Forums > Off-Topic Discussion > Rest In Peace Andre Rowe

Photographer

Jason Bassett

Hollywood, Florida, US

With respects to his family and friends, details aren't going to be explained... but he passed away this week.

https://www.modelmayhem.com/423723

They are raising money for his funeral services, as well. If you knew him, or want to donate.

http://www.gofundme.com/7etg98 (*edit: looks like they raised the amount!)

Mar 10 14 10:49 am Link

Photographer

Leighsphotos

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Post hidden on Mar 11, 2014 07:31 am
Reason: gobbledegook
Comments:
No. Just no. Have some respect.

Mar 10 14 01:25 pm Link

Photographer

j3_photo

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Leighthenubian wrote:
Sorry to hear of his passing...a little miffed though, that  someone who doesn't do "TFP" and has been in the business for two decades needs people to fund his funeral.

You serious with this?  Wow.

Damn his work was great- RIP.

Mar 10 14 02:06 pm Link

Photographer

Fashion Beauty Photo

Lansing, Michigan, US

I read the news yesterday. Very sad. sad

Mar 10 14 02:29 pm Link

Photographer

Fashion Beauty Photo

Lansing, Michigan, US

I can't believe the negative comments have started this quickly. Let's please keep this thread on track out of respect for Andre and his loved ones, please.

Mar 10 14 02:31 pm Link

Photographer

Alien LiFe

San Jose, California, US

RIP

We lost another good photographer ...

Mar 10 14 02:44 pm Link

Photographer

Digital Kythe Image

Deerfield Beach, Florida, US

RIP Mr. Andre Rowe... I'm just in shock because I recently met him for the first time, just over a month ago. And all I have to say is how humble and generous he is as a photographer and person.

What I will never forget and maybe others can agree is:

On January 26th, I attend to his black and white one on one workshop in the afternoon. This is the moment I met him for the first time. We shook hands, greeted each other and his first comment was acknowledging the film camera I was using. He further asked questions about my photography background and my motives of shooting film. From there, I knew how he still enjoyed film photography because he made the connection by telling his stories about shooting with his bronica MF camera, etc. etc. It definitely put a smile on his face!

Well, mid-way of the workshop session, my Fuji GX6800ii decided to fall off the tripod (randomly snapped) and separated into pieces. The only thing that broke was the back film cassette which didn't allow me to continue to shoot. Andre knew I was devastated about the entire situation and knew I didn't have a backup camera for the workshop criteria. However, Andre went out of his way and handed me his D3s and 85mm 1.4 Zeiss so I can continue to shoot. Throughout the evening he kept mentioning not to worry about the situation and just enjoy the rest of the shoot.

I believe that moment and the few others moments that afternoon showed the type of person Andre was and his character. Without a doubt he put himself last and trusted a stranger, lending me his gear. I have to say that he was very knowledgeable with his profession, he was generous, and sincere. Without a doubt we were going to work on a film project in the future but sadly I heard the news earlier today.

I pray for his family and close friends.

DK

Mar 10 14 03:45 pm Link

Photographer

- HokusFokus -

Cincinnati, Ohio, US

Mar 10 14 03:53 pm Link

Photographer

Vector One Photography

Fort Lauderdale, Florida, US

Jason Bassett wrote:
With respects to his family and friends, details aren't going to be explained... but he passed away this week.

They are raising money for his funeral services, as well. If you knew him, or want to donate.

I knew Andre for many years, he was a very technical photographer and I believe self taught.  They are trying to collect $15,000.00 for the funeral and I they are up to $19,000.00.  I'm a little confused as I've paid for three funerals in the past few years and none exceeded $8,000.00.  I guess they are really sending him off in style.

Mar 10 14 04:59 pm Link

Photographer

Fashion Beauty Photo

Lansing, Michigan, US

He was across the country when he passed away, so I would imagine there are also additional expenses related to his trip and bringing him back to Florida for the funeral. I'm sure they can use any donations they can get to help cover the costs and give him the funeral he deserves.

Mar 10 14 06:32 pm Link

Photographer

Jason Bassett

Hollywood, Florida, US

The only focus should be on his life, talents included.

Again, rest in peace Andre! Didn't know you dude but you touched a lot of people I know personally, and I am sorry we never met.

Mar 10 14 06:35 pm Link

Photographer

Fashion Beauty Photo

Lansing, Michigan, US

Jason Bassett wrote:
The only focus should be on his life, talents included.

Again, rest in peace Andre! Didn't know you dude but you touched a lot of people I know personally, and I am sorry we never met.

+1

I never had the opportunity to meet Andre in person, but always thought very well of him. My warmest condolences to his family and loved ones. Rest in peace, Andre.

Mar 10 14 06:43 pm Link

Photographer

Kwabena Lumumba

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Andre Rowe was a great photographer, we'll miss you Brother!

Mar 11 14 07:11 am Link

Photographer

Cherrystone

Columbus, Ohio, US

RIP, soar with the eagles.

Mar 11 14 07:21 am Link

Photographer

Cherrystone

Columbus, Ohio, US

Leighthenubian wrote:
Sorry to hear of his passing...a little miffed though, that  someone who doesn't do "TFP" and has been in the business for two decades needs people to fund his funeral.

I've seen a LOT of tacky on MM, but I believe you won the prize. hmm

Mar 11 14 07:23 am Link

Photographer

Lachance Photography

Daytona Beach, Florida, US

Post hidden on Mar 11, 2014 07:39 am
Reason: gobbledegook
Comments:
No one asked you for a critique

Mar 11 14 07:28 am Link

Photographer

KungPaoChic

West Palm Beach, Florida, US

RIP

Never met him but admired his work and always heard good things about him

Mar 11 14 07:32 am Link

Photographer

Dean Johnson Photo

Minneapolis, Minnesota, US

Jason Bassett wrote:

We're very sorry to hear of this.

If/when you can find a link to an online obituary or news article, please post it here and we will then set his MM profile up in memory of him.

Mar 11 14 07:32 am Link

Photographer

KungPaoChic

Cherrystone wrote:

I've seen a LOT of tacky on MM, but I believe you won the prize. hmm

That's saying a lot

Mar 11 14 07:33 am Link

Photographer

FlirtynFun Photography

Houston, Texas, US

Lachance Photography wrote:
Met him once as he gave a workshop for my camera club in his studio. I hate to speak ill of the recently departed, but it was terrible.  He was overly technical to the point that  no one knew what he was talking about and he kept going off on tangents about equipment that had nothing to do with the subject of the workshop.

holy crap I hope to not have people like you eulogize me on MM.
RIP to the photographer

Mar 11 14 07:33 am Link

Photographer

Willie Morris

Seattle, Washington, US

Having shared studio / work space with Andre for a while, I can say that he was, without a doubt, one of the kindest and most decent people I've ever met. He never said anything bad about anyone and was always looking out for others. Very sad and shocked about his passing.

Mar 11 14 07:59 am Link

Photographer

KungPaoChic

please people can we please be respectful and kind.

This is a thread to pay your respects to a fellow photographer and a human being with family and friends that loved him and will miss him.

Mar 11 14 09:14 am Link

Photographer

John Fisher

Miami Beach, Florida, US

I only knew Andre professionally, but he was a respected photographer here in Miami. I have spoken with many models who enjoyed working with him. He will be missed.

John Fisher
--
John Fisher
900 West Avenue, Suite 633
Miami Beach, Florida 330139
(305) 534-9322
http://www.johnfisher.com

Mar 11 14 09:27 am Link

Photographer

ForeverFotos

Indianapolis, Indiana, US

My deepest condolences to his friends and family. RIP Mr. Rowe.

Mar 11 14 09:33 am Link

Photographer

Jason Bassett

Hollywood, Florida, US

John Fisher wrote:
I only knew Andre professionally, but he was a respected photographer here in Miami. I have spoken with many models who enjoyed working with him. He will be missed.

John Fisher
--
John Fisher
900 West Avenue, Suite 633
Miami Beach, Florida 330139
(305) 534-9322
http://www.johnfisher.com

Well-said, John! Thanks for spreading the love, which overshadows the poor character some show in this thread.

And to the admin above, I will surely PM you with someone who knew him dearly and may be able to get that.

Mar 11 14 02:55 pm Link

Model

CLAUDIA COSTA

Los Angeles, California, US

Viewing details for Andre are now posted online. Those wanting to pay their respects to this GREAT man can do so this Sat.
Andre Rowe was thee most amazing person, true friend & epic photographer.
PERIOD.
I haven't logged in, for a while. I was inclined to post that info is available for his viewing , for those who are here honoring him & his work.
Posting the specifics here doesn't seem right, since reading some disrespectful posts.
Out of respect for this site, forum & those that respect & honor who Andre was or those who honor & respect this industry or better yet honor & respect human beings in general ( yes this is a run on sentence...it happens), please keep any opinions in poor taste to yourself.

Andre was a true friend to many of us. He was my friend above being a photographer whom I worked with for almost a decade.
Please respect everyone who is grieving over the lose of someone we truly loved. Loved.

Thank you
Cc

Mar 11 14 11:05 pm Link

Photographer

ChadAlan

I didn't know him, but I know he and his contributions will be missed. My condolences. sad

Mar 12 14 02:09 am Link

Photographer

Matt Dunn

Miami, Florida, US

I never knew Andre but sadly now wish I had.  Many of the models I know knew him as well and thought the world of him.  Several truly loved him and that is a true testament to what kind of man was.  To say he was a wonderful photographer goes without saying when one views his work. 
I look forward to meeting you on the other side.

Mar 12 14 07:22 am Link

Model

Marina May

I really cannot believe the negative comments people post.
I knew him personally, and have nothing negative to say about him, but seriously people, he is gone, and to badmouth someone who passed away, that is just pure wrong.

to be clear, yes, his profile said " NO TF" and I truly think his work is worth paying for. He did not need to shoot any models for free for portfolio.
I was lucky enough to be welcomed to his workshops, and for marketing purposes, he shot me for free, and to this date I use those pictures to submit for potential work.
Everyone I went to his studio, I asked him to take my photos and he never said no even though he always had a lot of people at the studio and he was always bombarded with work. He Never charged me anything.
I was a model for his workshops so I did bring in some revenue for him, but I think he could have found anyone my level or above easily, so he did not have to shoot me for free to keep me as his marketing tool.
He was truly an amazing human being and that is the only reason why he would offer TF ( not technically TF, as he never used those photos for himself, nor do I think he would have benefited from those photos if he had included those in his port)
I am not an agency standard model, I am not 5'10 and 115 lbs. Many models whom I saw at his studio had waist half size as mine. Yet he always treated me with respect.

as for the comment " he has been in the industry for 2 decades,"  so he should have money? because of his generous personality, often times he opened his studio for free. to keep up with all the right tools I am sure he had to keep spending money, and I know he shot many models for free contrary to what his profile says. I think he put that because he did not want strangers to just contact him and ask for TF. but if he knew the models he always did them a favors. ( at least from what I have seen that is the impression I got)

as for $15k funeral expense, I am not sure, his funeral is this weekend, so I can't say if that is going to be a fancy funeral, but this funeral fund goal was set by a third party. It is not going to Andre for sure.

My biggest regret is that I did not thank him enough when he was alive. I told a lot of people how great of a person and a photographer he was, but I never really put in word how much I appreciated him.
This memorial service is going to be a closure for me, so I am canceling work to attend. For those who have worked with me, you know my work ethic, and I never flake or cancel on people. But this event is that important to me.

For those who made negative comments on him, I wish not to see you at the memorial service.

Mar 12 14 08:28 pm Link

Photographer

howard r

wow - some people must have missed class the day they discussed basic human sensitivity.

rest in peace mr. rowe

Mar 12 14 08:52 pm Link

Photographer

SPV Photo

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

How do we know his death isn't a publicity stunt?

Just kidding. I wanted to see if I could be the biggest a-hole in the thread.

Rest in Peace.

Mar 12 14 08:59 pm Link

Model

Marina May

I really hoped that this whole Andre passing away news was a joke that someone was playing!
now with his funeral coming up it just feels more real and real

Mar 12 14 09:08 pm Link

Photographer

Rossmore

San Francisco, California, US

I first met Andre at one of his workshops.
I am shocked to hear of his passing.
He was such a nice guy and generous in person.
Thanks for all your great info/talent Andre you will be missed
on this planet.

Apr 06 14 01:04 am Link

Photographer

Philipe

Pomona, California, US

Leighthenubian wrote:

Dude have some class..
I can't believe your bitter over someone who is dead..
(Maybe if he did not charge he would not be able to support him self. Also you don't know his situation. Obviously not a good one....... He's dead)

Apr 06 14 02:01 am Link

Photographer

Laubenheimer

New York, New York, US

Philipe wrote:

Dude have some class..
I can't believe your bitter over someone who is dead..
(Maybe if he did not charge he would not be able to support him self. Also you don't know his situation. Obviously not a good one....... He's dead)

how were you able to quote a post hidden by the mods? hmm

Apr 06 14 11:24 am Link

Photographer

Solas

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

L A U B E N H E I M E R wrote:

how were you able to quote a post hidden by the mods? hmm

see 3rd post

Apr 06 14 11:38 am Link