Forums > General Industry > MM is kinda dead?

Photographer

Weldphoto

Charleston, South Carolina, US

A long and weary thread in which MM is diagnosed as nearly dead, its forum members rude, insensitive, troll-like, bitter, its models as unresponsive and unavailable.  A sad story indeed.

And so much offered from users who don’t pay a cent for the site but moan and groan about what is wrong with it. I find that odd. Most often members who pay dues have the right to vote, complain, and enjoy the fruits of membership. Seems here that is not the case.  The old adage of “Pay up or shut-up” does not apply here.

As for MM - do you ever listen to your members? Do you care?  It’s said you are only in it to make money. Fair enough, but then admit it and tell us all to go to hell and like it or leave it.

MM do you hear we don’t like the new message system? It’s not in our (the member’s) best interest. I have been a paid member since the beginning - way back when you ate up One Model Place. Yet a new member, a starting model can’t message me without sending a stupid Friend Request? That is absurd.

MM - what are you doing as a company to promote yourself? I live in a small city with two colleges. Do you do anything to spread the word that MM exists to all the students?  I doubt it. I think it would help if you tried to gain exposure and we who are interested in photographing models would enjoy the new offerings. I haven’s seen a new model in Charleston is a long time. Who knows MM exists?

The problem is on both sides, I realize. But what I hear in the forum is the photographer’s side is trying to make it work.  I hear nothing from the MM side. An odd way to run a business.

Sep 17 18 04:00 pm Link

Photographer

Black Z Eddie

San Jacinto, California, US

Shades Of Brown wrote:
MM needs an APP if they want to attract "NEW" models, which is the life blood of the industry...  Period. End of story.

Docta Shock Fotografix wrote:
Totally agree!

"Build it, and they will come."

Sep 17 18 05:02 pm Link

Admin

Model Mayhem Edu

Los Angeles, California, US

Weldphoto wrote:
Yet a new member, a starting model can’t message me without sending a stupid Friend Request? That is absurd.

That's incorrect. All new members start with a 30-day free trial of VIP membership, which comes with unlimited messages and all the other VIP benefits.

Sep 17 18 05:08 pm Link

Photographer

Ivan123

Arlington, Virginia, US

Just two points that I am estimating exactly no one is interested in:

(1)  Regarding apps:  I use a camera that takes approximately a zillion pixels, I process on a 27" iMac, send the pics to someone and they write back "Great!  Love the pictures!" and at the bottom it says "Sent from my iPhone" that is, a 4-6" screen.  So, why bother with worrying about details, like, say, having things in focus, if people are going to look at the pictures on a tiny screen while sitting at a bar?   When someone says they want an app, they are saying that photography should be viewed on cellphones.  I guess it has come to that.

(2) Much is made of how the boards are dead.  I have been on MM for over a decade, have hired scores of models off MM and I have never seen a single one of them on the message boards.  I know several models who work at modeling full time, it is their job, and they are NEVER on the boards.  My guess is that 1% of MM people use the boards.  It is true, in the early days, the boards were hilarious and fun.  Now, not so much;   the boards are boring (yes, it IS a scam).  But so what?  MM may have problems but the boards are not a good measure.  I am not interested in "networking," I want to take pictures.

Sep 17 18 07:31 pm Link

Photographer

KungPaoChic

West Palm Beach, Florida, US

Orca Bay Images wrote:
It's not dead, but it's coughing up blood.

LO effin L.

I logged on today just to see what's up. IMO this place just ceased to be fun and uneven or over moderation depending on who you are killed the forums.  I stopped posting when all the fun got sucked out of the forums. Not that I matter at all anyways but I know others that feel the same.

But when I was laid up in the hospital for months and then at home after a botched surgery the forums were great entertainment,  so thanks MM for that.

I miss the old MM but I guess everything changes and I get a lot more work done. big_smile

Sep 17 18 08:18 pm Link

Model

Figures Jen B

Phoenix, Arizona, US

Deadra Daye wrote:
Maybe it’s just me, but I swear back in like 2012-2016 I feel like the site was more busy. I have been offline for about a year or two, so I know part of what I’m seeing is from that. I haven’t been on consistently since you were only able to upload 15 photos without upgrading.

But even on forums, the shout box....people seem to be less active. Could it be instagram?

I know some people say becoming VIP gets you more exposure. I was VIP once and I guess I agree. But at the same time I feel like wether you’re VIP or not, you can run into gems on MM either way, it’s all about the search...and the universe wink

Thoughts?

I think its the management and moderators.

Sep 17 18 09:57 pm Link

Photographer

Shades Of Brown

Glenn Dale, Maryland, US

Ivan123 wrote:
Just two points that I am estimating exactly no one is interested in:

(2) Much is made of how the boards are dead.  I have been on MM for over a decade, have hired scores of models off MM and I have never seen a single one of them on the message boards.  I know several models who work at modeling full time, it is their job, and they are NEVER on the boards.  My guess is that 1% of MM people use the boards.  It is true, in the early days, the boards were hilarious and fun.  Now, not so much;   the boards are boring (yes, it IS a scam).  But so what?  MM may have problems but the boards are not a good measure.  I am not interested in "networking," I want to take pictures.

When I say MM is dead I personally am not talking about the message board. I could care less about that. I am judging by the number of new models when I use the browse function TODAY vs 10 years ago.

Sep 18 18 08:39 am Link

Photographer

Vistolia Photography

London, England, United Kingdom

Yes, there is a noticeable exodus happening away from MM and to Social Media.

Especially Instagram and Facebook Groups, which have taken over the function of sourcing models in one's local area.

Those platforms are also a lot more robust, well known, modern and offer mobile apps.

This website is antiquated and simplistic, and simply cannot compete with the likes of social media Goliaths.

Sep 18 18 09:53 am Link

Photographer

WIP

Cheltenham, England, United Kingdom

Some amazing photographers/Mua/retouchers and models on MM...it's upto admin to make it work.

Sep 20 18 07:59 am Link

Photographer

DollhouseDiamondscom

Memphis, Tennessee, US

i think mm needs to work on mobile first features as most people are not using a desktop any more and should focus on highlighting gigs or a way to process payments between creatives.  mm should team up with contest like the one maxim is having for there cover search that would draw in serious models.

Sep 26 18 11:14 pm Link

Photographer

IMAGINERIES

New York, New York, US

Oh! well...They have over a million active subscribers!!.....Some have passed away.....Some female models got married, have children  maybe have grand children and have not model in years. Photographers and models are using other medias...
But membership keeps on growing and the most popular forum, by far, is music related..
So MM is going to be with us a long long time....

Oct 04 18 09:16 am Link

Photographer

Deep Visions

Oceanside, California, US

Model Mayhem Edu wrote:

That's incorrect. All new members start with a 30-day free trial of VIP membership, which comes with unlimited messages and all the other VIP benefits.

And AFTER the 30 day trial? Thus Weldphoto is correct

Oct 07 18 04:28 pm Link

Photographer

Docta Shock Fotografix

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, US

Shades Of Brown wrote:
I could care less about that. I am judging by the number of new models when I use the browse function TODAY vs 10 years ago.

This!

Oct 15 18 09:44 am Link

Photographer

Eye of the World

Corvallis, Oregon, US

IMAGINERIES wrote:
Oh! well...They have over a million active subscribers!!.....Some have passed away.....Some female models got married, have children  maybe have grand children and have not model in years. Photographers and models are using other medias...
But membership keeps on growing and the most popular forum, by far, is music related..
So MM is going to be with us a long long time....

It is only growing because inactive and retired members are never purged. Sort of like the Hotel California.

Oct 15 18 01:41 pm Link

Photographer

Brooklyn Bridge Images

Brooklyn, New York, US

Shades Of Brown wrote:
When I say MM is dead I personally am not talking about the message board. I could care less about that. I am judging by the number of new models when I use the browse function TODAY vs 10 years ago.

+100
Hell even 5-6 years ago

Oct 15 18 01:51 pm Link

Photographer

Camera Buff

Maryborough, Queensland, Australia

When I first started taking pictures, I would use magazines and books as my main sources of inspiration and knowledge.

Today I use Model Mayhem, which IMO is like the proverbial box of chocolates to a kid in a candy store.

I'm now able to view what the actual photographer, model, MUA and other creatives want people to see. Not necessarily what an Editor selects, or a Censor allows.

Model Mayhem provides a marvellous platform where creatives can show anyone from the person next door to the world next door the images that they’ve helped to create.

Nov 20 18 09:20 am Link

Photographer

Dan Lee Photo

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia

MM is certainly quite dead here where I am, which used to be very active years ago. I was shocked.

My profile wouldn't be checked out often, but posting photos back in the day would get a few hundred views, now I can count it on one hand.

As for moaning and not paying for it? That is a bad joke. What we or I want to get out of MM is to network with models, MUAs etc and arrange shoots.

Why would I want to pay for additional site features? That's not going to magically make more active members for me to work with.

It's not site features I want, it's other members.

If it is that inactive (which it is where I am) that I can no longer even make use of the basic features then there is no point.

I used to have a VIP membership years ago, but it is absolutely pointless now.

It's not just MM its most of the rest of the internet outside of main social media.

Nov 20 18 05:13 pm Link

Photographer

Dario Western

Brisbane, Queensland, Australia

Instagram is alright, but it needs to stop censoring nudity.  MySpace is still going, but it's become a celeb-goss site now.  OMP I hardly bother with anymore, and what about Net-Model?

Nov 28 18 05:26 pm Link

Model

Dina Ova

Arlington, Virginia, US

I didn't find facebook useful I don't have an Instagram account.i use this site

Nov 28 18 06:13 pm Link

Photographer

Shades Of Brown

Glenn Dale, Maryland, US

Dan Lee Photo wrote:
MM is certainly quite dead here where I am, which used to be very active years ago. I was shocked.

My profile wouldn't be checked out often, but posting photos back in the day would get a few hundred views, now I can count it on one hand.

As for moaning and not paying for it? That is a bad joke. What we or I want to get out of MM is to network with models, MUAs etc and arrange shoots.

Why would I want to pay for additional site features? That's not going to magically make more active members for me to work with.

It's not site features I want, it's other members.

If it is that inactive (which it is where I am) that I can no longer even make use of the basic features then there is no point.

I used to have a VIP membership years ago, but it is absolutely pointless now.

It's not just MM its most of the rest of the internet outside of main social media.

Ditto everything you said...

Nov 30 18 07:05 am Link

Photographer

Sablesword

Gurnee, Illinois, US

Weldphoto wrote:
Yet a new member, a starting model can’t message me without sending a stupid Friend Request? That is absurd.

Model Mayhem Edu wrote:

After those 30 days, the model is still pretty new - and can no longer send those out-of-network messages.

There's also the small problem of the model not being able to receive messages from us lowly Basic members without dancing through a stupid Friend Request - not even during that 30 day free VIP trial.

Nov 30 18 07:32 am Link

Photographer

Joe Tomasone

Spring Hill, Florida, US

Abbitt Photography wrote:
I know many photographers who left in response to biased forum moderation and policies.  I know of others who have been banned, with no evidence they violated any MM policy.

As a mod since almost day one, I can definitely tell you that no member gets banned for "no reason".   There is a policy and procedure behind account removals with checks and balances to help ensure that banned members earned their bans.  For example, if I am made aware that a member has violated the "no adult content" rule, I cannot remove that account myself.  I must make my case and present the account for removal, which is then carried out by one of a small subset of the mod/admin team after discussion or debate as required.

Usually when a member is banned "for no reason", it really is a case of evidence that we don't want to disclose to the member because of potential blowback on the parties that reported whatever the issue(s) were.   There were cases in the past of photographers propositioning models for sex, eventually being banned, and going after the last model that they propositioned, assuming that the model was the one responsible.    Obviously, there's a fine line to walk between removing bad actors and member safety - and therefore there is a stringent privacy policy in place with respect to removals.

In all cases where a member has been removed, there are a number of options and procedures to review the removal and decide if it should be overturned.   But 99.9% of the time, a ban will not be overturned simply because if we ban someone, it's for legitimate cause.

Now as far as forums and image moderation goes, that's more subjective and a lot more gray area can exist.   Did member X really mean to insult member Y, or was it just joking?   Is that areola in that image, or a shadow?   Now run through every possible situation like those, and you'll get a sense of what it's like to be a mod.

Dec 01 18 08:53 am Link

Photographer

Legacys 7

San Francisco, California, US

When MM took away the debate forums, that pretty much killed the traffic.

Dec 16 18 06:06 pm Link

Photographer

StephaneBattesti

Saint-Louis, Alsace, France

Bob Helm Photography wrote:

IG is great for posting a large number of photos. Just wish it was easier to use with a computer. Perhaps we need a new platform?

Hello fellow photographers,
I am quite new to MM, only register some months ago (so there is still new member registering wink ).
I have been making pictures for 25+ years (mainly landscape and street) and only change to model photography less than a year ago.
There is basically no model available in my area so I find the travel notice functionality on MM really useful to connect with models when there are travelling not too far away from me.
I do like also the credits functionality and use it everytime I shoot with a model.
I am using also an other platform (model-kartei) which is widely use in Europe and have also great functionalities.
I am using also IG but not to find model, mainly to keep in touch with the model I worked with and share a piece of my portfolio. For me there is 2 main issues with IG: the pictures quality and the "fake" account. There are not really fake account, but most of these 10k+ account are managed by external company on behalf of the account owner, so following, unfollowing, liking and commenting are not done by the account owner. So you are never talking to the real account owner. This is just a race to who will get the most followers...

As Bob said we could do with a new app/platform by merging the best functionalities of MM and IG: an IG for the modeling industry wink

Dec 17 18 01:17 am Link

Photographer

Terry M Day Jr

Gwinner, North Dakota, US

I've noticed the same thing.  I left California in 2010 and models are non-existent in any area I've been at in the last 9 years.   I'm sorry, but I'm not paying $100 a hour just to do a glamour shoot with a 5 foot, 160lb model who has 2 pictures in her portfolio and "some experience"

All the models think they should be paid now days when they aren't traditional model material.

I think that is what is killing MM.  Everyone wants money and no one just does it for the enjoyment the way they used to 10 years ago.

Jan 03 19 08:40 pm Link

Photographer

Todd Meredith

Fayetteville, North Carolina, US

Terry M Day Jr wrote:
I've noticed the same thing.  I left California in 2010 and models are non-existent in any area I've been at in the last 9 years.   I'm sorry, but I'm not paying $100 a hour just to do a glamour shoot with a 5 foot, 160lb model who has 2 pictures in her portfolio and "some experience"

5 foot, 169 lbs?  I can only picture that model being just about square. 

I thought that being in WVA, the biggest concern would be if she brought the family set of teeth and her brother/uncle/husband, cousin (an all in one package there!) with her to the shoot.

Just kidding!

Jan 04 19 01:14 pm Link

Photographer

Terry M Day Jr

Todd Meredith wrote:

5 foot, 169 lbs?  I can only picture that model being just about square. 

I thought that being in WVA, the biggest concern would be if she brought the family set of teeth and her brother/uncle/husband, cousin (an all in one package there!) with her to the shoot.

Just kidding!

I'm a supervisor on a pipeline project here.  I'm not from here.  If you browse active MM members in WV, there are very few and they all want to be paid.  Pittsburgh (2 hours north of me) is even a bit limited.  I miss the hell out of California where there were so many models to chose from.  I got EXTREMELY lucky once and got a TF with a professional model who needed to update her portfolio and even 10 years later, those shots are in her portfolio on MM and she's active.

Jan 04 19 01:20 pm Link

Photographer

Chuckarelei

Seattle, Washington, US

Dead.

But is there a 'rise from the dead', or 'return of the living dead'?

or it's dead in the water?

Jan 04 19 02:08 pm Link

Artist/Painter

Hunter GWPB

King of Prussia, Pennsylvania, US

Terry M Day Jr wrote:
I'm a supervisor on a pipeline project here.  I'm not from here.  If you browse active MM members in WV, there are very few and they all want to be paid.  Pittsburgh (2 hours north of me) is even a bit limited.  I miss the hell out of California where there were so many models to chose from.  I got EXTREMELY lucky once and got a TF with a professional model who needed to update her portfolio and even 10 years later, those shots are in her portfolio on MM and she's active.

I worked on a pipeline project in the NE part of the state some decades ago.  I never had any trouble finding intelligent and pretty women in West Virginia.  I drove through a year and half ago and it was still true at the couple of stops I made. 

They may not be listed on MM or other sites as models, because it is probably no more productive for them to be on MM than it is for photographers.  Plus they have to deal with stereotypes from creepy people that think they are being funny as they berate people from less robust economies, even though there are great colleges and universities in the state.  I wasn't doing model photography back then.  Wildlife and landscapes and West Virginia is a beautiful place. I was pulling off the road on that last trip because sometimes West Virginia is breath taking. There are also lots of photo opportunities along the C&O and the AT Trail above Harper's Ferry.

I certainly didn't have any trouble finding dates in town and at the restaurants when I worked there.  Since I could go into the same places over time, we got to know each other so I didn't have to do hard sells.  And I wasn't hard on the eyes.   

If you read through some of the forums, you will find a number of people who advise carrying business cards with you and handing them out.  Person to person marketing.  I understand you are probably in the field, most days, sun to sun and then some.  Work with what you have.  The big cities are going to have many more models than anywhere where the economy isn't good enough to hold the young people home after high school and college.

Jan 04 19 03:36 pm Link

Photographer

NG Photos

Cleveland, Ohio, US

The forums were the only reason why I came here over the years.  It was a daily comedy special seeing newbs get crushed for their demands.  If I did not check the forum for a day I had a ton of posts/threads to read.

These days, I can check every couple weeks to a month and not see anything.  In that aspect, its completely dead.  I miss those old days.

It is cute seeing those older people still cling on and defend the site.  Like some people with technology, they just refuse to adapt and point their finger everywhere else but at themselves.

It's dead.

Jan 04 19 05:42 pm Link

Photographer

johnlp

London, England, United Kingdom

A comment from "Across the pond".  When I started model photography seriously 15 or so years ago I would get 35+ replies to castings, on another site.  Even when that site went into freefall because a new and brighter one started up I was still getting this many replies on the new site.  I joined MM at about the same time and got a handful of responses.  Now I'm lucky to get 2 or 3.  But the biggest problem is reliability of models.  On the other sites, where feedback cannot be blocked by the models, I would get approximately a 25% cancellation rate, with the Winter months being the worse.  My record on MM this year, for models with whom I'm attempting to work with for the first time, is closer to 66%.  I've met a couple of top draw models on this site and have made multiple bookings with them, but too many do not honour an agreement to shoot.

If IG is the way to go then perhaps I'll give it a go.

Jan 05 19 08:20 am Link

Photographer

Terry M Day Jr

Hunter  GWPB wrote:
Plus they have to deal with stereotypes from creepy people that think they are being funny as they berate people from less robust economies, even though there are great colleges and universities in the state.

I agree.  In an area like this, where everyone knows everyone, there can be social impacts to modeling, especially nude modeling.

I do Drone photography too.  You are right, WV is a beautiful state and I was shocked that the WV stereotype was so wrong.  There are a LOT of very good, intelligent people here.  As far as I've heard, the only place West Virginians make fun of is Boone County.  I guess that is where all the stereotypes come from.  But I'm in the north part of the state working on a project in the Salem, WV area not far from Clarksburg.  I was in Elkins prior to here.

Jan 07 19 09:21 pm Link

Artist/Painter

Hunter GWPB

King of Prussia, Pennsylvania, US

Terry M Day Jr wrote:

I agree.  In an area like this, where everyone knows everyone, there can be social impacts to modeling, especially nude modeling.

I do Drone photography too.  You are right, WV is a beautiful state and I was shocked that the WV stereotype was so wrong.  There are a LOT of very good, intelligent people here.  As far as I've heard, the only place West Virginians make fun of is Boone County.  I guess that is where all the stereotypes come from.  But I'm in the north part of the state working on a project in the Salem, WV area not far from Clarksburg.  I was in Elkins prior to here.

I know a model in West Virginia who is brilliant and beautiful.  I'll send her a link to you.

Jan 08 19 07:17 am Link

Model

Taylor Kate f

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia

Let’s pump 🆙 the partyyyyy 🚀🌟🎉🎉
@itskatetaylor 🎀💕

Jan 08 19 06:01 pm Link

Photographer

Green Wave Photo 312

Chicago, Illinois, US

Select Models wrote:

You hit the nail on the head there.  Instagram is now the #1 powerhouse of social media for photographers and models.  Facebook is still quite active with it's groups and events, but IG's format and mass appeal is a force to be reckoned with... wink

Unfortunately their search function absolutely sucks.

Jan 14 19 04:32 pm Link