Forums > General Industry > Friendly or Iceman? Photographer ettiqutte

Photographer

Jerry Nemeth

Dearborn, Michigan, US

Eurocat wrote:
Soothing /low grunting noises seem to work for a variety of people.

I'm friendlier.  I have a conversation with the model.  Would you prefer me to grunt?    big_smile

Sep 18 13 04:56 pm Link

Model

Jules NYC

New York, New York, US

Dan OMell wrote:
there are probably too many polite, friendly and smiling killers around in the movies smile

in general, overly friendly people feel  sometimes artificial. it's like being at embassy reception with Israel and Iran leaders happily smiling each other and shaking hands. why not? it's a protocol.

plus, if you're too friendly to models, some may think you're a creep, or have some hidden agenda.

This.

I don't need to know your life story.
Be fun and take photographs. No diatribes on your ex wife/girlfriend/etc.

Sep 18 13 04:56 pm Link

Photographer

DougBPhoto

Portland, Oregon, US

Eurocat wrote:
Soothing /low grunting noises seem to work for a variety of people.

*grunts in agreement*

Sep 18 13 05:04 pm Link

Model

Laura UnBound

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Theres a difference between being friendly and making it seem like you booked the model just to hang out with a pretty (oftentimes naked) girl in your studio (which is oftentimes your house) for a couple hours

Theres a difference between being businesslike and being a total dick.

You can be nice, upbeat, and still all business.

Sep 18 13 05:10 pm Link

Photographer

nyk fury

Port Townsend, Washington, US

Vampman Studios wrote:
What is the right way of shooting with a professional model? Should you try to spark a conversation with them, or just tell them what to do and leave quietly when the shoot is over?

professional, meaning paid? perhaps pay them enough and they will tolerate our awkward attempts at geniality.

Sep 18 13 05:14 pm Link

Photographer

Bureau Form Guild

Scranton, Pennsylvania, US

I prefer the buffoon approach. Who doesn't love a clown?

Sep 18 13 05:27 pm Link

Model

Jules NYC

New York, New York, US

Laura UnBound wrote:
Theres a difference between being friendly and making it seem like you booked the model just to hang out with a pretty (oftentimes naked) girl in your studio (which is oftentimes your house) for a couple hours

Theres a difference between being businesslike and being a total dick.

You can be nice, upbeat, and still all business.

This.

Sep 18 13 05:32 pm Link

Photographer

DougBPhoto

Portland, Oregon, US

Antediluvian Design wrote:

Coulrophobics ?

Sep 18 13 05:33 pm Link

Model

Jules NYC

New York, New York, US

https://www.sockittome.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2012/03/Homey-Dont-Play-That.bmp

Sep 18 13 05:35 pm Link

Photographer

highStrangeness

Carmichael, California, US

DougBPhoto wrote:
Coulrophobics ?

Blame Steven King.  And, by association, blame H.P. Lovecraft, who although never wrote a clown story, is largely responsible for inspiring Steven King's career.

Sep 18 13 05:36 pm Link

Model

Caitin Bre

Apache Junction, Arizona, US

Depends on the photographer. I find myself watching the clock on iceman shoots.

Sep 18 13 06:12 pm Link

Photographer

Rays Fine Art

New York, New York, US

My experience with both models and actors is that those who talk too loudly about their "professionalism" are frequently the least professional in their conduct.  True professionals are able to maintain a comfortable but warm and friendly environment while maintaining appropriate boundaries.  The "cold fish" tend to be trying to mask their own discomfort and insecurity.  Best bet is to allow them the space they need when you have to work with them but strive to find people who are more fun to work with whenever possible.

All IMHO as always, of course.

Sep 18 13 06:14 pm Link

Photographer

Lovely Day Media

Vineland, New Jersey, US

I usually ask models personal things. They aren't so personal that they'd be apprehensive in telling me unless they are super tight lipped. If they're married or have a boyfriend is usually one of the things I ask. It's not because I'm trying to date them but to get them to loosen up a bit. If they'll talk about themselves, they'll usually relax enough to have a little fun and help make great shots.

Some models don't want to talk at all. Others don't want to shut up. I prefer the ones who don't want to shut up. smile They're much more fun for me as we can say silly things, crack jokes and generally have a great time. Touching is not part of my routine. I also don't ask them to undress, what their financial status is, what they enjoy in bed or anything else that is usually reserved for an SO. School, work, pets, siblings ... it's all in getting them to loosen up.  It usually works.

I tell them up front that if I ask them something they don't want to tell me, just say so and that'll be the end of it. As I said, some models appear nervous, tight lipped and stiff. This all leads to shoots that aren't fun, don't produce good images (for me) and aren't conducive to second or subsequent shoots.

Sep 18 13 06:32 pm Link

Model

Jules NYC

New York, New York, US

When a photographer/boss asks a model if they have a boyfriend or are married, it sounds like an opening to date them.

Esp. if it's asked within the first 5 minutes of conversation.

Not so cool.

If a model is not 'loosened' up to model, that is a bigger problem than a photographer trying to be all cutesy.

Having a great personality is one thing, being intrusive is another.  Not everyone that doesn't enjoy talking about personal shit like a talk show is 'cold'.

Sep 18 13 07:01 pm Link

Model

Jules NYC

New York, New York, US

Rays Fine Art wrote:
My experience with both models and actors is that those who talk too loudly about their "professionalism" are frequently the least professional in their conduct.  True professionals are able to maintain a comfortable but warm and friendly environment while maintaining appropriate boundaries.  The "cold fish" tend to be trying to mask their own discomfort and insecurity.  Best bet is to allow them the space they need when you have to work with them but strive to find people who are more fun to work with whenever possible.

All IMHO as always, of course.

Some people are shy and find overbearing personalities uncomfortable. Not in my case, but the TMI people are a little much for my comfort.  I can deal with it though.  Pay me and I'll listen to any fucking shit and do my job.

I usually have fun at my shoots and it's all very genuine.

Sep 18 13 07:05 pm Link

Clothing Designer

GRMACK

Bakersfield, California, US

There is also the possibility that the OP's model may have come from a "GWC" gig (i.e. "Groper with Camera") and she was basically setting the OP up for her new rules based on her prior experience with the groper.  Maybe he reminded her of him too.

I still recall one on here whose profile rules were:  "You dare show up with a Polaroid for a camera and I will bitch-slap you, stab you, and beat your dead carcass down into the nearest sewer grate with my high heels."  Who becomes afraid of whom, and would you even mess with her?

Still, if they are that angry about it, shooting with them might be ill advised until they cool off a bit - or maybe never.

Sep 18 13 07:08 pm Link

Model

Jules NYC

New York, New York, US

GRMACK wrote:
There is also the possibility that the OP's model may have come from a "GWC" gig (i.e. "Groper with Camera") and she was basically setting the OP up for her new rules based on her prior experience with the groper.  Maybe he reminded her of him too.

I still recall one on here whose profile rules were:  "You dare show up with a Polaroid for a camera and I will bitch-slap you, stab you, and beat your dead carcass down into the nearest sewer grate with my high heels."  Who becomes afraid of whom, and would you even mess with her?

Still, if they are that angry about it, shooting with them might be ill advised until they cool off a bit - or maybe never.

To put that on a profile is not wise.  Even if you are new to the business.  It's like you are attracting the weirdos/GWC people.

You can be with an agency and work with a creep.

I only worked with two/three jerks in my entire career and one of them was a woman.  A very bitter, not so fun woman.  Before the shoot, I had to hear all the intimate details of her failed relationship with her husband, then when we were to shoot that day, all of her negativity was overflowing as if you cut a main artery.

Ugh!

I'm pretty sensitive and understanding but that woman I wanted to tell her to shut the Christ up already.

Sep 18 13 07:10 pm Link

Photographer

fussgangerfoto

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, US

With amateurs, being an "iceman" is likely to turn a deer-in-the-headlights model into a complete stiff. If I've got a real pro for a model and during introductions she strikes me as a real matter-of-fact kinda girl, we can get down to business without a lot of warm/fuzzy banter. My default approach is always friendly, courteous and professional.

Sep 18 13 07:25 pm Link

Photographer

GER Photography

Imperial, California, US

I always have to smile, when I frown people start hiding behind furniture, doors, window shades...:-))))))

Sep 18 13 07:29 pm Link

Model

Jules NYC

New York, New York, US

fussgangerfoto wrote:
With amateurs, being an "iceman" is likely to turn a deer-in-the-headlights model into a complete stiff. If I've got a real pro for a model and during introductions she strikes me as a real matter-of-fact kinda girl, we can get down to business without a lot of warm/fuzzy banter. My default approach is always friendly, courteous and professional.

https://momsgrilledcheesetruck.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/Just-The-Facts-Maam-Moms-Grilled-Cheese-Truck.jpg

wink

Sep 18 13 07:33 pm Link

Model

Caitin Bre

Its kind of like The Horse Whisperer.
Its an energy.
I like working with photographers that are real, themselves and have a passion for the craft. You can feel it. Its like they don't have to say move left or this and that, I can tell exactly what they want me to do by there movements. Its soft gentle motion not a force. Its called a feel.
Do you ever do a shoot that you say this just doesn't feel right? and usually you start to find out why.... when the hidden agenda or motives start becoming clear.

I think like a horse trainer does with horses, a photographer can learn his skill of working with people. If they are arrogant and full of testosterone guided ego, that feel is going to be rough to get what he needs and wants from the shoot. Its hard to trust a iceman because he is hiding himself.
Above even knowing the skills of your equipment is the people skills.

The Law of Attraction is a great place to start.

Sep 18 13 07:36 pm Link

Photographer

DougBPhoto

Portland, Oregon, US

aspergianLens wrote:
Blame Steven King.  And, by association, blame H.P. Lovecraft, who although never wrote a clown story, is largely responsible for inspiring Steven King's career.

People were afraid of clowns long before Steven King.

Sep 18 13 07:37 pm Link

Model

Julia Steel

Sylvania, Ohio, US

I like friendly! What i don't care for (but I can work with it): overly communicative (texting/calling/messaging me to discuss things not even really related to our shoot. I like to talk too but I work 3 jobs, I'm too busy to chat!), and hitting on me. It really is annoying and makes me uncomfortable. Lol. I've never worked with a standoffish client though so I'm not sure how I'd feel about it.

Sep 18 13 07:38 pm Link

Model

Jules NYC

New York, New York, US

This guy can show up, shoot me and say nothing and I'd be cool with that.

https://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c61/jbilotta/Ice-Man-top-gun-4793275-352-500_zpsff23fffb.jpg

Sep 18 13 07:42 pm Link

Photographer

highStrangeness

DougBPhoto wrote:

People were afraid of clowns long before Steven King.

Heh, true enough.  But I imagine there are a lot of people who were traumatized by "IT" as a child -- either the book itself or the movies based on it.

I don't especially find clowns all that funny.  I find them annoying, more than anything else.

Sep 18 13 07:45 pm Link

Photographer

highStrangeness

Jules NYC wrote:

I see you're not the only one who thought of Top Gun when the word "Iceman" was used.

Sep 18 13 07:46 pm Link

Photographer

ontherocks

Salem, Oregon, US

i've had models complain about the icemen. so maybe it depends on the model and also the type of modeling. but sometimes rapport with the model really helps make for some good pictures (if nothing else it makes me feel more comfortable and confident) but maybe the "pro" models can just turn it off and on as needed independent of the photographer.

Sep 18 13 07:48 pm Link

Model

Jules NYC

New York, New York, US

aspergianLens wrote:
I see you're not the only one who thought of Top Gun when the word "Iceman" was used.

lol

I find his jumpsuit very sexy.

Sep 18 13 07:49 pm Link

Photographer

highStrangeness

Jules NYC wrote:

lol

I find his jumpsuit very sexy.

That was all before he went off the deep end with Scientology and jumped up and down on Oprah's couch.

Sep 18 13 07:58 pm Link

Model

Caitin Bre

ontherocks wrote:
i've had models complain about the icemen. so maybe it depends on the model and also the type of modeling. but sometimes rapport with the model really helps make for some good pictures (if nothing else it makes me feel more comfortable and confident) but maybe the "pro" models can just turn it off an on as needed independent of the photographer.

Turning it off and on.
That would be when there is no connection and comfort. Its just a job and not artistic expression at that point. It becomes "When in Rome do as Romans do". Yes it is more often than not.
Expect differences in this when it comes to cash or trade. In trade there has to be something that I like about the photographer over and beyond his photography skill set. It is a partnership in the goals of each. A meeting of the minds. And his passion to create.

Sep 18 13 08:00 pm Link

Model

Julia Steel

Sylvania, Ohio, US

aspergianLens wrote:

That was all before he went off the deep end with Scientology and jumped up and down on Oprah's couch.

Tom Cruise? Lol

Sep 18 13 08:01 pm Link

Model

Jules NYC

New York, New York, US

Caustic Disco wrote:

Tom Cruise? Lol

Exactly

ha ha

Not Val Kilmer.

Sep 18 13 08:03 pm Link

Model

Julia Steel

Sylvania, Ohio, US

Jules NYC wrote:

Exactly

ha ha

Not Val Kilmer.

lol i was like waitaminute big_smile

Sep 18 13 08:04 pm Link

Model

Jules NYC

New York, New York, US

aspergianLens wrote:

I did deeply appreciate Tom's excitement to be married.  Didn't work out but minus the weirdo religion crap and a guy jumping up and down for love?

Oh yeah, good stuff.

Sep 18 13 08:04 pm Link

Photographer

highStrangeness

Jules NYC wrote:

Exactly

ha ha

Not Val Kilmer.

Oops.  Wrong guy... my mistake.

Yeah, Val Kilmer isn't nearly as nutty as Cruise is.  He isn't a Scientologist as far as I know.

Sep 18 13 08:09 pm Link

Photographer

Llobet Photography

Fort Lauderdale, Florida, US

Jules NYC wrote:

So you had to go and divulge my secret identity, huh. mad

Sep 18 13 08:13 pm Link

Photographer

E H

Calgary, Alberta, Canada

Vampman Studios wrote:
So, I was working with a professional model who was complaining about the overly friendly nature of some photographers. She told me that she believes all photographers need to walk in, shut up, take the photos needed, and walk out. However, I know a few photographers who act like this, and, though they take great work, the models don't like them because they're to standoffish and treat models basically like cattle. But these "Icemen" seem to be more successful than a friendly photographer who wants the model to have fun during her shoot, despite their work being on the same level.

What is the right way of shooting with a professional model? Should you try to spark a conversation with them, or just tell them what to do and leave quietly when the shoot is over?

Photographer is a job, model is a job,, work first...  Get the shots, then talk after about the shoot or the next shoot...

Sep 18 13 08:22 pm Link

Model

Goodbye4

Los Angeles, California, US

I think it's awesome when photographers are friendly and show me their personalities. I love joking around with photographers and hearing their stories.

Sep 18 13 08:37 pm Link

Photographer

highStrangeness

E H wrote:
Photographer is a job, model is a job,, work first...  Get the shots, then talk after about the shoot or the next shoot...

I often talk while I shoot ...but not excessively. 

Also, it may well be a job, but that doesn't mean it shouldn't be enjoyable.  I would make a serious argument that artwork suffers if it's not enjoyable.

Kelleth wrote:
I think it's awesome when photographers are friendly and show me their personalities. I love joking around with photographers and hearing their stories.

I think it's fairly important to not be "overly" professional (read : stiff and uptight).  I just act like myself and don't worry too much about it.  I dislike excessive rigidity when it comes to dealing with models.  Fortunately I haven't really run into that problem very often.

Sep 18 13 09:10 pm Link

Photographer

ChadAlan

Los Angeles, California, US

With me, it kinda depends on the model's "energy". Sometimes we (my team) really click with the model and it's a party. Other times it's cordial, but quiet and professional. Sometimes the shoot goes very quickly, and other times we find ourselves breaking for pizza. For the most part I've been lucky in that most models are very fun and energetic.

I work with a fair amount of agency newbies (very first shoot), so it's my job in that case, to make them comfortable, to encourage them and offer guidance without any pressure to perform.

Sep 18 13 11:56 pm Link