, US

Love your port! Outstanding. Please review mine, be brutal

Feb 12 13 11:26 am Link

Photographer

RickDeckardPhotog

Portland, Oregon, US

Fire away

Feb 12 13 11:36 am Link

Photographer

Archie Campbell

London, England, United Kingdom

Really envious of your stuff.

Mine is not very impressive in comparison but hopefully the fact that I am just starting out works in my favour!

Feb 12 13 11:49 am Link

Model

C A K E M I X

Louth, England, United Kingdom

smile

Feb 12 13 12:30 pm Link

Photographer

MiGel

_eMMe_ wrote:
I'll love to collaborate with you, if never possible.

I'm working on a book project with nude art a.t.m.
So if you'd came here it would be possible.

_eMMe_ wrote:
Il would be glad to receive any critique from you.

This one I may like best:

https://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/120327/12/4f72159cdf648_m.jpg

Overall I'd say you could use some more beauty-like shots and some pics that more emphasizes your (body) shape through light and posing.
I see you like the "natural" kind of look but keep on getting better on your poses however. That would give you much more variety.

Feb 12 13 03:14 pm Link

Photographer

MiGel

sospix wrote:
Do I have any "best"  .  .  .  wink

SOS

You have some good/great pictures and some not so great ones.
I would sort some out (your avatar being the very, very first). On some you show some very ugly post work, but some of them could be saved if you'd work them over.

This is one of the good ones:
https://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/090401/09/49d3919c6ba96_m.jpg

Feb 12 13 03:19 pm Link

Photographer

RachelReilly

Washington, District of Columbia, US

again? lol

Feb 12 13 03:21 pm Link

Photographer

ArtisticallySexy

Atlanta, Georgia, US

I would like to play...

Feb 12 13 03:22 pm Link

Model

Rosemarie Bennet

Southampton, Pennsylvania, US

Bitte?

Feb 12 13 03:25 pm Link

Photographer

MiGel

Drew Smith Photography wrote:
Lay it on me. smile

As you wish.
Sort some pictures out that are similar.
I really like most of your nude & implied work. They got some strength, power and are a tad bit provocative at times without ever being in any way offensive. They're more erotic than classic, which I like.
Especially true about this series:

https://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/120520/05/4fb8e92b33ec5_m.jpg

I'm not that fond of your portraits, not only because you tend to go too heavy on the post of them.

Feb 12 13 03:26 pm Link

Photographer

sospix

Orlando, Florida, US

MiGel wrote:

You have some good/great pictures and some not so great ones.
I would sort some out (your avatar being the very, very first). On some you show some very ugly post work, but some of them could be saved if you'd work them over.

This is one of the good ones:
https://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/090401/09/49d3919c6ba96_m.jpg

Jake's gonna be upset if I dump 'im  .  .  .  wink  All the pix I have up are quick edits (save one nude which I finished up for an art book), I seldom do any final post as most pubs would rather do their own at this point for consistency's sake, I just play with them and see what directions may work as suggestions  .  .  .  don't really have the time anymore for final post  .  .  .  thanks for the look, and the thoughts, much continued success!!!!

SOS

Feb 12 13 03:33 pm Link

Photographer

MiGel

mtlmike wrote:
Also, I see this comment you left someone:

"I don't really know what to make of your overall port. It's a very mixed bag, in terms of lighting, theme, style, post...
I wouldn't be attracted as a client nor as a model as I wouldn't know what I'd get from you. You experient with a lot of things but I don't see any own style or direction yet.
Find out what you want to do and then strip your port and emphasize on that."

As a newbie, I am curious to such comments (which I see and hear from others as well). Why wouldn't variety and many styles be good?  Isn't that what people should go for anyway, if they wanted?  Assuming, of course, that they are doing it well or progressing positively in results.  I myself like shooting all sorts, and have many interests in life.  Would like you to further develop your points on this, make it a convincing argument!  :-)

That's a complex question to answer. This is not fitting here, you should make another thread for this. I'm sure there will be plenty of answers you'll get from others as well.

Feb 12 13 03:34 pm Link

Photographer

MiGel

mtlmike wrote:
Am I too late to the game?  I would love to hear back from you :-)

I like this best:

https://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/121202/07/50bb76d3ad5d8_m.jpg

I won't talk much about your port as you may not understand my critique (based on the rest of your comment), which is not meant offensive.
You're a beginner and you're learning and experimenting. You'll get to understand my view and critiques better when you advance but that's a road you still have to go (and I can't go for you). This may sound frustrating to you but be patient, time will tell!

Feb 12 13 03:39 pm Link

Photographer

MiGel

Samantha Emme wrote:
You definitely know what you're doing.

Critique away.

Thanks.

This I quiet like:

https://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/111005/20/4e8d211fc2462_m.jpg

Overall I can't say much about your port. I can see you're in the process of developing and improving yourself and I think you're on a good way there.
I personally think you could use a bit more of that dark colors, bus as I said you're going alright.
I don't like your avatar much though (especailly not as avatar).

Feb 12 13 03:47 pm Link

Photographer

MiGel

Maria Panina wrote:
I'm interested

Uuuhh... in the first row I see some pretty bad make up and/or post work.
NOT a good first impression.
I miss the "eye-catcher(s)" in your port. Apart from the mentioned it's solid and ok but not really exciting.
This is definately not perfect but the one that caught my eye in your port to some degree:

https://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/111116/13/4ec428615ea8d_m.jpg

Feb 12 13 03:52 pm Link

Photographer

MiGel

Stuart C Photography wrote:
I respect your port so please give some feedback to a newbie smile

I don't really get your port.
Whom do you hope to attract?
I see some pretty bad studio and outdoor snapshots, two almost black next-to-nothings (picture- and themewise) and 2 dull outdoor skull-nude pics.
I hope this does not encourage you, but this is what I honestly see as an advanced/professional. I don't see what you're going for.

Feb 12 13 03:57 pm Link

Photographer

tenrocK photo

New York, New York, US

Do it!

Feb 12 13 04:02 pm Link

Photographer

MiGel

David  L Schneider wrote:
Love your port! Outstanding. Please review mine, be brutal

Better don't encourage me even more, I already am bloody brutal most of the time...

Your Logo is really not pretty. It takes away from each image (quality-wise). I see some different flaws in different pictures but that's not the place for so much detail here.
Overall you're port is simply not exciting. Sometimes it's the lighting, sometimes the theme, sometimes your choice of models (and their posing).

This looks like the attempt to break the pattern, but you need to do more in that direction and improve it:

https://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/120507/16/4fa8552353e14_m.jpg

Feb 12 13 04:02 pm Link

Photographer

tenrocK photo

New York, New York, US

Do it smile

Feb 12 13 04:03 pm Link

Photographer

MiGel

sammyspade wrote:
Fire away

Another martial statement. Am I not slaughtering enough already?

Seems like you're just starting out. I can see potential there but get more and better models. Are you photographing your girlfriend all the time or who is this red-haired girl?

Feb 12 13 04:09 pm Link

Model

Tiffiney C

Los Angeles, California, US

I will play

Tiff
www.TiffineyC.com

Feb 12 13 04:10 pm Link

Photographer

name removed3

Boston, Massachusetts, US

sure why not

Feb 12 13 04:11 pm Link

Photographer

juliarabkin

Rochester, New York, US

ok smile

Feb 12 13 04:12 pm Link

Photographer

MiGel

Archie Campbell wrote:
Really envious of your stuff.

Mine is not very impressive in comparison but hopefully the fact that I am just starting out works in my favour!

I usually want to critique everyone on the same level (which is pretty high), as this is fair and comparable. But I TRY to get a little easier on the beginners if I see progress/potential/a development going on.

I do see ongoing development in your works and you look quiet promising. You're experimenting in looks that are somewhat popular nowadays in fashion (editorial) and advertising.
Work farther on that, polish on it and find out what you like.

Feb 12 13 04:15 pm Link

Photographer

MiGel

A L L A N A H III wrote:
smile

Hm, I'd like to see more of your work. So your port made me interested which is good. wink
I feel I can't really critique it, as most of your pictures seem artsy (not meant in a bad way) in their very own way.

Feb 12 13 04:20 pm Link