Forums > Photography Talk > medium-format camera question

Photographer

Robert_Darabos

Saginaw, Michigan, US

I have an older medium-format camera.
Lubitel 166B TLR
I was wondering if this camera is appropriate for model photography, or if it just doesn't work very well for that type of shooting.
I've only ever done architecture shots with it, and figured I'd try it o a model and see what I can get but I figured i'd ask about it on here first.

As well, there seems to be a small light leak on the camera.  I've heard you can use electrical tape... or some sort of black tape... and tape off the camera and it will decrease the light leaks.  Is this accurate?  And, if not, how else can you descrease the leaks?
Thanks for any help.

Aug 22 05 08:55 pm Link

Photographer

Chris Oakley

Cocoa, Florida, US

i have a mamiya c330 with a 80mm lens.. i have used it many times and have gotten some classic shots.. you cant beat the glass.. plus you have a large area of infomation for the film to record.. medium format is still used in a lot of areas.. its not likely to go away soon.. but replaced with high res digitals.. my suggestion is to use it.. smile get some great shots.. i know i have with the mamiya.. smile

chris

Aug 22 05 08:59 pm Link

Photographer

JMedkeff

Anchorage, Alaska, US

Yep, I've "repaired" several light leaks that developed on various cameras with electrical tape. You need do nothing more than try to figure out what seam the light is leaking through, and put tape over that seam, on the exterior of the camera. If this happens to be at the film door (more common in 35mm) or back gasket (more common in MF), then you just do this every time you change film, using new tape each time.

I like using MF to shoot people in studio conditions. Go for it; you can really only tell if it works for you by trying.

Aug 23 05 12:16 am Link

Photographer

Sharon Gutowski

St Louis, Saskatchewan, Canada

I sometimes use my Mamiya RB 67 to shoot with models because it makes me look at the photos differently than my digital does.  The process is just a little different shooting with it.  I use it for my most serious work and will continue to until I can afford the true top of the line (1Ds Mark 2 for example.)

Good luck!

Aug 23 05 10:44 am Link