Forums > Model Colloquy > Models (and others): what's your ethnicity?

Model

sasweets

Ottawa, Ontario, Canada

Bajan/St. Lucian/English/German/French.

Dec 10 13 04:35 pm Link

Photographer

MesmerEyes Photography

Galveston, Texas, US

Like many Americans I'm not positive of all of my "recent" family heritage. I do know that I'm part "Cherokee" and have traced part of the family back to the 1500's in what is now Southwestern Germany. The rest is a little murky. Some information is pointing to viking ancestry via Ireland, England, and Normandy (Battle of Hastings in 1066), but it can't be confirmed. :shrug:

Dec 10 13 06:40 pm Link

Model

Dani-Mae

Myrtle Beach, South Carolina, US

German, Dutch, Italian.

Dec 11 13 03:46 pm Link

Model

Kaye Kislowski

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Interesting to see try to guess based on photos and see if I'm right based on everyone's answers :]

I'm Polish

Dec 11 13 04:38 pm Link

Model

V Laroche

Khowmeyn, Markazī, Iran

Amadea T wrote:
I think ANY half breed (pardon me for the probably highly PI term here) are absolutely gorgeous.

What the everloving fuck. Breeds are for dogs and cats. People have races. Some of us are "mixed race." Not "half breed." Please leave that terminology in To Kill a Mockingbird and do not ever use it in public or private ever again.

Dec 11 13 05:55 pm Link

Model

JadeDRed

London, England, United Kingdom

V Laroche wrote:
People have races.

People invented races to justify the mistreatment of other human beings.

Dec 11 13 06:51 pm Link

Model

V Laroche

Khowmeyn, Markazī, Iran

JadeDRed wrote:

People invented races to justify the mistreatment of other human beings.

Well, races do have a genetic basis, but yes, many of our conceptualizations of race are social constructs. That doesn't make race any less of a reality.

Dec 11 13 07:00 pm Link

Model

Kirst

Derry, New Hampshire, US

Irish american :]

Dec 11 13 07:07 pm Link

Model

Amanda Joy Curtis

Los Angeles, California, US

Russian, English, Irish, Cherokee

Dec 13 13 12:21 am Link

Model

Elle Astoria

South Bend, Indiana, US

Half Dutch, one quarter Belgian, one eighth Hungarian, one eighth German.

Dec 15 13 07:11 pm Link

Model

Jonny Jean

V Laroche wrote:

What the everloving fuck. Breeds are for dogs and cats. People have races. Some of us are "mixed race." Not "half breed." Please leave that terminology in To Kill a Mockingbird and do not ever use it in public or private ever again.

Not according to wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Half-breed

I am half Black and half white (swedish/english)

Dec 15 13 07:20 pm Link

Photographer

Snowmonkey Design

Esher-Molesey, England, United Kingdom

Hmm 1/4 Hungarian, 1/4 Czech  n 1/2 Yorkshire ( tis a country, Gods own wink ) add to that distantly Mongolian as Mongolian empire stretched to Hungary. smile

Dec 16 13 04:34 am Link

Photographer

beyond-the-surface

New York, New York, US

Good question. I have the Dutch passport, my mom is dutch so are her father and mother. My dad is German and his mother, too. But his father is polish. Everything before that I don't know.

Dec 16 13 06:41 pm Link

Model

retiredanddeleted

Azul, Buenos Aires, Argentina

Filipina
Italian
Chinese
Spanish

Born in Canada!
big_smile

Dec 28 13 11:18 am Link

Model

MelodyMay

San Diego, California, US

I'm 3/4 Filipino and 1/4 haphazard mix of Hawaiian, Japanese and German ancestry-- shake until ice cold and add a thin slice of lemon peel. =P

None of the mixing really shows up (though I do get asked what race I am more often than I used to when I was younger-- not sure what changed). The only thing that suggests mixed ancestry is my thick, loosely wavy brown hair that doesn't happen too often in Asia.

Dec 28 13 04:56 pm Link

Model

Rockabella

Bargara, Queensland, Australia

Irish, Lebanese and Sicilian smile

Dec 28 13 05:28 pm Link

Model

Chelsea Marlo

Portland, Oregon, US

Irish, German, Guamanian Chamorro, Spanish, English, Chinese, Sioux, Blackfoot, Cherokee, probably other things but I'm done typing smile

Dec 28 13 08:03 pm Link

Model

Alishah A

Kensington, Maryland, US

100% West African, but a Ghanaian/Nigerian mix.

Dec 28 13 08:18 pm Link

Model

Bunny Bombshell

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

I don't really see the issue some people have with this topic. It's nice to know your heritage, and where your ancestors are from

Dec 29 13 06:06 am Link

Model

NikkiLaShae

Mom- Irish, Choctaw, Black
Dad- Creole, Black

Me= American hodge-podge

Dec 29 13 05:03 pm Link

Photographer

All Yours Photography

Lawton, Oklahoma, US

Call Me Caitlin wrote:

Does that include me? big_smile

TBH, I can't tell the differences between most Asian people. All I know is that people from Northern Asia have lighter skin, and that the Japanese & Korean are extremely fashion conscious.

Yes, that does include you.

Facial features, the nose in particular vary.  If you are familiar with the differences, you can often pick out someone from Laos as distinct from a Veit Namese, etc.

Dec 29 13 08:53 pm Link

Model

P I X I E

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

s c i a t h wrote:
Irish, Lebanese and Sicilian smile

My husband is half Lebanese. <3

Dec 29 13 09:40 pm Link

Model

Anna Adrielle

Antwerp, Antwerp, Belgium

Selina Katzen wrote:
I don't really see the issue some people have with this topic. It's nice to know your heritage, and where your ancestors are from

the "issue" is how people mix up ethnicity (see title of the thread) with heritage, ancestry and/or nationality smile. But that's okay.

Dec 30 13 07:02 am Link

Photographer

Kincaid Blackwood

Gallery-MG wrote:
It's just a question.  A person's ethnic background can inform their cultural background and practices.  It's not always nefarious.

EDIT:  OF COURSE ethnicity doesn't always equate to "culture," but it can.  I suppose my contention is your original statement: "It [questions re: ethnicity] exists only for bad reasons."  Obviously that isn't true.  It's a neutral question.

This is a point worth noting. Some people say "ethnicity" and are referring to a cultural identification/influence/upbring. Some say it and they're referring to biological characteristics.

Ironically, most who expound on their ethnicity are culturally 100% American with generally identifiable racial traits.

Dec 30 13 09:41 am Link

Photographer

Kincaid Blackwood

Anna Adrielle wrote:
the "issue" is how people mix up ethnicity (see title of the thread) with heritage, ancestry and/or nationality smile. But that's okay.

It's not difficult to mix it up. The term seemed to rise in prominence around the time when nationality became an understood/definable term. It was when nation-states and national borders began to be defined, which may or may not have properly encompassed racially/culturally similar groups. So you'd have a nation with 70% of one group and 30% of another which looked different and may have even spoken a different language altogether. Their nationality would be one thing and their ethnicity would be another.

Then, with further colonial expansion, you'd have people coming to places like the Americas and begin to equate a nation with ethnicity when that's not really the case. Some, for instance, say their ethnicity is Italian but there are a number of ethnic groups within Italy. A friend of mine originally from Russia but lived in the States since being about 10 was pretty candid in the fact that due to how he looked, Russians from Moscow would know he was from Southern Russia with only a glance. In the States, when someone says they're ethnically Russian, we don't ask what type; we tend to look at it as just this one thing.

Sure, people frequently confuse it but it is pretty easy to do so.

Dec 30 13 09:50 am Link

Photographer

FEN RIR Photo

Westminster, Colorado, US

Scandinavian - 6.5 feet tall, blonde hair, Blue eyes, Red beard.  UV sensitive, thick curly hair, and I can grow my own sweater in the winter!

Dec 30 13 10:07 am Link

Photographer

Rp-photo

Houston, Texas, US

Mostly English with some German and French. My surname Priest is of English origin and is one of the Mayflower names (Digory Priest).

I'm becoming more and more convinced that I have Irish in me based on perceived resemblance to people known  to be Irish.

Dec 30 13 10:13 am Link

Photographer

Rp-photo

Houston, Texas, US

Erik Ballew wrote:
Scandinavian - 6.5 feet tall, blonde hair, Blue eyes, Red beard.  UV sensitive, thick curly hair, and I can grow my own sweater in the winter!

According to one theory, the red hair gene comes from the Neanderthal smile

Dec 30 13 10:14 am Link

Photographer

A-M-P

Orlando, Florida, US

Puerto Rican which is pretty much a mix of European, Native and African.

I always get these from people guessing. Middle eastern, Native American, Italian

My father looks really middle eastern so who knows what I would find if I was to go back far enough.

Dec 30 13 10:24 am Link

Model

Raychel Adams

Detroit, Michigan, US

Russian and French.

Dec 30 13 10:36 am Link

Photographer

FEN RIR Photo

Westminster, Colorado, US

rp_photo wrote:

According to one theory, the red hair gene comes from the Neanderthal smile

Makes sense.  Maybe skin cancer lead to their extinction?

Dec 30 13 11:22 am Link

Model

Angie Marie

Portland, Oregon, US

Cuban

Jan 02 14 06:59 pm Link

Model

Autumn Andrea

West Jordan, Utah, US

Mostly Welsh

Jan 02 14 07:27 pm Link

Model

Sarah Quill

Tauranga, Bay of Plenty, New Zealand

Irish/English decent on one side, Belarusian/Georgian/Polish on the other

Jan 02 14 08:30 pm Link

Model

Sophia Powell

Lörrach, Baden-Württemberg, Germany

I am Jamaican

Jan 02 14 08:54 pm Link

Model

Pauline Yee

Calgary, Alberta, Canada

I am half Ukrainian and half Chinese

Jan 02 14 09:19 pm Link

Model

KellenJordan

San Diego, California, US

French. English. Filipino. Black.

Jan 04 14 11:48 am Link

Model

Jala Larin

York, Pennsylvania, US

I am African American, Native American, Italian, Caucasian, and a bit of Puerto Rican.

Jan 05 14 12:52 pm Link

Model

Jenna Mireille

Ocean Springs, Mississippi, US

Im french, enlgish, irish, cherokee

(French/english from moms side)
(French/Irish/cherokee from dads side)

Clearly im more dominately french seein as its from both my parents lol

Jan 05 14 12:59 pm Link

Model

JakobK

Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada