Forums > Off-Topic Discussion > Jets released Tim Tebow

Photographer

OwenImages

Pinellas Park, Florida, US

So glad I started this thread.  LOL
It gave you guys something to do or focus on today!

Apr 29 13 03:48 pm Link

Photographer

Boho Hobo

Santa Barbara, California, US

so was it :

1)God didn't want tim to play for the Jets

or

2) Tim wasn't praying hard enough to keep his job?

Apr 29 13 04:43 pm Link

Photographer

Orca Bay Images

Arcata, California, US

The Montreal Allouettes own Tebow's CFL rights and they've said they might consider signing him, but only to compete for a backup job.

Apr 29 13 04:58 pm Link

Photographer

Robb Mann

Baltimore, Maryland, US

Patchouli Nyx wrote:
so was it :

or

3) People of New York prayed for Tebow to go away.

Apr 29 13 06:19 pm Link

Photographer

Let There Be Light

Los Angeles, California, US

Will Snizek wrote:
If he states that he's willing to change positions, I think quite a few teams would want him for his athletic ability.  If he insists on being a QB, I don't see anyone signing him.

He isn't willing to play another position. The Jets allowed Tebow to seek a trade in the offseason and a couple of teams were interested if he would change positions but he said no.  There's no future for him as a QB in the NFL.

Apr 29 13 06:44 pm Link

Photographer

Let There Be Light

OwenImages wrote:
Anyone recall what type of money the Jets and Broncos were paying him?

His first contract with Denver was 5 years, $33 million but much of it was incentive based.  Denver ended up paying the Jets $2.5 million to get rid of him.   His base salary last year was $1.1 million and this year was to be $1.055 million and now the Jets get to take a $2.585 million cap hit.

Apr 29 13 06:52 pm Link

Photographer

Cool Hand Mike

Jacksonville, Florida, US

OwenImages wrote:
Jets released Tim Tebow.  Do you think he will find another team or is he done in the NFL?

He'll find another team, not sure when or where.

I'd like it to be San Francisco, they've just been stockpiling all sorts of offensive weapons.

Apr 29 13 07:11 pm Link

Photographer

Mr Banner

Hayward, California, US

Cool Hand Mike wrote:
I'd like it to be San Francisco, they've just been stockpiling all sorts of offensive weapons.

They don't need him and we don't want him

Apr 29 13 08:05 pm Link

Photographer

Kincaid Blackwood

Cool Hand Mike wrote:

And Tebow would be the way for them to fire every single one of those weapons at their collective foot.

Apr 29 13 08:29 pm Link

Photographer

DougBPhoto

Portland, Oregon, US

Cool Hand Mike wrote:

Even I don't DISLIKE San Francisco THAT much to wish Tebow on them.

Apr 29 13 08:32 pm Link

Photographer

Let There Be Light

ontherocks wrote:
i followed the 49ers pretty closely back in the Montana days (the whole 49ers thing went downhill when they put debartolo in jail). but haven't followed the sport that closely since.

DeBartolo never went to jail.

Apr 29 13 09:25 pm Link

Photographer

Let There Be Light

Cool Hand Mike wrote:

You must really hate the 49ers to wish Tebow on them.

Apr 29 13 09:26 pm Link

Photographer

Mr Banner

Hayward, California, US

He can go to Oakland

Apr 29 13 09:35 pm Link

Photographer

Orca Bay Images

Arcata, California, US

Damon Banner wrote:
He can go to Oakland

No.

No no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no.

GM Reggie McKenzie may have inherited a smoking mess, but he's moving the franchise smartly -- albeit painfully -- in the right direction. Tebow is not the right direction.

Apr 29 13 11:30 pm Link

Model

Galas

Atlanta, Georgia, US

http://jacksonville.com/opinion/blog/54 … cksonville

I think we'll pass... Not well until Gabbert or Henne are protected, but we'll pass.

Apr 29 13 11:35 pm Link

Photographer

GK photo

Laguna Beach, California, US

Orca Bay Images wrote:

No.

GM Reggie McKenzie may have inherited a smoking mess, but he's moving the franchise smartly -- albeit painfully -- in the right direction. Tebow is not the right direction.

if oakland is at the bottom of the waiver wire, and they can get him for nothing (all incentive based salary), don't be shocked. if you don't think they know the marketing value of having st. timmy in the black hole, then you're crazy. smile

Apr 30 13 12:20 am Link

Photographer

Mr Banner

Hayward, California, US

Orca Bay Images wrote:

No.

No no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no.

perfect direction.

Apr 30 13 12:25 am Link

Photographer

GK photo

Damon Banner wrote:
perfect direction.

lol yep!

Apr 30 13 12:28 am Link

Photographer

Orca Bay Images

Arcata, California, US

GK photo wrote:
lol yep!

Next off-season, the Raiders are slated to be somewhere between $60-70 million under the salary cap. Considering the smoking heap and salary-cap hell McKenzie inherited, I'd say that's one hell of a good direction.

Apr 30 13 05:03 am Link

Photographer

Randy Poe

Green Cove Springs, Florida, US

I still say Cardinals

After the snikers settled he would be a decent fit fore a team that is typically team built. His running game could add to a play book in need of surprises and he would look dam good in red.

Apr 30 13 12:52 pm Link

Photographer

Chris Rifkin

Tampa, Florida, US

Orca Bay Images wrote:

Next off-season, the Raiders are slated to be somewhere between $60-70 million under the salary cap. Considering the smoking heap and salary-cap hell McKenzie inherited, I'd say that's one hell of a good direction.

And being a deciple of Thompson(Gb)where he is very deliberate on spending money(choosing mainly to resign his own playrs,and using surplus cap room in lieu of the crippling signing bonuses the Raiders were stuck wit)he won't go out an buy a team...because the collective barganing agreement also forces teams to have a floor,ie,I think they can't be any more than 35% or so under the cap per year...the Raiders will probably do what teams such as the Patriots,Giants do,which is sign a whole bunch of workahaulic fundamentally sound try hard guys to fill depth and holes,which would then allow the Raiders to truly go BPA throughout
The entire draft...
It is still going to be a slow process,but Al's son is giving the green light to rebuild this the correct way and take as long as needed

Apr 30 13 01:18 pm Link

Photographer

Heels and Hemlines

Southern Pines, North Carolina, US

Good riddance. I don't know why they brought him here in the first place.

Now if only they would release Rex Ryan.

Apr 30 13 01:20 pm Link

Photographer

Farenell Photography

Albany, New York, US

I really think the odds of Tebow finding another team will depend entirely on what kind of QB that particular team's management wants & the team is willing to run.

If they're expecting their QBs to be a high-flying, air-it-out passer we've become accustomed to all within the last 5 years in the Brees/(late) Brady/(both) Mannings/Rodgers/Rivers mold, he won't find a team in the NFL.

But they're willing to take an unglamorous game-manager who puts up mediocre numbers (if even that) but always seem to find ways to win in the mold of say Phil Simms/Trent Dilfer/Doug Flutie, he may find a place eventually.

Apr 30 13 02:08 pm Link

Photographer

Farenell Photography

Albany, New York, US

Robb Mann wrote:
As I heard it the Jets benched him last year when he stopped practicing with the team. Most coaches follow a no-train, no play policy. Tim felt he didn't need to practice, because he would be inspiried while playing to do the right thing.

That's what they're saying now but that's not remotely what the NY media was reporting as it happened.

Makes me seriously wonder if the pitiful Jets management is spreading those rumors to make themselves look better for trading to get Tebow after giving their golden boy Mark Sanchez a 5-year contract extension when they realized they lost out on the Peyton Manning sweepstakes. Only they look more idiotic because Sanchez stunk up the place last year, never really gave Tebow a chance especially when they literally had nothing to lose.

& its not like the Jets QB situation is any better this year. They go into training camp golden kaput boy Sanchez, drafted QB Gino Smith (when they really needed offensive line help), + 2 other veterans.

Apr 30 13 02:16 pm Link

Photographer

billy badfinger

Grand Rapids, Michigan, US

I say he should take 2 years off...(he's still young)...hire Joe Montana as his
personal saviour/trainer/coach...Joe can teach him to read defenses,stay calm
under pressure and throw the freakin' ball long,spirally(?) and accurately...

I still say the best thing that SHOULD have happened for him was to stay in Denver and just watch and learn from P. Manning...

Apr 30 13 03:15 pm Link

Photographer

Randy Poe

Green Cove Springs, Florida, US

Farenell nailed it on his style, a running game wins me as a fan whomever they may be. its exiting and he has that.

I am a Bronco fan normally, but I am in such a disappointed angry hate streak with Fox right now I find myself looking forward to Dumervile being all over Manning's face as he lay on the turf in the first game. Fox can go ahead and punt each time and I'll call it for him knowing I cant be wrong.

Then in a following week or two Tebow can come in in whatever team he might be with and hand it to the backup QB all afternoon, meanwhile Fox can walk the sidelines looking into space knowing with confidence he can still always punt. Elway will back his decision so no worries.

Jets never tried with Tebow, I don't understand the way people can spin that on being something he did wrong.

edited to add
Grrrrrr.

Apr 30 13 04:32 pm Link

Photographer

Andy Durazo

A creative Offensive co-ordinator could use a Tebow type player, as long as he is flexible. I'm not talking a wildcat qb. I'm talking modifying the A-11 Offense.

Apr 30 13 04:40 pm Link

Photographer

Kezins Photography

Beckley, West Virginia, US

billy badfinger wrote:

I still say the best thing that SHOULD have happened for him was to stay in Denver and just watch and learn from P. Manning...

Tebow will never be a Peyton Manning...not with a million years of instruction.  If he wants to be a QB, he should play in Canada.  He'd work with their system up there.  He needs to change positions to make any kind of valuable contribution in the NFL.

Apr 30 13 04:44 pm Link

Photographer

Docta Shock Fotografix

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, US

billy badfinger wrote:

I doubt that that was ever an option. He led them to the playoffs, beat the Pittsburgh Steelers and Elway couldn't get him to the airport fast enough

Apr 30 13 05:39 pm Link

Photographer

billy badfinger

Grand Rapids, Michigan, US

I never said he had the potential to be a P. Manning...just that he could have
learned soooo much from watching and listening to a Hall of Famer instead of
Sanchez...
The guy has some skills and a pretty strong resume...

Apr 30 13 06:28 pm Link

Photographer

Boho Hobo

Santa Barbara, California, US

Patchouli Nyx wrote:
so was it :

or

Robb Mann wrote:
3) People of New York prayed for Tebow to go away.

lol

Apr 30 13 06:31 pm Link

Photographer

GK photo

Docta Shock Photografix wrote:
I doubt that that was ever an option. He led them to the playoffs, beat the Pittsburgh Steelers and Elway couldn't get him to the airport fast enough

you read like you thought he was this:

https://www.greaterthings.com/images/People/washington_delaware.jpg

when he was actually more like this.

https://i.telegraph.co.uk/multimedia/archive/02410/Kim-Jong-un-korea_2410596b.jpg

Apr 30 13 06:35 pm Link

Photographer

K E E L I N G

Peoria, Illinois, US

billy badfinger wrote:
I never said he had the potential to be a P. Manning...just that he could have
learned soooo much from watching and listening to a Hall of Famer instead of
Sanchez...
The guy has some skills and a pretty strong resume...

Unfortunately quarterbacking isn't one of those skills.  Tim Tebow was simply managing the game, not affecting it.  The Broncos defense is what got them where they were... it was despite Tebow not because of him.

Apr 30 13 06:37 pm Link

Photographer

Robb Mann

Baltimore, Maryland, US

Farenell Photography wrote:

That's what they're saying now but that's not remotely what the NY media was reporting as it happened. Makes me seriously wonder if the pitiful Jets management is spreading those rumors to make themselves look better for trading to get Tebow after giving their golden boy Mark Sanchez a 5-year contract extension when they realized they lost out on the Peyton Manning sweepstakes. Only they look more idiotic because Sanchez stunk up the place last year, never really gave Tebow a chance especially when they literally had nothing to lose.

& its not like the Jets QB situation is any better this year. They go into training camp golden kaput boy Sanchez, drafted QB Gino Smith (when they really needed offensive line help), + 2 other veterans.

Actually, I heard those comments on TV (ESPN?) about halfwAy through the regular season last year. But yes, it does sound like one side of the story.

Apr 30 13 06:38 pm Link

Photographer

Let There Be Light

Another team offered Tebow a contract as a backup QB: the Omaha Beef of the Champions Professional Indoor Football League made him an offer of $75 a game.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/92282 … w-contract

Apr 30 13 06:52 pm Link

Photographer

Farenell Photography

Albany, New York, US

Robb Mann wrote:
Actually, I heard those comments on TV (ESPN?) about halfwAy through the regular season last year. But yes, it does sound like one side of the story.

If you're saying its ESPN, I can easily tell you it either came from Merill Hodge or Trent Dilfer. Because I've heard them myself.

They've been saying ever since he was drafted, he's not an NFL Quarterback, his mechanics suck, his passing accuracy is pitiful, & that he'll never make it anywhere in the NFL. Aside from the jury still being out on the latter, they're absolutely right!

But then I think the (NHL) goalie play of Dominik Hassek. Watching games films of him makes me feel like I'm watching the Discovery Channel documentary of a beached whale rescue. No sane person can teach the mechanics he uses because they're just so damn unorthodox. An NFL QB cannot win the game on his own but he CAN lose it, just ask any Bills fan who had to stomach the infamous Brad(?) Johnson - Doug Flutie controversy.

Apr 30 13 06:53 pm Link

Photographer

Orca Bay Images

Arcata, California, US

GK photo wrote:
if oakland is at the bottom of the waiver wire, and they can get him for nothing (all incentive based salary), don't be shocked. if you don't think they know the marketing value of having st. timmy in the black hole, then you're crazy. smile

Well, he cleared waivers. They didn't snag him. Not even for nothing.

May 01 13 03:39 am Link

Photographer

Orca Bay Images

Arcata, California, US

Let There Be Light wrote:
Another team offered Tebow a contract as a backup QB: the Omaha Beef of the Champions Professional Indoor Football League made him an offer of $75 a game.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/92282 … w-contract

$75 a game and they call themselves professional. Heh!

May 01 13 03:40 am Link

Photographer

Kezins Photography

Beckley, West Virginia, US

K E E L I N G wrote:
Unfortunately quarterbacking isn't one of those skills.  Tim Tebow was simply managing the game, not affecting it.  The Broncos defense is what got them where they were... it was despite Tebow not because of him.

The Broncos defense got hardly any credit that year when they kept them in every game they won.  The miracle TD pass against a depleted Steelers defense was actually not that great of a pass.  The receiver made that play happen.  We all saw what happened when Tebow faced the Patriots after that and the Patriots had a pretty average defense that year.  Bragging about beating up on a Pittsburgh team that was depleted with injuries isn't saying much.  Tebow would have never beat the Steelers team from a year or two before that game.  I'm a Steelers fan and I knew they would lose in the playoffs that year against any team they played.

May 01 13 04:18 am Link

Photographer

Edward Lewis USN

Madeira Beach, Florida, US

Orca Bay Images wrote:

He'd be one of the most effective RBs on the option pass, but as a running back of any sort in any other respect he'd be one of the worst in the league.

As a QB, he's a heck of a runner. As a running back, he's a heck of a QB. But at the NFL level, he's just not that good at what he's supposed to be doing.

Once again...please read my comment...I said FB or H-back NOT RB...also, as a back-up, who would you rather have, someone right out of college that has never played in a game, or at least someone with some NFL experience and a playoff win? I never stated that he should be a starting RB. If you are going to quote me, at least get the context correct.

May 01 13 05:51 am Link