Forums > Photography Talk > Any photographers over age 40 in here?

Photographer

Mad Hatter Imagery

Buffalo, New York, US

How does the human form change in the mind with age of the seer? I find faces don't illicit as much emotion in me anymore. I see lines and geometric shapes and proportions. But I see less and less a sense of purpose, or real connection to the person. Just mechanics without emotional content. Maybe when we are young we see symbolically, but when we are older everything separates into as many parts as we can discover?

Apr 07 19 03:02 pm Link

Photographer

udor

New York, New York, US

I am over 40, definitely above! smile

I have the opposite experience from you... I LOVE faces, they still intrigue me, especially interesting and beautiful faces, even old faces with a ton of wrinkles can be very beautiful.

I still see meaning and I love what I am doing, with passion.

Apr 07 19 03:36 pm Link

Photographer

Ken Marcus Studios

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

udor wrote:
I am over 40, definitely above! smile

I have the opposite experience from you... I LOVE faces, they still intrigue me, especially interesting and beautiful faces, even old faces with a ton of wrinkles can be very beautiful.

I still see meaning and I love what I am doing, with passion.

I agree with Udor's perspective. Age only adds to the understanding of the subtleties of facial expressions.
I'm well over 40, if that answers the OP's question . . .

KM

Apr 07 19 06:04 pm Link

Photographer

Jerry Nemeth

Dearborn, Michigan, US

I look at faces all the time.  Especially potential models!

Apr 07 19 07:16 pm Link

Photographer

Shadow Dancer

Bellingham, Washington, US

I will never tire of a lovely smile or twinkling eyes.
Some faces look through the lens into the soul of the viewer, we call such people "photogenic."

Others can open up and share their true identities after a warm-up period.

Even the "closed" faces tell a story.

The same is true for graceful poses, I will never tire of them.

Well over 40, unlike many models, photographers can and will shoot until they are unable to do so.
As technology improves it extends the potential lifespan of the photographer.

Apr 07 19 07:50 pm Link

Photographer

Chuckarelei

Seattle, Washington, US

I tell all the young ladies that I'm still 25.

Apr 07 19 10:28 pm Link

Photographer

goofus

Santa Barbara, California, US

my brain still thinks I am 14

probably always will

Apr 08 19 09:20 am Link

Photographer

Vector One Photography

Fort Lauderdale, Florida, US

I'm so far over forty I can't even remember it.  I tend to agree with your thoughts and I think it depends on where you stand in life right now.  I look at faces and really don't care about their emotions.  I care whether they have the look I want to photograph but that's where it ends for me.  Maybe I'm getting callous in my old age, or maybe it reminds me of the song, "smiling faces".  Either way, I just don't care.

Apr 08 19 09:58 am Link

Clothing Designer

veypurr

Albuquerque, New Mexico, US

Photographers are required to retire after 40, it is a world wide law.

Apr 08 19 09:59 am Link

Photographer

kickfight

Portland, Oregon, US

I'm a decade and a half over 40, and still see a unique narrative in every face, and a unique choreography in every physique, and they are far more interesting to me now than when I was younger.

Apr 08 19 01:28 pm Link

Photographer

Art Silva

Santa Barbara, California, US

I'm over 40 and I like faces smile

Apr 08 19 08:47 pm Link

Photographer

Mad Hatter Imagery

Buffalo, New York, US

So most everyone feels particular emotions when they see particular facial expressions on other people's faces? And each unique face creates a unique concept for each emotion or mix of emotions? Nobody starts to thinking that the face can't come close to representing a person's real thoughts and feelings?

Apr 08 19 08:57 pm Link

Photographer

Shadow Dancer

Bellingham, Washington, US

Mad Hatter Imagery wrote:
So most everyone feels particular emotions when they see particular facial expressions on other people's faces? And each unique face creates a unique concept for each emotion or mix of emotions? Nobody starts to thinking that the face can't come close to representing a person's real thoughts and feelings?

My response to faces is non-verbal.
If you attempt to describe feelings, they can't come close to representing a person's actual emotions.

So, I am not sure what you are trying to say. This is because words and language are inadequate, it's not a shortcoming of your communcation skills or a failure of faces to communicate.

And certainly, every single one of us will respond differently to different faces. Attempts to quantify or define that seem futile to me, perhaps I am the only one who feels that way. I don't have verbal thoughts when I am enjoying music, watching nature, etc. I look at hands and see emotions also.

Apr 08 19 09:28 pm Link

Photographer

Graham Glover

Oakton, Virginia, US

Still alive.  Approaching 62.  Loving life behind the camera.  Seeing more than ever before.  So much more to do.

Apr 08 19 09:54 pm Link

Photographer

SayCheeZ!

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

I'm over 40, but what's even more amazing is the amount of MODELS that are  over 112 years old, and most of them don't look older than 24!  I wanna know what they're doing to look so young.

Apr 09 19 12:45 am Link

Photographer

Photo Jen B

Surprise, Arizona, US

How does the human form change in the mind with age of the seer? I find faces don't illicit as much emotion in me anymore. I see lines and geometric shapes and proportions. But I see less and less a sense of purpose, or real connection to the person. Just mechanics without emotional content. Maybe when we are young we see symbolically, but when we are older everything separates into as many parts as we can discover?

I'm soon to be 53 and I love faces, people and emotions. Maybe you just need a break from portraiture or you are around some selfish-shallow people who want pictures from you! However I haven't been shooting very long.

Maybe find some interesting people to shoot for a while. At the very least, avoid soul sucking leeches!

Jen

Apr 09 19 07:04 am Link

Photographer

Abbitt Photography

Washington, Utah, US

I was over 40 when I started shooting models, so I don't really have a before and after perspective.  I think I've always enjoyed photos that show the person in the context of their surroundings more than a focus on facial expressions.

Apr 09 19 07:11 am Link

Photographer

Creative Image

Avon, Connecticut, US

I am 86. Yep, 86 and I have been shooting and processing my own stuff since I was 14. Only pro thing I did were weddings in college for much needed $. Last summer did my eighth one man gallery show. Hung 36, sold 14. Subject was dancers dancing. Mostly ballet. Have done 100 + shoots a year for the last 3 years. Trying to slow down some this year.

Apr 09 19 11:37 am Link

Photographer

Photo Jen B

Surprise, Arizona, US

Creative Image wrote:
I am 86. Yep, 86 and I have been shooting and processing my own stuff since I was 14. Only pro thing I did were weddings in college for much needed $. Last summer did my eighth one man gallery show. Hung 36, sold 14. Subject was dancers dancing. Mostly ballet. Have done 100 + shoots a year for the last 3 years. Trying to slow down some this year.

Congratulations on your eigth one man gallery show AND on doing so well in sales.

Nice!
Jen

Apr 09 19 06:01 pm Link

Photographer

Ken Marcus Studios

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Ansel Adams said in regards to maturity and photography: "Anything you do before the age of 40 is considered your 'early work' and won't be taken seriously"

Apr 10 19 04:55 pm Link

Photographer

portraiturebyBrent

Round Rock, Texas, US

Ken Marcus Studios wrote:
Ansel Adams said in regards to maturity and photography: "Anything you do before the age of 40 is considered your 'early work' and won't be taken seriously"

Based on Einstein's accomplishments... I'd have to say that's relative.

Apr 12 19 02:28 am Link

Photographer

Graham Glover

Oakton, Virginia, US

portraiturebyBrent wrote:

Based on Einstein's accomplishments... I'd have to say that's relative.

Well, isn't that special!  wink

Apr 12 19 07:32 pm Link

Photographer

A. I. Studios

Jersey City, New Jersey, US

Fact: Mathematically, we can not differentiate between past and future. We can not express them in equations.
Fact: There is no such a thing as NOW, it is always in the past! It takes 80 mil-sec to process info, by then, it is in the past.

Time has no bearings on our interpretation of expressions.
Our past experiences dictates our "current" interpretation of expressions.

All my work is mature work, I have no early work.....I started above 40 wink

Apr 13 19 01:35 am Link

Photographer

fotopfw

Kerkrade, Limburg, Netherlands

I'm well over 40 and I still am slowed down in my tracks when I see a beauty, I still can admire faces and see new things in every model, as I still love fashion. If anything, I look closer now, see more behind a face than when I was young.

Apr 13 19 08:09 am Link

Photographer

StephaneBattesti

Saint-Louis, Alsace, France

Well I'm 20 with 30 years experience ;-) so definitely over 40, but I only started models photography less than a year ago, still all fresh and exciting, and still a lot to discover. I always run to the next shoot :-)

Apr 13 19 10:39 am Link

Photographer

S W I N S K E Y

Saint Petersburg, Florida, US

i get older and older, but the models don't ever seem to get out their 20s...

May 01 19 10:57 am Link

Photographer

Sichenze Photography

Powhatan, Virginia, US

I started shooting in 1972 for the school paper and have been shooting since.  That means I have been shooting for 48 years and I know I have changed.  I like heads and faces now as they have the eyes and the expressions and the windows to the soul.  I don’t think any of that that has changed but my skill and idea that the face is more important then before.  I do not mind the whole of the body but the face does make a shot.

May 01 19 02:04 pm Link

Photographer

tcphoto

Nashville, Tennessee, US

I'm past forty and my thoughts on beauty hasn't changed much. I've always thought that confidence was the best gauge of beauty followed by the usual esthetics. At the other end, I find physical beauty and arrogance to be the least attractive.

May 01 19 02:24 pm Link

Photographer

LnN Studio

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, US

My mind and the calendar disagree on my age. The Calendar lies.

May 02 19 04:20 pm Link

Photographer

Angel House Portraits

Orlando, Florida, US

I am over 40, when I have gone to group meetings its common to see photographers into their 60's. It seems far away but the years go by so quick. I have been doing portraits now for 9 years. Models careers last way shorter. We see young beautiful women as the norm. At least thats the general consensus.

May 02 19 04:23 pm Link

Photographer

JDF Photography

Marengo, Ohio, US

Over 40. Still study faces, body shapes and thinking how to light everything. Plan to keep go until I can't anymore.

May 02 19 06:09 pm Link

Photographer

IMAGINERIES

New York, New York, US

76...Rely more and more on auto focus........

May 02 19 06:15 pm Link

Photographer

Michael DBA Expressions

Lynchburg, Virginia, US

Yup, by 30 years.

May 03 19 09:36 am Link

Photographer

alantan-fotography

Sydney, New South Wales, Australia

every model has something to offer, and it is up to us to capture that moment in a split second. I started late so have no recollection of what it's like as a young fotog.

May 03 19 08:07 pm Link

Photographer

G Reese

Marion, Indiana, US

Comforting to find I'm not the only one that still finds people and their faces interesting.  The eyes, oh yes the eyes. :-)
I figure it'll stop being interesting when they close the lid. At least that is my outlook at 72.

May 03 19 09:41 pm Link

Photographer

All Yours Photography

Lawton, Oklahoma, US

My 32 year old daughter claims that there is something not right about me staying 28 forever, but that's her problem.

I love faces and expressions. Sometimes the hardest thing is to get a model to react. Some models will fight to hold that bland expression while I use some of my best material, then give the reaction I was looking for right after they hear the shutter click.

May 04 19 03:29 am Link

Photographer

dcsmooth

Detroit, Michigan, US

I'm considerably over 40 just like so many others that have replied. At age 70, I have been involved in photography since the late 1960's. 

I have to agree that things do look different with age, and it's easier to pick up on things from expressions and poses.

May 04 19 10:14 am Link

Photographer

GothamPortrait

New York, New York, US

Leonardo da Vinci didn't start work on the Mona Lisa until just after he turned 50. 
Some say he worked on it until he was just over 65.

May 06 19 01:19 pm Link

Photographer

Weldphoto

Charleston, South Carolina, US

De Vinci began Mona Lisa when he was 41 according to Leonardo da Vinci's biographer, Giorgio Vasari.
I'm 73 if I remember correctly...

May 06 19 03:15 pm Link

Photographer

MikeW

Cape Canaveral, Florida, US

I have to laugh that you see 40 as older. There are a few possibilities:
1) You could be a photographer that relies on the technical aspect of capturing an image versus one who is more on the artistic vision type of photographer. Maybe you have never really been connecting with the subject but are now just realizing it.
2) Maybe it is the generation gap between you and your subject. How you relate to a 20 year old when over 40 is different than when you were 30. Also, today's 20+ something person has grown up in a totally different life style than you did.
3) The younger generation has trouble relating to people unless it is via text messaging. This also can be what you are no longer seeing from the current younger generation.

Me: Retired Sr. citizen.

May 09 19 05:06 pm Link