Photographer

Keith Allen Phillips

Santa Fe, New Mexico, US

I'm too cheap/broke to spend money on a good tripod since I rarely use one, but I've been on the road for about 6 months now and a couple of months ago I decided I really needed a new one since I tend to do more nature type stuff when I'm on the road. The one I have is huge, heavy and a giant POS.

Since I'm too cheap to pay out of pocket for one I started looking for photo contests to enter that had decent prizes, didn't rights grab and didn't cost anything to enter. I only found one that I bothered to enter a couple of times before I lost interest.

Well, a couple of days ago I got a notice that I won second place and a $200 Adorama gift certificate. That will get me most of the way towards a good tripod.

I love it when a late night beer fueled plan comes together big_smile

This was the image that got 2nd place. I happened to be driving past the Very Large Array as a storm was coming through. Just got lucky:)
https://myluckylife.com/temp/2013/08-09-13a.jpg

Here's a few others I shot that day.
https://myluckylife.com/temp/2013/08-09-13b.jpg

https://myluckylife.com/temp/2013/08-09-13c.jpg

https://myluckylife.com/temp/2013/08-09-13d.jpg

Jan 07 14 05:02 pm Link

Photographer

David M Russell

New York, New York, US

I was kind of hoping for a "major award" that turned out to be a fishnet clad leg lamp with a tassel shade.

Jan 07 14 05:11 pm Link

Photographer

Keith Allen Phillips

Santa Fe, New Mexico, US

David M Russell wrote:
I was kind of hoping for a "major award" that turned out to be a fishnet clad leg lamp with a tassel shade.

That would have been cool too!
If it had three fishnet clad legs and a ball head it would have been even better tongue

Jan 07 14 05:35 pm Link

Photographer

NothingIsRealButTheGirl

Los Angeles, California, US

borat

Jan 07 14 05:43 pm Link

Photographer

NothingIsRealButTheGirl

I never win anything sad

Jan 07 14 05:48 pm Link

Photographer

C h a r l e s D

I went to the reptile show this weekend. 

I won 3 baby tarantulas.  What the effing eff am I going to do with three baby tarantulas?  He said throw in a pin head cricket every week.  I guess I'll start with that.

It was one of those pachinko games where you drop the chip and it bounces off pins and falls in a slot on the bottom.  The problem with this guys set up is he had the winning slot right in the center!  I told the guy he should have the winning slots at the ends, where it's almost impossible, probability wise, to win.  He didn't agree.  I gave him five bucks, and dropped it five times, won three. 

Everyone was pulling pulling out their dollars after that.  I wonder if he changed it.

You know, they're super duper friendly at the very large array!  They even talked to me, showed me around a bit, told me of their current observations, and let me wander aimlessly.  Neat place.  Just wish it wasn't so far in the middle of nowhere.

Jan 07 14 06:01 pm Link

Photographer

Awesome Headshots

San Ramon, California, US

C h a r l e s  D wrote:

I won 3 baby tarantulas.  What the effing eff am I going to do with three baby tarantulas?

Trade them to the OP for his $200 gift certificate. He can glue long sticks to their heads, slap on a Gitzo head and voila.... there's his Tripod. Win-win big_smile

OP: Great shots man. Could see those on a smooth silver gel.

Jan 07 14 06:06 pm Link

Photographer

C h a r l e s D

hehe.  Awesome!

Jan 07 14 06:09 pm Link

Photographer

D. Brian Nelson

Rapid City, South Dakota, US

You're a Lucky Bastard!

But the first time I saw the photos, they scared me silly.

Congratulations!

Don

Jan 07 14 07:13 pm Link

Photographer

Keith Allen Phillips

Santa Fe, New Mexico, US

D. Brian Nelson wrote:
You're a Lucky Bastard!

But the first time I saw the photos, they scared me silly.

Congratulations!

Don

I'm a dumbass.
After I shot these I jumped back in the car and hit the road, then the storm hit me and I quickly decided it would be a good idea to pull over and wait it out since I couldn't see more than about 10 feet in front of me. It was literally like a wall of water hit me. What isn't in the pictures is the massive amount of lighting that storm had in it. That was the scariest part.

Jan 07 14 07:27 pm Link

Photographer

Mortonovich II

San Diego, California, US

Nice, Lucky!!!!

Jan 07 14 07:36 pm Link

Photographer

ChadAlan

Wow so cool.

Jan 07 14 08:12 pm Link

Photographer

Jerry Nemeth

Dearborn, Michigan, US

Keith Allen Phillips wrote:

I'm a dumbass.
After I shot these I jumped back in the car and hit the road, then the storm hit me and I quickly decided it would be a good idea to pull over and wait it out since I couldn't see more than about 10 feet in front of me. It was literally like a wall of water hit me. What isn't in the pictures is the massive amount of lighting that storm had in it. That was the scariest part.

I would have taken that shot also.   Congratulations!
I've been in storms like that myself.  They are very scary!

Jan 08 14 05:07 am Link

Photographer

Christopher Hartman

Buena Park, California, US

Even though you didn't get a fragile "major award", congratulations Keith!!

Jan 08 14 07:19 am Link

Photographer

Christopher Hartman

Buena Park, California, US

C h a r l e s  D wrote:

I won 3 baby tarantulas.  What the effing eff am I going to do with three baby tarantulas?  He said throw in a pin head cricket every week.  I guess I'll start with that.

It was one of those pachinko games where you drop the chip and it bounces off pins and falls in a slot on the bottom.  The problem with this guys set up is he had the winning slot right in the center!  I told the guy he should have the winning slots at the ends, where it's almost impossible, probability wise, to win.  He didn't agree.  I gave him five bucks, and dropped it five times, won three. 

Everyone was pulling pulling out their dollars after that.  I wonder if he changed it.

You know, they're super duper friendly at the very large array!  They even talked to me, showed me around a bit, told me of their current observations, and let me wander aimlessly.  Neat place.  Just wish it wasn't so far in the middle of nowhere.

maybe he had a lot of spiders he wanted to get rid of.

Jan 08 14 07:20 am Link

Photographer

R Bruce Duncan

Santa Barbara, California, US

Well Done, Lucky!

Jan 10 14 10:36 am Link