Forums > Critique > Serious Critique > New to MM and a beginner Model

Model

TiffanySmith

Saint Petersburg, Florida, US

Hi,
Will some experienced photographers and models please critique my Profile.
Please be brutally honest and do not sugar coat it.
Modeling is a dream of mine and this is my first time doing an actually portfolio/Profile and i would like it to be good.
I appreciate all comments.

Thank you,
Tiffany

Apr 15 18 09:05 am Link

Photographer

bfrankphoto

s-Gravenhage, Zuid-Holland, Netherlands

A lot of your stuff looks pretty nice for a beginning model. My first impression, though, is that all the images with the skateboards/scooters should go-it's poor photography (Harsh mid-day lighting, poor framing, odd angles, etc.), and you should never do duck lips in any modeling. That's with a quick glance. I'm sure others will give more in-depth feedback.

Apr 16 18 01:40 am Link

Model

MatureModelMM

Detroit, Michigan, US

You'd do well to find a local photographer or two with really good work, and pay or trade for a couple of sessions to get quality photos in additional categories to replace what you are currently showing. None of them do you justice with the exception of your avatar, but they are typical of what beginners start out with and will have to do until you get new shots. It's very important to include examples of all the genres that you want to work in, since you have listed erotic, lingerie, pinup, and swimwear you need to show at least one or two photos in each of those categories.

That advice about working with a very experienced photographer is often given to beginners since people who might want to hire you are going to judge you by the work you are showing. Most of what you have now look more like casual snapshots which will make them quickly say "Next" unless they see something interesting enough to get their attention.

You are quite attractive and have a really nice figure, so it's likely that you can make modelling a fun hobby that will also give you some new opportunities. You are not too old to start, and you are correct about being photogenic.

The best shot and only one worth keeping in my opinion is this one below, however Model Mayhem requires you to always have at least 4 photos of yourself visible at all times. You look absolutely beautiful in this shot, which should make photographers want to see more.

https://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/180409/08/5acb862838305.jpg

Apr 16 18 06:36 am Link

Photographer

Bartcephus

Mount Pleasant, Texas, US

Your portfolio is below average for your capabilities.  I too suggest you get with photographers that understand lighting and flattering the model.  Most of your port contains snapshots, which can be fun to make, but don't sell you.  I, like Gatekeeper, think the B&W Portrait is your best photo in your port.

Most of the clothing and poses don't do you justice.  Some of your expressions look a little forced.  Drop the duckie lips and finger gestures. 

Best Regards,

b

Dec 07 18 03:44 am Link

Photographer

Photo Art by LJ

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

The others who have responded are leading you in the right direction.

Dec 22 18 10:14 pm Link

Photographer

Barely StL

Saint Louis, Missouri, US

When I critique a portfolio, I try to separate the contributions to the photo that were made by various people (especially the photographer and the model).

Having looked at ever photo in your portfolio at least once, I have to say that your contribution was at a higher level than the photographers’.

Not that you’re perfect. But you should try to work with better photographers (preferably some who can teach you things while they’re shooting).

I’ll start with your contribution.

Some of your expressions are okay, and a few of them are good. Even so, in terms of expressions, you’re way ahead of most newbie models. However, there’s lots of room for improvement, and there isn’t much variety in your expressions.

Most brand new models have three expressions. 1) Blank expression. 2) Deer in the headlights. 3) Frown. You have some of each, but you have another expression or two as well.

Newbie models tend to think so much about the pose that they forget about the expression – and it shows in their expressions.

In fact, most models don’t begin to think about expressions until they get comfortable enough with posing that they can almost pose on autopilot.

Some never do. I know one model who has been modeling for about 10 years and is represented by three agencies. Her posing is top notch, but most of her photos have the same expression.

When I go through the photos after a shoot, more of them get rejected because of bad expressions than bad poses. (I can have the model correct mistakes in poses, but sometimes they can’t give me the expression I want.)

Fashion, fashion catalogs, glamour, glamour nudes, pinups and artistic nudes each have their own different styles of posing AND expressing. You need to learn the styles of each genre that you’re interested in. Be patient. It will take time (and direction).

Generally, a photo (other than a catalog photo) should tell a story and/or create a mood. In some cases, catalog photos should too.

If the photographer doesn’t tell you what look he’s going for, pick one, based on where you’re shooting, the wardrobe, the lighting, the background, etc., and pose and express accordingly.

In some cases, for example, a blank gaze into the distance isn’t a bad pose for artistic nudes (although it’s certainly not the only one). For most other genres, it’s boring and anathema.

A smile (other than a very slight smile) might be good for a lifestyle shot or an ad with a party atmosphere. But it won’t work for most genres. For catalog work, a slight smile works fine. Same for celebrities, who often smile for photos to give them a more “human” look.

This is about as much of a smile as you want in most genres.

https://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/180415/08/5ad37096b9f57.jpg

Imo, although it’s almost a frown, this is your best expression – to go with the mood created by the type of shot (low-key portrait).

https://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/180409/08/5acb862838305.jpg

These are among your worst expressions:

https://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/180415/08/5ad37105dd9a8.jpg

https://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/180411/07/5ace1f1ebfa00.jpg

While there are different STYLES of posing for different genres, the PRINCIPLES of posing are pretty much the same.

In some of your close-up shots, the poses are pretty good. In some of the longer-length shots, the poses are pretty bad.

Open leg posing is okay in erotic photography. However, in most other styles (even if you’re clothed), it doesn’t seem to fit.

https://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/180414/09/5ad22bdce3afc.jpg

Also, you need to learn to pose in a way that uses your curves to your advantage, not like this:

https://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/180411/07/5ace1f1ebfa00.jpg

One way you can do that are to have your body turned at an angle to the camera (even if your head is turned toward the camera), to lean SLIGHTLY toward the camera (to maximize your face and upper body and minimize everything from the waist down).

Things that are closer to the camera look larger. Things that are farther from the camera look smaller.

Another way is to pop your hips out to one side. Another is to keep your arms away from the body.

Turning your body slightly and having space between your body and your arms has a slimming effect and might take 20-30 pounds off your weight. Having your arms straight down against your sides, while turned flat on to the camera, can add as much as 30 pounds.

Also, I’d study photos of professional models to see how they use their hands. (Think ballet hands.)

I’ll give you some references material on posing below.

Experienced models rarely show more than one photo from the same “set” in their portfolios (unless they are VERY different, like a full-length photo and a headshot) – and NEVER black-and-white and color versions of the same photo. Pick one or the other!

With the exception of artistic nudes, when I do a portfolio shoot with a model, time permitting, I’ll generally do 3-6 sets. Each set has different wardrobe, a different background or location, different lighting, and ideally different makeup and hair.

The idea is to obscure the fact that the model might have 3-6 photos from the same shoot in her portfolio.

With artistic nudes shot in studio, a plain, solid color (especially black or white) background is pretty standard. I try to mix up the lighting during a shoot, and since there is no wardrobe, it usually isn’t obvious that the model has multiple photos from the same shoot.

As for the photographers’ contributions, their mistakes stand out more than yours. Here are some of them:

Shooting down at the model minimizes the model, shows the top of the head (which is not most models’ most attractive feature), and introduces perspective distortion, often making the model look top heavy (huge head, tiny feet, for example). It can also cause distortion of the model’s face.

Distortion of any kind rarely works to a model’s advantage.

https://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/180414/09/5ad22a564e834.jpg

While there is some distortion in the photos, at least it’s subtle, not extreme – and not totally obvious.

I try to have my camera as close to level (perpendicular to the floor or the ground) as possible to minimize distortion. Another way to minimize distortion is to increase the distance between the model and the camera, even if that means using a longer lens.

For a headshot, I’m rarely closer than 6 feet from the model. For a full-length shot, more like 10 feet or more (and sometimes as far as 20 feet, especially if I’m sitting on the floor or ground to make the model appear taller).

When I’m shooting a model, my camera is almost never more than an inch or two higher than the model’s eye level (unless I’m on a tall step ladder, the model is laying on her back, and I’m shooting straight down).

Usually, it’s no higher than the model’s eye level and often lower.

That makes the model look taller. Anyone viewing the photo is looking at the model from her eye level or below, which means that (subconsciously) the model is perceived as being as tall or taller than the viewer.

Sometimes, a model asks me to emphasize her boobs. If she’s clothed, that means the camera will be somewhere in between her eyes and her boobs. If she’s nude, it might be as low as the top of her boobs.

The less tight the shot, the lower my camera will be – but almost never quite as low as her waist level (unless I’m about 20 feet from the model).

The backgrounds in many of your photos are atrocious – and very distracting.

https://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/180414/09/5ad22bb533a92.jpg

You’re in shade, but the background is in direct sunlight. The eye is drawn to the brightest area (in terms of lighting) of the photo (the concrete behind you), the brightest color (in some of your photos, that’s the trees) and/or the contrasty area of the photo.

In many of your photos, the viewer’s eyes are drawn away from you, when they should be drawn TO you.

That can be accomplished in several ways, including having the light on your face brighter than the light on the background (by using a background that’s in shade, for example), throwing the background way out of focus, or even using a telephoto lens and selecting a slice of background that’s unobtrusive.

Here are my recommendations to you:

1) Get rid of the worst photos in your portfolio. Four good photos is better than 50 bad ones.

2) Work with better photographers and learn from them. This isn’t a knock on your photographers. Everyone has to start somewhere. Presumably they’ll get better, but atm, imo, you’re better than they are.

3) Study photos in magazines or in stellar portfolios (poses and expressions) in the genres that you’re most interested in.

4) Learn the principles of posing. (See below.)

5) Learn the angles (to the camera) and the types of poses that work best for you, your face and your body. Every model is different.

6) Keep doing shoots where you can apply everything you’ve learned until it’s second nature – and keep upgrading your portfolio.

7) Check out Mary Duprie’s posing videos.

Mary is a former model, now a photographer in Michigan. She has produced three DVDs (two for models, one for photographers) on posing. (I loaned mine to a model several years ago and never got them back. I don’t even recall who the model was.)

She is an expert on posing. I’ve never met her, but I know models and photographers who have worked with her.

Many agencies in Michigan and surrounding states send their new recruits to Mary for their first shoot, because she can teach them things that most agencies aren’t equipped to teach.

While these videos are not from her DVDs, they teach the same principles – and they’re free to watch.

http://photographingmodels.com/modeling … owtovideo/

There are several videos. I would watch them in order. Depending on the version of your operating system and your web browser, you might not be able to see the photos. (Just click on the links.)

If your browser is up-to-date, you should be able to see everything including the photos on the page that I’m linking you to.

After watching several of the videos, you may have to open an account with Vimeo. It’s free as well.

8) Learn “the squinch” from Peter Hurley, who is considered by many to be the world’s best headshot photographer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ff7nltdBCHs

The squinch is the opposite of the deer-in-the-headlights look. It shows confidence, and you can use it in just about any genre (with the exception of artistic nudes, and even in that genre in some cases). Just don’t overdo it.

9) Practice everything in front of a mirror.

You can also go to the MM model mentor’s list and see if there’s someone in your area who can help you. (Under a different MM account, I’m the mentor from Missouri.)

Or, if you have questions, you can PM me. (You can also add to your thread, but I might not see it.)

One model whose posing, expressions and use of hands that you might study is the model who is my avatar in this account and in one of my other accounts:

https://www.modelmayhem.com/Camerosity

She had been modeling about two years when my did my first shoot (of about 17 so far) in 2011. Even then, she was head and shoulders above most other MM models I’ve worked with. I’ve never worked with a model who uses more expressions in a shoot.

There are a lot more photos of her in my Camerosity portfolio.

A few years ago, I wrote a long email about posing for a photographer in Australia who contacted me and asked for a critique. It has information for both the photographer’s and model’s perspective. If you want, I can send it to you.

Jan 08 19 08:22 pm Link

Photographer

Krpphoto

Cape Coral, Florida, US

TiffanySmith wrote:
Hi,
Will some experienced photographers and models please critique my Profile.
Please be brutally honest and do not sugar coat it.
Modeling is a dream of mine and this is my first time doing an actually portfolio/Profile and i would like it to be good.
I appreciate all comments.

Thank you,
Tiffany

May 25 19 01:38 pm Link

Photographer

Krpphoto

Cape Coral, Florida, US

Well Tiffany Smith. I love the one where the model (you?) is wearing black and the background is black too. The face - half obstructed with your  hair , adds a sense of mystery , and of course the long hair  itself looks feminine. The overall darkness of the image adds sizzle to the shot. The openness of the outfit- exposing your breast is very provocative and teases the viewers eyes without exposing too much. I think the facial expression and body placement looks nice as well. I think this is the best shot. I'd love to shoot with you. The one of you with a little bit of a lime green outfit where your looking slightly up--- well The  limbs could be positioned better. I would probably have the face pointing a bit differently too.

May 25 19 01:45 pm Link