Forums > Off-Topic Discussion > Central Florida Chit Chat Number One...

Photographer

Frank Lewis Photography

Winter Park, Florida, US

sospix wrote:
Ever worked with Colonial Photo and Hobby???  There's also a place in St. Pete, I'll see if I can get the contact info  .  .  .

SOS

I've used Colonial and Harmon in the past but I'm very impressed with the quality and cost of The Darkroom, plus they have a very good turn-around.

I used to process all my film here at the house. Had my Paterson tank and film reels, flasks of D-76 and fixer in the refrigerator ready to go. Loaded my exposed film into the Paterson tank while sitting in the closet with a towel tucked under the door to prevent random light from leaking in, then processed the film in the kitchen. After the film was processed I hung the film strips in the shower to dry overnight. Had my little light box to review negatives to see what I would print. I can't find it now but the loupe I used was issued to me in February 1967 as part of my Illustrator (AFSC 22351) tool kit.

For a number of years, back in the '80s, I studied under Bob Eginton at Valencia East Campus before he passed away. Bob was a TIME/LIFE shooter back in the day so he a lot of knowledge to pass on. I did all my printing in that darkroom. After Bob passed, I moved up to Crealde and rented darkroom space from them. I'd run into Rick Lang now and again at Crealde and at Orlando Camera Club. I got to know Nancy Jay while I was there at Crealde too.

I sure do miss those days. I feel I did my best work back then. I miss having my fingernails stained with heavy chemicals and the smell of the darkroom. I still have my negatives somewhere here at home, I just haven't been able to find them in a long time. I'd like to find them so I can scan some of them and make new prints.

I still enjoy shooting with my old ME Super. The clack of the mirror going up and down. The sound of the motor winder moving the film through the camera. Digital photography is picture taking for the masses. Film photography has so much more personality and is so much more esoteric.

I guess I'm starting to ramble...

Mar 29 17 09:21 am Link

Photographer

Frank Lewis Photography

Winter Park, Florida, US

Top o the page, y'all. Have a cold one on me...

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0857/4246/files/beerdoingitwrong900x900_large.jpg?v=1472833713

Mar 29 17 09:25 am Link

Photographer

A Thousand Words

Lakeland, Florida, US

Frank Lewis Photography wrote:

I've used Colonial and Harmon in the past but I'm very impressed with the quality and cost of The Darkroom, plus they have a very good turn-around.

I used to process all my film here at the house. Had my Paterson tank and film reels, flasks of D-76 and fixer in the refrigerator ready to go. Loaded my exposed film into the Paterson tank while sitting in the closet with a towel tucked under the door to prevent random light from leaking in, then processed the film in the kitchen. After the film was processed I hung the film strips in the shower to dry overnight. Had my little light box to review negatives to see what I would print. I can't find it now but the loupe I used was issued to me in February 1967 as part of my Illustrator (AFSC 22351) tool kit.

For a number of years, back in the '80s, I studied under Bob Eginton at Valencia East Campus before he passed away. Bob was a TIME/LIFE shooter back in the day so he a lot of knowledge to pass on. I did all my printing in that darkroom. After Bob passed, I moved up to Crealde and rented darkroom space from them. I'd run into Rick Lang now and again at Crealde and at Orlando Camera Club. I got to know Nancy Jay while I was there at Crealde too.

I sure do miss those days. I feel I did my best work back then. I miss having my fingernails stained with heavy chemicals and the smell of the darkroom. I still have my negatives somewhere here at home, I just haven't been able to find them in a long time. I'd like to find them so I can scan some of them and make new prints.

I still enjoy shooting with my old ME Super. The clack of the mirror going up and down. The sound of the motor winder moving the film through the camera. Digital photography is picture taking for the masses. Film photography has so much more personality and is so much more esoteric.

I guess I'm starting to ramble...

I too miss my old film days. I had thought about starting up a business renting studio space along with a darkroom for rent, but I ended up thinking it wasn't financially viable. Maybe when I hit the lottery.

Apr 02 17 02:56 pm Link

Photographer

Frank Lewis Photography

Winter Park, Florida, US

Sun n Fun on Thursday. Stallion 51's 30th anniversary. Thirty-plus P-51s on hand for the event. This is gonna be fun!!

https://c1.staticflickr.com/4/3824/32424208154_10919cb160_c.jpgFlight of Three by Frank Lewis, on Flickr

Apr 04 17 11:25 am Link

Photographer

sospix

Orlando, Florida, US

Sun n Fun on Thursday. Stallion 51's 30th anniversary. Thirty-plus P-51s on hand for the event. This is gonna be fun!!

https://c1.staticflickr.com/4/3824/32424208154_10919cb160_c.jpgFlight of Three by Frank Lewis, on Flickr

Hope the weather holds off FL, supposed to be pretty wet  .  .  .  I can almost feel those engines roarin'  .  .  .  have a blast if Mom Nature cooperates, is there a "rain day" if Thursday is a washout?

SOS

Apr 04 17 02:45 pm Link

Photographer

Frank Lewis Photography

Winter Park, Florida, US

sospix wrote:

Hope the weather holds off FL, supposed to be pretty wet  .  .  .  I can almost feel those engines roarin'  .  .  .  have a blast if Mom Nature cooperates, is there a "rain day" if Thursday is a washout?

SOS

Weather.com indicates partly cloudy with a 20% chance of rain on Thursday. Correction. Eighty percent chance of rain on Thursday. If the event doesn't happen on Thursday, there is only Friday and Saturday left for Sun n Fun. Weather.com indicates mostly sunny and 0% chance of rain for Friday.

Apr 05 17 05:36 am Link

Photographer

Frank Lewis Photography

Winter Park, Florida, US

Just spoke with Stallion51. Airplanes are still going over to Lakeland today. The first flight will be departing in about thirty minutes. The rain is expected to be over night rather than all day tomorrow. The next flight takes off at approx 11:30. I think I'll go down to Kissimmee and watch me some Mustangs fly away.

Ramp cam at Stallion51: http://www.stallion51.com/camera1.shtml

Apr 05 17 05:43 am Link

Photographer

Frank Lewis Photography

Winter Park, Florida, US

Well, I'm back from Stallion51. What a day! Shot almost 400 images and I finished my roll of Tri-X finally. There were three other shooters there besides me. Two local photogs and a fellow who is an editor for FlyPast magazine in England. He is here to shoot Sun n Fun for the magazine. We were able to go out to the departure end of the runway to shoot the Mustangs as they were leaving for Lakeland. It was out there that I made a very rookie mistake. Geez! I accidentally turned on the shutter timer. I thought my camera had gone belly up! Three P-51s whizzed over my head and headed south and I didn't get a single shot off. After fiddling around with my camera for about fifteen minutes, I discovered what had happened and turned off the timer. I was able to get the next three Mustangs as they departed for Lakeland.

Apr 05 17 11:27 am Link

Photographer

Frank Lewis Photography

Winter Park, Florida, US

Weather or not, going to Sun n Fun today.

Film at eleven...

Apr 06 17 03:24 am Link

Photographer

Koryo Photography

Tampa, Florida, US

Hope your shutter was quicker today Frank smile

Apr 06 17 04:54 pm Link

Photographer

Koryo Photography

Tampa, Florida, US

...and, we're back...

Apr 18 17 11:39 am Link

Photographer

Koryo Photography

Tampa, Florida, US

...and, we're back...

Apr 18 17 11:39 am Link

Photographer

A Thousand Words

Lakeland, Florida, US

Still here......

[cricket]

[cricket]

Apr 18 17 02:07 pm Link

Photographer

Frank Lewis Photography

Winter Park, Florida, US

Sometimes it's exhausting keeping this thread alive...

Apr 19 17 05:10 am Link

Photographer

Frank Lewis Photography

Winter Park, Florida, US

Went to Lukas Nursery Butterfly Encounter today. Photographed a lot of Monarch butterflies and Finches.

Apr 19 17 10:07 am Link

Photographer

Koryo Photography

Tampa, Florida, US

Went to Lukas Nursery Butterfly Encounter today. Photographed a lot of Monarch butterflies and Finches.

Sounds pretty awesome..one of the little parks in St Pete has an area with plants that attract butterflies. Have done maternity shoots there, and have gotten lucky with the scenery.

Apr 23 17 12:21 am Link

Photographer

Frank Lewis Photography

Winter Park, Florida, US

Lotto drawing tonight. Feelin' kinda lucky...

May 03 17 07:20 am Link

Photographer

A Thousand Words

Lakeland, Florida, US

Lotto drawing tonight. Feelin' kinda lucky...

If you win, remember us poor folk. Papa needs a new Nikon.

May 04 17 08:26 pm Link

Photographer

Frank Lewis Photography

Winter Park, Florida, US

A Thousand Words  wrote:

If you win, remember us poor folk. Papa needs a new Nikon.

Matched three numbers! That will pay for two quick-pick lottos, one Mega-million, and one Powerball for Saturday.

https://img.clipartfest.com/377f9fd306471ac47fcf1a0c18e86c68_dollar-bill-stock-photos-five-dollar-bill-clipart_450-272.jpeg

May 05 17 06:21 pm Link

Photographer

A Thousand Words

Lakeland, Florida, US

Matched three numbers! That will pay for two quick-pick lottos, one Mega-million, and one Powerball for Saturday.

https://img.clipartfest.com/377f9fd306471ac47fcf1a0c18e86c68_dollar-bill-stock-photos-five-dollar-bill-clipart_450-272.jpeg

Guess my new Nikon has to wait.

May 06 17 05:47 am Link

Photographer

Koryo Photography

Tampa, Florida, US

Woo hoo! Hope you guys are enjoying this cold front passing through smile

May 09 17 10:28 pm Link

Photographer

Tears Of Joy

Orlando, Florida, US

there was a cold front?

May 10 17 11:26 am Link

Photographer

Koryo Photography

Tampa, Florida, US

Tears Of Joy wrote:
there was a cold front?

Well, yeah....77 qualifies right? smile

May 11 17 11:01 am Link

Photographer

sospix

Orlando, Florida, US

Koryo Photography wrote:

Well, yeah....77 qualifies right? smile

Sure, when it goes from 100 ta 77 it's almost frigid  .  .  .  wink

SOS

May 11 17 11:51 am Link

Model

Lisa Everhart

Sebring, Florida, US

sospix wrote:
Sure, when it goes from 100 ta 77 it's almost frigid  .  .  .  wink

SOS

I am wilting down here.

May 11 17 11:57 am Link

Photographer

A Thousand Words

Lakeland, Florida, US

So...

I just did High School graduation photos for my stepson's girlfriend.  I haven't done a lot of shooting lately but this has re-awakened the desire in me again.

We should have a mass shoot-out sometime. But have it closer to my house, cause I'm a little crybaby and I don't wanna drive that far. (LOL)

May 11 17 03:05 pm Link

Photographer

sospix

Orlando, Florida, US

Lisa Everhart wrote:

I am wilting down here.

Run nekid in the sprinkler Miss L  .  .  .  your neighbors will love it  .  .  .  I do it all the time  .  .  .  wink

SOS

May 12 17 07:29 am Link

Photographer

Frank Lewis Photography

Winter Park, Florida, US

sospix wrote:

Run nekid in the sprinkler Miss L  .  .  .  your neighbors will love it  .  .  .  I do it all the time  .  .  .  wink

SOS

https://img1.liveinternet.ru/images/attach/c/3/75/285/75285595_dogsvssprinklers04.jpg

May 13 17 06:42 am Link

Photographer

Koryo Photography

Tampa, Florida, US

Ya look pretty springy, even with all those metal parts in ya wink

May 15 17 12:44 am Link

Photographer

Frank Lewis Photography

Winter Park, Florida, US

Koryo Photography wrote:

Rust and corrosion are problems though...

May 15 17 01:04 pm Link

Photographer

sospix

Orlando, Florida, US

Koryo Photography wrote:

It's all done with smoke and mirrors  .  .  .  wink

SOS

May 15 17 02:46 pm Link

Photographer

Mike Collins

Orlando, Florida, US

I have absolutely no affiliation with this company but thought I would pass along the news that a new camera, lens and light rental facitity has just opened in south Orlando.  I have not been there yet but just trying to let anyone in the area or who may be coming to the area know if you need to rent gear.  Lord knows we need to support our industry whenever and wherever we can.

Hope it's successful.  Orlando isn't the biggest photo town but there is a lot going on.  And nice to be able to rent before buy.  Or continue to rent if need be. 

http://progearorlando.com

On Sandlake right between John Young and the Trail.

May 21 17 06:16 am Link

Photographer

Frank Lewis Photography

Winter Park, Florida, US

Mike Collins wrote:
I have absolutely no affiliation with this company but thought I would pass along the news that a new camera, lens and light rental facitity has just opened in south Orlando.  I have not been there yet but just trying to let anyone in the area or who may be coming to the area know if you need to rent gear.  Lord knows we need to support our industry whenever and wherever we can.

Hope it's successful.  Orlando isn't the biggest photo town but there is a lot going on.  And nice to be able to rent before buy.  Or continue to rent if need be. 

http://progearorlando.com

On Sandlake right between John Young and the Trail.

Good luck all you folks down south. For us out toward Winter Springs, Sandlake and John Young is kinda on another planet...

May 21 17 03:03 pm Link

Photographer

Frank Lewis Photography

Winter Park, Florida, US

I'm just so bored...

Jun 03 17 04:59 pm Link

Photographer

sospix

Orlando, Florida, US

I'm just so bored...

Wanna wash two VERY active puppies  .  .  .  wink

SOS

Jun 04 17 10:56 am Link

Photographer

sospix

Orlando, Florida, US

I think I may be caught in a "Catch 22" vortex  .  .  .  first I post a pick in my port from a recent shoot, and quickly get told I need to mark it as an "M" image  .  .  .  so, I do that, and then enter the image in the POD 18+ contest  .  .  .  I proceed to get notified that my model ain't nekid enough to be in that danged contest  .  .  .  and, on top o' that I git brigged for my entry  .  .  .  gggggeeeeeeeeeezzzzzzz, I'm changin' my name to Alan Arkin  .  .  .

https://moviestvnetwork.com/assets/movie/305/Catch22_Still_001.jpg

.  .  .  and stayin' in my tree  .  .  .  wink

SOS

Jun 04 17 11:05 am Link

Photographer

Frank Lewis Photography

Winter Park, Florida, US

That's Captain Yossarian, sir. I'm the bombardier...

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/jKcFyCn-SyE/hqdefault.jpg

Jun 05 17 10:41 am Link

Photographer

Charles Howse

Vero Beach, Florida, US

sospix wrote:

Ever worked with Colonial Photo and Hobby???  There's also a place in St. Pete, I'll see if I can get the contact info  .  .  .

SOS

The place in St Pete is ZebraColor dot com  Had some Portra developed there recently

Jun 13 17 07:10 pm Link

Photographer

Charles Howse

Vero Beach, Florida, US

Lots of crickets all around MM
After three days, the thread was not even half way down the OT list.

Jun 16 17 07:58 am Link

Photographer

Frank Lewis Photography

Winter Park, Florida, US

I'm actually doing a shoot today...

Jun 20 17 06:52 am Link