Forums > Off-Topic Discussion > The Big Short ( part 2 )

Photographer

sospix

Orlando, Florida, US

Apple took quite a beating yesterday, both based on the global news, and the court ruling, but, still not quite at a "buy" level, at least not for me, we'll see what the next few days do to it  .  .  .  if it gets into the $170's, it'll sure get my attention  .  .  .  bought a few stocks yesterday that were affected by the China news, even though they don't directly have any connection with tariff based goods  .  .  .  sometimes the hysteria created as things play out in the news, presents unexpected buying opportunities!

SOS

May 14 19 08:41 am Link

Photographer

Garry k

Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

Garry k wrote:
Oh Oh - Looks like things are starting to fall apart again

SDOW
NUGT
Kirkland Lake

I was calmed by the reassuring words of your President and took my finger off the panic button

still like Gold though

May 14 19 12:47 pm Link

Photographer

San Anselmo, California, US

Cash is KING..  Would not like to be short this mkt ....

May 19 19 02:49 pm Link

Photographer

Shadow Dancer

Bellingham, Washington, US

Garry k wrote:

I was calmed by the reassuring words of your President and took my finger off the panic button

still like Gold though

Hmmm... you could just make up your own fairy tales? Equally substantial and "fact based". LOL.
Ugh.

And yes, I think gold is going to be affected by current market volatility but a good longer term choice. Must be gut-churning holding NUGT and watching amplified fluctuations. Still up 24% on WPM, will hang on to it. I flipped out of CDE but watching. If it gets hammered than I buy again.

May 20 19 09:54 am Link

Photographer

Garry k

Shadow Dancer wrote:

Hmmm... you could just make up your own fairy tales? Equally substantial and "fact based". LOL.
Ugh.

And yes, I think gold is going to be affected by current market volatility but a good longer term choice. Must be gut-churning holding NUGT and watching amplified fluctuations. Still up 24% on WPM, will hang on to it. I flipped out of CDE but watching. If it gets hammered than I buy again.

Well the Dow has continued to climb ( but for how long ?)

And Gold is taking off

So ?

Jun 24 19 05:31 pm Link

Photographer

Shadow Dancer

Garry k wrote:
Well the Dow has continued to climb ( but for how long ?)

And Gold is taking off

So ?

I'm up 54% on WPM, not holding much else.
G20 is going to be "interesting".
There is optimism now but I am of the opinion that China and the US do not make a "deal" yet.
So, I am ready to buy afterward. Probably either way.
If no deal, there will be blood in the streets and bargains to be had if you have $ to spend.
If there is a deal, some things will rise above all reason and then come down to a buy point.
Be ready!

Too many companies making money to ignore. MSFT, BABA, SHOP, ADBE are among those who will prosper.

Jun 24 19 06:22 pm Link

Photographer

Garry k

Hoping for both a China Deal and some Negotiations with Iran

Jun 24 19 07:59 pm Link

Photographer

Garry k

Shadow Dancer wrote:

I'm up 54% on WPM, not holding much else.
G20 is going to be "interesting".
There is optimism now but I am of the opinion that China and the US do not make a "deal" yet.
So, I am ready to buy afterward. Probably either way.
If no deal, there will be blood in the streets and bargains to be had if you have $ to spend.
If there is a deal, some things will rise above all reason and then come down to a buy point.
Be ready!

Too many companies making money to ignore. MSFT, BABA, SHOP, ADBE are among those who will prosper.

Up 64 % on NUGT
34% on Kirkland

and about a month ago i added JNUG. WPM and MAG - which are all doing well too

holding on to my PDL which i think will pop anytime

Jun 24 19 07:59 pm Link

Photographer

Shadow Dancer

Garry k wrote:
Hoping for both a China Deal and some Negotiations with Iran

It is difficult to comment on either of those topics without going all Soapbox up in here.

Meh. I will attempt to be subtle, following comments are in regards to G-20 and the USA/China meeting.
I can't muster up the subtlety required where Iran is concerned, that's all I will say here. Feel free to PM if you want to know what I think, although it's fairly obvious to anybody paying attention.

Let's just say that there are vast differences in "style" and/or historic and traditional considerations where negotiations are concerned. There could also be certain advantages for one party to drag things out at this point even though it may seem counter-intuitive.

I am skeptical.

Jun 24 19 08:32 pm Link

Photographer

Shadow Dancer

Garry k wrote:

Up 64 % on NUGT
34% on Kirkland

and about a month ago i added JNUG. WPM and MAG - which are all doing well too

holding on to my PDL which i think will pop anytime

Well done on NUGT and Kirkland (is that Costco?)!
PDL 5 year chart shows they used to be in the $8-10 dollar range about 5 years ago and have dropped below $4 in Nov 2015 and haven't gone back up. Would take research to figure that one out...

CDE took a nice bump upwards today, will check it in the am. It has room to go upward as well and I am more familiar with the precious metals story. Dollar has been high, PMs stay low.

Jun 24 19 08:56 pm Link

Photographer

Garry k

Shadow Dancer wrote:
Well done on NUGT and Kirkland (is that Costco?)!
PDL 5 year chart shows they used to be in the $8-10 dollar range about 5 years ago and have dropped below $4 in Nov 2015 and haven't gone back up. Would take research to figure that one out...

CDE took a nice bump upwards today, will check it in the am. It has room to go upward as well and I am more familiar with the precious metals story. Dollar has been high, PMs stay low.

Kirkland Lake is a Canadian Gold Mining Stock that has gone from approx $1.25 to $56 ( Can )  in the past 5 years

PDL is a Canadian Palladium Miner ( that is 85 percent Instiutionally owned ) currently trading at $14.65 ( Can ) .PE of 5.6 They are the worlds 7th largest Palladium Miner ( outside of Russia and S Africa ) Palladium is an essential metal with respect to the making of catalytic converters

Jun 24 19 10:17 pm Link

Photographer

Shadow Dancer

Garry k wrote:

Kirkland Lake is a Canadian Gold Mining Stock that has gone from approx $1.25 to $56 ( Can )  in the past 5 years

PDL is a Canadian Palladium Miner ( that is 85 percent Instiutionally owned ) currently trading at $14.65 ( Can ) .PE of 5.6 They are the worlds 7th largest Palladium Miner ( outside of Russia and S Africa ) Palladium is an essential metal with respect to the making of catalytic converters

Sweet, thanks for the information! I'll take a look tomorrow.
If no trade deal, look at lithium stocks. Best to be quick about it before they are leveraged in negotiations.
Just reminding myself to look tomorrow as well. Another metal that is required to maintain current status.

Jun 24 19 10:46 pm Link

Photographer

Garry k

Reportedly IBD today recommened taking profits on Kirkland

So I reduced my position on the stock ( and on NUGT ) to half

Jun 25 19 11:29 am Link

Photographer

Shadow Dancer

Garry k wrote:

Not a bad thing to take some profits.
Puts you in a better position if buys come up.
And it's only a profit once it's off the table.
Going to be an interesting week, I am almost all in cash at the moment.

Jun 25 19 09:16 pm Link

Photographer

Shadow Dancer

Garry k wrote:

Not a bad thing to take some profits.
Puts you in a better position if buys come up.
And it's only a profit once it's off the table.
Going to be an interesting week, I am almost all in cash at the moment.

Jun 25 19 09:16 pm Link

Photographer

Garry k

well that was a fun little gold rush while it rose

Jul 02 19 04:27 am Link

Photographer

Garry k

Best Keep Your Eyes on the Ball

This could be the start of an even bigger crash than happened last Oct ( just after i started this discussion )

Aug 05 19 11:57 am Link

Photographer

Tony From Syracuse

Syracuse, New York, US

I never let these things freak me out.  theres a certain type of person that cashes out their investments anytime they hear of a drop.    I went thru the 2008 crash and pulled nothing out. took a loss, and then as is want to happen...it roared back and due to how good the markets been, I have made up anything I lost and gained more, because thats the best way to play it.  staying the course is where its at.

Aug 05 19 02:27 pm Link

Photographer

Shadow Dancer

Garry k wrote:
Best Keep Your Eyes on the Ball

This could be the start of an even bigger crash than happened last Oct ( just after i started this discussion )

Things will go down but it is hardly a crash. It won't be pretty, I'll grant you that.

It can also be a great time to buy some bargains. Paypal and Salesforce come to mind, they get taken down with the current turmoil but have solid earnings and very little exposure to the trade wars compared to retail stocks like Target, Walmart or Costco.

WPM, CDE, NAK and RIOT all moved upwards today, with CDE rising 7+%.

Funds are being re-allocated to "safe haven" stocks. I moved out of other sectors and have a bit of precious metal stocks and bitcoin ETF.

Be aware there could be a huge increase in tariffs Sept 2nd, will be good to have cash on hand.

Aug 05 19 02:44 pm Link

Photographer

Garry k

Shadow Dancer wrote:

Things will go down but it is hardly a crash. It won't be pretty, I'll grant you that.

It can also be a great time to buy some bargains. Paypal and Salesforce come to mind, they get taken down with the current turmoil but have solid earnings and very little exposure to the trade wars compared to retail stocks like Target, Walmart or Costco.

WPM, CDE, NAK and RIOT all moved upwards today, with CDE rising 7+%.

Funds are being re-allocated to "safe haven" stocks. I moved out of other sectors and have a bit of precious metal stocks and bitcoin ETF.

Be aware there could be a huge increase in tariffs Sept 2nd, will be good to have cash on hand.

I would give it a week to see where things are heading

Aug 05 19 10:48 pm Link

Photographer

Shadow Dancer

Garry k wrote:

I would give it a week to see where things are heading

Agreed, at least. Too many balls in play right now for any sort of predictable outcome.

Aug 05 19 11:50 pm Link

Photographer

Garry k

Tony From Syracuse wrote:
I never let these things freak me out.  theres a certain type of person that cashes out their investments anytime they hear of a drop.    I went thru the 2008 crash and pulled nothing out. took a loss, and then as is want to happen...it roared back and due to how good the markets been, I have made up anything I lost and gained more, because thats the best way to play it.  staying the course is where its at.

and there are those that understand the difference between a rainstorm and a hurricaine

Imagine yourself the long term holder of GE stock - nearly $60 a share in 1999 and just over $6 last Nov

Too many other examples to list

Aug 07 19 09:44 pm Link

Photographer

Shadow Dancer

Garry k wrote:

and there are those that understand the difference between a rainstorm and a hurricaine

Imagine yourself the long term holder of GE stock - nearly $60 a share in 1999 and just over $6 last Nov

Too many other examples to list

Or Sears!!!! So many believe the mantra "Buy and Hold".
They provide some semblance of stability to the market so I don't argue with them.
Buy low, sell high.
It's simple. But tricky!

Aug 08 19 08:01 am Link

Photographer

rxz

Glen Ellyn, Illinois, US

Not good news when the yield curve inverts for 2 and 10 year treasuries.  It's only 1 basic point, but still.

Aug 14 19 09:11 am Link

Photographer

rxz

Glen Ellyn, Illinois, US

Another bond sale this morning and the inverted yield curve for 2 and 10 year treasuries is now 4 basis points.  Still small but not a good trend.

Aug 27 19 10:16 am Link

Photographer

Garry k

Currently holding

NUGT
KIrkland Lake
USLV
Wheaton Prec Metals
Harmony Gold
CDE
PDL

Aug 27 19 01:41 pm Link

Photographer

Shadow Dancer

Garry k wrote:
Currently holding

NUGT
KIrkland Lake
USLV
Wheaton Prec Metals
Harmony Gold
CDE
PDL

I have WPM, wish I would have bought a ton of it. Held since Dec 2018, up 84% as of today.
I have CDE, it is moving in the right direction. Up 13% so far.
The silver to gold ratio seems to be moving. Both companies deal in both gold and silver.
Bits and dabs of other stuff, not moving much.
Bought CGC way too early, will wait it out as it is not a large holding.

Aug 27 19 07:05 pm Link

Photographer

Garry k

Thinking now that Silver will start moving to close the ratio with gold

and happy to see Palladium taking off

Sep 03 19 10:57 am Link

Photographer

MSKNH

Manchester, New Hampshire, US

Just back to the Mayhem, figures this would be the 1st thread I peek into.

I'm short the SPY. S&P touches a new high after the Fed cuts, then falls to close flat. ( Generally ) stocks are fully valued, and earnings will suffer and remain uncertain until there's a trade deal with China. That will be a "sell the news" event. Also it's likely there'll be some response to the Saudi oil fields attack...

Sep 19 19 01:27 pm Link

Photographer

nwprophoto

Tonasket, Washington, US

Whats a good play for the pandemic? Airlines?

Jan 30 20 12:46 pm Link

Photographer

Shadow Dancer

nwprophoto wrote:
Whats a good play for the pandemic? Airlines?

In general, it's best at this point to wait on the sidelines.  Let things go down, if there is enough downward trend then good stocks will get dragged down with the ones that are adversely affected.

If you are a gambler you could short some things. I don't play that game and have no advice.

If you had tickets to China right now you might not want to go and change your plans.

Starbucks is getting hit, revenues in China are down right now. Wait, let them go down. That is a solid company and had great numbers last year. I don't own any, should of would of could of...

Jan 30 20 01:32 pm Link

Photographer

Tony From Syracuse

Syracuse, New York, US

I was looking to invest in virtual reality tech somehow. they are really struggling now, I suspect mostly due to cost, but after having stepped into VR...I cant see how this tech wont be huge.  everyone from the military....to civilians shopping.
I know john carmack is really invested into it via facebook somehow. but I want to look into VR

Jan 30 20 03:12 pm Link

Photographer

Garry k

Looks like the Big One now

and just a few days short of my 18 month prediction

Mar 01 20 12:57 am Link

Photographer

NYC fine art nudes

New York, New York, US

Garry K, you're making Nostradamus blush !

Hold on tight (figuratively)  -gonna get rocky . . .

Mar 01 20 05:41 am Link

Photographer

Focuspuller

Los Angeles, California, US

Market-panic drops from a one-off force majeure demonstrate nicely two operating principles of stock markets; Fear and Greed. When panic-driven individuals dump their stocks, who do you think is buying? Who has ALWAYS come out ahead? Exactly.  This pandemic/epidemic will pass, companies will not have been fundamentally harmed, deferred demand will return and the market will shoot up again, although the recovery looks like it may be delayed due to staggering government incompetence and dishonesty.

Mar 01 20 09:48 am Link

Photographer

Focuspuller

Los Angeles, California, US

Shadow Dancer wrote:

Or Sears!!!! So many believe the mantra "Buy and Hold".
They provide some semblance of stability to the market so I don't argue with them.
Buy low, sell high.
It's simple. But tricky!

NOT simple. "Buy and hold" assumes investing in fundamentally sound companies, NOT any random stock. Take Apple for example. Has revenue forecast been corrected down and stock drop because people think Apple products suck, or because of events nothing to do with Apple's fundamentals? If the first, Apple has a problem. If the second, not so much. And since I have made a small fortune buying Apple dips, just waiting for right time to jump in again.

Mar 01 20 09:59 am Link

Photographer

PhillipM

Nashville, Tennessee, US

I'm going long Cruise Lines this week. Long term play
Short the VIX via puts UVXY.  Short term play

Mar 01 20 02:51 pm Link

Photographer

Garry k

Got beaten up on my Gold Stocks last week

But this week they recovered

And then Yesterday I discovered small bio tech called Inovio

and thought - Why Not ?

Mar 03 20 08:26 pm Link

Photographer

Shadow Dancer

Focuspuller wrote:

NOT simple. "Buy and hold" assumes investing in fundamentally sound companies, NOT any random stock. Take Apple for example. Has revenue forecast been corrected down and stock drop because people think Apple products suck, or because of events nothing to do with Apple's fundamentals? If the first, Apple has a problem. If the second, not so much. And since I have made a small fortune buying Apple dips, just waiting for right time to jump in again.

You are discussing "Buy and Hold" which I said early in the post before pivoting to "Buy Low, Sell High" which is what my sarcastic comment regarding simplicity is actualy referring to.

None of it matters yet, we are well into a Correction but we may have a way to go before things stabilize. One could start picking up stocks that have taken a beating but represent great companies like NVDA. Starbucks is getting slammed in China, when they get near the bottom that could be a good one to hold some shares. Keeping some money in precious metals for now but keeping an eye on Apple and others as wll.

We will be seeing buying opportunities, we already are seeing some.

Mar 06 20 02:41 pm Link

Photographer

PhillipM

Nashville, Tennessee, US

Bought american airlines today, to go with my cruise stock.  CCL.

Mar 06 20 04:54 pm Link