Forums > General Industry > MM is kinda dead?

Photographer

Todd Meredith

Fayetteville, North Carolina, US

Post hidden on Jul 10, 2018 12:16 pm
Reason: off-topic

Jul 08 18 02:00 pm Link

Photographer

Black Z Eddie

San Jacinto, California, US

Jul 08 18 03:41 pm Link

Photographer

Todd Meredith

Fayetteville, North Carolina, US

Jul 08 18 07:06 pm Link

Photographer

Worlds Of Water

Rancho Cucamonga, California, US

Jul 08 18 07:28 pm Link

Photographer

Philip Brown

Long Beach, California, US

Chuckarelei wrote:
Instagram is geared toward mobile devices. Desktop computers are not truly supported.

I personally like to use my desktop to browse instagram. It's a fairly pleasant interface that way.
I only use the app, for things it REQUIRES me to to:
* post/edit posts
* use messaging.  Which, funnily enough, I've never gotten any real good use out of.

I still have yet to hear exactly HOW photographers can use instagram in a productive way.
Do IG photogs just forever hit the refresh button, on a search for #<myarea>models, and then robospam messages to anyone who posts?
There's no useful "find models in my area" mechanism, or "post a job for models in my area", that I have found.
Yet people keep claiming "everyone has moved from MM to IG".
Makes no sense to me.

Jul 08 18 08:38 pm Link

Photographer

PhotoACR

Los Angeles, California, US

Philip Brown wrote:
I still have yet to hear exactly HOW photographers can use instagram in a productive way.
Do IG photogs just forever hit the refresh button, on a search for #<myarea>models, and then robospam messages to anyone who posts?
There's no useful "find models in my area" mechanism, or "post a job for models in my area", that I have found.
Makes no sense to me.

True, IG really has no purpose for photographers looking for models. What makes IG a valid marketing tool is for the so called "influencers". Models and wannabee models who have loads of followers or fans. E-commerce businesses want to get their products in them to take advantage of their following and have some street credibility. IG is a photo-sharing app for social interaction and a news feed, not an industry portal to industry models, MUA's, stylists and photographers. No casting or travel notices at a keystroke. By the way, in IG you can buy one thousand "likes" for less than ten bucks.

Jul 08 18 08:51 pm Link

Photographer

Worlds Of Water

Philip Brown wrote:

The sad reality of this statement is... there's MILLIONS of models and photographers on Instagram that have never even heard of Model Mayhem.  I know models on IG that have millions of more followers than Model Mayhem's IG page does... wink

Jul 08 18 09:27 pm Link

Photographer

the lonely photographer

Beverly Hills, California, US

Todd Meredith wrote:

I'm really sorry to hear we missed the announcement that you've been made comment monitor.  Two people conversing about something they've discussed previously shouldn't affect you in the least.  That is unless you believe you're one of the people we're referring to and, in that case, if the lens cap fits...

Take a chill pill, Francis.  No one addressed you nor asked for your input so why feel the need to concern yourself?  Ironically you're e only one getting upset.  Everyone else here is having a pretty civil conversation.  Please stop trying to turn every thread into an argument.

my sentiments exactly...

Jul 08 18 11:41 pm Link

Photographer

the lonely photographer

Philip Brown wrote:

I personally like to use my desktop to browse instagram. It's a fairly pleasant interface that way.
I only use the app, for things it REQUIRES me to to:
* post/edit posts
* use messaging.  Which, funnily enough, I've never gotten any real good use out of.

Makes no sense to me.

i have model friends that plaster instagrams all day long, its their 15 minutes of fame....I got mostly models as facebook friends, some males but they are business connections.  I get friend requests from guys trying to get to the models,  mostly players    I delete those requests. I have an instagram account never posted anything there... all the model friends I work with I have their numbers and I accumulate new models constantly, every body knows everybody already  so references are no problem... I think once you find yourself in the loop you'll find plenty of models.
my problem here is making first contact   it seems you have to friend them first before you can message them.

Jul 08 18 11:59 pm Link

Photographer

Bob Helm Photography

Cherry Hill, New Jersey, US

I think something that is overlooked is with the number of social media platforms out there it is not a binary choice of this or that or a one stop shopping center.

For one stop MM is still the best but their friending and messaging policies are counter productive , discouraging networking and like everyone has a different policy on accepting friend requests.

FB has area specific model and photographer groups and if there isn't one for your area start one, it isn't difficult.

IG is great for posting a large number of photos. Just wish it was easier to use with a computer. Perhaps we need a new platform?

Meetup groups are great for face to face networking.

If it was easy everyone would be doing it so use all the tools available.

Jul 09 18 07:08 am Link

Photographer

the lonely photographer

Bob Helm Photography wrote:
I think something that is overlooked is with the number of social media platforms out there it is not a binary choice of this or that or a one stop shopping center.

For one stop MM is still the best but their friending and messaging policies are counter productive , discouraging networking and like everyone has a different policy on accepting friend requests.

FB has area specific model and photographer groups and if there isn't one for your area start one, it isn't difficult.

IG is great for posting a large number of photos. Just wish it was easier to use with a computer. Perhaps we need a new platform?

Meetup groups are great for face to face networking.

If it was easy everyone would be doing it so use all the tools available.

I've been back almost 3 weeks, submitted at least 20+ friend requests.. didn't get one back. I seriously believe MM is not putting those requests through. I believe if I upgraded my account  (in other words  a paid account)  those FR would get a response... I answered  a few casting calls, and got a response back quickly, though I knew these models previously, I messaged to say hi for the most part. I had a VIP account previously

Jul 09 18 08:03 am Link

Photographer

Bob Helm Photography

Cherry Hill, New Jersey, US

I have a Legacy account and have many friend requests accepted by local and non local models. Time will tell how many shoots result .

Jul 09 18 10:41 am Link

Artist/Painter

Hunter GWPB

King of Prussia, Pennsylvania, US

the lonely photographer wrote:

I've been back almost 3 weeks, submitted at least 20+ friend requests.. didn't get one back. I seriously believe MM is not putting those requests through. I believe if I upgraded my account  (in other words  a paid account)  those FR would get a response... I answered  a few casting calls, and got a response back quickly, though I knew these models previously, I messaged to say hi for the most part. I had a VIP account previously

I put out a few friend requests recently, to models in distant lands and close by.  I got responses.  I do not have a paid account.  I doubt MM is messing with your FR inquiries.

I noticed when I looked at a couple of profiles recently, I had pending friend request.  One is currently in my area.  Because she hasn't accepted the FR, I can't send a pm and she will likely miss out on a paid job.  If she ever does acknowledge the FR, I can wait for next time, but I am unlikely to get all pissy about it and burn the bridges.  People do what they do and we are often un-appraised of what is going on in their lives or how they interpret social constructs.  Even if they do accept the FR, there is no guarantee that they will answer the pm. 

I believe that verified credits help.

Jul 09 18 12:02 pm Link

Photographer

the lonely photographer

Hunter  GWPB wrote:

I put out a few friend requests recently, to models in distant lands and close by.  I got responses.  I do not have a paid account.  I doubt MM is messing with your FR inquiries.

I noticed when I looked at a couple of profiles recently, I had pending friend request.  One is currently in my area.  Because she hasn't accepted the FR, I can't send a pm and she will likely miss out on a paid job.  If she ever does acknowledge the FR, I can wait for next time, but I am unlikely to get all pissy about it and burn the bridges.  People do what they do and we are often un-appraised of what is going on in their lives or how they interpret social constructs.  Even if they do accept the FR, there is no guarantee that they will answer the pm. 

I believe that verified credits help.

you can doubt all you want,  when you send out 20+ FR and not get one back  there is definitely wrong! In the past I've had almost 100% returns...

Jul 09 18 01:43 pm Link

Artist/Painter

Hunter GWPB

King of Prussia, Pennsylvania, US

you can doubt all you want,  when you send out 20+ FR and not get one back  there is definitely wrong! In the past I've had almost 100% returns...

Why, thank you very much for your permission and I do feel free to doubt that MM is intentionally derailing you.  I do not disagree that there is a problem, but other people are not sharing your experience of zero responses.  That might be an indication that the problem is something else.  You have good images in your port.  I've got crap in mine.  So, that doesn't explain it either.  I am not having any trouble setting up shoots with models that I want to work with.  But I don't fret what I can't control.  You seem to have a sense of humor.  Good luck to you anyway.

Jul 09 18 02:05 pm Link

Photographer

Worlds Of Water

Have you ever considered changing your MM name?  People could potentially label 'anyone who is lonely' as a social misfit and non-conformist who doesn't play well with others and who might possibly be dealing with some mental health issues.  The MM name you have selected could possibly be the reason behind the lack of responses you're experiencing... just an observaton... wink

Jul 09 18 02:14 pm Link

Photographer

Black Z Eddie

Select Models wrote:
Have you ever considered changing your MM name?  People could easily be lageling 'anyone who is lonely' as a social misfit and non-conformist who doesn't play well with others and who might possibly be dealing with some mental health issues.  The MM name you have selected could possibly be the reason behind the lack of responses you're experiencing... just an observaton... wink

Haha, read the last paragraph of his profile.

Jul 09 18 02:17 pm Link

Photographer

Worlds Of Water

Post hidden on Jul 10, 2018 12:17 pm
Reason: inflammatory

Jul 09 18 02:37 pm Link

Photographer

the lonely photographer

Select Models wrote:

OMG... fur sure... making a comparison between himself and psycho killer Norman Bates... probably NOT the wisest profile admission... wink

None of the models I'e shot in the past ever brought it up... nobody cares  except you guys but then I'm not shooting you

Jul 09 18 03:07 pm Link

Photographer

Worlds Of Water

None of the models I'e shot in the past ever brought it up.

It's because models don't read profiles... they just look at the pics... AND... 'ones name' is pretty much impossible to miss... wink

Jul 09 18 03:12 pm Link

Photographer

the lonely photographer

Select Models wrote:

It's because nobody reads profiles anymore... but 'ones name' is pretty much impossible to miss... wink

got you to look didn't it?

Jul 09 18 03:14 pm Link

Photographer

Worlds Of Water

got you to look didn't it?

Nope... only read the last 2 sentences when Eddie made a reference to it... wink

Jul 09 18 03:19 pm Link

Photographer

the lonely photographer

Post hidden on Jul 10, 2018 12:24 pm

Jul 09 18 03:44 pm Link

Photographer

Art Silva

Santa Barbara, California, US

Select Models wrote:
You hit the nail on the head there.  Instagram is now the #1 powerhouse of social media for photographers and models.  Facebook is still quite active with it's groups and events, but IG's format and mass appeal is a force to be reckoned with... wink

This is exactly what I was saying at the end of 2017 and all ya'll here on the forums thought I was out of my mind.
Instagram took over the social media game in many ways, including photographers, models and media creation organizations. IG along with Youtube (and maybe FB) are huge tools right now and its because of daily activity and immediate consuming of content and instant feedback.
MM is just a side show at this point but quite valuable for referencing and stats and other pertinent information. Find your model on IG and research her MM, that seems to be the new booking process at least for me.

Basically it comes to global traffic which is MUCH greater on IG with their tagging algorithms. I have found Soooo many new prospects (active traveling models) and photographers who posts their model work more frequently on IG than MM where models are credited and BAM, a new model to the mix.
MM you have a set portfolio of static images, same with IG but the way IG is set up those images become interactive and live... something MM should look into if they want to survive the photo/model scene.

Jul 09 18 04:30 pm Link

Photographer

Black Z Eddie

None of the models I'e shot in the past ever brought it up...

That was the past, this is now.  Now, apparently your name does matter because no one is responding to your friend requests.  Zero.  Zilch.  Nada.  Even from your own profile:  Lol, I was told my name " thelonelyphotographer" sounded scary, so the model opted not to shoot with me, hell, I thought it was better than "Norman Bates".

You know your name is the problem but instead concoct some idiotic conspiracy theory it's some ploy MM is doing to get you to upgrade.

nobody cares  except you guys but then I'm not shooting you

Actually, yeah, somebody cares, the models!  And, you since you posted this, this, and this.  That's just from this thread.

Change your name and they will come.

Btw, I sincerely hope you were smart enough to send friend requests to models active in the last 7 days and not 30, or worst, 365.

Jul 10 18 02:51 am Link

Photographer

FIFTYONE PHOTOGRAPHY

Uniontown, Pennsylvania, US

I have no desire to be popular on any social media,  I just want to be good. 

It's My observation that being popular and having any real talent don't necessarily relate.

Jul 10 18 03:27 am Link

Photographer

the lonely photographer

Black Z Eddie wrote:

That was the past, this is now.  Now, apparently your name does matter because no one is responding to your friend requests.  Zero.  Zilch.  Nada.  Even from your own profile:  Lol, I was told my name " thelonelyphotographer" sounded scary, so the model opted not to shoot with me, hell, I thought it was better than "Norman Bates".

You know your name is the problem but instead concoct some idiotic conspiracy theory it's some ploy MM is doing to get you to upgrade.

Actually, yeah, somebody cares, the models!  And, you since you posted this, this, and this.  That's just from this thread.

Change your name and they will come.

Btw, I sincerely hope you were smart enough to send friend requests to models active in the last 7 days and not 30, or worst, 365.

I had this name since I joined 7 years ago, I've always had a response from models from day one,   I upgraded to a VIP account added tons of pictures. I left this alone for a while and MM started to change its policies and screwed around with my pictures deleting some of them and now making it impossible to message newbies without being friends first... interestingly enough that limitation goes away if I upgrade my account. but you 2  already know that.
I've gotten messages from other people regarding you 2 obnoxious trolls and none of it is good. I know people in real life that act like you 2 and I don't associate with them.

Jul 10 18 06:40 am Link

Photographer

PhotoACR

None of the models I'e shot in the past ever brought it up... nobody cares  except you guys but then I'm not shooting you

Hi, you got my curiosity. I was following the post on LA Models and this thread and you seem to be quite authoritative in your posts on the subjects and imply that you shoot a lot. I looked at your portfolio and did not see any photos past 2013. Also, i am not familiar with any of the models you have featured. I am sure that you are probably holding back. Is there any other medium where we can view your photos?, IG or FB maybe. I am just curious.

Jul 10 18 08:48 am Link

Model

Miss 5 11

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia

Trolls killed the forums

Prudish Mods killed the contests

I still get work here if I send out a hundred emails to local photographers.

Just takes a little work.

People want it easy.

They don't want to work at anything too hard.

Lazy

Jul 10 18 08:49 am Link

Photographer

PhotoACR

Miss 5 11 wrote:
Trolls killed the forums

Prudish Mods killed the contests

I still get work here if I send out a hundred emails to local photographers.

Just takes a little work.

People want it easy.

They don't want to work at anything too hard.

Lazy

If I ever get to Melbourne you will be the first person I contact and have a photoshoot with. Been to SoEast Asia 6 times in the past four years but did not venture any further south. One of these days I will.

Jul 10 18 08:58 am Link

Photographer

Black Z Eddie

...I left this alone for a while and MM started to change its policies and screwed around with my pictures deleting some of them and now making it impossible to message newbies without being friends first... interestingly enough that limitation goes away if I upgrade my account. but you 2  already know that.

Dude, we are way past that.  That was almost a year and half a ago.  It affected everybody.  E-V-E-R-Y-B-O-D-Y.  Everybody.  We kicked and screamed to no avail.  But, at the end of day, the smart ones adapted.  We improvised.  And, we conquered.  So, now, it takes more work.  If that's what it takes, that's what you do.

And besides, your constant gripe in this thread is about the friend request non-responders.  If they are not responding to your friend requests, what the hell makes you think they'll respond to your messages if you could send directly?  Chew on that for a second.

I've gotten messages from other people regarding you 2 obnoxious trolls and none of it is good.

What a coincidence, your buddy said the same about me a few months ago.  What are we, in grade school?  Just noticed you two recently added yourselves as friends.  Sharing notes?

I know people in real life that act like you 2 and I don't associate with them.

Probably because you want to surround yourself with people that will pander to your whining and your delusions.  You don't want the truth.  You can't handle the truth.

Jul 10 18 09:54 am Link

Photographer

the lonely photographer

PhotoACR wrote:

Hi, you got my curiosity. I was following the post on LA Models and this thread and you seem to be quite authoritative in your posts on the subjects and imply that you shoot a lot. I looked at your portfolio and did not see any photos past 2013. Also, i am not familiar with any of the models you have featured. I am sure that you are probably holding back. Is there any other medium where we can view your photos?, IG or FB maybe. I am just curious.

I been away from FB, don't have time to upload to MM. Those people are from MM and from way back.though I see a few of them and one just got married..one is making movies in europe, one I talk to on Facebook and the rest I have current contact information on... I have enough people to shoot without relying on MM.. I'm only after models that are 5'9 and up for runway work... obviously the pool gets smaller, I don't like dealing with agencies I have my own casting people that I work with  mostly we develop exclusive model contracts with the newmodels..agencies can act like leeches
if you want to facebook me then send a request..here     I don't normally friend men on facebook because they try to farm my friends....most of my FB friends are female  I just don t tak epictures of men  unless they are models we can call for a show.... hope that gives you some clarification

Jul 10 18 10:40 am Link

Photographer

the lonely photographer

Post hidden on Jul 10, 2018 12:21 pm

Jul 10 18 10:43 am Link

Photographer

Worlds Of Water

Post hidden on Jul 10, 2018 12:21 pm

Jul 10 18 10:58 am Link

Photographer

PhotoACR

I been away from FB, don't have time to upload to MM. Those people are from MM and from way back.though I see a few of them and one just got married..one is making movies in europe, one I talk to on Facebook and the rest I have current contact information on... I have enough people to shoot without relying on MM.. I'm only after models that are 5'9 and up for runway work... obviously the pool gets smaller, I don't like dealing with agencies I have my own casting people that I work with  mostly we develop exclusive model contracts with the newmodels..agencies can act like leeches
if you want to facebook me then send a request..here     I don't normally friend men on facebook because they try to farm my friends....most of my FB friends are female  I just don t tak epictures of men  unless they are models we can call for a show.... hope that gives you some clarification

Ok, thanks for responding. I wanted to see recent photos you have taken. You comment a lot on LA fashion and I wanted to see what made you think you were special to this industry. When you have moment post some of your newer photos. I am curious to see your current style.

Jul 10 18 11:02 am Link

Photographer

the lonely photographer

PhotoACR wrote:

Ok, thanks for responding. I wanted to see recent photos you have taken. You comment a lot on LA fashion and I wanted to see what made you think you were special to this industry. When you have moment post some of your newer photos. I am curious to see your current style.

certainly not special to this industry, I go attend mostly because my friends that shoot the shows save me a seat at the end of the runway. I don't sell the photos to Getty or make money on this. I go to meet the designers and see if we can contract for the manufacturing for wholesale.So if you expect to see magazine pictures, you'll be disappointed.  Catalog and look books are not very glamourous.  unfortunately a lot of my shots are red carpet, wysiwyg conditions,,, I would loveto get time to shoot in the studio like normal people..I take what I can get   sometimes hot sweaty girls with runny makeup  it is what it is. I'm not competing here...my business is selling clothes, Frankly I let other people shoot the images...its not that important to be the guy pressing the shutter
As to my griping about facebook and the models not responding. it is what it is....If these 2 trolls cant accept that  then its on them.   Any new models I get here, I'll will probably tell another guy I know to do the shoot...

Jul 10 18 11:21 am Link

Photographer

the lonely photographer

Post hidden on Jul 10, 2018 12:26 pm

Jul 10 18 11:48 am Link

Photographer

PhotoACR

DAMN!!, this thread was just getting HOT!!!, censorship sucks big time.

Jul 10 18 01:00 pm Link

Photographer

Green Wave Photo 312

Chicago, Illinois, US

I've definitely been using instagram to source models. I wish the search capabilities were better though. Like I wish I could hastag #chicago and #model and have it return posts with both of those hashtags in it rather than having to hashtag #chicagomodel since hardly anyone uses that hashtag. Get what I mean?

Also, there are tons of "models" on instagram that haven't even heard of this site these days.

Jul 16 18 06:19 pm Link

Photographer

Louis Li Photography

Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

I've noted less and less models joining MM in my area,and some of those new models stop logging in or removed their account after week or month.

Jul 24 18 08:26 am Link